Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Precambrian Video Games posted:

side note: it's ok to vote for orange clowns up here.

i've been voting for the orange clowns my whole life and all they do is support the liberals in minority governments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Juul-Whip posted:

people will just say anything they heard on tv. I can exactly predict my parents opinions on current events by checking what CBC’s been reporting about that week

an informed electorate is critical to a healthy liberal democracy

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Still waiting to hear how having a higher credit score will make rentals more affordable or eliminate stagnant wages.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

I just listened to the full announcement and does this bozo actually think people are out here bargaining and negotiating rent? Because the vacancy rate is less than 0.5% where I live and so if you arent among the first dozen people to message about the $3k/ mth shithole, youve already lost it.

e: also theres no rent control.
e2: also every landlord does fixed-term so they can increase whatever they want with no legal recourse.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The only stories I've heard of negotiating rent past like 1987 it's been people bidding over each other by offering to pay more than was asked lol

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

canada added 1.27 million people last year. well done sex havers

oh wait

quote:

"In 2023, the vast majority (97.6%) of Canada's population growth came from international migration (both permanent and temporary immigration) and the remaining portion (2.4%) came from natural increase," Statscan said in a statement.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

ElehemEare posted:

I just listened to the full announcement and does this bozo actually think people are out here bargaining and negotiating rent? Because the vacancy rate is less than 0.5% where I live and so if you arent among the first dozen people to message about the $3k/ mth shithole, youve already lost it.

e: also theres no rent control.
e2: also every landlord does fixed-term so they can increase whatever they want with no legal recourse.

This isn't for you, this is for people who have $300,000 saved up for a 20% downpayment on a 2 bedroom condo where paying 6% on a 1.2 million dollar mortgage is too expensive, but 5.5% is very affordable!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RealityWarCriminal posted:

well done sex havers

thank you

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
The only thing I'm loving, is tired.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

apatheticman posted:

The only thing I'm loving, is tired.

haven't met him before

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

RBC posted:

lol what a sack of poo poo

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Ngl if the renter's bill of rights makes it so that anti-pet clauses are no longer allowed I will vote for whoever the Liberal candidate is in my riding instead of nobody because I would really like to get a corgi to take on hikes and hang out with me watching tv

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
none of that poo poo matters. its all unenforcable in practice and landlords will continue to act like discriminatory pieces of poo poo.

give renters some loving money

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Federal government isn't going to do poo poo for renters, but any provincial government could end renovictions, improve rent control or allow pets.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

this bill is for landlords to ruin peoples credit scores for non payment.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

RealityWarCriminal posted:

i've been voting for the orange clowns my whole life and all they do is support the liberals in minority governments

If you voted a little harder maybe they could become the minority government supported by Liberals instead.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Noblesse Obliged posted:

this bill is for landlords to ruin peoples credit scores for non payment.

Can't they already?
My reading is this is just some vox.com kind of policy that might have been marginally useful for a small number of people15 years ago

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

COPE 27 posted:

Can't they already?
My reading is this is just some vox.com kind of policy that might have been marginally useful for a small number of people15 years ago

Non-payment may only affect a tenants credit score if there is judgement order by the Landlord and Tenant Board or the Small Claims Court and the order is registered with the Small Claims Court for collection.

Guess what will happen if you DONT apply voluntarily to report payment of rent under this new law?

this is a trap. this is for landlords with some glitter on it to fool people.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
the big part of the lack of housing availability is' of course, decades of negligence and mismanagement of real estate to the favor of real estate moguls, but a large part of our skyrocketing cost of living initially came from the availability of credit for mortgages

those are of course connected, but the Harper Conservatives pulled a similar trick and it basically screwed everyone immediately instead of the slow crawl towards destitution we were heading towards

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Good thing he didn't also gut research and manufacturing or we'd really be in the poo poo. Imagine having an economy that only generates value from selling properties back and forth to each other on increasingly worsening mortgages

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

flakeloaf posted:

Good thing he didn't also gut research and manufacturing or we'd really be in the poo poo. Imagine having an economy that only generates value from selling properties back and forth to each other on increasingly worsening mortgages

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1.7106254

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

this really is not selling me on the concept of ontario

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
"natural increase" is certainly a euphemism

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/_llebrun/status/1773123767218106634?t=zSCSFA3ljL_WGkuONLGy0g&s=19

Lol of course.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

flakeloaf posted:

gee i wonder what sun media means by "trucker"

i'm a fuckin prophet

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

flakeloaf posted:

this poo poo is FIRE, bro

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

flakeloaf posted:

i'm a fuckin prophet

nice1

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

i will vote for he who promises to melt all landlords in acid

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
DEATH SHIP

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

RBC posted:

none of that poo poo matters. its all unenforcable in practice and landlords will continue to act like discriminatory pieces of poo poo.

give renters some loving money

yeah i'm pretty sure you can't actually ban pets in ontario at least. people put all sorts of stupid poo poo in their leases that's technically unenforceable but your relationship with your landlord exists without any real oversight and you're entirely at their mercy unless they do truly illegal stuff like turn off your heat/water or shoot you (and in the latter case it's posthumously)

just look at rental ads in the GTA and you can spot the dozens of illegal basement apartments, illegal sharing of utilities, specific demands for tenants of a specific gender/religion, specific demands for quiet hours during the day, and so on. god help you if you or your partner is pregnant or you have children.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 03:16 on Mar 28, 2024

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

DaysBefore posted:

The only stories I've heard of negotiating rent past like 1987 it's been people bidding over each other by offering to pay more than was asked lol

i have heard a bunch of stories like this in TO over the last year. friend's place flooded so she had to move, and kept getting beaten out by people offering to put up 4 or 6 months rent in advance.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Dreylad posted:

you're entirely at their mercy unless they do truly illegal stuff like turn off your heat/water or shoot you (and in the latter case it's posthumously)

Youre right, its good that landlords who do deplorable poo poo receive swift and proportionate consequences.

quote:

Halifax officials have given notice to a local developer that they intend to revoke the company's demolition permit.

The move follows a stop-work order issued on Dec. 4 to Ardmore Hall Inc., operated by Stavros and George Giannoulis. The parent company is Mosaik Properties.

Crews began tearing down a building at the corner of North and Oxford streets, even though a tenant had not moved out of one of the units and was appealing his eviction.

<>

Social media posts said the tenant lost all of their belongings due to the demolition.

quote:

A Halifax development company that started demolishing an apartment building with a tenant still living there has been issued two penalties totalling $1,000 by the province's Department of Labour.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

lmao that penalty is less then my rent, what a loving joke

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i only know in barrie the police actually arrested some dipshit who cut his tenant's heating.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

I dont expect this will be the last Trudeau housing policy hell float before the election but I fully expect that every single one will be idiotic bullshit that will drive up housing prices in general and help a grand total of 100 people who already had down payments saved up.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

invite a million people in, build some new houses. simple loving as

Segue
May 23, 2007

It's frustrating because, like with health and education which are also falling apart, a lot of the policy levers for housing are at the mercy of the lovely conservative premiers that immiserate us all. If Trudeau could do anything it would be actually reinstitute federal house building but that requires a tax base, institutional will, and frankly an infrastructure knowledge that we've farmed out to the lovely private sector (look at transit projects).

He could say gently caress the division of powers but he's lost badly in the courts recently on environment regs so he's gunshy and meanwhile Premiers who have been in power for a decade are robbing futures.

And I don't mean to excuse him, he should absolutely do more that his beliefs won't let him do, but god the Premiers are just boobs ripping apart lives. The fact that we're talking about a federal disability program because Premiers are killing people by not improving theirs is so frustrating.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Segue posted:

It's frustrating because, like with health and education which are also falling apart, a lot of the policy levers for housing are at the mercy of the lovely conservative premiers that immiserate us all. If Trudeau could do anything it would be actually reinstitute federal house building but that requires a tax base, institutional will, and frankly an infrastructure knowledge that we've farmed out to the lovely private sector (look at transit projects).

He could say gently caress the division of powers but he's lost badly in the courts recently on environment regs so he's gunshy and meanwhile Premiers who have been in power for a decade are robbing futures.

And I don't mean to excuse him, he should absolutely do more that his beliefs won't let him do, but god the Premiers are just boobs ripping apart lives. The fact that we're talking about a federal disability program because Premiers are killing people by not improving theirs is so frustrating.

Trudeauishly: Listen, all the taxes need to go to Lockheed Martin. That is the only possible use of this 74 billion dollars

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

ARACHTION posted:

I dont expect this will be the last Trudeau housing policy hell float before the election but I fully expect that every single one will be idiotic bullshit that will drive up housing prices in general and help a grand total of 100 people who already had down payments saved up.

Looking forward to the new Housing Affordability Savings Plan, which will allows TFSA overcontributions to be moved into a maxed out FHSA without requiring taxpayers to pay a penalty for overcontributing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Actually nah, it'll probably be some sort of tax deduction for giving your kids money for a downpayment