Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
I'm not going to riot but I will probably purchase a stolen Roku off of craigslist so that I can say I helped the economy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

They're going to be lined up to protect the new Apple store

There it is, the protestant work ethic :wotwot:

Montreal cops just enjoy beating people for the sake of it

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Montrealers of all stripes and walks really do seem to do everything for the love of da game. Corruption, Racism, Bigotry, Vehicular Aggression, Drinking, more Racism, Smoking, Cursing, and even some Music Festivals in there too. Gotta give it to em.

Also can somebody please save us from the UCP, this madness is getting uncomfortable.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

i know its a bit out of place for this but I remember going to pints and quarts on bank in ottawa for the last tragically hip concert, but this, theres some equivalence for Quebec that I feel compelled to share even if its just for me and whatever other lost soul who gets it,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoNTblEQtf4

merci Karl,
et les cowboys :clint: :quebec:

quote:

Quelle soit extra ou ordinaire
Chaque vie finit dla mme manire
Cest la seule justice sur la terre
Tous gaux dans le cimetire

digitalist has issued a correction as of 05:18 on Apr 27, 2024

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I was wondering why I saw so many sad French tweets. That's too bad

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

quote:

Tous gaux dans le cimetire

Have to think about this one re: residential schools.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Vancouver is not having any public playoff hockey viewing parties because Ken Sim wants to make sure that there are no riots this time around.

Anyway, Vancouver has the opportunity to do the funniest thing ever

Go Canucks!!!!

Lmao at being this scared of a repeat of the lamest riot ever. The only thing that got destroyed was that one London Drugs. Did get that one shot of a guy totally whiffing his jump over the burning cruiser right behind Kevin Newman though, that was cool.

Speaking of BC saw that they're apparently backtracking the decriminalisation thing? Sounds like another orange landlord party bending to the cops, who they love and support, lol

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

DaysBefore posted:

Go Canucks!!!!

Lmao at being this scared of a repeat of the lamest riot ever. The only thing that got destroyed was that one London Drugs. Did get that one shot of a guy totally whiffing his jump over the burning cruiser right behind Kevin Newman though, that was cool.

Speaking of BC saw that they're apparently backtracking the decriminalisation thing? Sounds like another orange landlord party bending to the cops, who they love and support, lol

There was this developmentally disabled man, always wearing a Canucks jersey who used to ride the same bus every morning for years up to SFU when my brother and I were students.

A day or so after the riot, they were showing the footage of everyone rushing out of London drugs with loot and paused it with this very guy centre frame looting two big bags of chips with a huge smile on his face. I was so happy for him.

Economic conditions the way they are right now I can understand why Landlord Cop Mayor Sim is afraid. I know many people who are in dire straits and would for sure descend on downtown if history repeats itself.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/_llebrun/status/1784247291823439889?t=Kmo_KSbsKCi_7kDl0cK7Hw&s=19

Lol, well done, Ottawa Tourism. You successfully promoted crackpot conspiracy theorists who are using false advertising and fake sponsorships.

I'm almost tempted to wander down to Lansdowne after lunch to laugh at the dipshits and maybe check out the flea market.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Vancouver is not having any public playoff hockey viewing parties because Ken Sim wants to make sure that there are no riots this time around.

Anyway, Vancouver has the opportunity to do the funniest thing ever

Third time's the charm!

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/_llebrun/status/1784247291823439889?t=Kmo_KSbsKCi_7kDl0cK7Hw&s=19

Lol, well done, Ottawa Tourism. You successfully promoted crackpot conspiracy theorists who are using false advertising and fake sponsorships.

I'm almost tempted to wander down to Lansdowne after lunch to laugh at the dipshits and maybe check out the flea market.

I fell down a rabbit hole recently because the latest in the odyssey of Atlantic Canadian CFL Grifts is the Atlantic Moose, which lo and behold shares the same mailing address (a downtown Ottawa UPS Store, down to the Suite#) and contact phone number as the organizers of this years Ottawa Book & Food Expo.

Everything is an op.

funny song about politics
Feb 11, 2002

Arc Hammer posted:

Wow! We wandered in there after finishing at the flea market and playground today. It felt extremely weird so we left right away, but we had no idea what it was.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

They want to build a 25 000 seat stadium in PEI for people to watch CFL games? Not loving Halifax?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
is the cfl popular enough out there to get, uh, one in six people in the province to turn out?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
they keep trying halifax and failing to con the city into it so why not try pei I guess

iirc they did a cfl exhibition game a couple years ago in moncton (bigger extant stadium) and it went fine

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Mike Savage is finally leaving office so, God willing, we might finally be at the end of the desperate begging for a CFL stadium

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Maybe we can try and bring back the basketball team for the fourth time though lmao

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Its been a while since I was out east, but I cant imagine just driving from Fredericton to PEI for a game, then back home, assuming I wasnt boozing. Isnt it like 3 hours each way?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Its been a while since I was out east, but I cant imagine just driving from Fredericton to PEI for a game, then back home, assuming I wasnt boozing. Isnt it like 3 hours each way?

dont forget the fifty dollar bridge toll too lol

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

infernal machines posted:

is the cfl popular enough out there to get, uh, one in six people in the province to turn out?

I haven't watched a game since I left home, but I'd drive from Summerside just to have something to do. I imagine half the island would, plus it helps that half the island is an hour from Charlottetown. The tourists would love that too.

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Ah, the drive from Fredericton to either PEI town, my artillery. It will take exactly 3 and 10 minutes to Borden assuming you gas up at the bigstop in Salisbury, and you only drive 10km/h over the limit (they will get you). It's pretty much 20 minutes to Summerside or Charlottetown from the Albany Y. I've done that as a day trip a couple times, it is the worst experience possible. Your entire day is nothing but an endless march of trees and car-killer potholes. You'll never believe how relieved you could be to get back to Fredericton. I just ended up moving to PEI in the end.

Plus the drat bridge, yeah. I think a more realistic question is "how many people are going to make a trip out of going to see a game?" That person from Freddy definitely won't drive to the island and back in a day for a game. They might come for the game and drive back the next day. That doesn't sound like a lot of people though.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

pei seems like it needs just one or two trains to make the cfl work really good

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

They had trains..... RIP

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
All of Canada:

DaysBefore posted:

They had trains..... RIP

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Ahem... I miss the trains down in Caaaanada...

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

DaysBefore posted:

Go Canucks!!!!

They're banning consumption of use in public spaces (parks, public transit and hospitals), which I'm ambivalent about. The reason why the decriminalization project in Portugal worked is because it was mandatory that you go into a rehabilitation program if you were a user, whereas Canada its completely voluntary and the programs they do have are ridiculously understaffed and underfunded (especially after Covid) that the users are going to realistically say "no" to going. I work in health and I've seen bullshit on both ends of it: On one hand, it's going to make users hide their activities and lead to more overdose deaths being less visible now, so its going to lead to more victims. However, it was also total bullshit to offload the problem onto the public and walk away from the problem without doing any follow up or strategy. Having users shoot up in a hospital waiting room in front of everyone one, or having a dude with a needle in his arm passed out in front of an elementary school, and having no recourse of action is bullshit.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

https://twitter.com/AHousefather/status/1784372668600287318

Anthony Housefather has now pivoted to wishing that charter rights be suspended. He truly needs to be pantsed.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the only encampment I'm aware of in Canada is at McGill

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

It's too late for words then. Time for Trudeau to make like his dad and get Quebec under control.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Drunk Canuck posted:

Anthony Housefather has now pivoted to wishing that charter rights be suspended. He truly needs to be pantsed.

God he's such a piece of poo poo. If it wasn't for Obergruppenfuhrer Freeland he'd probably be the worst Liberal by far

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Drunk Canuck posted:

no student has ever camped or yelled before, this is a threat to our national security and if trudeau does not call out the military he should be deposed by the king

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Lol at Trudeau Jr. getting his own Just Watch Me moment but with students asking for an end to supporting genocide

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Doing a pirouette behind the IDU headquarters

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011
Saw on the CBC last night that Canada is now a world leader in some kind of far right and/or racial violence per capita. There was a qualifier on it but I don't remember, possibly with multiple victims. Anyways congrats all! :canada:

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Nice, good work everybody

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Entorwellian posted:

They're banning consumption of use in public spaces (parks, public transit and hospitals), which I'm ambivalent about. The reason why the decriminalization project in Portugal worked is because it was mandatory that you go into a rehabilitation program if you were a user, whereas Canada its completely voluntary and the programs they do have are ridiculously understaffed and underfunded (especially after Covid) that the users are going to realistically say "no" to going. I work in health and I've seen bullshit on both ends of it: On one hand, it's going to make users hide their activities and lead to more overdose deaths being less visible now, so its going to lead to more victims. However, it was also total bullshit to offload the problem onto the public and walk away from the problem without doing any follow up or strategy. Having users shoot up in a hospital waiting room in front of everyone one, or having a dude with a needle in his arm passed out in front of an elementary school, and having no recourse of action is bullshit.

The core underlying problem here is that there really does seem to be a huge shortage of treatment options. I recall reading some tweet from an activist that pointed out that a big problem is that if you decide you really need to stop and get clean and reach out for help the health service will be like "yea sorry" and they'll add you to some week long list and so that window where you were ready willing and able to get into treatment passes.

And I don't expect anything to change if the NDP get dumped, because the next government will look at the cost of expanding treatment and balk. I assume the desire to avoid costs has been at the root cause of nothing really ever changing my entire life.

So the public keeps demanding that what we really need is treatment, and government keeps not doing that because it costs money. Some how (through propaganda I guess) the public has decided that Harm Reduction, instead of being a strategy to limit deaths while people await treatment, is instead the government's strategy instead of treatment. So progressive governments are going to get continuously more and more hosed here if this continues and they keep underfunding treatment and the public is seeing no change.

It seems inevitable that the NDP had to dump decriminalization because again the media drum beat had convinced the public that decriminalization was like the government's main core pillar to solve drug problems, which is insane because it was really always just a minor thing to limit the secondary effects of drug confiscation, reducing petty theft, and encouraging drug users to have positive interactations with police and to visit the health care system.

Decriminalization was becoming a huge distraction and an election is coming up. It was doomed.

But yea I still have questions about why decriminalization resulted in the police just deciding to stop doing any and all enforcement of any sort of drug use at all. Just because a person is allowed to possess a small amount opiates doesn't necessarily mean that they can casually smoke it in front of the skytrain station and yet apparently police were more than happy to allow this.

It seemed to me that the police used decriminalization as an excuse to quiet quit. Feels very weird how the media have been thoroughly uninterested in this, but I mean Vancouver Sun and Province both owned by the same right wing corporation so it's all agenda driven reporting at this point.

Femtosecond has issued a correction as of 20:12 on Apr 28, 2024

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
maybe invest in mental health so we aren't drinking and shooting up to self medicate

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Yeah, the quiet quitting is spot on. The cops do it every time something is done that pisses them off so they can then argue in the next election cycle for more budget and point to decrim as the reason, rather than their inability to deal with the new paradigm.

I have heard as well from people working as therapists/rehab/nurses in a DTES outreach program, basically the most street entrenched people. They all said that a heavy users motivation to get sober can last sometimes as short as hours and what would be successful would be having a system where the space exists at that kind of speed. They also mentioned that housing is the crucial step after treatment and that they have never seen a person escape addiction after getting clean if they didnt have housing immediately lined up after getting out of a centre.

People either get discharged and are in a neighborhood where they dont know anyone and face intense judgement from their new community, including getting the cops called on them. Or, they go back to the DTSE where they have community and can live without judgement and get quickly back into the drugs.

Like you said, you gotta have the money to back up the progressive policies or else they look terrible to the public who dont understand drug policy and any idea other than arresting the homeless for being homeless is poisoned for at least a decade.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

maybe invest in mental health so we aren't drinking and shooting up to self medicate

best I can do is make both of those expensive or illegal

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

So ontarios plan to improve education which the hogs are gonna lap up:

* Bring back cursive
* Phones bad
* Social media bad*
* Vape detectors **

We're getting nothing but Boomer catnip policies like this in the future right

* This is in the Tiktok is showing kids how full of poo poo we are sense definitely not the "let's yell racist poo poo at Black players" sense
** If I wasn't at work I'd look up who's getting the money for those vape detectors. They're about as real as the dowsing rods sold in Iraq

Isentropy has issued a correction as of 14:47 on Apr 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Cursive is good and phones in the classroom are bad, but the fact that spending didn't even enter into this is hilarious.