Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

change thread title to 'justin trudeau is a sexy motherfucker' ty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

we have twice as many parties so there's double the amount of partisanship

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

a primate posted:

Canadian Fact: the mayor of my city is named John Tory

Generic White Male Conservative

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

jagmeet singh has no "involvement" with the air india bombers. the issue was that he did not immediately condemn unnamed sikhs who allegedly venerate the bombers when prompted by a white interviewer. because why would he? he condemns terrorism and violence, it's not really his job to answer for the opinions of all sikhs anywhere in canada

the fact that he recognizes a distinct culture's right to self-determination has nothing to do with blowing up airliners

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/956158783386013696

gently caress you justin

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

death to ontario

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

It's not as simple as just marrying a Canadian. You still have to follow the same process as other prospective immigrants (or just be rich and become an Immigrant Investor lol)

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Reince Penis posted:

So it's perfectly fine for Kathryn Wynne to cheat on her husband with Jane Rounthwaite? Oh but it was between two femnazis so it's perfectly justifiable.

Cucking your man is morally equivalent to sexually harassing young subordinates in the workplace, apparently. Conservatives are scum.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Ill Peripheral posted:

Reading this article about how ICBC just lost a billion dollars in 9 months, how does insurance work in that province? Like, I know there is pretty well no way I'm making a claim on anything less than severe damage to my vehicle, since I'm likely going to pay say a replacement bumper multiple times over in a rate increase over the amount of years it takes for my insurance to drop back down.

Does it work like this over there? Or is ICBC just very soft? Avg. Ontario insurance isn't that much more than BC's, so I don't get how they can be eating this much poo poo.
https://www.straight.com/news/1025306/martyn-brown-short-thought-bcs-icbc-fiasco-guaranteed-drive-you-nuts

quote:

Because as Rob Shaw reported, some seven pages of controversial recommendations from a December 2014 draft Ernst & Young report, which were aimed at addressing ICBC’s rapidly escalating fiscal crunch, were arbitrarily “scrubbed” from the final report that went public.

Those urgently needed actions to cut ICBC’s rising claims costs were hidden from B.C.taxpayers, arbitrarily rejected, and unilaterally deleted from the March 2015 final report by former finance minister and current Liberal leadership hopeful, Mike de Jong.

He admits as much, incredibly, making no apologies. He almost seems proud of his perfidy, doing his own best impression of a human airbag.

If then transportation minister and current co-leadership contender Todd Stone is to be believed, that draft report was doctored by de Jong without his knowledge.

He claims he never even saw that unvarnished analysis, despite the fact that he was the minister who commissioned it. He suggests that he was essentially hoodwinked by de Jong and willfully kept in the dark like the happy mushroom he was.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

does Doug's mouth never close fully or what

every picture I see he's got this Alfred E. Neuman thing going on where you can just see the top row of teeth peeking out

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

lmao just go to the polling station you lazy fucks

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

i bet online voting has zero or negative impact on turnout after the novelty wears off since the entire idea is predicated on people who "don't like politics" and/or being too piss lazy to go a half kilometer to their poll

then it'll turn out some FLDS patriarch got all his teen brides to vote Conservative online who wouldn't otherwise be allowed to leave the compound

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

australia has mandatory voting, look how hosed they are

holiday is a good idea though

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

don't forget the recent spate of news stories about their literally fraud-based sales tactics siphoning massive monthly fees from people unwittingly signed up for services they never asked for and don't need, and driving members of their workforce into overwhelming depression and shame at what they've done

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

yeah it's very widespread, and not limited to telcos or cablecos

a friend of mine worked for Bell in business accounts and in order to meet the ridiculously unattainable sales quotas he and people in his department would sign people up for USB LTE sticks, activate them and just stick them in a drawer. if a customer noticed the extra charges and asked about it (maybe 10% of them would ever notice) they'd call it an error and take it off. when their bosses found out, they just swept it under the rug because otherwise they'd be on the hook for missed sales quotas as well.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Oh, I see, it's the workers' fault that the company rewards unethical practices when it's not ignoring them

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Jordan7hm posted:

When the worker is literally stealing from people, they bear some responsibility, yes.

Pushing protection plans aggressively is one thing, knowingly adding fake charges to bills is a very different thing.

Nothing in your story speaks to the evil company being ok with this behaviour. This is people doing lovely things because apparently nobody had the guts to say anything about it.

you apparently did not read the recent spate of news stories describing these practices as being both widespread and encouraged by managers

and when I say “encouraged” I of course mean “you trick and bully people and foist unasked-for products and services onto customers or you lose your job”

Juul-Whip has issued a correction as of 01:19 on Feb 1, 2018

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

well my story happened several years ago, and the point I was rather poorly trying to make is that apparently, these practices have since spread all over the place, rather than being isolated, if the accounts hitting the news are to be believed. former employees describe being coached to literally trick people into buying products they don’t need, only now it’s seniors and ESL people getting signed up for $200 a month premium bundles when all they wanted was a phone or whatever. and if they protest or fail to make the sales, they are disciplined or bullied. sorry my earlier post wasn’t very clear.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bell-whistleblower-reveals-high-pressure-sales-1.4404088

quote:

A longtime Bell Canada employee describes working in the company's Scarborough, Ont., call centre as "a non-stop nightmare," where she says she is forced to sell customers products they don't need, don't want, and may not understand, to hit sales targets and keep her job.

Andrea Rizzo, 50, has worked for Bell — Canada's largest telecom service provider — for 20 years, and says the pressure to upsell customers who call in has become relentless.

She says employees are expected to make a sale on every call.

Rizzo is currently on stress leave, and worries about the repercussions of making her concerns public, but says the status quo has to change.

"I feel bad," says Rizzo. "I'm not really listening to what the customer called about. All I'm thinking in my head is, 'Oh wow, this customer just said they didn't want the service, it's too expensive. And I've sold a service to them that they will not know how to use, or really need.'"

Every customer a target

Rizzo says many of the customers who call in are on a limited income, and clearly can't use the products she is pressured to sell.

"We have a lot of seniors who call," says Rizzo. "They tell me they're blind, and I still have to sell them internet."
[...]
Rizzo has struggled to meet her sales targets. In August, Bell told her she was "unable to meet performance expectations," and put her on a plan Rizzo believes is designed to eventually enable the company to terminate her employment.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/crtc-public-inquiry-telecom-high-pressure-sales-1.4498973

quote:

Since Go Public first reported on sales pressures inside Bell Canada, we've heard from more than 200 past and present employees — mostly working for Bell and Rogers Communications — describing intense pressure to mislead, lie and trick consumers in order to hit unrealistic sales targets.

A current sales rep inside Rogers' Ottawa call centre writes, "A manager...literally told me he didn't care what I told a customer as long as he doesn't hear about it and gets paid."

CBC has confirmed his employment, but is not revealing his identity because he worries he will be fired. Recent company emails obtained by Go Public instruct Rogers employees not to speak to the media about our investigation.

A "technical support" employee working for Bell at a third party call centre in Orillia, Ont., that's owned by Nordia wrote to say he's frustrated that he's expected to push a service called "Bell Tech Xpert" even to customers who need help fixing something as simple as connecting to their home Wi-Fi.

"A lot of individuals misrepresent the cost of the service, as it requires a yearly commitment and has a $35 early termination fee if cancelled before that time," he writes. "We're just expected to shove BTE [Bell Tech Xpert] down their throats in order to meet sales goals."

[...]

Michael Menegaldo worked for a Rogers' third party call centre, S&P Data in Hamilton, until 18 months ago. He writes that his managers would sometimes ignore a report showing that a customer is in debt and approve the sale of a cellphone.

"There'd be times where [a customer's] bills could be in the thousands, but our manager would want the sale — so they'll do what is best for them."

Employees at retail stores also pressured

Employees from both Bell and Rogers retail stores have also contacted Go Public, describing managers' unscrupulous tactics they say are used to get them to push products that customers don't need and often can't afford.

They write about being encouraged to hide fees attached to products, tack on services that aren't requested, and to prey on people who seem vulnerable — including low-income and older people — to hit sales targets.

The store employees' sales numbers are often posted in the back room, some write, to shame those who aren't selling enough per shift.

So yeah. Let's talk about horrible Canadian telcos' impact on mental health.

Juul-Whip has issued a correction as of 01:51 on Feb 1, 2018

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

the Canadian military is spending $170,000 on "marijuana simulation kits" to help their personnel understand what it's like to be high

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/bsundhu/status/964597133226708995

oh jeremy :kimchi:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

while you were looking at that, the opposition leader used QP today to talk about what really matters: his party's loyal business donors

https://twitter.com/j_mcelroy/status/966743892526813184

Juul-Whip has issued a correction as of 01:07 on Feb 23, 2018

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

infernal machines posted:

Yeah, he's blaming the community for there being no evidence of a serial killer responsible for the disappearances. Except of course several of the victims were Facebook friends with McArthur. So either TPS are some of the least competent investigators on the planet, and have never heard of social graphs, or they weren't looking.

Based on Xtra, Vice, and Torontoist articles about the missing men over the last year and a bit, it's pretty obvious they weren't looking. There are multiple quotes from police sources that can be summed up as "Sometime gay men just wander off, it happens, nothing out of the ordinary".
they were busy stinging guys looking for hookups and lobbying the city to defund Pride.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Carole James best finance minister :colbert:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

it would be funny because they would just be maligned and subjugated like every other low population, low GDP state

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

*borat voice*
https://twitter.com/jjhorgan/status/969015475949600769?s=21

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/RonJackspn/status/969305803873308679

POLITICAL CORRECTNESS :bahgawd:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

i guess outdoor enthusiasts know what they want and they can just order it online while people wandering in off the street are more likely to buy the flashy yoga pants and bike gear

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjU7dZ1ahn4
:rip:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I'm 50/50 on it being mostly kayfabe

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Le Saboteur posted:

Seems like Jagmeet Singh may have stepped in it again.
https://twitter.com/i/moments/973929369122033666

this is "Corbyn the Terrorist Sympathizer" redone for Canada only it'll work because the alleged terrorist is not white

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

gently caress YOU

https://mobile.twitter.com/MikeSmythNews/status/973659213938401280

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Helsing posted:

So apparently Trudeau got the Trans Pacific Partnership renamed the Comprehensive and Progressive Trade-Pacific Partnership Agreement

but is it inclusive?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

id be down for Five Full Years of Paid Parental Leave

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/Gray_Mackenzie/status/1000868796364566528

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Baloogan posted:

hey i volenteered and canvased for the NDP and they won in BC so suck it lol

barely won by a oval office hair after like a 2 month resolution process

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

oh no yeah definitely. I thank you for your service, I only meant we must not be off our guard

Juul-Whip has issued a correction as of 09:27 on Jun 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008