Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
canada is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
wait no poo poo i meant to write bad

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

hell never surpass his "dad"

and to top it off he signed us on to infinite debt

lmao at this post

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
ci may not be a good poster but he's the poster canpol deserves because he is garbage and so are canadians

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

R. Guyovich posted:

i have no idea why there is a group of people who so vehemently defend bad posting in the other thread but am willing to read someone's explanation of it. the whole thread culture seems very weird and has been flying under the radar for a while due to Canada

the thread has a weird culture in particular because it's simultaneously a canpol debate thread and a canadian D&D posters chat thread because a lot of us have been posting in there for years and years and so it's full of dumb memes and in-jokes like how the keg is the pinnacle of canadian cuisine

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Yinlock posted:

he kinda makes the thread unreadable though

the current state of affairs is pretty good imo we get like two days of pent-up rage at garbage canadians to remind us all how lovely our homeland is and then he disappears for a month and the thread returns to a classic state of canadian malaise in which we pretend our problems don't exist because we can't see them at the moment

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

pfizerman posted:

im trying to find the election ad Paul Calandra made in his living room about how much he loves watching a Netflix with his family unlike those nasty luberals and NDP but im being disappointed guys

so here's elizabeth may drunkenly ranting at her colleagues

https://youtu.be/UpOE59SinhE

thats because you misremembered and it was literally stephen harper sitting prime minister of canada at the time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6avI44lheyc

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Stickarts posted:

Evil Joven’s brain tumour has made him pure rear end in a top hat lately idk. Next thing we know he’s going to be pooping in mall plants.

also James Baud has a bad habit of responding to perfectly ordinary CanPol posts with unprovoked personal attacks on the poster for some reason, so there's that

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
the boston pizza experience is going to a generic restaurant to pay a 10x markup for digiornio or, if you're feeling adventurous, for spaghetti with classico's sauce on it

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
better yet buy a proper pasta cookbook and learn to make your own sauce for a million times better eating, also impress all your friends by making proper food for them

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

PT6A posted:

On the other hand sometimes you get lazy, which is generally when you'd go to a poo poo-tier place like The Keg or BP, in which case "boil pasta and pour sauce out of jar" is an attractive option.

But, yeah, learning how to cook well is awesome and everyone should do it.

thats how i lived when i was a 20yo undergrad, now im a real adult and make almost a weeks worth of food on the weekend so i never have to cook when i feel lazy

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

if you want actual canpol talk, wibur ross is real mad that Trudeau signed TPP

yeah but now america isnt involved so it must be good????

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Zajajaja posted:

I believe China does not have our best interests at heart. However it literally doesn't matter if we sign TPP or not because Aecon will just keep doing whatever it does freely on our soil forever because gently caress having government assets! SELL IT ALL! THE HIGHWAYS, THE OFFICES ALL OF IT! WOW LOOK AT THAT CASH ROLL IN!!!!

Yeah but at least the tpp won't have copyright bullshit. So theres that.

uh excuse me i think youll find that its not selling government assets if its just a 99-year lease

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Risky Bisquick posted:

How many kids do you have in your downtown condo lifestyle where you cook from scratch daily dream? None, you don't say

lifehack, don't have children

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

oh it's way better than that

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/staff-at-bitcoin-business-bound-by-armed-bandits-police

three morons got a bunch of guns and broke into the brick-and-mortar office of a bitcoin company to try to convince them to send butts to an address, but one of the five employees of that company called police

:stare:

wow good thing those technolibertarians were protected by the state

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Food: $200
Data: $150
Rent: $800
The Keg: $3, 600
Utility: $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this.
my family is dying.

Food: $200
Data: $150
Rent: $800
LAVs: $3, 600
Utility: $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this.
my family is dying.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

is... is canada bad? :ohdear:

It's 1/35,151,728th less bad now

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Eox posted:

we are cspams canadarm

so every news report about cspam has to prominently feature a full paragraph about whatever our current role is then?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
cspam canpol thread is to d&d canpol thread as canadarm is to avro arrow

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
the arm so good that when we made a new one we just called it Canadarm2

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
just for fun here is the map of the ISS

the Russian parts get cool names: Zvezda (star), Poisk (search), Pirs (pier), Nauka (science), Zarya (dawn), Rassvet (also dawn). Other parts get cool English names like Quest, Unity, Tranquility, Destiny, Harmony, etc.

Canada chose loving Canadarm for our contribution, and then decided that was such a cool name that when we built another one it was Canadarm2

this country is garbage with no ambition or creativity

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
im surprised we didnt refer to chris hadfield as a canadastronaut the whole time he was up there because were so insecure we have to remind people we exist 24/7

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

angerbeet posted:

I will have you know that not only did Canada invent the Canadarm, we also invented Time Zones

also the greatest airplane ever to not fly the skies

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

this whole post is basically

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMfStd3v330

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
i for one am shocked that inequality has increased since 1980

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Helsing posted:

Toronto's insane housing and rental prices drive most poor and immigrant communities into the inner suburbs where they have awful transit, poorly maintained apartment stock and terrible community planning. The city government mostly just views these neighborhoods as potential sites of future gentrification. Affluent downtown progressives use the existence of Rob Ford as an excuse to poo poo all over everyone living in these neighborhoods.

The average city councilor has a re-election rate that's about as competitive as a North Korean election and the council is like 85% white and 100% affluent in a city where more than half the population was born outside the country. I don't think it's hard to understand why people outside the core (and plenty of people inside it) don't like the government very much.

To add one thing to this, the fact that those poor and immigrant neighborhoods outside downtown are very poorly served by city services means the people there are hostile to political arguments that revolve around increasing services, because it's very rare for those services to actually be targeted at helping them and much more common for them to be targeted at helping the affluent people downtown. Spending on the TTC is a good example. The vast majority of those red splotches are served exclusively by TTC bus service (if they have public transit at all), so the people there either rely on the worst and most inefficient part of Toronto's transit system, or they drive their cars. The TTC and its downtown supporters, on the other hand, tend to focus expansion and modernization plans on the dense downtown infrastructure like buying new streetcars, building the Eglinton Crosstown, or planning a DRL to alleviate overcrowding. It's small wonder that people in the poorly-served areas object to having their taxes raised to pay for these things, because they don't benefit from them and historically haven't been considered in the planning of these kinds of projects. Then people come in and wonder why, for example, it was such a popular thing for Rob Ford to be so intransigent on building a single incredibly expensive subway station in Scarborough rather than modernizing the Scarborough LRT, when what he was essentially saying was that the people in Scarborough should be treated the same as the people downtown and should get the same services (in the most inefficient and costly way possible).

There are, of course, good reasons why the TTC is structured the way it is, with density being the biggest one: it's not efficient to run costly subway lines out to low-density suburbs. But we shouldn't be surprised when people who don't benefit from city services are opposed to the costly expansion of those services, especially when the politicians in power make very little effort to get their buy-in, and when they're also increasingly alienated by the transformations in our economic structures over the last 40 years.

Or, in other words,

Risky Bisquick posted:

Amalgamated Toronto was and still is a stupid idea

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dreylad posted:

I'm curious if you know can confirm this: I had a prof at York I was talking to say that 80% of low income housing in Toronto is approaching or is already past its expected lifespan and we're all set for a major housing crisis (I mean if you don't already call what's happening that) in the next decade as a lot of these apartment building fall apart. I know quite a few of them are already.

Here's a 2014 U of T report on low-income families' housing situation in the city: http://neighbourhoodchange.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Paradis-etal-2014-Risk-of-Homelessness-Toronto-Rental-Buildings-RP231.pdf

quote:

As seen in the figure on the next page, almost nine in ten families live in inadequate housing and are at some risk of homelessness. Only 11 percent of respondents’ housing met minimum standards in all six domains of adequacy.

Half of all families live in overcrowded conditions, while close to half are in buildings with persistent pests, frequent elevator breakdowns, and/or broken door locks. One in three families pays more than half of its monthly income on rent and other housing costs. About one in four families lives in a unit in disrepair, or in a building that feels unsafe. More than one in five families had insecure housing and was at risk of eviction due to rental arrears in the year preceding the study.

Focus groups revealed that housing loss is a common occurrence among low-income families living in these conditions. The vast majority of families who lose their housing due to eviction, violence, unsafe conditions, or other factors do not use shelters; instead, they double-up with other families, often in very overcrowded conditions. The families in Toronto’s shelters therefore represent only a fraction of those who are homeless.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
canspam right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8h_v_our_Q

vyelkin has issued a correction as of 19:47 on Jan 26, 2018

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

infernal machines posted:

So, do you know what the Transit City plan was? Do you know who killed it his first day in office?

And to Helsing, the existence of Rob Ford is because the people most affected by his regressive bullshit aren't voting. The deceased Robert Ford's nephew, whose last name was not originally Ford, was elected ward councilor by something like 17% of the entire population of the ward, with over 70% of the vote IIRC.

His highest profile rival was Andray Domise, who received approximately a rounding error of votes.

Look I'm not saying it's rational or good, I'm saying it's comprehensible. People who are poorly served by transit don't tend to use transit, and thus don't see expanding transit as a good thing and are much more willing to vote for people who cancel transit projects even when those projects would have extended service towards them. You can argue all day about which came first, the poor service or the anti-transit attitudes, but they tend to go together.

War On The Car sells because there are legitimately a ton of people in the Toronto outskirts who never use transit and drive their cars every day and don't want to pay for other people's transit even if the transit gets extended to their neighborhoods, because they habitually use their cars and thus don't see the benefit of transit.

Incidentally, Rob Ford was also popular because he actually bothered to pretend he gave a poo poo about people in poor areas by doing things like returning their phone calls. When you don't tend to interact with city services because you're very poorly served by them because the city doesn't care about you (because you're poor, for example), even small things like pretending to give a poo poo when you get a call from a constituent can make a big difference considering how poor a grasp of policy most people have and how little they actually understand how Ford or any other politician's policy proposals would help or hurt them.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Nebakenezzer posted:

Can I file an objection about associating Nietzsche with this scrofulous motherfucker

Also "the wages of sin is death" being actually Darwinian selection at work and that's what sin means is so hilariously wrong I don't know where to start

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/dennis-roberts-buying-old-f-18-jets-is-a-bad-idea-it-just-makes-our-existing-problem-worse

The NP is usually trash but this is good (non-Canadians: our two main newspapers are P and NP)

Actually that article is Tom Clancy imaginary bullshit.

quote:

These older series aircraft — a generation behind the enhanced Super Hornet — cannot carry current electronically scanned radar (which is effective at a much greater range than older models) or more advanced, long-range air-to-air munitions. But they will be faced with adversaries who have such long-range capabilities. They would start any engagement at a decided disadvantage.

Enormous [citation needed] growing bigger and bigger until it swallows the article

quote:

The mission computers of existing legacy Hornets are tapped out — not to mention concomitant limitations in power and cooling — thereby restricting the ability to introduce new sensors and other capabilities. Russian bombers able to launch advanced long-range cruise missiles against NORAD pose serious challenges to existing legacy Hornet capabilities.

If Russian bombers are launching advanced long-range cruise missiles against NORAD Canada will have zero influence on either side no matter what airplanes we have, because we are not a nuclear-armed state

quote:

The cost to keep such older aircraft flying continues to grow. The operating costs of an old Hornet are approximately double those of a new Super Hornet. It is increasingly hard to find spare parts for legacy Hornets. Military maintainers have been forced to cannibalize some jets to keep others in the air.

This is exactly the point of buying the old planes (well except the giant gently caress you to Boeing for going after Bombardier), so that we can cannibalize them for parts

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
canada's motto should be "we have no creativity and are very unambitious"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
if you read about the history of nationalism you will find that by far one of the most potent forces for forging a national identity is having an other to define yourself against, it doesn't matter if the things you think about the other are true or not as long as you can stereotype them and say "i know im british because im not one of those loving french people" and this toxic exceptionalism sinks in to your culture and before you know it presto you're a nation mostly defined by reifying whatever it is that sets you apart from the people you hate

there is no better poster child for this than canada

we could be 192/193 on some UN ranking and as long as america was 193rd we would see it as a huge accomplishment

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Yinlock posted:

i mean yes we're not really helping either the usa or whoever they're turbofucking when we're sitting off to the side making plane noises in a cardboard box but we're not making things worse either, for once

remember how it was supposed to be a big scandal that trudeau withdrew our six planes that can barely fly from bombing isis lmao

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

paul_soccer10 posted:

Here is an interesting article
https://hssh.journals.yorku.ca/index.php/hssh/article/viewFile/4218/3416

Roots Nationalism: Branding English Canada Cool in the 1980s and 1990s

WE THE NORTH BABY WOOO

idk how on earth you could write an article like that and not cite michael billig but somehow they managed it

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
"we the north" is a banal nationalistic slogan that says the most fundamental thing about canadian identity is our geographic location relative to the united states

Dreylad posted:

reading 19th century american history, it's remarkable how america then is canada now, except america constantly defined itself as Not Britain. It wasn't until the US became a global power and it could cast itself as a world leader (now in opposition to non-Wilsonian democratic ideas) it left that behind.

yeah that's really interesting

another thing I found interesting reading Linda Colley's Britons recently was how she situated British exceptionalism as particularly toxic because Britain was never forced to confront the evils it inflicted on others by losing a war and/or being occupied by a hostile power, whereas almost every other European country faced defeat and occupation at one point or another, whether in whole or in part, and usually in the 20th century, which tended to have a hugely humbling effect on myths of national power and superiority. Even when Britain lost wars, they lost them overseas and never suffered the humiliation or severe civilian casualties and repression of countries that lost land wars on their own territory, which meant they could perpetuate the myth of British exceptional glory and nationalist chauvinism without consequences, leading to continuing present thoughts that Britain can do everything on its own and doesn't need anyone else

she wrote the book in 1992 but the parallels to both Brexit and contemporary American nationalism stunned me while I was reading it

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dreylad posted:

yeah but the raptors are really good this year.

they are and its funny trying to watch them from here in the us because american commentators are basically like "lol who are these guys and why are they 2nd in the east ahead of LeBron?????"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dreylad posted:

I will say that broadly speaking "the north" as imagined place within Canadian nationalist mythology has always resonated with post-1918 Canadian nationalists. despite the fact that 90% of canadians live within 100k of the American border, we identify ourselves as a nordic people, and the north exists in our culture and history the same way the wild west exists for American history and culture, complete with cowboys and indians.

my favourite example of this is the NFB's City of Gold narrated by Pierre Berton.

I would argue that a substantial portion of this is because our culture is so similar to American culture that one of the few things we have to define us as a people is our existence north of an imagined line, so "north" in Canadian nationalism isn't solely the frontier idea of the outdoorsman and pioneer and voyageur, it's also the idea that we're essentially the northern fringe of the united states, as you say, clinging to the border, but we try to differentiate ourselves culturally by defining ourselves as northern compared to southern based on the political but not really geographical border, much the same way many europeans define themselves as western rather than eastern (you could easily imagine an alt-right type white nationalist using the slogan "we the west", for example)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Hand Knit posted:

Wait what does Billig have on this? I read him for something completely unrelated and it was pretty good so I'm interested.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banal_nationalism is a canonical text on how modern nations reify nationalism and strengthen national identity in banal, everyday, invisible ways so that when it comes time to fight a war or mobilize nationalism for a political reason we're all fired up and ready to go already

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Reince Penis posted:

HOW ARE YOU GENTLEMEN

YOU HAVE NO CHANCE TO SURVIVE MAKE YOUR TIME

quote:

Ford said he wants to prevent the party from falling into the hands of "insiders" and "elites" and that it needs strong leadership.

"I have been deeply troubled by what I have seen recently unfolding within the PC Party," Ford told reporters in Etobicoke, a district in the west end of Toronto.

"Lifelong supporters have been watching in horror as it falls into complete disarray. We have seen backroom politics at its worst, insiders trying to politically capitalize at the expense of the people, elites who are disconnected from the grassroots of the party and don't care about the average struggles of Ontarians."

Ford said he would be the candidate to "clean up the mess" and change the "hostile environment" of the party.

"This is truly a critical moment for our party, for our people and for the future of our province," he said.

Ford, who took no questions, noted that "the elites" of the party "do not want me in this race."

this is entirely unsurprising and tbh either the rest of the pcs rally around a consensus candidate like elliott or ford probably wins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

infernal machines posted:

My dude, have you heard of blockchain?

Like what if we could vote from home, but it was painfully slow, massively wasteful, and absolutely trivial to de-anonymize?

All those upsides, plus it still wouldn't get rid of the problem of your family members watching over your shoulder as you vote! What a perfect system, sign me up!