Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
prosperity for every generation

loving lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Lol almost all of these seem to be venture capital scam startups. No Irvings, no Westons, no Sobeys or McCains. Our gentry families didn't even bother to sign

The two Halifax companies seem to be a) an AI-powered (??) property app for landlords and b) a fart app for investors

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Lmfao

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I expected to see the Shopify CEO on there considering that he's been dragging the tax on twitter, but I guess he's smart enough not to sign poo poo like this.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

So where is the line for using slurs in this thread?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

digitalist posted:

tabarnak

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

vyelkin posted:

tabarnak

Mods??? MODS???????? :mods:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

digitalist posted:

just don’t say cis, that’s the worst one

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

It's okay to say luxury condo as long as it's after Wednesday.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

vyelkin posted:

tabarnak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIFvgSCzg4E

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

canada will be sorry when all the top dermatologists and M&A lawyers leave the country over high tax rates

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mediaphage posted:

just don’t say cis, that’s the worst one

a cis only deals in gender absolutes

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

80% of these are tech, finance and housing companies

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
thanks for the guillotine list !

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Precambrian Video Games posted:

It's okay to say luxury condo as long as it's after Wednesday.

it's l*xury condo you loving shitlord

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

this thread is out of control

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

digitalist posted:

this thread is out of control

take away their cerb, make it sting

Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff
80 of those signatures are from vancouver lmao

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
"no, please don't tax my benefactors!" buncha cucks

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

infernal machines posted:

literally one of the subway ads alberta bought here in toronto was "you can buy a house here"

of course then some idiot does and realizes that their suburb of a suburb of one of the two cities in the province doesn't have a cactus club and it all ends in tears

Also known as the Newfoundland outport village problem

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Lol at Andrea Horwath privatising Hamilton's busses. Vote Orange No Matter Who

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
"if you marginally increase the tax on my startup scratchers I'll have to start paying people in dollars! this is the government's problem somehow!"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

DaysBefore posted:

wait, what?

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

DaysBefore posted:

lol WHAT

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yeah that claim needs some support because say what you will about horwath that’s the opposite take she’s given for years. she’s even vetoing council to build affordable housing over parking lots because nimbys keep crying that they need the parking lots for their use

seems like a pretty big divergence

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Erm, the news says council voted to have a private operator for the new LRT for the first 10 years with an option to return to city control, while Horwath seems to want to make that option mandatory. I have no idea why it needs a private operator at all but apparently Waterloo's ION is privately operated on a 30-year contract (!!) so P3 fans in southern Ontario keep winning I guess.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yeah i don’t think this is wholly horwaths fault here despite what the other poster suggested

here’s an article

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.7176847

quote:

Hamilton council is expected to recommend that the coming light rail transit (LRT) line be operated by a third party for the first 10 years of its life, before being taken over by the municipality.

The majority of councillors voted in favour of the recommendation Wednesday at the General Issues Committee, despite a push from several delegates, some councillors and other local elected officials to keep LRT operations public from the start.

The decision still has to be ratified formally by council next week. It will then be presented to provincial transit agency Metrolinx, which has the final say, since it will own the LRT.

Metrolinx's chief operating officer of rapid transit, Steve Levene, outlined "the main considerations" the province and Metrolinx will be using to make that call, in a letter submitted ahead of Wednesday's meeting.

Those considerations include potential operators' experience running an LRT system, their ability to maintain "the highest level of overall performance," risk, and Hamilton's feedback.

On Jan. 29, the city's transit sub-committee pushed the decision on the issue to this week's meeting of the committee, on which all councillors sit, emphasizing the complexity and importance of the issue. At the time, transit committee members said they wanted more input.

Staff previously reported four possible models for LRT operation:

A third party fully operates the LRT.

The city performs "passenger interface activities," such as fare enforcement and customer relations as in the case of the Region of Waterloo's LRT and the planned Hazel McCallion Line in Peel Region.

The city shares operations and performs passenger interface activities.

The city performs all operational activities, as is the case with the Toronto Transit Commission's forthcoming Eglinton Crosstown and Finch West lines, and the City of Ottawa's Confederation Line.

Staff recommended the second model.

On Wednesday, Abdul Shaikh, who directs Hamilton's LRT project office, said the first model risked creating passenger confusion, and staff were not aware of any other LRT systems using the third approach.

"Model 2 appears to have many advantages," he said, including the second-lowest cost to the city, and few disadvantages that could be "easily mitigated." He also said having a third party manage more operations would reduce the city's liability.

A staff presentation said that regardless of who operates the system, Metrolinx and the city will set schedules and service levels, and the city will set fares and be entitled to fare box revenue. They also said any contractor would be required to meet performance standards.

The report said staff considered customer experience, risks and liability, costs to the city, and how different parties would work together, in that order, when making the recommendation.

Staff also recommended a "transitional approach" in which the city would ask to go with Model 2 for a decade, with the option of switching to Model 4 after.

Late in the afternoon, Mayor Andrea Horwath moved an amendment to the staff recommendation by which the city will start preparing to assume operations from a third-party operator within five years.

She said the "compromise" respects the staff recommendation while still committing to a city-run LRT in the future.

Coun. Ted McMeekin (Ward 15) seconded the motion, agreeing that it was a "good way forward and it's an honest compromise."

Coun. Brad Clark disagreed, saying the "bottom line" for him is that the city has an obligation to try and run the LRT from the start.

He was among six councillors who voted against the final recommendation, saying if the city is to be accountable for the transit service, it needs to have operational control.

Delegates spoke in favour of fully public operation

For more than three hours during the meeting, about 20 delegates spoke in favour of fully public operations.

Members of local labour and environmental groups arrived with a sizeable coalition of supporters wearing blue Keep Transit Public t-shirts. A handful of delegates spoke in favour of the public model, saying they were representing themselves rather than organizations.

They shared concerns that a private operator would be less accountable to riders than the city would be, that they may not offer unionized jobs, and that the city would relinquish too much control by pushing for Model 2.

"We do not need Hamilton's public transit to become the next Highway 407," Stewart Klazinga, with tenant rights group Hamilton ACORN, said.

Mason Fitzpatrick, the vice president of Canadian Union of Public Employees 3906, which represents academic workers at McMaster University, warned, "We're not going to have our hand held by the private sector. We're going to be dragged by them."

Environment Hamilton executive director Ian Borsuk asked why the city would not want to run something it has to pay for. "Do you want to tell future riders it's not your problem?"

Members of Amalgamated Transit Union Local 107, which represents Hamilton Street Railway operators, argued language in their collective agreement means their union, and therefore the HSR, should take over operations.

No delegates spoke in favour of a privately run LRT.

On Monday, Hamilton Centre Independent MPP Sara Jama and NDP MP Matthew Green joined members of the Keep Transit Public Coalition to speak in favour of public ownership, too.

On Wednesday, Shaikh said the public model would be the most seamless customer experience, and give the city the most control over implementing equity policies. But, he said, it would create more risk for the city and cost the most of the four options.

How council voted:

For: McMeekin, M. Wilson, Tadeson, Spadafora, Danko, Beattie, Pauls, Cassar, Horwath

Against: Jackson, Hwang, Francis, Kroetsch, Clark, A. Wilson

Corrections

An earlier version of this story referred to a Jan. 30 meeting of the city's transit sub-committee. The meeting was in fact held on Jan. 29.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Yeah woops it was trams not busses. Anyway another epic W for privatisation voting ftw

milkrun
Mar 7, 2007

The sheer level of bitching and moaning I'm seeing over the capital gains tax increase is bringing me dangerously close to liking Trudeau

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
They should have done it years ago.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yeah again i don’t see this as a big deal for hamilton. this isn’t like privatization where you sell off government owned properties. some company is just going to run it for a few years. i just can’t be bothered getting my dander up over it.

certainly not to the point of crying online about horwatj being some great orange betrayer. the city is getting lrt, take the win

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

milkrun posted:

The sheer level of bitching and moaning I'm seeing over the capital gains tax increase is bringing me dangerously close to liking Trudeau

can’t be assed to liking him at this point but he definitely reminds me of an obama in that while there’s plenty not to like about him the response is so overwhelming in the other direction that it’s insane

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
little pp needs an anchor tattoo on his forearm

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

mediaphage posted:

yeah again i don’t see this as a big deal for hamilton. this isn’t like privatization where you sell off government owned properties. some company is just going to run it for a few years. i just can’t be bothered getting my dander up over it.

certainly not to the point of crying online about horwatj being some great orange betrayer. the city is getting lrt, take the win

Right and in ten years they'll hand them to the city, which will have no knowledge base of working with them, just as they start needing repairs lol. Any privatisation is bad and the Orange Landlords voting for privatising anything, at all... is also bad

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

DaysBefore posted:

Right and in ten years they'll hand them to the city, which will have no knowledge base of working with them, just as they start needing repairs lol. Any privatisation is bad and the Orange Landlords voting for privatising anything, at all... is also bad

yeah so just skip over the part where horwath set in five years to start training the city on how to operate so they can build up a knowledge base

wait no i’m sorry rahhhr horwath bad rahhrrrrr

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

mediaphage posted:

yeah so just skip over the part where horwath set in five years to start training the city on how to operate so they can build up a knowledge base

wait no i’m sorry rahhhr horwath bad rahhrrrrr

Thank you for agreeing that the orange landlord party is also bad. Glad we could come to agreement :)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
ah, yeah, so they're doing the p3 model with some hopeful plan to transition to municipally run in a decade. presumably because they're worried about things like operational expertise and being responsible for infrastructure.

not great, but not quite as bad as i thought from the original post

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

DaysBefore posted:

ideally there's enough knowledge in house or at least the ability to hire it to run this thing and the funding from the municipality to service and operate it. somehow, instead, we're here and willing to half-rear end it but at least they're paying lip service to the notion of having the municipality (and local 107) operate and eventually maintain it.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Oh Andrea Horwath herself is a landlord. drat that's badass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

DaysBefore posted:

Oh Andrea Horwath herself is a landlord. drat that's badass

lol yeah i’m sure renting out her basement is really cramping housing