Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

bibliosabreur posted:

Also, it'll be a good idea to have the nonlethal weaponry on hand--the blackjacks are, I think, there for a reason.
For a very 19th century definition of non-lethal, sure. The blackjacks are unlikely to kill you immediately and the chance of death from internal bleeding is slightly lower than the background chance of death from horrifying diseases and/or industrial accidents over the same period of time.

wedgekree posted:

According to my memories of Bram Stoker, a vampire can be immobilized by shoving a wooden stake through the heart (which merely leaves it paralyzed until the wood is removed), can be destroyed or heavily injured by prolonged exposure to sunlight. Chopping off the head renders the vampire inert (but it can be revived if the head is put back into place).
Set them up sunbathing like it's Weekend at Bernie's after we're done then? With the number of regular humans we're likely to have assaulted it seems like a good idea to be back in Blighty by sun-up.

quote:

Romanian myth also states that vampires have an obsession when it comes to counting things, so dependent upon the type of vampire we are facing if someone threw, say, a bag of marbles on the ground this might actually be an effective delaying tactic. Sesame Street was apparently right.
Translation of the name has determined him to be a Southern Slavic vampire. One secessionist ethnostate. Ah ah ah! TWO secessionist ethnostate.

This gives us some bigger issues though. We have access to the Webley revolver, probably the most powerful handgun in the world, and because they're compulsive counters we can't reenact Dirty Harry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I want to come up with a plan that involves coming in stealthily from the servants quarters and methodically clearing the ground floor going in a clockwise path, before going upstairs. However I'm almost certain that the undead have innate nightvision and an ungodly sharp sense of hearing. I think going in guns blazing is a better plan anyway. I want to wait for an alternative plan before voting, though.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Can we just set the mansion on fire as we assault? Should be one of the few things that's as bad for the vampires as it is for humans.
Use some lamp oil to really get it going, or even make some Molotov, um, I dunno, Nesselrode Cocktails?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Burning the place down on our way out isn't a bad idea but setting a fire on our way in is just asking to be trapped between flames on one side and an angry bloodsucker or three on the other since I don't think anyone has any skill points in arson to set a controlled fire.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bag of rice, holywater pistol and wooden stake for each soldier

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
Bring along the Maxim Gun.

Force them to count gunshots.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Send in the dogs to lure the vampires out into a firing line of Winchesters and the Maxim.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Sanaki's Lucid Dreaming posted:

Wait, why am I the damsel in distress in my own dream? This is silly! I should change that. I'm gonna say I gunned down a whole lot of vampire stoolies with the Maxim before one of them sneaked up behind me, and then I tossed this piece of paper here on the still hot water jacket...

Contingency Plan CASTLEVANIA
If you're reading this, I've been kidnapped by vampires! And not the sexy and gentle kind, either! SAVE ME, ASSHOLES!

Maxim Team: SYPHA
2x persons, equipped with
The Maxim Gun (2 sp)
2x Blackjack
2x Webley Revolvers
2x Holland & Holland 12-guage shotgun
2x Lanterns
as much ammo as possible for The Maxim Gun while retaining a move of 4-5.

Pointer Team: ALUCARD
4x persons, equipped with
1x Holy Water (1 sp)
1x Dog (1 sp)
4x Derringers
3x James Prudley & Sons 10-gauge shotgun
1x Holland & Holland 12-guage shotgun
4x Blackjack
4x Pattern 1796 Cavalry Sabre
4x Lantern
4x Torches
Enough ammo to retain a move of 6-7

Backer team: TREVOR
4x persons, equipped with
1x Holy Water (1 sp)
4x Derringers
3x Winchester M94 in 30-30 Winchester
1x Holland & Holland 12-guage shotgun
2x Wood Axe (1 for the shotgunner)
2x Cleaver
4x Blackjack
4x Lantern
4x Torches
Enough ammo to retain a move of 5-6

SPECIAL RULES OF ENGAGEMENT
One person each on ALUCARD and TREVOR should have holy water ready to go at all times. Should a vampire be found, IMMEDIATELY use the bottle. If safety and time permit, decapitate or burn all undead bodies.

If you find me, get me out of the house ASAP! Chuck me over the railing or out the window if you have to--I can take a ten foot fall! Maybe sprinkle some holy water on as well, just in case one of the vampires looks like a Japanese soldier lady?

SCHEME OF ACTION
ALUCARD to breach the west window, under cover of SYPHA and TREVOR. As ALUCARD clears rooms systematically, TREVOR stands in positions to provide fire support and guard flanks and rears, while SYPHA remains outside and moves as needed to provide fire support through windows and weak walls, entering the house proper once the living room is secure. A rough point-to-point plan of the assault is attached--blue is SYPHA, red is ALUCARD, green is TREVOR. Clear the ground floor, then the first floor.

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 28, 2018

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

WrightOfWay posted:

Burning the place down on our way out isn't a bad idea but setting a fire on our way in is just asking to be trapped between flames on one side and an angry bloodsucker or three on the other since I don't think anyone has any skill points in arson to set a controlled fire.

This is the best show down. Confronting a vampire surrounded by flames with pitchforks and shotguns.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Casval feels like being a vampire killer. (VOTE COUNTS FOR PLAN CASTLEVANIA)

I'm surprised no one's done an op plan referencing Buffy. For shame, all of you! You woulda had my vote if you did!

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Plan Evictus.

Assemble out front in an unruly mob and present a deed to the manor. Declare the vampire uninvited and they are evicted. Shoot them a lot when they are ejected from the building.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Remember to plug the sinks and turn on the water.

Vampires can't cross running water.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Kommando posted:

Vampires can't cross running water.

Slow moving pelvic thrusting water is entrely different.

If the water is doing Riverdance, back away slowly,you've ended up in a Mel Brooks movie.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

FrangibleCover posted:

2. Enemy:
Enemy threat level is evaluated as 2Spooky, all caution must be exercised. Positions of enemies are unknown, although it is likely that the humans are in the servants quarters. The least threatening enemies are the human thralls, who are likely to have very low amounts of initiative but may be abnormally strong or accurate and are possibly armed. The most threatening enemy is Count Vulkodlak, who is likely to be impossible to kill without staking the heart or removing the head, will take a huge amount of damage before going down and will have a variety of supernatural powers including but not limited to super speed, super strength, super senses, wildshape (bat), enthralling members of our team and tax evasion. The female vampires are likely to be less strong because this is the Victorian era. They will also be skimpily clad in all likelihood, making them easier to damage. Likely enemy courses of action include monologuing, listening to the children of the night and killing us all stone dead.

:five:

quote:

Our forces consist of ten highly motivated/stupid humans and a variable number of cute dogs.

What are the over/under odds of dogs being small, but vicious?

Voting Operation Twilight, especially if I Nerimantas "Stug" "The Monitor" Pakirkšnutis can get the heavy cavalry sword.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

WrightOfWay posted:

Good. Better than any blocking detachment! :commissar:

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Burning the house down with Miss Shinano inside may not be the best way to save her life.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

It's the best way to save her virtue!:derp:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Voting Operation Twilight.

Edit: vote rescinded

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 28, 2018

JcDent
May 13, 2013

By popular demand posted:

Immortal soul don't burn unless in hell and I'm sure the miss lead a chaste and virtuous life!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

JcDent posted:

That depends on how many sets of d10 rats on a stick we can scrounge up.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

JcDent posted:

Very low, since these are Medium-sized Dogs.

By popular demand posted:

No honour killings please.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

JcDent posted:

Continuing to own property after you're dead is in direct contravention of inheritance tax law in all jurisdictions.

quote:

Voting Operation Twilight, especially if I Nerimantas "Stug" "The Monitor" Pakirkšnutis can get the heavy cavalry sword.
Excellent, another Sharpe fan. I'm not totally sure if they're the best weapons for this scenario but if you're offering them there's no way I'm not taking them. Do you know what you want for your other personal arms?

LatwPIAT posted:

No honour killings please.
It's not an honour killing if we're doing it to save our own skins! Nothing honourable about that, therefore we're allowed.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
The mission is to save me, not save my soul, you morons! :mad:

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
Partly because I believe in honoring the weirdly specific wishes of the disappeared, and partly because I had some half-jest, half-serious input that was incorporated, I'm changing my vote to Contingency Plan Castlevania.

Contingency contingency: remember that the Maxim barrel is filled with water. If you absolutely must, one of the gunners may suddenly find the light of religion and bless the cooling jacket and its contents.

Also, a suggestion: keep a bottle of holy water in reserve. If there's any doubt as to Cartwash's identity when we find her, empty it over her head. Either she'll be very annoyed (which is good--annoyance leads to anger, anger leads to bloodthirst, and bloodthirst leads to more dakka), or it's a soon-to-be-ex-undead.

bibliosabreur fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 28, 2018

JcDent
May 13, 2013

FrangibleCover posted:

Excellent, another Sharpe fan. I'm not totally sure if they're the best weapons for this scenario but if you're offering them there's no way I'm not taking them. Do you know what you want for your other personal arms?

A Webley, of course, the true pistol of a gentleman. And whatever else the Sharpe-sword-having class requires of me.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Plan castlevania for me.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Plan Castlevania if onlookers have a say. The other plan completely lacks any opportunities to drop Maxim gun related one liners.

p.s. Why no dog with the Sylpha team?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

bibliosabreur posted:

Contingency contingency: remember that the Maxim barrel is filled with water. If you absolutely must, one of the gunners may suddenly find the light of religion and bless the cooling jacket and its contents.

What if you run out of water and one of the gunners has to pee in the jacket?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

habituallyred posted:

Plan Castlevania if onlookers have a say. The other plan completely lacks any opportunities to drop Maxim gun related one liners.

p.s. Why no dog with the Sylpha team?

Not enough Special Equipment points. It's 2 for the Maxim, and one-for-one for holy water and dogs.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Yep, reading comprehension. One point per dog. I fear our maxim team will be flanked by wolves or hopping vampires.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm changing my vote to Plan Castlevania because it uses the Maxim Gun.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

habituallyred posted:

Yep, reading comprehension. One point per dog. I fear our maxim team will be flanked by wolves or hopping vampires.
That's why I brought a doggy with the static element in Twilight. I don't expect it to survive but I expect it to die slowly enough to allow them to turn the Winchesters on the vamp or take the better part of valour.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

habituallyred posted:

That's why it's a two-person team, and they have shotguns.

Also I just realized that the person that team is named after is Sypha Belnades, no L. Curses!

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

Also I just realized that the person that team is named after is Sypha Belnades, no L. Curses!

Such things happen when you scribble down contingency plans in case of your own capture.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017

chitoryu12 posted:

What if you run out of water and one of the gunners has to pee in the jacket?

That wasn't quite what I was thinking of by "bless", but I suppose if one of them is ordained (self- or otherwise)...

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Please have final votes in by 19:00 UTC 02 SEP 2018!

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Whoops, we're voting? Alright, I vote for my plan because it is my plan and because I worry about the Maxim if it's caught moving.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
These plans include a lot of text, but, if I may: I vote for whichever plan splits up the squad into the most parts. Poor vampires are starving, they need to be fed tonight.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Look, we'll cover more ground that way when our soft bodies are ripped into fleshy giblets and scattered across the floor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Uh. Plan Twilight

It's overly detailed and has no contingency plan chance of failure.

• Locked thread