Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

DaysBefore posted:

Write it anyway. It'll matter just as much

I'll have a chance to help the Bloc become the official opposition though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

Incredibly unlikely, but we're still a ways out and who knows what could happen, and I'd be old enough to appreciate something like that happening this time around

edit: english is hard

digitalist has issued a correction as of 03:02 on Apr 19, 2024

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

https://twitter.com/nick_kapur/status/1781187507415080963

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Ouch, that’s a roast.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

madmatt112 posted:

Ouch, that’s a roast.

No doubt Canada is racist, but somehow I don't think Japan is better?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVui1WHVwOU

The video linked in replies to that thread is pretty good.

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

hard agree

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Don Pigeon posted:

lol yeah japan is racist as hell

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
mai ethnostate waifu

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 22 minutes!
I'm wondering if they have specific racist stereotypes about, say, Australians and Swedes and other types of white people or if they think we are all just loud smelly Americans who are only visiting/living in Japan because we love cartoons

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

I'm wondering if they have specific racist stereotypes about, say, Australians and Swedes and other types of white people or if they think we are all just loud smelly Americans who are only visiting/living in Japan because we love cartoons

They would be right tbf

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017
Probation
https://twitter.com/Avaviel/status/1781219484738736594?t=3k9vwj4jR4GHIcgTSr-59Q&s=19

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017
Probation
[Canada] It's OK if you can prepare for death

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

where's the lie

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Don Pigeon posted:

A Korean buddy of mine left Japan because of the racism they faced being a mixed ethnicity couple. They moved to BOISE, IDAHO and prefer it there for those reasons. I don’t know if it’s less or more racist because people there would have no idea they were not the same ethnicity?

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

[Canada] a big ball of complaints and racism

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Hubbert posted:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I love complaining, it's my favourite hobby. Can't deny it.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Hubbert posted:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Hubbert posted:

lol

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

[Canada] It's OK if you can prepare for death

Hubbert posted:

lol both are good, sadly there can be only one

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017
Probation

Precambrian Video Games posted:

I think complaining sucks and should be a lot more satisfying than it is

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

I hear it's a lot more fun in a hot tub in front of parliament

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
honk honk!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Big politics news:

https://twitter.com/PizzaPizzaLtd/status/1780306571584520364

Justin... it's time to bite, bite, pass (legislation to improve material conditions).

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

I thought this was nice, a step in the right direction at least

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/mohawk-council-inks-deal-with-hydro-quebec-on-electricity-transmission-line-to-new-york

quote:

In a historic agreement that could serve as a template for future land deals, Hydro-Québec and the Mohawk Council of Kahnawake signed an accord Thursday that will make the Indigenous community a co-owner of a $1.1-billion transmission line exporting electricity to New York City.

It will be the first time Hydro-Québec shares ownership of its transmission infrastructure with a third party and a First Nation community. With the Crown corporation projecting it will run out of energy surpluses by 2027 and will need to build dams and wind farms on Indigenous lands to meet growing demand, the partnership is a sign of things to come, said Hydro-Québec CEO Michael Sabia.
Article content
Article content

“When I look into the future, one thing is crystal clear: the immense challenge of the energy transition will require creativity and open minds,” he said at the official signing of the project agreements in Kahnawake. “I hope this agreement will serve as an example of how we can work differently with other Indigenous partners across Quebec.”

Noting that historically, dealings with Hydro-Québec “have not been rosy,” Kahnawake Grand Chief Kahsennenhawe Sky-Deer said the community showed resilience in overcoming a painful past to provide for the future.

“This is a special moment in our history. In Kahnawake it resonates and echoes also because we know that self-determination, finding new ways forward, new ways to provide an economy for our people, is paramount,” she said. “For generations to come, this is something that we can be proud of.”

The partnership involves a 25-year deal first broached in 2021 for Hydro-Québec to provide an electricity transmission line to New York City, carrying enough energy — 1,250 MW — to power one million homes and reduce carbon emissions by 3.9 million tonnes annually, the equivalent of taking roughly 500,000 cars off the roads. The deal is expected to bring in roughly $1 billion a year to Quebec coffers.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Precambrian Video Games posted:

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

really wanna know where that guy lived. honestly surprised anyone is racist against the Japanese here, since Canadians generally have a. very positive view. also, pot, kettle.

i also need to know more about Japanese community: (avoid at all costs)

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

sounds like the anti-japanese boas may have been coming from INSIDE the house

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

a primate posted:

honestly surprised anyone is racist

:staredog:

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

a primate posted:

really wanna know where that guy lived. honestly surprised anyone is racist against the Japanese here, since Canadians generally have a. very positive view. also, pot, kettle.

ARACHTION posted:

A Korean buddy of mine left Japan because of the racism they faced being a mixed ethnicity couple. They moved to BOISE, IDAHO and prefer it there for those reasons. I don’t know if it’s less or more racist because people there would have no idea they were not the same ethnicity?

It's not like bigotry needs to be accurate or precise to make people feel unwelcome

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

a primate posted:

in my experience many people aren't fans of second+ generation [ethnicity they belong to] immigrants usually because they have weird fetishistic :freeland: views of the home country (eg italians, irish, etc). my guess is anime and online cranks this to like 15.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I'm going to be a hypocrite, but the average Canadian has no memory, and there's no talking to them or persuading them as if they do, or can connect cause with effect.

quoting this post so I don't forget about it (because it's true)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's *great* that the feds are flailing so badly right now that, at a time when some companies are exploring 4-day work weeks, they've decided that 6-day nonstop announcement binges starting on Sundays is the best way to convince the country that the government is on top of things doing the hard work for all Canadians.

Never mind loving over the weekends of everyone whose jobs revolve around what the feds do. Like me.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

a primate posted:

Ask your Asian friends about the racism they experience. They will tell you that everyone 1: thinks they are Chinese, and b: blames them for all the problems in Canada.

edit: Things are bad enough here by default that my white family members are really weird with my Korean family members, and it is so ingrained and natural that they think my Korean relatives are the problem.

Virtual Russian has issued a correction as of 16:47 on Apr 20, 2024

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Virtual Russian posted:

Ask your Asian friends about the racism they experience. They will tell you that everyone 1: thinks they are Chinese, and b: blames them for all the problems in Canada.

:yeah:

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017
Probation

a primate posted:

really wanna know where that guy lived. honestly surprised anyone is racist against the Japanese here, since Canadians generally have a. very positive view.

People probably thought he was native

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

a primate posted:

I would guess people assumed they were Chinese.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Karach posted:

quoting this post so I don't forget about it (because it's true)

lol compare a German university's Canadian Studies program to anything Canadians learn, even in university,

This is HMU in Munich:

Canada and Canadian Studies are an integral part of teaching and research. Special attention is paid to the historically transatlantic, but also continental interconnections of Canada and the relationship of Indigenous Peoples to the Canadian state, as well as the aftermath of this complex history on the politics, society, and culture of contemporary Canada.

The history of Canada must be understood by also looking at the history of France and Great Britain, at the history of the expansion of imperial powers into the so-called “New World,” and the conflicts that arose from it. To this day, the British monarch is the head of state of the country, which grants the francophone province of Québec special status as a "nation within a nation." Separatist tendencies and cultural conflicts continued to shape Anglo-Franco-Canadian coexistence in twentieth-century Canada. Research at the institute on this is incorporated into the course program for more advanced students.

At the same time, the history of Canada is a history of the oppression of Indigenous Peoples. The history of residential schools, but also of treaties, the question of land ownership and belonging, citizenship and Indigenous sovereignty are still central to Canadian politics, culture, literature, and society today. Especially in relation to Indigenous Peoples, Canada is often perceived as more advanced in terms of its commitment to reconciliation than the US. We discuss such notions in more advanced seminars, as well as the issue of environmental injustice, which links the country's conflicted history to the present. Doctoral students working on these issues in their dissertations are regularly involved in teaching and are thus able to report to students on their current research.

In addition, looking beyond Canada's southern border to the US allows students to understand the country's history not only from its European interconnections and the nation's and provinces' treatment of Indigenous Peoples, but also from its constant efforts to distinguish itself from the United States. From the American Revolution to the cultural policies of the 1920s/30s and the politics of multiculturalism that began in the 1970s to today's visual campaigns, the history, culture, and literature of the two nations are closely intertwined. From a Canadian perspective, the US has too often been the proverbial “elephant in the room.” In our seminars, we examine the bilateral relationship between the US and Canada, both politically and culturally, focusing on transfer processes. The history of Canada thus ultimately appears as multiply integrated, both in continental and transatlantic contexts, which have shaped and continue to shape the idea of the “nation of Canada,” but also contribute to illuminating it critically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
ethnic han, even