Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Oh there's a Canadian thread now is there??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i was wondering when this was gonna happen

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

klockwerk posted:

Brad Wall!

And the wheat baboons will pay for it

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Thread if I could I'd embed a loop of Bruce Cockburn insturmentals up in this hizzouse so we can just chill and make Canada pol jokes

Can post about Canadian Military procurement on request

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Reality Loser posted:

things happening right now:

weed legalization this summer
NAFTA
housing bubble, particularly in vancouver and toronto
the keg being bought

On these:

Weed legalization good but I suspect the gubbermint should have looked closer at the end of prohibition and how to use the market to weed (PUN BECAUSE WE LIKE THOSE IN CANADA) out criminal enterprises. I suspect black market weed is still economically viable with the taxes everybody wants to charge on the ganja. Also how loving sad is it that it took 15 years for this to happen after the National Post and the police unions were agitating for it

NAFTA - I suspect Trump will only be happy with a punitive deal or a pullout. This is actually a big deal as Canada's economic strategy has been since NAFTA was signed to be cheap labor for American industry. (I mean, **OBVIOUSLY** no other nation will be able to out-cheap us.) If NAFTA fails, then this strategy will be offically poo poo-canned as opposed to just "only working for richers". I can picture some upsides here as something like 85% of all NAFTA economic growth was captured by (surprise, surprise) very large businesses with revenues in excess of $500 million annually. Considering these people don't pay taxes anymore it's really difficult to care. Unfortunately, Ontario now makes more cars than Detroit, and there's a ton of richer interests locked up in NAFTA on the American side, and they should be able to bribe/flatter Trump somehow into relenting.

Housing Bubble - Because we're still locked into cheap money, the bubble continues, but fortunately the poors have been locked out of speculation via regulation. Both Trudeau and the Cons previously have been racking their brains on how to deflate the thing (and here's the important bit) without taking the blame for it. While restricting poors from buying mansions is good, it's clear the Richers still have free reign. I suspect that lots of Russian and Chinese dark money is ultimately being invested in Toronto and Vancouver, and that would be very politically easy to restrict or remove. (I mean, think about it: both of those nations are kleptocracies where corruption is used to get the acquiescence of the upper class, but it's still money that shouldn't be there - how hard would it be to say to both nations "we'd like to restrict the dark money in our county's real estate.) It hasn't happened because suprise! The money coming out of it still finds its way into the pockets of pols, so LET IT RIDE!!!! About the only really useful thing I can tell you is that crisis of this sort take longer than you'd like in coming, but once there work quicker than you would believe. I suspect a macroecon event (like leaving NAFTA, lol) will crank interest rates, leaving people overexposed, and then the carnival does a few more revolutions and then craters both cities, having driven out all their economically useful industry with real estate speculation. Of course richers play by different rules than the rest of us, so maybe the bubble continues serenely in those two places even as everywhere else collapses

I don't know what the Keg is

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm getting the two threads confused now with seriousposts here and shitposts there

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
i hate my fellow canadians

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
best cities in canada, ranked Accurately:

1. guelph, ON
2. mississauga, ON
3. peterborough, ON

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

murked by dragon posted:

1. guelph, ON
2. mississauga, ON
3. peterborough, ON

i don't see The Paris of the Prairies on that list, sir

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

angerbeet posted:

Oh there's a Canadian thread now is there??

our posting was finally deemed too bad by the mods and we were banished to the canada zone

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

klockwerk posted:

Brad Wall!

I disagree.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

murked by dragon posted:

1. guelph, ON
2. mississauga, ON
3. peterborough, ON

Mississauga has the highest auto insurance rates in Canada, denied

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm getting the two threads confused now with seriousposts here and shitposts there

c-spam posts tend to be actually good so i can understand your confusion that the politics shitpost forum is bringing the quality

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

murked by dragon posted:

1. guelph, ON
2. mississauga, ON
3. peterborough, ON

It's obviously Hamilton since it's the only place not in the boonies that you can actually afford to live

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Canadian Fact: the mayor of my city is named John Tory

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Conservative radio crackpot? Well at least he doesn't smoke crack

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

a primate posted:

Canadian Fact: the mayor of my city is named John Tory

Generic White Male Conservative

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Let's talk about the Best Mayor In The World, as voted on by various people, the first of his name, Naheed Nenshi.

At first I thought "no, he's actually quite a poo poo mayor" but then I saw literally every other mayor in Canada past and present, and it turns out he's actually extremely good.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Reality Loser posted:

I was tempted to add a 'free from homework explanation' line to my d&d post but I don't have a problem with your CI probies. It's more about the d&d thread being very very unchill, and I know we already have a few canadians who post in cspam.

i have no idea why there is a group of people who so vehemently defend bad posting in the other thread but am willing to read someone's explanation of it. the whole thread culture seems very weird and has been flying under the radar for a while due to Canada

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Nebakenezzer posted:

I don't know what the Keg is

your citizenship has been revoked, please leave the country within 48 hours

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

R. Guyovich posted:

i have no idea why there is a group of people who so vehemently defend bad posting in the other thread but am willing to read someone's explanation of it. the whole thread culture seems very weird and has been flying under the radar for a while due to Canada

We're a distinct society, I told you this already!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

R. Guyovich posted:

Canada doesn't have a culture. We are *ahem multicultural which means accepting other cultures even when they are weird and even when they're racist chinese people.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
Also accepting those who want to join the Middle Class

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

Also accepting those who want to join the Middle Class

But only if they Work Hard.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

R. Guyovich posted:

i have no idea why there is a group of people who so vehemently defend bad posting in the other thread but am willing to read someone's explanation of it.

Dunno if someone without CI's shitposting credentials would've eaten a probe for suggesting that a man who was a bit slow to deny his involvement with Sikh terrorists might coerce someone into terrorism:

quote:

Dosanjh finds Singh “evasive,” for instance, about whether he supports Sikh separatists who want to create a theocracy in Khalistan, in the Punjab region of India.

As a lawyer, Singh has a history of defending militants fighting for a separate Sikh homeland, said Dosanjh, who noted India has refused to give Singh a visa because of it.

When asked about Khalistan, Singh acknowledges he supports “the right to self-determination,

:raise:

Observations like that are just his shtick.

Dude does have love his gendered and racial slurs though, that poo poo ain't on. Shame too, cause when he's not being like that he's often pretty astute. That Pickton Hells Angels connection got tongues waggin.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
KLIK is the better Canadian SPAM I''m just sayin

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

That and Hereford corned beef could feed a nation

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

jagmeet singh has no "involvement" with the air india bombers. the issue was that he did not immediately condemn unnamed sikhs who allegedly venerate the bombers when prompted by a white interviewer. because why would he? he condemns terrorism and violence, it's not really his job to answer for the opinions of all sikhs anywhere in canada

the fact that he recognizes a distinct culture's right to self-determination has nothing to do with blowing up airliners

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Yes yes every thinking adult knows this, Jagmeet Singh is no more a Sikh terrorist than Tom Mulcair is. Romeo Dallaire also doesn't sleep nightly on park benches in piss soaked diapers but whenever he comes up, CI pops up to make sure that button gets pressed. Like a clump of kd cheese in the bowl, you don't want it there, it's arguably awful but it's also proof that it really did come from Canada

Anyway it doesn't matter cause he's getting banned a week after he comes back, tops, and then some other troll will take his place.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Postess with the Mostest posted:

But only if they Work Hard.

I love the implication of "...and those working hard to join the middle class!" is that there is a huge shitload of poor people just sitting around with their thumbs up their asses doing nothing, apparently

it's a transparently lovely attitude and the fact that so many canadians eat it up just goes to show how loving trash piss garbage our culture is

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

R. Guyovich posted:

does the d&d thread still have that one guy who's perpetually furious and posts non-stop, because that guy sucks

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Yinlock posted:

does the d&d thread still have that one guy who's perpetually furious and posts non-stop, because that guy sucks

I think that is everyone in that thread.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ocrumsprug posted:

I think that is everyone in that thread.

tbf it's also me in the trump thread

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
ci may not be a good poster but he's the poster canpol deserves because he is garbage and so are canadians

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

yeah I'm not defending CI's terrible posting at all, but most of this country is also racist and terrible so it's exactly what canpol is, in a nutshell

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

R. Guyovich posted:

the thread has a weird culture in particular because it's simultaneously a canpol debate thread and a canadian D&D posters chat thread because a lot of us have been posting in there for years and years and so it's full of dumb memes and in-jokes like how the keg is the pinnacle of canadian cuisine

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

vyelkin posted:

ci may not be a good poster but he's the poster canpol deserves because he is garbage and so are canadians

I can understand that, we here in c-spam have baloogan who is a drunken cabin dweller who sincerely desires nuclear war but is somehow something of a mascot

ci kinda makes the thread unreadable though

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Yinlock posted:

he kinda makes the thread unreadable though

the current state of affairs is pretty good imo we get like two days of pent-up rage at garbage canadians to remind us all how lovely our homeland is and then he disappears for a month and the thread returns to a classic state of canadian malaise in which we pretend our problems don't exist because we can't see them at the moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

vyelkin posted:

the thread has a weird culture in particular because it's simultaneously a canpol debate thread and a canadian D&D posters chat thread because a lot of us have been posting in there for years and years and so it's full of dumb memes and in-jokes like how the keg is the pinnacle of canadian cuisine

Yeah I don’t post much in D&D in general beyond canpol but it was my understanding the specific country politics threads were always gonna be a little weird and different because you get different posters/different focus/a lot of local culture. I thought that was understood.