Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Is the "DLI is the sperg capital of the world" thread still around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

I was a farsi analyst for the navy so I can only speak second-hand as to the air force experience, but DLI was already miserable and stressful like nothing else I'd ever done, and the air force seemed to go out of its way to gently caress their students around even harder. I don't know of any way to prepare yourself for it, really. As far as I know, all of the branches have you select or be told your language while in boot. You have a bit of time before classing up once you're at Monterey though, so you can hit some online resources and supplementary schoolhouse stuff to get a jump-start on sound and script, and I highly recommend doing that. You're gonna hate life for a year and a half though.

But as a bit of silver lining, almost every AF guy in my class that graduated ended up loving their job.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

SalTheBard posted:

Is the "DLI is the sperg capital of the world" thread still around?
I don’t think anyone has posted there in years.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
It's only been a couple years

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3319492

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title

Arc Light posted:

If your heart is set on the job, by all means go for it, but otherwise go comm, get a clearance and some professional certs, and walk out in 4 to 6 years with a bunch of nice civilian job offers.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Holy balls Tyndall got hosed

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Hotel Kpro posted:

Holy balls Tyndall got hosed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML_Vn0FF6lM

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The building I spent almost a year working in as a Lt survived, sort of. I suspect inside looks worse than outside. But most of that base probably needs to be bulldozed. :(

That was a good base.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

gently caress that sad face poo poo. Every base I’ve been to was some shithole amalgamation of garbage from the 1950s and up that desperately needed to be bulldozed and rebuilt to modern standards. Good on Tyndall for finally having an excuse they can’t ignore.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Can Hill catch a hurricane some time so they’ll finally get rid of the WW2 warehouses storing hantavirus

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Only thing we might get here is an earthquake. Or if we're lucky the inversion will house some building eating virus and take care of everything

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Fallom posted:

gently caress that sad face poo poo. Every base I’ve been to was some shithole amalgamation of garbage from the 1950s and up that desperately needed to be bulldozed and rebuilt to modern standards. Good on Tyndall for finally having an excuse they can’t ignore.

Tyndall had a lot of 90s and newer stuff. The hangars had major upgrades to support fifth-gen, the ACS facilities were all less than 20 years old, CONR and 325 FW HQ were in good shape. Base housing was loving trash though, and even though nobody I know has been allowed over there yet I'm confident it's at least 90% flattened/washed out to sea.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

drat, it almost looks like it got hit with a nuke

Reverence
Nov 1, 2009

wish minot got hit with a nuke

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
Yall thought you were going to Germany for silver flag, look who just got a major upgrade to their ADAT and DART training courses.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Clavavisage posted:

Yall thought you were going to Germany for silver flag, look who just got a major upgrade to their ADAT and DART training courses.

Thank god I went to Silver Flag last year

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
So I got my first look at the Air Force OCP’s today at drill, and I’m not totally sure about them. The uniform itself is fine, but the spice brown lettering on the nametapes and rank are nearly impossible to see from more than a few feet away.

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I think the army did it right with black lettering.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

It's like we were so close to a great idea and then someone had to go gently caress it up. Spicy brown captain rank is loving duuuumb-looking.

And while we're at it, I get why the flag has to be reversed due to being on the right arm, but why wouldn't you put the flag on the left arm and just have a normal flag goddammit army

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Because we always do the stupidest thing

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Prop Wash posted:

It's like we were so close to a great idea and then someone had to go gently caress it up. Spicy brown captain rank is loving duuuumb-looking.

And while we're at it, I get why the flag has to be reversed due to being on the right arm, but why wouldn't you put the flag on the left arm and just have a normal flag goddammit army

Because the flag goes on the right shoulder. Always been that way.

Only argument against it should be why not full color flag in garrison.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

antimatt posted:

Because the flag goes on the right shoulder. Always been that way.

Uhhh... no?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Yeah aviators seem to have figured out the correct shoulder for the flag to go on. It's one point on which the Air Force and Navy can clearly agree.

And also astronauts and... aviation cooks?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Edit: Should've refreshed.

Left shoulder flags 4lyfe

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Godholio posted:

Edit: Should've refreshed.

Left shoulder flags 4lyfe

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Got an email from the wing thanking me for volunteering to be on the review board for Key Spouse Of The Quarter.

I did not volunteer. I can only assume that leadership is "rewarding" me for doing good work with the exciting opportunity to do more work.

I don't have a spouse, nor any involvement, ever, with spouse activities.

Quarterly awards are absurd to begin with and shouldn't exist.

Spouse awards are even more full of unquantifiable subjective "honcho'd monthly spouse gp--boosted morale 200 troops" nonsense than the average Whole Airman block on an EPR.

I need to sleuth out which of my sins I'm being punished for.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
You could respond to the email telling them that they're mistaken and you didn't volunteer :v:

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

dscruffy1 posted:

You could respond to the email telling them that they're mistaken and you didn't volunteer :v:

I did.

The response was, "Sorry, but we don't know how your name got put in for this. We assumed you volunteered. Blame your chain of command."

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006
So... are they still expecting you to do it?

Also, who writes those packages? Not the spouses I assume.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Belgian Waffle posted:

lol look at this guy

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Vote for one of the stripper wives.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Use the same rigor on the wives as you would on SNCO of the Year imo

Gotta prove you have the hardest job in the military to get the honors

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Belgian Waffle posted:

What does your heart tell you?

Fallom posted:

Use the same rigor on the wives as you would on SNCO of the Year imo

Gotta prove you have the hardest job in the military to get the honors

As far as I can tell, two of the packages went through the normal enlisted bullet vetting process before they were submitted to the wing, so they're full of nonsensical buzzwords and inflated numbers.

The remaining three were evidently done by someone who had heard a bullet described, but had never actually seen one in the wild. Possibly written by the officer whose wife was put in for the award.

atm I'm inclined to go with the nominee who lead a "sensing session" to improve unit morale, just because I had to google the term and it made me laugh.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Officers have to write the same dumbshit bullets.

If she's married to a Lt that would make sense though.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Founded tiger (mom) tm;

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Ask to see metrics on improved morale, point out that as a member of the unit your own morale decreases sharply when put in contact with unit spouses and demand to know the methodology behind the metrics.

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006

Arc Light posted:

What does your heart tell you?

That I'm glad i don't have to do it. Thank you for you're service

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

Belgian Waffle posted:

That I'm glad i don't have to do it. Thank you for you're service

Hot take of the day.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Black Balloon posted:

You're gonna hate life for a year and a half though.

But as a bit of silver lining, almost every AF guy in my class that graduated ended up loving their job.
I was kinda the opposite. Life at DLI was great and class was chill, I could pencil whip my homework in half an hour before class and get by even though the attrition rate in my class was nuts. Got to go into town and have a good time too. Other people had to basically live their lives doing nothing but homework, in class breaks and lunch and their whole weekends. My actual job was awful shift work at first but it's gradually improved since then so now it's pretty sweet actually. Job prospects after the military aren't terrible, either... contractors aren't clamoring for bodies but this isn't a dead end job for sure.

I guess the point is, poo poo's highly variable... but then that can be a perk over a job that you know is just gonna be straight terrible the whole time.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Nice man. I suppose a lot of DLI does depend on your language and how onerous your chain of command is at the time. Monterey's a great town, when the dickheads over you actually give you the chance to enjoy it.

When I was there in 2012 the Air Force spent some time making all of its non-Farsi students march to class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I had to march to class in Biloxi carrying a stupid laptop that didn't actually do anything besides pull up the instruction materials so it was really more of walking creepy because any real parade was impossible without waving your arms to counterbalance the ancient 10 pound laptop