Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

When I worked in a Vancouver area high school several of my students had met Chip Wilson’s kids “The Twins” personally by either working at or being around the Vancouver Yacht Club and unsurprisingly, they are total psychopaths.

Fun stories include them apparently pissing off the top deck of their yacht onto their yacht staff in front of the club and one of The Twins stabbing their education assistant at their private school with a pencil and giving a settlement and NDA to the worker to stay quiet.

I’m so glad the high school got to be graced with Mr. Wilson’s presence who made a speech about success. I think the students would have been more captivated by his boner theories though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

KPMG (iirc) was hired by the BC Teachers Federation to do an audit and ended up finding millions of bucks that were owed to the union.

The last general meeting I attended had a debate over whether we should give them the boot as our accounting firm on account that Panama papers shenanigans means evaded taxes are siphoned from public school systems. No one cared and it was voted down.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

The Venn diagram of people who look like Andrew Sheer and entitled suburban boomer rear end in a top hat dads who yelled at me when I worked customer service is just a circle.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

My dentist was shocked when I said I’d rather watch nothing than the Big Bang Theory. guess I don’t like Cancon

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

im about 90% sure this catho laicite bullshit was orchestrated by the federal government to destroy our separatist movement and this stupid rear end cuck province fell for it

much more likely that CAQ voters are just racist.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Arivia posted:

Lays Native Tastes: pemmican, Salish Salmon, sage and sweetgrass

ok but what if I actually want these.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Arivia posted:

it's okay! 10 cents from each bag goes to water treatment plants for Native communities!

for every selfie shared, we will donate 10 cents to raise awareness of lack of clean drinking water.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

你们都应该学中文。

Oh yeah I forgot to mention, Trudeau’s name sounds like potato (literally Earth Bean) in Mandarin which means that my fiancé’s mom and all her friends refer to him as 小土豆 (Little Potato).

They have also all disavowed Trudeau as their choice for the election because of the Meng affair and being very influenced by WeChat news shares, which parrot state lines. Chinese boomer internet culture is terrifying.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

get that OUT of my face posted:

you can delete the first word, or even the first two words, of this and it would still be true

Agreed, but it’s a different kind of terrifying.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

jfood posted:

Great doukhobor story

I took a BC history class in my undergrad and we read about the Doukhobors. Their use of getting buck-naked as an act of political protest is both hilarious and super effective. When the BC provincial government tried to force all their kids to be educated in the public system, they would get naked and burn down any school built by the state.

Also, sorry to hear about your uncle.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

It’s like if the Grinch demanded to be allowed to march in the Christmas parade even though his heart ain’t grown to the big size yet.

Uh, no Grinch. You might be wearing a Santa outfit, but you haven’t shown that you’re down for Christmas yet.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

I was mostly going for the Grinch as the police but if you want to do capitalism profiteering imagine the Grinch is also selling pride flags and puts a pride coloured rim around his Social media accounts.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

autism ZX spectrum posted:

My girlfriend's dad grew up in B.C and he was telling me these guys did some domestic terrorism too, blowing up bridges and making explosives. When he was growing up he said there was a joke where you'd hold up your hand with the index finger and thumb tucked away (to look like they're missing) and go "look at me! I'm a doukhobor!!"

I've heard this exact story before and my friend who'd go up to the colony swears up and down he'd get stared at by the girls and their old men when he was there. Also apparently when guys went up to do work or something on the colony, supposedly the girls would all be lined up by the side of the road and you'd pick one.

Apparently their cult leader visited from Russia and was killed by dynamite while riding a train on the Kettle valley railway. Due to the insularity of the group and a universal “we don’t talk to cops” mentality (great philosophy, really), they never found out who did it.

If I was driving in Castelgar and saw women lined up on a road with weird old timey dressed elders eyeing me approvingly, I would assume I would be murdered within 2 hours. Way too horror movie.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Postess with the Mostest posted:

If you're marching in something with the pm, you aren't protesting, you're campaigning.

There are so many selfie ops that I think you’d have to beat Justin away with a stick for him to not jump in with a perfectly appropriate costume.

Thanks to the first person who shared the Trudeau down the stairs thing it makes me laugh so hard.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Canada, as always, is a few years behind the US. Our anti-abortion movement is emboldened by the one down south and wants what they’re getting in the US South. The fundementalists Harper kept muzzled are seeing what they can get away with under Sheer and are liking the results.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

oooh we’re writing centrist punk lyrics I want to try:

Max out TFSA
Extradite her to the USA
Make promises and walk away
Better Scheer than Jagmeet or Maaaaaaay!!!

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

edit: butt post

ARACHTION has issued a correction as of 19:38 on Jul 24, 2019

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Wow their skin is all so red.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

That's not skin, comrade. That's "gammon".

Had to look up a picture of “gammon” to see what it is and was temporarily confused as all the results looked like Dougie’s jowls.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

my seatbelt says "lift" on it but not "soulevez" give me twenty one thousand dollars please

Seriously, lol at the poor Québécois who still believe in 2019 that they are ~Canada’s oppressed minority~ and not the immigrants, people of colour and indigenous peoples in their own province. The Venn diagram between those who feel this way and approve the Muslim headscarf ban is a perfect circle.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

I was on a flight yesterday from Osaka to Vancouver full of Chinese tourists and I was precisely the only person who could understand the French language announcements. I know because they would have found it impossible not to cringe at that C- Core French butchery.

I worked in a privately funded Canadian WW2 museum in France where more than one Québécois group complained that it was their constitutional right to not only be served in French (it wasn’t), but it was also their right to be served in the Québécois French accent.

They weren’t as annoying as the know it all Toronto exurb boomer dads with moustaches who would always attempt to correct me with incorrect information.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Another Bill posted:

English canada attacking french canadians for racism is not only wildly hypocritical (uhhh hello the continuing, centuries-old subjugated first nations population) but also demonstrates exactly why a lot of them still believe they're an oppressed minority. Because they're still held to a different standard.

I wouldn't defend the headscarf ban, but any Canadian being critical of Quebec for it should take a long look in the loving mirror first.

I’m half Québécois and never excuse racism from anyone. I’m pointing out that those who feel oppressed in Québec are the same dumbass boomer fucks who feel that one iota of discomfort on their part is oppression despite being very clearly part of the dominant group.

Through gutting of public education, gutting of services to new immigrants, having an extremely inefficient bureaucracy that requires jumping insane hoops to navigate (even as a French speaker), Québec makes it extremely difficult for immigrants to integrate then shits on them for not doing it exactly the way they find acceptable.

Just because you’ve suffered past discrimination, does not give you a pass forever into the future to the same that was done to you.

You’re absolutely right that the rest of Canada makes itself feel better by favourably comparing itself to Québec, but they were a bad place for immigrants before the CAQ and are quickly getting worse.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

On the other hand, most of the anglo minority in Montreal still can't be arsed to learn basic french despite living there their entire lives.

In conclusion, Quebec is a land of contrasts.

How you can go about your life like that is beyond me. I feel bad being in like Germany for a week without knowing any German.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

I’m only half ethnic Québécois, so it’s only half ok.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

I have never seen a public figure love getting dressed up so loving much.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

I got banned for saying boomers are entitled. Like, by using those words.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

If conservatives call Greta the Millennial Joan of Arc, can the Alberta goons out there immediately call the cops if they see anyone wearing a yellow vest anywhere near a pile of wood?

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

If I hadn’t moved back from Montreal to the West Coast, I would have been enthusiastically canvassing in Papineau. Lots of Québec Solidaire support overlapping there and a huge South Asian community that could get more support than normal for Singh’s NDP.

I know the community was pretty tuned out from the Quebecois provincial election, but that seemed more to them being a 1st generation anglophone community which makes it hard to follow french language politics.

I would have done it more for fun than anything. It’s always fun slaying a giant.

ARACHTION has issued a correction as of 16:54 on Oct 19, 2019

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Arivia posted:

what? No, that giant crucifix in the National Assembly is COMPLETELY SECULAR.

They actually took that specific crucifix down. Now to get to work with all the 10 000 other ones in other public buildings and every single drat thing named after saints.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

I don’t see Québec working with Alberta. The way Albertans cry about transfer payments going to lazy Québécois for the last decade has not gone unnoticed.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Is drinking water delivered through lead pipe in Alberta?

BTW, an online map was released by Montreal city government that shows whether or not your apartment probably has lead piping. My last two apartments are labeled under the “Most likely” category :(.

ARACHTION has issued a correction as of 20:10 on Nov 3, 2019

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Can we draft a post-Wexit Albertan national anthem? First few lines:

O, Alberta
Our home on oil sands
True patriots died, for a flat tax

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Québec values test, question 1:

The correct cheese to be placed on poutine is
a) mozzarella
b) white cheddar
c) skouik skouik
d) kraft singles

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

priznat posted:

all of the above

Please prepare yourself for immediate deportation to Ontario/New Brunswick.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

At this point the silent majority are those wide eyed watching this guy go full fasc on Tucker Carlson and whose who just wish they could never hear his name again.

Lol, basketball is having an explosion of popularity in this country because of the Raptors and whole new generation of fans and hockey has had the same racist grampy foreeeeever.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

odiv posted:

I think he's confused. It's the silent generation that's with him.

My old and similarly confused Grandma started a sentence by saying “There’s so many of these immigrants coming in...” and I groaned but was so happy when she ended it with... “and it’s wrong that we’re not helping them out enough to get well settled”. :)

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Was there an equivalent, less vomit enducingly named post to “minister of middle class prosperity” before this new cabinet?

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

How the gently caress does a city justify hosting a massive sporting event if they are at the point of turning off street lights to make ends meet?

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Real question: if you’re rich enough and you use an accountant, is there an option to pay an ethical amount of taxes? Like to use all available tax credits but not stretch definitions, create LLCs or income split?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

God... one of my former students and his parents were among those killed in the Iranian plane crash.