Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

I suppose it's appropriate I'm asking in a Canada thread, but... can I get this as a gang tag?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

Bilirubin posted:

A mod can get it hosted for you but you will have to buy it. Unless a cspam mod is doing a giveaway on it

I would be happy to buy it, posted here because if memory serves this is where the Canada Post one took off. I know there are a few other Quebec goons that might be interested (and by a few I know of a grand total if 2), but in any case I’d be willing to buy a few for people who are interested.

edit:

infernal machines posted:

if you're willing to spend :10bux: the trick is to buy it as an avatar, then copy the url, set your normal avatar, and add the url in an
code:
[img] 
tag in the custom title

I think you can confirm this strategy works on the preview page? I was also afraid of losing my friday crew tag, but I guess I can do the above for both tags.

e2: nice, it would work, thanks infernal!

But if a mod can get it hosted, that would save me 5$ and I could put that towards anyone else would like to get one via gift certificates.

e3: Went ahead and spent the :10bux: Here's the SA link in case anyone wants to ever use it, if you DM me or flag me down on the side of the 20 I'll even send you a 5$ gift certificate for it.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/titles/1b/03/00015188.0001.png

digitalist has issued a correction as of 17:36 on Apr 7, 2024

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

Bilirubin posted:

Admins finally uploaded the image to the server so you can buy a title change and install it below your av gl goon

Thanks! Will repeat my offer for 5$ gift certificates for anyone who wants to join the gang, which might be more a reflection of how few people I think will take me up on it than generosity. :quebec:

And to contribute something, I went ahead and translated the whole thing, normally would have just pulled out an interesting passage but since the original article is in French, figured I'd just do the whole thing and share it.

https://www.ledevoir.com/politique/canada/810673/liberaux-conservateurs-sauvent-serment-roi-ottawa

quote:

Liberals and Conservatives save the King's Oath in Ottawa
Marco Bélair-Cirino
6-7 minutes

Liberal and Conservative elected officials - starting with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Official Opposition Leader Pierre Poilievre- are joining forces to maintain the oath of allegiance to King Charles III as a sine qua non condition for sitting in the House of Commons or Senate.

On Wednesday afternoon, 196 of them and one independent opposed the detailed examination by a parliamentary committee of Bill C-347, introduced by René Arseneault, Liberal MP for Madawaska-Restigouche.

God Save the King " and applause resounded through the House of Commons after the result of the vote was announced: For 113, Against 197.
The 38 Liberals, 31 Bloc Québécois, 24 New Democrats, 17 Conservatives, two Greens and one Independent, who supported the idea of making the oath to the King optional, came up short.

With his proposed "An Act to amend the Constitution Act, 1867 (oath of office)", René Arseneault once again sought to allow appointees to the Canadian Parliament to take an "oath of office" - whereby they would swear that they would perform their duties "in the best interests of Canada and in accordance with its Constitution" - "instead of", or in addition to, the "oath of allegiance" to His Majesty King Charles III.

"I want to reassure my colleagues that Bill C-347 is not intended to divide monarchists and republicans; it is in no way intended to abolish the monarchy in Canada. Even before introducing this bill for first reading last June, I made sure that making this modest but important change would not cause a constitutional storm in the country," said the Acadian politician when he introduced his bill on January 31.

Government House Leader Steven MacKinnon allowed Liberal MPs to vote as they saw fit, with the exception of Cabinet members, who were expected to vote as a block against the initiative of fellow New Brunswicker René Arseneault, who deplores the fact that he is still required to swear allegiance to the British sovereign more than 260 years after the Deportation of the Acadians under the orders of British colonial authorities (1755 and 1763).

While Mr. Arseneault did not win the support of the Trudeau government, he did win the support of all Bloc, NDP and Green parties, as well as most Quebec Liberal and Conservative MPs.

Allegiance "to the principle of democracy
The Constitution Act, 1867, requires all Members of Parliament and Senators to swear an oath or make a solemn affirmation of allegiance or loyalty to the Sovereign before they can sit and vote.

"When a deputy pledges allegiance to the sovereign, he or she also pledges allegiance to the institutions represented by the sovereign, and in particular to the principle of democracy. In so doing, the deputy pledges to serve the best interests of the country. The oath he takes, or the solemn affirmation he makes, serves to remind him of the full weight of the obligations and responsibilities he assumes," reads House of Commons Procedure and Practice.

On Wednesday morning, Immigration Minister Marc Miller recalled that "French, Acadian, Scottish and Irish blood runs in [his] veins". He had therefore taken note of Bill C-347, which would allow people to sit without necessarily swearing allegiance to the King of the United Kingdom, with "feelings that come from [his] past", he had said, before specifying that he would nevertheless vote against Bill C-347.

Even though his name is "extremely Irish" and his grandfather fought in the Irish War of Independence, Labour Minister Seamus O'Regan refused to share his thoughts on making the oath to King Charles III optional: "I have a lot of thoughts, but I don't feel like sharing them," he told reporters before the vote. He also opposed further consideration of Bill C-347.

"The priority for me is just to build housing," said Sean Fraser, Minister of Housing, Infrastructure and Communities.

Rendering optional a pledge of allegiance to a Monarch would jeopardize democracy? Ok, sure, why not.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

:catte:

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

Bleck posted:

I just think it's weird that cops are able to bust huge amounts of fentanyl on people in a place where nobody seems to know how it's getting in. It's almost like the cops know something we don't, about where the fentanyl is coming from,

:thunk:

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

I was reading a discussion on the topic and apparently there is a little known rule that tenants are supposed to withhold 25% of rent to pay the CRA if the owner is a foreign national, which is problematic to say the least. I can’t imagine the trouble you could get into as a tenant if you actually tried that, not to mention how are you even supposed to know.

Anyway, this is second hand and I haven’t verified it so I am probably misunderstanding it somehow. Regardless of how you slice it though, it’s pretty hosed up.

edit: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-ag...convention.html

digitalist has issued a correction as of 00:43 on Apr 14, 2024

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

Suplex Liberace posted:

the double whammy cra and maid blast to my face over my morning coffee is just too much! I have to write my mla and effect change!

I think we all need to come together on this, I've got some extra crayons and paper if anyone needs it

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

Which party would field a raccoon or is this raccoon starting their own party? I'd definitely vote for a raccoon led raccoon party, but not sure it would be enough to push me to vote for them if they were representing the liberal/conservative party, even if it would be a massive improvement for either.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

So where is the line for using slurs in this thread?

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

vyelkin posted:

tabarnak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIFvgSCzg4E

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

this thread is out of control

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

I'm very not cool and have caught myself caring about posting at times but usually catch myself and go outside and touch snow or grass.

In other news I learned today that you can't write in candidates which I feel I should have known, so much for writing "a raccoon" on my next federal ballot.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

DaysBefore posted:

Write it anyway. It'll matter just as much

I'll have a chance to help the Bloc become the official opposition though

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

Incredibly unlikely, but we're still a ways out and who knows what could happen, and I'd be old enough to appreciate something like that happening this time around

edit: english is hard

digitalist has issued a correction as of 03:02 on Apr 19, 2024

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

I hear it's a lot more fun in a hot tub in front of parliament

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

I thought this was nice, a step in the right direction at least

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/mohawk-council-inks-deal-with-hydro-quebec-on-electricity-transmission-line-to-new-york

quote:

In a historic agreement that could serve as a template for future land deals, Hydro-Québec and the Mohawk Council of Kahnawake signed an accord Thursday that will make the Indigenous community a co-owner of a $1.1-billion transmission line exporting electricity to New York City.

It will be the first time Hydro-Québec shares ownership of its transmission infrastructure with a third party and a First Nation community. With the Crown corporation projecting it will run out of energy surpluses by 2027 and will need to build dams and wind farms on Indigenous lands to meet growing demand, the partnership is a sign of things to come, said Hydro-Québec CEO Michael Sabia.
Article content
Article content

“When I look into the future, one thing is crystal clear: the immense challenge of the energy transition will require creativity and open minds,” he said at the official signing of the project agreements in Kahnawake. “I hope this agreement will serve as an example of how we can work differently with other Indigenous partners across Quebec.”

Noting that historically, dealings with Hydro-Québec “have not been rosy,” Kahnawake Grand Chief Kahsennenhawe Sky-Deer said the community showed resilience in overcoming a painful past to provide for the future.

“This is a special moment in our history. In Kahnawake it resonates and echoes also because we know that self-determination, finding new ways forward, new ways to provide an economy for our people, is paramount,” she said. “For generations to come, this is something that we can be proud of.”

The partnership involves a 25-year deal first broached in 2021 for Hydro-Québec to provide an electricity transmission line to New York City, carrying enough energy — 1,250 MW — to power one million homes and reduce carbon emissions by 3.9 million tonnes annually, the equivalent of taking roughly 500,000 cars off the roads. The deal is expected to bring in roughly $1 billion a year to Quebec coffers.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

[canada] a big mozzarella ball of complaints and racism

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

TheKingofSprings posted:

loving goombas

speciesism doesn't have a place here :colbert:

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

Look at all these champions,

https://twitter.com/gerarddeltell/status/1782231211907117317

digitalist has issued a correction as of 22:49 on Apr 23, 2024

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

The translation by itself is just dumb, directly translating "For Canada" to "Pour Canada", it should be Pour le Canada, if they had even bothered to use deepl they would have gotten it right.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

I guess Pierre here is just representing a proud Canadian tradition, how did I miss this?

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/596330/vingt-dollars-polymere-feuille
https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSBRE90H16V/ - An actual English link
Turns out the maple leaf on the 20$ bill is Norwegian, and was imported here in the 18th century.

quote:

The new polymer $20 bills continue to stir controversy. After merchants complained that the notes were not accepted by vending machines, botanists assert that the maple leaf that appears on the greenbacks is not a Canadian species, but rather a Norwegian one.

The Norwegian maple arrived in Canada in the 18th century. It is said to have been imported by a Philadelphia merchant and used as a decorative tree in gardens. Recently, however, the Norwegian maple leaf has appeared in the official logos of various organizations, such as those of Wilfrid Laurier University in Waterloo, Ontario, and the International Football Federation's Under-20 World Cup. association (FIFA).

According to botanists, the Canadian Fund of Telefilm Canada and the Alliance of Natural History Museums of Canada also made the same mistake. Atlantic Canada Conservation Data Center botanist Sean Blaney says he never expected to find a Norwegian maple leaf on the $20 bill . He explains that this maple species is, in fact, considered an invasive species that harms other plants in the east of the country.

The botanist believes that it is not appropriate to find these leaves on a Canadian emblem such as the country's motto.

Did they ever fix this? If I still carried cash I'd check.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

DaysBefore posted:

An aggresive pest that harms the native ecology? Sounds pretty appropriate to me

:hmmyes:

Guigui posted:

"Le gros bon sens" makes me think of this...

Jacques Gourde's delivery @ ~15 seconds goes hard

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/tele/infoman/site/segments/chronique/457914/parlement-canadien-ottawa-deputes

This vid was also interesting for a bit of background on how similar slogans were used in the past including senior Trudeau's, there are subs but not in English.

They also had a compilation Pierre saying the slogan over and over until it lost all meaning but can't find a clip of that.

edit: might as well make this a gros bon sens megapost, this vid on the same topic was interesting, you can auto generate English subs if you're brave. Been a week or two since I watched it but if my memory isn't completely failing me, it discusses populism and the appeal to "common sense".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF3wYJBc4eg

digitalist has issued a correction as of 04:39 on Apr 24, 2024

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

RealityWarCriminal posted:

Les Gros Bon Seins

:eyepop:

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

Les Gros Bon Seins

I should add a conservative logo somewhere on that

digitalist has issued a correction as of 18:28 on Apr 24, 2024

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

ARACHTION posted:

I missed this lil guy from when I used to watch Infoman again. This gif made me lol so good job.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

Hard to beat that Rick Mercer segment but in an effort to provide a french option to classic segments/sketches and fulfill imaginary bilingual content requirements,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1p52z6XEmI

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

The West Island do be like that though.

More like the waste island :smug:

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Anyway, Vancouver has the opportunity to do the funniest thing ever

Hopefully it involves having riot cops waiting outside the arena as the game ends to immediately start beating people as they exit the arena.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

They're going to be lined up to protect the new Apple store

There it is, the protestant work ethic :wotwot:

Montreal cops just enjoy beating people for the sake of it

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

i know it’s a bit out of place for this but I remember going to pints and quarts on bank in ottawa for the last tragically hip concert, but this, there’s some equivalence for Quebec that I feel compelled to share even if it’s just for me and whatever other lost soul who gets it,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoNTblEQtf4

merci Karl,
et les cowboys :clint: :quebec:

quote:

Qu’elle soit extra ou ordinaire
Chaque vie finit d’la même manière
C’est la seule justice sur la terre
Tous égaux dans le cimetière

digitalist has issued a correction as of 05:18 on Apr 27, 2024

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/SamHersh01/status/1785708697118798125?t=M7yL-LpxKzDPmXB4rU-OUg&s=19

Lol, and this comes after McGill requested police assistance and the cops just shrugged and did nothing.

Well I for one am sorely disappointed, Montreal cops loved beating us when we were out in the streets protesting a decade ago and students today don't get the same treatment? Kids today have it so easy.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

Following in John James' footsteps?

https://www.ledevoir.com/politique/quebec/812084/legault-demande-spvm-demanteler-campement-pro-palestine-mcgill

quote:

Legault asks SPVM to dismantle pro-Palestine camp at McGill

On Thursday, Premier François Legault asked the Service de police de la Ville de Montréal (SPVM) to dismantle the pro-Palestine encampment at McGill University. For the time being, the police force has ruled this out, with officers present in large numbers in downtown Montreal on Thursday to prevent a confrontation between members of the encampment and pro-Israel demonstrators gathered near the university.

"This is an illegal camp. [...] The law must be respected. So I expect the police to break up these illegal encampments. And that's what McGill has asked for," he told reporters.

The Premier pointed out that a ruling handed down on Wednesday by the Superior Court attests to the illegality of the encampment in support of the Gazan people. Judge Chantal Masse pointed out that the demonstrators were "illegally" occupying McGill's land by camping there. She nevertheless ruled that there was no urgent need to dismantle the protesters' installations, thereby rejecting the request for a temporary injunction to prohibit the mobilization.

"If you read the decision, it clearly says it's illegal. It's clear to me that it's illegal and we have to respect the law," said Mr. Legault.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

FF we're gonna need a long post about the history of francophones and jews in quebec

FF?

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

Nine of Eight posted:

https://fr.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%A8gres_blancs_d%27Am%C3%A9rique

I’d link the English wiki page but it’s unfortunately lacking on detail. definitely a product of its time period and pretty heavily critiqued since.
You might be thinking of the poster Gros Tarla who’s evidently Quebecois and occasionally tried to explain Quebec cultural issues when the CAQ was doing dumb poo poo and got pretty heavily trolled by the thread. Although we definitely don’t agree on some poo poo I didn’t think he ever made that argument though.

Here's more info on the book for those interested,
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%A8gres_blancs_d%27Am%C3%A9rique

And a quote put through deepl,

quote:

Background to the writing of the book

After the police dismantled the Felquist network they had just set up, Pierre Vallières, accompanied by Charles Gagnon, took refuge in New York with groups of Black Panther activists. On September 25 and 26, 1966, they demonstrated in front of the United Nations headquarters to demand political prisoner status for their comrades incarcerated in Montreal, and to publicize the Quebec people's struggle for national liberation.

As a result of this demonstration, both were imprisoned in Manhattan's Tombs (en)1 prison.

After a 29-day hunger strike, it was in this prison, where the vast majority of the inmate population was black, that Pierre Vallières wrote the manuscript of Nègres blancs d'Amérique over a two-month period. Vallières worked day and night on the manuscript, with the help of a multitude of small graphite pencils (pens were forbidden)2, and took it out of prison in the form of notes addressed to his lawyer, who gave them to Gérald Godin, then publisher of Parti pris3.

After four months in detention, Vallières and Gagnon are released, only to be immediately arrested by Canadian authorities and incarcerated in Bordeaux prison. After a year's wait, Vallières finally goes on trial on charges of manslaughter for Thérèse Morin, a secretary at the Lagrenade factory who was killed when a bomb planted by the FLQ exploded. On March 14, 1968, during the third week of his trial, Nègres blancs d'Amérique4 was published. Vallières' attitude, words and writings earned him a life sentence on April 5, 19681. Following a new trial, however, he was released in May 1970.

quote:

Description

This essay is divided into three parts. The first provides a brief overview of French-Canadian history, and analyzes the social relations between the working class, the petty bourgeoisie and the ruling elites in Quebec society in the 1950s and 1960s, still under the economic sway of Anglo-American conglomerates and unable to define itself clearly in relation to the various forms of power then being exercised. The autobiographical second part is complemented by a third, consisting of political proposals from a Marxist perspective to improve the position of the Quebec proletariat.

For Vallières, French-speaking Quebec at the time was the homeland of a people still largely colonized, which only a (Marxist) revolution could liberate. This project for a socialist Quebec drew its references from the economists Paul Alexander Baran, Paul Sweezy and André Gunder Frank of the American magazine Monthly Review, who at the time were highly influential on the Quebec left1.

The expression "White Negroes" stems from a comparison Vallières makes with the situation of American Blacks, who in his eyes are still considered slaves in the United States, and the Quebec working class and sub-proletariat, "slaves" of a dominant Anglo-Saxon elite:

"Since the establishment of New France in the 17th century, have they not been the servants of the imperialists, the "white Negroes of America"? Were they not, like Black Americans, imported to serve as cheap labor in the New World? The only difference between them is the color of their skin and their continent of origin. After three centuries, their condition has remained the same. They are still a reservoir of cheap labor that capital owners are free to make work for them or reduce to unemployment, according to their financial interests, and that they are free to pay poorly, mistreat and trample underfoot."

- Pierre Vallières, Nègres blancs d'Amérique5

For a time, this book was considered the main manifesto of the Quebec national liberation movement, and was reprinted several times by different publishers (Parti pris, Maspero, Typo)6.

edit: Just realized we linked to the same article, anyway, here's a 3rd excerpt

quote:

Reception and reviews

Released in the midst of the Pierre Vallières trial, the book received considerable media exposure and immediately became a huge success. Over 100,000 copies were sold3. The book was very well received by Canadian academics and quickly became a reference book, being studied in colleges and universities. It was translated into English, Italian and German, ensuring wide distribution and making it the best-selling Quebec essay abroad for a long time7,3.

When it was published in La Presse, Nègres blancs d'Amérique was described as a shock book, a manifesto hitherto unparalleled in Quebec4. In the New York Times, Christopher Lehmann-Haupt argues that the book is likely to take its place alongside the writings of Malcolm X, Eldridge Cleaver, Frantz Fanon, Che Guevara and Régis Debray8.

On the fortieth anniversary of the book's release, Louis Hamelin described Nègres blancs d'Amérique as the best Quebec document on the ferment of the 1960s2. In 2018, Marc Laurendeau asserts that the book brilliantly captures the social climate of the time, denouncing the elites, the bourgeoisie, as well as English-Canadian and American colonialism3.

digitalist has issued a correction as of 01:09 on May 3, 2024

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

And while we're hanging out in the late 60s/early 70s, forgive this indulgence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx1-N6AFucw

edit: I suppose for context, in case it's new, speak white is what English people would tell people speaking French in public or wherever if they felt like being dicks.

digitalist has issued a correction as of 01:41 on May 3, 2024

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

It's a soldier trying to catch a moose because he can't afford to buy actual groceries and his rifle is broken

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

He's trying to gently caress the moose

:hmmyes:

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0tb-osR_XI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU