Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

yellowcar posted:

two of them are essential the same tho

yeah and the only difference between them and the third is that the cons hate abortions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Postess with the Mostest posted:

My town's highest rated restaurant on Yelp is a fry truck. Would way rather eat there than the keg.

I am shocked your town has a restaurant rated on Yelp.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Zajajaja posted:

Yeah but at least the tpp won't have copyright bullshit. So theres that.

Yeah at Christmas I bought a book with James Bond stories because apparently he’s public domain in Canada now, and I don’t want to lose that. (I don’t know anything about copyright I just thought that was cool)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
While banned from having firearms.

Sounds like a good kid.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

DariusLikewise posted:

does anyone actually know if the maritimes exist, like have anyone every actually been there?

Ya everyone there is super racist and always drunk. Like Alberta with fish

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

THC posted:

It's not as simple as just marrying a Canadian. You still have to follow the same process as other prospective immigrants (or just be rich and become an Immigrant Investor lol)

It's pretty easy if you're a white from places like the UK or US.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Terror Sweat posted:

Even if you voted by mail?

That’s totally different because it’s impossible to interfere with a paper ballot sent by post.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

THC posted:

yeah it's very widespread, and not limited to telcos or cablecos

a friend of mine worked for Bell in business accounts and in order to meet the ridiculously unattainable sales quotas he and people in his department would sign people up for USB LTE sticks, activate them and just stick them in a drawer. if a customer noticed the extra charges and asked about it (maybe 10% of them would ever notice) they'd call it an error and take it off. when their bosses found out, they just swept it under the rug because otherwise they'd be on the hook for missed sales quotas as well.

Your friend is a coward.

Companies do this kind of poo poo because their employees care more about the crappy paycheque they get than having ethical standards.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

THC posted:

Oh, I see, it's the workers' fault that the company rewards unethical practices when it's not ignoring them

When the worker is literally stealing from people, they bear some responsibility, yes.

Pushing protection plans aggressively is one thing, knowingly adding fake charges to bills is a very different thing.

Nothing in your story speaks to the evil company being ok with this behaviour. This is people doing lovely things because apparently nobody had the guts to say anything about it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

THC posted:

you apparently did not read the recent spate of news stories describing these practices as being both widespread and encouraged by managers

and when I say “encouraged” I of course mean “you foist unasked for products onto unwitting customers or you lose your job”

Yeah I must have. In your story the bosses clearly didn't tell them to do it, though, because you said they swept it under the rug when they found out. More likely there are bad incentivization structures and a lot of people who look the other way, so employees think it's ok to do poo poo like this, when a couple minutes of thinking about it makes it blatantly clear that it isn't.

Again, there is a big difference between aggressive sales tactics and adding lines to bills and just hoping people don't notice. In particular, it's that they added items to the bill which they then didn't give to the customer. At least if the sales guy slips the protection plan on your item you have a protection plan on it.

e: You friend sucks, his coworkers suck, and his managers suck for not firing him on the spot with cause.

Jordan7hm has issued a correction as of 01:23 on Feb 1, 2018

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I read those stories, yeah. I still think there's a big difference between hiding charges and aggressive sales targets coupled with upselling, but at the end of the day I don't disagree that the culture is toxic. I think that type of behaviour would hurt the company in the end if not for the fact they basically operate without real competition.

I think one issue there is that good salespeople can hit those aggressive targets in a legit manner, but bad salespeople need to do underhanded stuff to make the numbers, and then the company attaches the targets to the good salesperson's performance, who had to start doing underhanded stuff to improve when they arbitrarily increase the targets for the next quarter, vicious cycle etc. Plus, sales is a rough business, and most people aren't good salespeople, especially people who are working in a call center because they couldn't find anything better.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Actually it’s a great sign that if you were going to agree with that position you might want to rethink it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Helsing posted:

This is probably the lamest (and laziest) kind of political criticism imaginable but I feel like at this rate Trudeau Jr. is barely going to be remembered in 20 years. The sheer vacuity and banality of his government up to this point is remarkable.

Maybe there will be a defining economic crash or national crisis of some kind that puts him in the history books but I think at the moment we're on track for him to oversee the most banal placeholder government imaginable.

If Trudeau cracked his head in the shower or had a brain aneurysm tomorrow what would be the most memorable thing about his time in office?

He’s going to be like Jim Watson in Ottawa. Nothing special (well, Jim had amalgamation and all the sports stuff, but it never really felt like it was about him) but does enough to just stay elected.

Also, unless he really fucks up there’s a good chance he’ll just stay in power for a really long time, which is notable in itself.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Brown basically just saying “gently caress you, I’m gonna tank this poo poo” to the PC party is wonderful.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Man, you are reading that really oddly.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

vyelkin posted:

loving lmao alberta wants to secede and join america

http://nationalpost.com/news/politics/why-leaving-canada-makes-sense-for-alberta-and-u-s-would-likely-welcome-a-new-state

as if all that success isn't built on importing unemployed newfies and then kicking them out when oil crashes

This is an interesting way to describe an article from 2015 about an american’s book.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CamelBak is tied to an assault weapons manufacturer? drat.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
a votre leadership

lol quebec

also that reporter dude burned the gently caress out of Ouellet

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

flakeloaf posted:

What are the odds the OLP hears the poo poo-winds blowing and encourages Wynne to move over for someone less disastrously unpopular?

The OLP aren't morons like the PC party, and understand that you can't have a leadership change a handful of months before an election.

Ford is going to have his base, but they're going to get killed if they run with the socons.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Isizzlehorn posted:

True, though it would have to be the OLP under different leadership than Wynne. If she doesn't personally loathe Doug enough to work with the NDP now, she most definitely will by the end of the election.

This is the kind of thing I expect the PC's to govern on, not run with. This should have been a death sentence politically but, in a post-TRUMP world, nothing matters lol.

Why would it be a death sentence politically? Lots of poor people who are dumb as poo poo are opposed to it. The ones previously making 15$ per hour who will now only be making 15$ per hour.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That seems like a pretty generic and expected PC party platform item.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Rob and Doug are both really solid political messes but just wait until you see the third brother

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
He does know how to sell weed though. So at least that could go well.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Please don’t change your avatar it’s confusing.

e: Supply management is probably bad but crab in the bucket arguments against it aren’t particularly convincing.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

vyelkin posted:

It's almost as if relying on the profit motive of a private corporation was a bad way to subsidize rural living. It's perfectly rational for Greyhound to stop running these unprofitable routes, but it is very likely in the public interest to have unprofitable transportation service these small communities.

just empty quote this forever.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

vyelkin posted:

But my 40th-floor condo isn't underwater

Bit of an assumption there.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

James Baud posted:

Hey, don't forget he just told someone they were racist for echoing the Quebec government's "When is Ottawa going to pay the costs for all the illegal immigrants?" over the weekend, if I skimmed headlines right this morning.

I'm currently too busy to go looking for French transcriptions or commentary, but that kind of thing can lose Trudeau a ton of maybe/sometimes Liberal voters in addition to firing up the Conservatives' base. Even more in Quebec than the rest of the country.

it can also gain him support from the people who elected him. Also, who cares, that lady is racist, good for him.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Yinlock posted:

the conservative insistence that colleges are dens of liberal scum hiveminds still baffles me

I dunno man I was in a 4th year sociology class where a number of people thought there was never a scenario where we needed prisons. At work I’m the borderline communist, but in that class I was basically Hitler.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Virtual Russian posted:

Not to mention Trudeau could score some easy, and desperately needed, points at home by looking tough and standing up to Trump. As much as I despise Trudeau, Scheer is looking really bad.

Yeah a policy of “gently caress you trump we can wait you out” wouldn’t hurt going into an election year.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
if more minimum wage workers voted the cons would do even better because minimum wage workers are stupid and don’t vote in their own interests

they think that the immigrants are what stops them from getting a better job

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

THC posted:

Trudeau is going to be re-elected lmao

I don’t love the liberals but if my other option is Scheer I’m happy to get more years of Trudeau.

I wouldn’t mind an actual NDP though.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
the posters here are the same ones in d&d who think you’re nuts

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I work with someone who got her masters in the US, owns a house there with her husband, and has had a good professional job there for half a decade. She was on a work visa the whole time and they were saying it would still be years until she got a PR.

it took her only a couple months to get a Canadian PR.

I think it’s really cool, and I’m glad our country encourages people like her to move here.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
other than being racist the bloq is basically the ndp

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
also Quebec.

one of my SO’s old high school friends was going to show up to a Halloween party in blackface like 2 years ago until she called him out on it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I used to do inventories where we would need to manually translate the letter codes to costs while doing the inventory. bleh. that was only like 15 years ago too

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It’s a more complicated word than some other slurs, because there are groups that use it to self identify. mostly in Alaska not Canada

we probably shouldn’t have a football team called the Edmonton Inuits either though so whatever. maybe just stay away from calling your sports teams after peoples

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I give a lot to a local non profit that has a pathway to full time subsidized housing. it isn’t focused on indigenous people per se, but a disproportionate amount of help goes to them because sadly they are also disproportionately homeless and in need.

honestly figuring out the best place to put my money is a challenge, so I just went with an org that I knew really well and trust to do right.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

👀

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

infernal machines posted:

it was SAP, deloitte, and accenture. there was no chance it was ever going to be anything but a monumental boondoggle

SAP and Accenture weren’t involved. Phoenix is a heavily customized version of PeopleSoft implemented by IBM, though you’re right Deloitte was one of the subs to IBM, from what I understand mostly doing some business process mapping, data conversion and training material development.

The main impropriety was centralizing the pay function and relocating the pay center to the Mirimichi for political reasons, despite there not being the correct skill sets to staff a pay center there. The failures of Phoenix otherwise are bog standard enterprise software / business transformation failures, exacerbated by an unwillingness in the public sector to take accountability for decision making. That’s how you end up with a PMO run by a third consulting firm reporting everything green to senior management while the folks doing the implementation are calling out major issues on the ground.

the Gilroy report is a pretty good read and provides real insight into this type of project failure.