Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
pizza pizza absolutely is worse than Domino's lmao. I have no fuckin idea how they've survived so far in Vancouver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Muscle Tracer posted:

is there literally any reason to have an inclusion rate at all, other than the ability to shriek "66% tax rate!!!" at your gullible, under-informed voters?

Seems like the answer is in the question

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Nairbo posted:

pizza pizza absolutely is worse than Domino's lmao. I have no fuckin idea how they've survived so far in Vancouver

omnipresence

also does dominos do by the slice? pizza pizza i feel like owns the chain pizza by the slice market

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Muscle Tracer posted:

is there literally any reason to have an inclusion rate at all, other than the ability to shriek "66% tax rate!!!" at your gullible, under-informed voters?

I assumed the main goal was lower taxes on rich people

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

mediaphage posted:

omnipresence

also does dominos do by the slice? pizza pizza i feel like owns the chain pizza by the slice market

Nope. (2-4-1 is better at slices but like the poster above said, pizza pizza is everywhere)

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

All of Canada's smartest economists (realtors) are on Twitter very concerned that everybody in the country is going to get taxed at 66.7% now and that doctors are going to leave en-masse because they are being punished for their success

The tax is 66.7% of capital gains over 250k instead of 50% of capital gains being taxable, with the sale of primary residences being exempt lol

lol that they're not even taxing 66% of capital gains over 250k. they're making 66% of capital gains *taxable* ie, it gets added to your total income instead of being something the government can't touch.

its an incredible system where someone actually working and creating value for 50k a year has to pay tax on all of it, whereas someone chilling in florida doing nothing and earning 50k passively only has to pay tax on 25k.

i guess it makes sense in a country where you have to pay your landlord's taxes if he's a tax dodger

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

mila kunis posted:

lol that they're not even taxing 66% of capital gains over 250k. they're making 66% of capital gains *taxable* ie, it gets added to your total income instead of being something the government can't touch.

its an incredible system where someone actually working and creating value for 50k a year has to pay tax on all of it, whereas someone chilling in florida doing nothing and earning 50k passively only has to pay tax on 25k.

i guess it makes sense in a country where you have to pay your landlord's taxes if he's a tax dodger

It's a great demonstration of that lumpen bourgeois thing people have been talking about

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

mediaphage posted:

omnipresence

We have relatively few Pizza Pizzas in Vancouver and many successful actually good pizza places that do by the slice. In the burbs I think Megabite and Freshslice and the franchisee revolt of Freshslice (Yummy Slice) have the largest market shares.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I miss living near an Uncle Fatih's

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
all those stories about how average canadian houses increased more in value than the average canadian make in salary should have been a warning sign

Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff
uncle fatihs owns

pizza pizza has cheap appetizers though

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

A sign warning people to get in on the rental property market before it's too late!!!

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
CBC News:

Oh, word?

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

drat horror queefs posted:

CBC News:

Oh, word?

I’m a homeowner and I just want all my friends to also be able to afford to be homeowners instead of moving to some godforsaken far-flung suburb or *gasp* Alberta. :smith:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
literally one of the subway ads alberta bought here in toronto was "you can buy a house here"

of course then some idiot does and realizes that their suburb of a suburb of one of the two cities in the province doesn't have a cactus club and it all ends in tears

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Albino Squirrel posted:

My favourite thing about Edmonton is that the Ukrainian Youth complex near my mother-in-law's house has its own Wikipedia page based on a statue of a Nazi.

Although TBF most of the people of Ukrainian descent I speak to are less "pro-Nazi" and more "anti-getting-invaded" which is a rather more agreeable opinion. My wife's family, like many Ukrainian-Albertans, have been in the Prairies since the first bit of the 20th century and so missed both the rise of communism and the reactionary bullshit that followed.

This is pretty much how these far-right nationalist orgs work. They worm their way into larger umbrella groups then start pitching a very pro-nationalist narrative that any nationalist organization will naturally agree with, and next you thing you know this stuff gets laundered into (understandable from their perspective) anti-Soviet/anti-Russian sentiment.

mila kunis posted:

Canada's cap gains has been one of the lowest in the G7 or G20 or whatever and it's supposed to "encourage investment". I would vote for a raccoon that makes 100% of cap gains taxable at 20% and spent the rest of their time in power eating garbage.

also no estate tax!

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 23:19 on Apr 17, 2024

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

congrats to the competitor

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Dreylad posted:

This is pretty much how these far-right nationalist orgs work. They worm their way into larger umbrella groups then start pitching a very pro-nationalist narrative that any nationalist organization will naturally agree with, and next you thing you know this stuff gets laundered into (understandable from their perspective) anti-Soviet/anti-Russian sentiment.

Canada's cap gains has been one of the lowest in the G7 or G20 or whatever and it's supposed to "encourage investment". I would vote for a raccoon that makes 100% of cap gains taxable at 20% and spent the rest of their time in power eating garbage.

also no estate tax!

if prime minister raccoon was on option I would actually vote for them and bring him a burger to eat.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

ARACHTION posted:

if prime minister raccoon was on option I would actually vote for them and bring him a burger to eat.

i really misread this at first as you wanted the prime minister to be a raccoon so you could eat them as a burger

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

Which party would field a raccoon or is this raccoon starting their own party? I'd definitely vote for a raccoon led raccoon party, but not sure it would be enough to push me to vote for them if they were representing the liberal/conservative party, even if it would be a massive improvement for either.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Dreylad posted:

I would vote for a raccoon that makes 100% of cap gains taxable at 20% and spent the rest of their time in power eating garbage.

... taxable at 20%? Why? That'd be a cut for the ultrarich even now.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

drat horror queefs posted:

CBC News:

Oh, word?

this seems fine and sustainable, we just need to build some more supply and it will all get sorted out

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
if we're doing the Raccoons who gets to be Cyril Sneer?

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Precambrian Video Games posted:

... taxable at 20%? Why? That'd be a cut for the ultrarich even now.

typo, lol yeah that wouldn't help

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

:yeah:

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

what the hell does “drain” mean in frogland?

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

RealityWarCriminal posted:

congrats to the competitor

We're a sick country

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

We're a sick country

canada should be offered maid

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
mercy flush canada

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

We're a sick country

thankfully we now have a cost effective solution for that

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Well I was going to innovate a new solution to MAID but now there's no incentive thanks to being taxed so much

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

Fried Watermelon posted:

Well I was going to innovate a new solution to MAID but now there's no incentive thanks to being taxed so much

Frustrating that all of our investments that bring in more than 250k in capital gains per a year are getting taxed so much. Justin Trudeau clearly doesn't understand that ordinary Canadians need a bit of walkin' around money! :mad:

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Oh no, brain drain is going to hurt our robust economy of trading absurdly highly priced condos back and forth! Nevermind the fact that if my rent was half of what it is now, like it was 5 years ago, I'd be fine to open my own business, instead of working for my absentee boss.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Imagining a world where tax increases drive all the bougie libs and landlords and NGO types out of Canada. Ahh... paradise

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Bill Morneau has started whining about how increasing capital gains tax will make rich people invest their money outside Canada, which made me remember what a poo poo Bill Morneau is lmao

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
landlords please leave canada i'm begging u

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

List of lovely CEOs for you to not invest in.
https://twitter.com/cadinnovators/status/1780716202450379181?s=46&t=ruJSzwqECRxfc3oePbtIng

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

quote:

Andrew Booth, CFO, AbCellera, Vancouver

Carl Hansen, CEO & President, AbCellera, Vancouver

AbCellera draws $300M in government funding