Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

I’ve stayed in too many garbage AF Inns with zero internet connectivity and extremely dated and disgusting furnishing. Why should I have to stay in some loving roach motel when all the ones off base offer the gov’t rate anyway? It costs the feds more to maintain those loving shacks than it does to pay for a night at the Marriot.

Because if you're at Holloman, your wing commander put it in writing that you'll do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
All of my (admittedly limited) AF Inn experiences have been fantastic compared to Navy lodging.

Lackland AFB: we have to make an emergency divert and arrive unexpectedly on a Friday afternoon. Check-in office has a lounge, library, and minimart that sells $2 beers. This is supposedly the less-desirable, older section. Rooms were indeed furnished with older furniture, but everything was in good condition and working order.

Mountain Home AFB: rooms are loving enormous and they sell Mountain Home brand wine at the front desk.

Naval Station Norfolk (one example): room air conditioning either doesn't work at all or is on full blast all the time. What I thought was an abstract design in the painting on my wall turns out to be a huge fan of black mold growing underneath the glass.

Patuxent River: sweet 70's decor, slightly brought down by the regular power failures every morning as the building electrical grid got overloaded when people got up.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Godholio posted:

It's because AF Inns are managed by contractors, and you get shithead base commanders decreeing that people WILL use on-base lodging even if it's not technically required. Can't remember which pilot training base that was.

Holloman AFB in New Mexico.

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013
JB Charleston aint bad; out of the three or four buildings they've got set aside, only one still has that seedy, "been around since the 60s/70s," smell. Internet wasn't horrible either - not great, but not horrible.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
I TDY down to Kessler for a class about 5 years ago, while my cousin in the Army Guard was at Camp Shelby for some sort of training. We were planning on meeting up if possible one weekend. He called me on a Friday letting me know he couldn’t get off base, and wouldn’t be able to meet up. He then asked how my room was on base, and I answered honestly:

“It kinda sucks, the AC barely works, and the TV’s in both my rooms (it was one of those converted dorms with a bathroom in the middle) are old tube TV’s, and the WiFi is slow.”

He paused for a second, and then said “You’re a senior airman and you’re bitching about non-HD TV’s in your suite, while I’m an officer and I’m sharing a bunk bed in a large bay with 50 other guys?! loving Air Force!”

It really put things in perspective, and made me glad I didn’t join the army.

But still, that old Keesler lodging building sucked.

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013
Hahaha! Had a similar situation in Hawaii a couple of years back. We stayed in a 3 star in Honolulu and the poor Army Reserve shlubs that came onboard the project were living it up in GP Mediums that were at least framed out and had a floor at Schofield.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Temporarily assigning Army guys to AF bases seems like a special kind of torture for them

Always knowing what's waiting for you at the end of the rotation

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

On my last duty day before my PCS final out, I got hit for a rando urinalysis.

I waited almost the full two hours to report for testing, because I had a bunch of signatures I needed to get, turn in my line badge, etc etc etc.

Naturally, the testing folks had called it a day by the time I got there. So my last official action at Barksdale AFB was peeing in a cup while my first shirt watched.

Apparently, it wasn't his favorite way to end a day, either.

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title
Secretly he probably loved it though.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My piss monitors are never secret about loving it

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
(hey AF thread, it's been a while)

pkells posted:

I TDY down to Kessler for a class about 5 years ago, while my cousin in the Army Guard was at Camp Shelby for some sort of training. We were planning on meeting up if possible one weekend. He called me on a Friday letting me know he couldn’t get off base, and wouldn’t be able to meet up. He then asked how my room was on base, and I answered honestly:

“It kinda sucks, the AC barely works, and the TV’s in both my rooms (it was one of those converted dorms with a bathroom in the middle) are old tube TV’s, and the WiFi is slow.”

He paused for a second, and then said “You’re a senior airman and you’re bitching about non-HD TV’s in your suite, while I’m an officer and I’m sharing a bunk bed in a large bay with 50 other guys?! loving Air Force!”

If those are what I think they are, I stayed in those for training way back in 2005. Now, at least they weren't the ones on the other side of the base that had black mold and wet carpet that some of my classmates had to stay in...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Keesler's on base lodging wasn't that bad when I went through on 2009, but Sheppard was bad. The Training Squadron Dorms were so moldy, they had closed half the rooms, and since I was married and my wife was nearby, they allowed us to live off base during training.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Sheppard was notoriously bad. And the surrounding area is such a shithole that it was off-limits to our wing unless you were on orders to go there or had an altitude chamber appt.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Older dorms on Osan were poo poo. Still dumbfounded how I was assigned a room that someone

A: drew blue graffiti all over the walls and then...
B: Tried to cover it up with a single coat of white paint, and then...
C: was allowed to outprocess despite obvious graffiti still on the walls, and then...
D: stuck an airman straight out of tech school in said room.

I ended up having to put three coats of paint myself on that shithole just to make it look like I wasn't spending my nights in the dorms wearing solid colored shirts that were two sizes too big for me. Of course, these are the same dorms that contained the geniuses who took the day room furniture and burned on the BBQ pit grill because reasons. In retrospect perhaps my expectations were too high. Those dorms were condemned shortly after I left Korea.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Holy poo poo I think I found an Air Force program that actually works. Finishing up day two of the Deployment Transition Center course and it’s basically a giant vacation. Obliterated the “4” drink limit since the instructors were there to make sure things didn’t get out of hand last night and spent today in Trier where after lunch together they said we could just go and do whatever we wanted on our own as long as we got back to the bus on time and now we have to the whole rest of the night to go back out if we want or do whatever. They put you up in the TLF so it’s orettt nice on that end also.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Godholio posted:

One of our dudes wrote an OPR with the first letters of each bullet spelling LEGEND vertically. It made it through and wasn't revealed until the next callsign night. The commander just facepalmed.

Son of a bitch. I tried to get the front of my EPR to read ‘Legendary’ but couldn’t find a verb beginning with Y that didn’t suck.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Our shop chief's EPR included RICKROLL in his.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Engineering career adviser told me I would be getting a career broadening assignment next, whether I volunteered or not

Anyway, I’m a lot more read up on the separation process than I was 3 days ago

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

CommieGIR posted:

Keesler's on base lodging wasn't that bad when I went through on 2009, but Sheppard was bad. The Training Squadron Dorms were so moldy, they had closed half the rooms, and since I was married and my wife was nearby, they allowed us to live off base during training.

Keesler got pretty well hosed up during Katrina so they probably had to at least strip out and rebuild interiors.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Our shop chief's EPR included RICKROLL in his.
Yesterday was the first briefing Powerpoint I've seen in a while that didn't have some stupid meme poo poo in it.

hannibal posted:

Keesler got pretty well hosed up during Katrina so they probably had to at least strip out and rebuild interiors.
From what I understand the triangle dorms were untouched by Katrina. A lot of other base stuff was damaged so they ended up shuffling a lot of the students onto their units to learn OJT.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Casimir Radon posted:

Yesterday was the first briefing Powerpoint I've seen in a while that didn't have some stupid meme poo poo in it.

From what I understand the triangle dorms were untouched by Katrina. A lot of other base stuff was damaged so they ended up shuffling a lot of the students onto their units to learn OJT.

I was at Keesler in 2001 and stayed in the old 338th overflow dorms. Greatest time of my tech school life!

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Casimir Radon posted:

We had a guy who got pcsed out early due to Katrina. Like 8 months later they made him go back to redo school and forced him to stay in the dorms and do phases and poo poo again despite being permanent party and being treated like an adult for that period. loving nuts.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

One of our guys got sent home and they didn't make him go back, probably because we're guard. He was a loving rear end in a top hat, great technical skills, but unapproachable and not willing to teach you anything unless he got to jump all over you for not knowing it already.

A guy from the WI guard who was weapons load told me that for certain maintainer AFSCs they didn't even have to do tech school at all. They'd bring them home right after basic and put them through the curriculum at home OJT. Can't see something like that flying today.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Feb 3, 2018

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
I thought I stayed outside of the triangle somewhere, but nope, looking again I stayed in one of the T-shaped buildings on the south side of the triangle. Weren't there rooms on the east side of the base somewhere? I seem to remember that's where the old ones with the mold problems were.

I remember hearing that the hospital/BX/commissary area got hit really bad and looking at the map that makes sense since they're closer to the Back Bay.

When I was at Ramstein we had some inbound people who were at Keesler during Katrina and they kept them there longer to help with cleanup. Double suck - forced to stay and help clean up after a hurricane and being kept from going to Germany.

Kranrev
Jun 1, 2000

"No damn cat, and no damn cradle."
I got off the bus from basic to Keesler one week before Katrina. They had us shelter in the Ground Radio/Metnav schoolhouse sleeping on concrete floors for 3 days before they let us back in the 338th dorms which had been completely untouched. They evacuated most of the tech schoolers just to free up those dorms on the quad for TDY people but kept one dorm full of 'volunteer' pipeliners for the dirty work. We were doing 6 12s of details cleaning up billeting/BX/commissary but at least they took away the phase system, so I could go to the E club and get drunk with tdy SNCOs two weeks out of basic.

Great times. Also, my room mate was on admin hold while the OSI investigated him for CP and kept trying to get me to watch hentai.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
There was a guy in our dorm who was also on hold for CP in 2010. Probably not the same dude

Kranrev
Jun 1, 2000

"No damn cat, and no damn cradle."
Between the unsettling youthful looks of this Airman and the 'efficiency' of the OSI I would not be surprised either way.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
We had a guy who got caught dealing heroin out of the Sheppard dorms. They found him because he stashed it in the defunct heater, and the base finally got around to repairing the dorms heaters.

He then escaped the airmen assigned to watch him, got his keys off the desk of the MTL, and fled to Mexico, only to be turned in by his mom.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

We had a guy who got caught dealing heroin out of the Sheppard dorms. They found him because he stashed it in the defunct heater, and the base finally got around to repairing the dorms heaters.

To be fair, the odds were massively in his favor

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

So, looks like I'll be living off base near Osan.

Any recommendations on places to stay (or, more importantly, places to avoid)? It's ferociously unlikely that I'll get an exception to policy letter for a POV, so I'm looking at walking distance only.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Arc Light posted:

So, looks like I'll be living off base near Osan.

Any recommendations on places to stay (or, more importantly, places to avoid)? It's ferociously unlikely that I'll get an exception to policy letter for a POV, so I'm looking at walking distance only.

Depends on your family/living situation and what space you'll need.

The realtors are pretty much the way to go in Korea, I think the ones you go to will determine the areas you get. I stayed in Base View D, which is about five minutes left out the main gate. Past the parking garage and a left right past the first hill dip. Pretty much all the apartments should be furnished. nullscan has been in Korea between Osan and Yongsan for something like 10 years, he might have a good take on places to go.

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title
Should be multiple good options within 5 minutes of the front gate. Just go through a realtor as has been mentioned. I was just there in 2016 and had no issues finding a brand new 3 bedroom apartment like 3 minutes from the gate (go down the main drag, hang a left at Baskin Robins and you could see my 5 story apartment across the street/cater corner to a Vietnamese restaurant and 7/11 at the intersection.) I used Ace Realty which is in Aragon alley, had no issues and they were easy to work with. PS: that Vietnamese restaurant had excellent pho, highly recommend it!

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Thanks for the advice. I worked with a couple of realtors, ended up with a place decently far from base (~10 minute walk), but the floor space is huge and I specifically wanted to be away from drunk American idiots, so it's perfect for me.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Ragaman posted:

Should be multiple good options within 5 minutes of the front gate. Just go through a realtor as has been mentioned. I was just there in 2016 and had no issues finding a brand new 3 bedroom apartment like 3 minutes from the gate (go down the main drag, hang a left at Baskin Robins and you could see my 5 story apartment across the street/cater corner to a Vietnamese restaurant and 7/11 at the intersection.) I used Ace Realty which is in Aragon alley, had no issues and they were easy to work with. PS: that Vietnamese restaurant had excellent pho, highly recommend it!

I was there in 2014 and remember this Vietnamese restaurant, their pho is pretty great.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

pkells posted:

I jumped from Army NG to AFNG in Michigan and theres so much truth in this it's painful. WW2 era barracks at Camp Grayling sans wifi and grey eggs is the Army way.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

thegalagakid posted:

I jumped from Army NG to AFNG in Michigan and theres so much truth in this it's painful. WW2 era barracks at Camp Grayling sans wifi and grey eggs is the Army way.

This was my experience last AT. Single bay barracks, no AC or heat (just an exhaust fan on each end and windows) and the power was out for several days. Thanks, Army.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

dscruffy1 posted:

I was there in 2014 and remember this Vietnamese restaurant, their pho is pretty great.

Meh. Not a lot of meat and their noodles aren't great. Broth has gotten better over the years though.

Glad you found a place Arc, hit me up on kakao sometime, same user name.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
Lol if you aren't getting paid. Again.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

AFN at Osan just cut off in the middle of the US/Korea Curling match

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006

nullscan posted:

AFN at Osan just cut off in the middle of the US/Korea Curling match

I am super angry about this.