Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Taintrunner posted:

RIP Bernie's dad, Jack Layton

layton was a centrist sack of poo poo, bernie is still commie-god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

how bad of a scandal would trudeau have to get caught up in for him to lose the next election? I feel like he could get away with most of the poo poo trump does

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

trudeau: france is a shithole country
40% of canadians: wow so inspiring, i love him

Liberals win 390 seat majority

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

disappointed this isn't in the OP

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

I don't know what the Keg is

your citizenship has been revoked, please leave the country within 48 hours

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

I live in a town in Canada where the Keg is literally the only fine dining restaurant, help

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

PT6A posted:

You don't even have a BP? Good heavens!

BP is poo poo too, of course, but at least it has the good grace not to be unreasonably pretentious like the Keg.

We have 2 BPs actually, I would not consider BP to be "fine dining" though

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

I would put on a button up shirt to goto the keg at the very least, I goto BP in a hoodie and loudly talk about how much I hate poo poo while drinking a beer from a mug larger than my head

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

if you want actual canpol talk, wibur ross is real mad that Trudeau signed TPP

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

My favourite part about the TPP is it kills most chances we have of cobbling together socialized pharmacare plans

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

We must honor Canpol thread posting traditions, any traditions from previous thread will not be and cannot be cancelled

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

government revenues:
income tax $150 billion
corporate tax $41 billion
gst 33 billion
excise and duty 66 billion
crown corps 60 billion
offshore tax losses and evasion MINUS FIFTY BILLION DOLLARS

help i can't find the money to stop running 30 billion dollar deficits and fund mental health

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

how much from brown people murder tanks LAVs

the government gets like maybe 10 million a year in tax revenue from that deal? it's pretty gently caress-all

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

the company that produces brown-killing lavs is actually american, all we really get out of it is like 2100 manufacturing jobs at their plant in london, ON

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

does anyone actually know if the maritimes exist, like have anyone every actually been there?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

HAND OVER THE BLOCKCHAIN NERD

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

Do you have a source for this

Because I believe it and it is interesting

The actual revenue numbers are from the 2017 budget doc, I squished some of the numbers together under single headers for simplicity sake but you get the idea

The offshore tax thing?

and also https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2017/02/13/canada-misses-out-on-nearly-50-billion-in-tax-each-year.html

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

is... is canada bad? :ohdear:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

I remember in grade 7 social studies when we were learning about the un the security council and how they rotate member nations each year except for the five permanent members and the entirety of the class except myself were completely dismayed and throw for a spin when they found out canada wasnt important enough to be on the permanent security council and i was just thinking how dumb could anyone be to think that a giant frozen wasteland of racists could be important. That is my canada moment.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

where does canada keep it's armies?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

In it's sleevies idiot

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

im the russian docking station

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

canadaarm 360

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Reality Loser posted:

My extended health benefits doesnt even cover eye care. Zero. What a joke.

what up no eyecare buddy

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Eox posted:

how are my fellow members of the middle class and those working hard to join it doing today

I bought 3 avocados

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

neoliberalism.tweet

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

I'm in winnipeg today and I never realized it while I was living here, but there's a money mart and a dollar tree right beside each other downtown beside the hockey arena with a dollarama right across the street lmao

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

The new Saskatchewan premier looks like a fatter Andrew Scheer

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Electronic voting is a bad idea right? Like I feel like everyone around me thinks it's the greatest poo poo ever, but any situation I can dream up doesn't allow for someone to vote in secret without some ridiculous skype session with a volunteer or some other stupid poo poo.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

One vision! One purpose!

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

Having been scrutineer in a federal byelection last year I can say paper ballots are easy to manage and hard to mess with for fraudulent purposes. My candidate lost but we're confident nobody hacked or interfered with the ballots.

Compare with the uncertainty of electronic systems and reports of shenanigans...

As I've been told by a super-duper computer expert friend, security would not be an issue if we used quantum encryption and it's apparently incredibly easy to stuff a ballot box

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Make elections a national holiday so I can vote first thing in the morning and spend the rest of the day shitposting

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Jordan7hm posted:

That’s totally different because it’s impossible to interfere with a paper ballot sent by post.

They've made it pretty difficult to do so tbh

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

I thought the Cons banned ex-pats from voting or something, I remember a canadian celebrity was very upset

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

tbf "Everyone who could be defined as canadian can vote" is a better position than "Everyone who would vote for us can vote"

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

my favourite is when the conservative party frames CPP and EI as a tax and its just big guberment taking your hard earned money to spend on trudeau's socks

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

channels inner-ci: remember when we burned down the white house, vive la canada, #bellletstalk

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

pfizerman posted:

the argument is literally "we are decriminalizing weed because it's not like other drugs" - which is an argument that has been accepted by the likes of our parents

moment he starts to waver on that message it's open season on accusations of ideological decriminalization

I don't know why this is puzzling to you guys, Liberal Policy is a flowchart. Overarching federal policies are basically determined by "Does it help our rich friends get richer?" or "Does more than 50% of the country solidly support this?". The Liberals will never take a chance on anything that doesn't either get them more money or no votes and because of that any progress under majority Liberal governments is stalled.

Fallen Hamprince posted:

ah yes, the massive wave of healthcare privatization that didnt happen under canada's most conservative government in decades but will definitely happen, in this one,

Healthcare is under attack at this moment. Harper was incredibly Conservative and would have done poo poo like banning gay marriage and abortions again if he had the capital, but even he understood that those positions would toxic politically and never spoke about them publicly in his time and kept the social conservative wing of his party quiet for the most part. He did cut funding to parts of government that were against his views as a way of slowly strangling out those positions. Healthcare is one of those positions and with all the tinkering Harper did, which the Liberals refuse to change, provinces are basically hosed sideways when it comes to funding healthcare. Over the next 20 years we are going to slowly develop a 2-tier system for MRIs, X-Rays, Homecare, basically anything outside of ER care because there's simply not enough money being pumped in via Federal transfers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

The Winnipeg Jets are Canada's best hockey team right now, gently caress y'all

we are the worlds arm dealers hurrah canada

https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/960951967207120896