Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Larry Parrish posted:

I had to march to class in Biloxi carrying a stupid laptop that didn't actually do anything besides pull up the instruction materials so it was really more of walking creepy because any real parade was impossible without waving your arms to counterbalance the ancient 10 pound laptop

We also marched in Biloxi and at Shepard, usually arriving back at the dorm to get an earful because another dumbass got a DUI or had a room party.

Thankfully, when I was at Shepard, the dorm was so full, they started selecting people to live off base until the new dorms opened, and since my wife was with me living off base already, I got to do so. So no weekend lockdowns for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

CommieGIR posted:

We also marched in Biloxi and at Shepard, usually arriving back at the dorm to get an earful because another dumbass got a DUI or had a room party.

Thankfully, when I was at Shepard, the dorm was so full, they started selecting people to live off base until the new dorms opened, and since my wife was with me living off base already, I got to do so. So no weekend lockdowns for me.

Hah when I was at Sheppard, they made the off base kids come in for stupid stuff dorm rats did all the time

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Hah when I was at Sheppard, they made the off base kids come in for stupid stuff dorm rats did all the time

They still made me do Dorm cleaning and CQ stuff. I didn't mind. Small price to pay.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

They still made me do Dorm cleaning and CQ stuff. I didn't mind. Small price to pay.

Yeah I mean like RMT, open ranks, etc. Punishment type stuff.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Yeah I mean like RMT, open ranks, etc. Punishment type stuff.

If they had us do it immediately after class or the following Monday I probably did it. Hard to remember.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

If they had us do it immediately after class or the following Monday I probably did it. Hard to remember.

I've blocked out a good portion of my time at Sheppard and Keesler

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The anniversary of me leaving Keesler is still something to be celebrated the 10 year anniversary is in a couple of weeks.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
I will be at Keesler for about 7 months sometime next year. hopefully my experience will be much better than at sheppard as ill be a Officer, have a car, and probably be living off base.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Casimir Radon posted:

The anniversary of me leaving Keesler is still something to be celebrated the 10 year anniversary is in a couple of weeks.

Hell yeah. Thanks for reminding me, I escaped on October 29, 2008. Guess I'll have to drink a beer or something to celebrate.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knives Amilli posted:

I will be at Keesler for about 7 months sometime next year. hopefully my experience will be much better than at sheppard as ill be a Officer, have a car, and probably be living off base.

I actually liked Keesler but the 1C3 course is insanely short

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
The only good thing about Keesler was the down Fridays every other Friday. I was there post-Katrina and there wasn't poo poo to do.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Most of my tech school weekends involved walking down to the beach, picking up booze, drinking on the beach, eating at Waffle House, and then crashing in a room at the Jubilee Inn across the street that I split with a few other guys.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

If there are any comm folks here, get ready for another exciting career field change! The growing pains of the 2E/3C to 3D merger won't hold a candle to this one.

We all knew this was coming, but it's good to know exactly what our top people have been working on these past few years. I don't think I've ever heard the word "agility" repeated as often in a single briefing.

The releasable brief just dropped, and it looks like all 3DXXX AFSCs will gradually merge into the new 1D7X0. Initially, before a new tech school pipeline is stood up, it will be conversion of existing 3D troops into 1D7. Years later, the powers that be will create shreds within the AFSC, but all comm cyber troops will be getting the exact same tech school. No initial specialization. The shreds won't actually exist until after the 3D career field has been fully terminated.

If you've spent a career as a radio troop and you wonder if you're ready to run a sysad shop with no real training or experience, guess what, the needs of the Air Force will be upon you like the jaws of a socially inept wolf. Don't worry, though, there will be "blended learning" to get you up to speed. If I were a betting man, I'd call that code for new CDCs and a CBT or two.

Cyber ops absolutely needs to be a bigger focus than it has been historically, but holy cow, this looks like a crazy way to do it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
IT is only slightly better in the private sector.

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title
Yeah I saw some slides on it yesterday. Was there a rough timeline provided? I just want to retire in a couple years before I lose my poo poo and jump off a building or something, I really don’t want to deal with the chaos of another merger.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Ragaman posted:

Yeah I saw some slides on it yesterday. Was there a rough timeline provided? I just want to retire in a couple years before I lose my poo poo and jump off a building or something, I really don’t want to deal with the chaos of another merger.

Phase 1 should kick off in 2019. That's where they switch people currently in the NOSCs, MDTs, and similar cyber-focused orgs over to the new AFSC.

Phase 2 is when they begin reclassing everyone else. That starts when phase 1 is finished, but no idea how long that will take.

On a highly related note, guess who's got orders to a NOSC?

:negative:

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I've spent my career on layer 2/3 networking and I'm getting moved to sysad/virtualization. I have no idea what I'm doing.

On the bright side, I guess this is something I can throw in the face of anyone who points out the front number of the AFSC indicates how close you are to the front line.

i'M a CyBeR wArRiOr!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Virtualization is a lot of fun, VMWare is easy as cake, setup a little VMWare lab at your house and start tinkering.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I've been radio for just short of 11 years. I don't care about your computers, your Magic cards, or your anime.

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006
Wasn't this stuff supposed to be paired up with changing how Orders get assigned... where they'd actually take into consideration someone's work history/experience with assigning them to a position or did I just make that up?

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

I was there when the COMSEC maintainers were merged into 2E2.

I was there when telephones were merged into 2E2.

I was there when we became 3D1X2 and became Cyber Transporters. We also picked up the VIDS guys.

This is actually the craziest plan I've seen. I can't wait to see the typical DART trying to figure out switching and virtualization with how much whinging I heard about them doing Security+.

But 3.5 years until I retire, SMDFTB Cyber Warriors.

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title
Sounds like I’ll make it out just in time. Retirement can’t come soon enough :gbsmith:

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
i have no IT experience and am in a 17 slot so lol this will be hilarious

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Even though I’m not airfield systems anymore, I’m glad all those guys finally managed to get out of the 3D hellhole and move over to Ops as 1C8’s or something. I’d be terrified of former coworkers of mine working with computers that ran anything newer than XP

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

I remember as a 4A working hospital IT in Japan thinking that the 3D merge was kinda crazy. That plan sounds like the CFMs went on some crazy bender and accidentally hit send on their BlackBerry.

Also hoping that my next assignment has a good cancer clinic because holy hell has the air quality at Osan been poo poo.

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Nov 7, 2018

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
I finished compiling the eighteen references I needed for my background check application. I handed over my birth certificate for ID with it, and found out that because I am a dual citizen, I can't move forward at all until I contact an embassy, write a letter requesting to nullify my non-U.S. citizenship. Until then, I can't apply for MEPS, the DLAB, or the further paperwork that awaits me-- with no guarantees that I'll get into the Air Force. (This last part was repeated by the recruiters several times.)

Can any dual citizens (or former dual citizens) weigh in on this? Does this sound accurate?

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
Welp officially a Noble :toot: commissioned last night in this big gay Air Force. It was the culmination of a long time goal and one of the reasons I joined this board

shouts out to godholio for telling me to avoid being a ABM ( lol those kids are never getting trained because of tyndall) and for the board advice to go enlisted cyber, that decision was instrumental in getting me here

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Can any dual citizens (or former dual citizens) weigh in on this? Does this sound accurate?
Not a dual citizen, but you can’t be a Cryptologic anything as a dual citizen.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Unholy Ghost posted:

I finished compiling the eighteen references I needed for my background check application. I handed over my birth certificate for ID with it, and found out that because I am a dual citizen, I can't move forward at all until I contact an embassy, write a letter requesting to nullify my non-U.S. citizenship. Until then, I can't apply for MEPS, the DLAB, or the further paperwork that awaits me-- with no guarantees that I'll get into the Air Force. (This last part was repeated by the recruiters several times.)

Maybe it was because our career field requires a TS clearance, but they wouldn't even let you have Mexican dual citizenship. Chick in my unit had to give it up and spent like 12 years pulling teeth to get leave passes to Mexico to see her family

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Knives Amilli posted:

Welp officially a Noble :toot: commissioned last night in this big gay Air Force. It was the culmination of a long time goal and one of the reasons I joined this board

shouts out to godholio for telling me to avoid being a ABM ( lol those kids are never getting trained because of tyndall) and for the board advice to go enlisted cyber, that decision was instrumental in getting me here

Congrats Lt, it’s a great feeling. Now get out there and be the best drat clueless Butterbar you can be.

And repeat after me: “Oh, I didn’t know, I’m a new Lt”. Take full advantage of that, because once you hit 02, that excuse is gone forever.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Knives Amilli posted:

Did they explain to you why second lieutenants wear gold bars?

It's so that nobody mistakes them for officers.

Congrats!

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Knives Amilli posted:

Congratulations! Take full advantage of the opportunities that come along with your new lifestyle.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Enlisting or commissioning as an officer? Officer that's all correct. But non-citizens CAN enlist, so I don't know why dual citizens wouldn't be able to. Either way, you will not get the good clearances if you have official ties to a foreign government.

Knives Amilli posted:

Congrats! Enjoy it while the good times last.

The ABM pipeline is still a question mark, but the squadron is up and running and controlling missions again.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Godholio posted:

Enlisting or commissioning as an officer? Officer that's all correct. But non-citizens CAN enlist, so I don't know why dual citizens wouldn't be able to. Either way, you will not get the good clearances if you have official ties to a foreign government.
They were looking at (Airborne) Cryptologic Language Analyst. I can confirm that those career fields are closed to dual citizens in addition to other limitations on foreign contacts based on the security clearance process.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

The Unholy Ghost posted:

So I was a dual citizen with Canada and when I was at MEPS I told them about this. He asked me if I had a Canadian passport and I said I did but it was expired. He said that didn't count and as far as he was concerned I wasn't a citizen so that's what I put down. Maybe 4 years into my enlistment I go renew my Canadian passport cause apparently no one cared. Then later that year my mom sends me a piece of paper proving I'm also British thanks to her being born in the UK. I don't know why they let me through with three citizenships but it sounds like you aren't going to be able to move forward until you're just an american.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

The Unholy Ghost posted:

One of my friends is a Pilot in the USAF. She was dual US-German citizen but had to give up her German citizenship to go to the Academy.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

xaarman posted:

One of my friends is a Pilot in the USAF. She was dual US-German citizen but had to give up her German citizenship to go to the Academy.

Talk about a lovely trade-off

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
She has a Reserve job now and flies for FedEx, life for her has worked out well. It's actually a pretty good (albeit major) trade off.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

pkells posted:

Talk about a lovely trade-off

"Look, the U.S. finished the 20th century 2-0 in World Wars and 1-0 in the Cold War division. There's a lot of concern that they've gone soft and the rest of the world may be catching up, but until someone knocks them off the mountain, it's their championship to lose. And that sort of success is going to draw in recruits. Don't get me wrong--I'm not taking anything away from the the folks down in Berlin. Most people don't realize that they're actually a younger franchise than the U.S. in terms of the national team, and they've built a helluva program using the momentum from the Prussian core they started with. But beating France isn't enough to get the kind of attention from the committee or top-tier talent that's required to get to the next level. Yeah, your industrial base is still solid, and it's ripe recruiting territory, but the U.S. is still a behemoth, and even Russia, a shadow of its former self, is able to push you around with the push of a Gazprom button."

"When we come back, Lee Corso reveals his pick for this century's World War winner. Right after these shitposts."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Sax Offender posted:

"Look, the U.S. finished the 20th century 2-0 in World Wars and 1-0 in the Cold War division. There's a lot of concern that they've gone soft and the rest of the world may be catching up, but until someone knocks them off the mountain, it's their championship to lose. And that sort of success is going to draw in recruits. Don't get me wrong--I'm not taking anything away from the the folks down in Berlin. Most people don't realize that they're actually a younger franchise than the U.S. in terms of the national team, and they've built a helluva program using the momentum from the Prussian core they started with. But beating France isn't enough to get the kind of attention from the committee or top-tier talent that's required to get to the next level. Yeah, your industrial base is still solid, and it's ripe recruiting territory, but the U.S. is still a behemoth, and even Russia, a shadow of its former self, is able to push you around with the push of a Gazprom button."

"When we come back, Lee Corso reveals his pick for this century's World War winner. Right after these shitposts."

Got it, Germany is UCF

Well done