Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

owns

for reference

https://racer.com/2019/01/03/riley-motorsports-honors-wynns-with-throwback-livery/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

They even put gold wheels on it! Be still my heart. Bill Riley owns.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

LEIGH DIFFEY IS BACK IN MY SPORTSCARS :whatup:

https://twitter.com/leighdiffey/status/1080968875649454080

http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2019/01/03/leigh-diffey-a-j-allmendinger-calvin-fish-lead-nbc-sports-2019-imsa-commentator-team/

Given the length of the Rolex 24 coverage, you'd think there will be two booth crews and two sets of pit reporters, so maybe Greg Creamer/Tommy Kendall/Hobbo on the B-team and then anybody who did IMSA last year but isn't tied to FOX like Justin Bell or Brian Till? I just want Hobbo again. :getin:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 4, 2019

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Oh my goodness I totally forgot about that car

Gorgeous

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
The retro wheels really put the bow on it imo

E: I didn't realize you could run wheels beyond what's homologated

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Dead-rear end sexy. Good lord.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

That is A Good Racecar.

Unrelated, NBC picked up Supercross. Ralph Sheheen and Ricky Carmichael lead the coverage: http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2...AtypEHGyJx-MRAg

NBC now has NASCAR, IndyCar, IMSA, Supercross, and some of their random cavalcade of pre-recorded random racing. They've got quite the racing collection.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

CBJSprague24 posted:

That is A Good Racecar.

Unrelated, NBC picked up Supercross. Ralph Sheheen and Ricky Carmichael lead the coverage: http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2...AtypEHGyJx-MRAg

NBC now has NASCAR, IndyCar, IMSA, Supercross, and some of their random cavalcade of pre-recorded random racing. They've got quite the racing collection.

Don't worry they'll make you subscribe to a streaming service to watch it all.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioQuM2TQbV0

Basticle posted:

Don't worry they'll make you subscribe to a streaming service to watch it all.

…which would be worth it, provided I can get all of it with one streaming service.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Mazda topped session 1 at the roar with the best time of the day, also put up best trap speeds both sessions.

Session 1: 77, 10, 55
Session 2: 10, 77, 55

Mazda looking strong early on, please don't pull a Mazda, Mazda.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Mazda topped session 1 at the roar with the best time of the day, also put up best trap speeds both sessions.

Mazda was really fast last year during the Roar too, so :shrug:

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHK-RWmqO8A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et6xh3QIvbA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFmkBTZf_K8

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I think Juncos is an early leader for best prototype livery so far. The darkened 77 Mazda looks good too.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Got my ticket for Daytona, it'll be my first time going and also my first endurance race and first IMSA race so it should be an exciting time. Anyone ITT gone before and have good tips?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

net work error posted:

Got my ticket for Daytona, it'll be my first time going and also my first endurance race and first IMSA race so it should be an exciting time. Anyone ITT gone before and have good tips?

Yep, went in 2016 and going again this year. Bring a warm jacket, it gets cold at night and it might rain. You’ll definitely want eat protection; ear plugs are fine but if you have ear defenders those are better. You might want a scanner too so you can listen to the commentary (either IMSA radio or NBC) or the teams. A spare battery is probably useful to charge your phone. Comfortable shoes are probably wise, and you might want a change of clothes if you’re going to stay up all night and watch the race.

Riding the ferris wheel is pretty cool, particularly at night.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Also Tincknell posted the fastest time again this morning. Watch them get smacked down in a pre-race BoP adjustment while everyone else is sandbagging and then end up disadvantaged in the actual race

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

net work error posted:

Seconding bring a jacket, I went to both the roar and the 24 in 2017 (with work) and got lucky that I'd brought a coat at all. I would have probably frozen to death at the roar without one.

If you can, take a trip as high into the stands as you can once it's dark and just enjoy the view for a while. As a brit especially I found just the size of the speedway overwhelming.

I'm not sure how garage access works for the public, but absolutely get it if you enjoy looking at cars or seeing mechanics work. Mind your back if you're nosing around somewhere the mechanics are trying to get in and out of. :shobon:

If you're there early enough, do the fun run/walk. I think the run does a full lap but I did the walk because I can't run, and you walk most of the back stretch, through the bus stop and around nascar 3 & 4 and out to the tri-oval. If you're near the front you can clamber up the banking and peer over the wall before the fun police arrive and call you down. It's steep, to the point I was worried about rolling an ankle or tripping and losing all my front teeth trying to get back down.

jammyozzy fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 5, 2019

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

net work error posted:

Earpro, earpro, earpro. You will need this 100% if you go down to the infield. Daytona is the loudest track that IMSA races at thanks to being a speedway (it's constantly at 120dB+ from the pace lap through the next day, and anything above 85 dB will permanently damage hearing after 1 hour). Buy some mickey mouses like these

https://www.amazon.com/d/Hearing-Protections/Professional-Safety-Decibel-Defense-PROTECTION-GUARANTEED/B01BEENYCQ

and you will be mostly ok. Have a set of foamies just in case the earmuffs are not enough to be comfortable. Really you should have double hearing protection if you're staying the duration, but a lot of people rock just earmuffs and deal with the tinnitus.

There are also ear protection muffs that are compatible with Bluetooth and stuff so you can listen to the announcers or whatever while having ear protection.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 5, 2019

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Yeah I bought a pair of the ear muffs with FM radio to hear the TV broadcast. Thanks for all the info everyone. I am going to go out on a limb and say Mazda will do well solely because I think it's the best looking DPi.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/jordan10taylor/status/1081668773017501696

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I hope Fernando is wearing Jordan's shoes

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Fernando Sandstorm

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Really wanted to interview Rodney at PLM last year but wasn’t able to make it happen. I think that should be doable at Daytona later this month though.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

It seems pretty certain that they will break the all time lap record in quals this year. Yeah, the GTP record. They weren't too far off before, but the Michelin rubber is going to put them over the top.

All time track record is P.J. Jones in the 1993 AAR Toyota Eagle Mk III at 1:33.875. Bomarito in the Mazda and RVZ in the #10 Caddy set near identical 1:34.534's in practice (surely not being very careful not to show too much of their hands, no no), and they will easily pick that much speed up in quals. Thats gotta be one of the oldest track records in the world for a track with active pro events.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

It seems pretty certain that they will break the all time lap record in quals this year. Yeah, the GTP record. They weren't too far off before, but the Michelin rubber is going to put them over the top.

All time track record is P.J. Jones in the 1993 AAR Toyota Eagle Mk III at 1:33.875. Bomarito in the Mazda and RVZ in the #10 Caddy set near identical 1:34.534's in practice (surely not being very careful not to show too much of their hands, no no), and they will easily pick that much speed up in quals. Thats gotta be one of the oldest track records in the world for a track with active pro events.

Last year's pole time was 1:36.083, so they've already picked up a second and a half. There's still seven tenths to go. It could happen (possibly from Fernando doing his alien thing in the 10 Cadillac) but that's a lot over a 90-second lap to continue to pick up, knowing BOP is also in play.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

harperdc posted:

Last year's pole time was 1:36.083, so they've already picked up a second and a half. There's still seven tenths to go. It could happen (possibly from Fernando doing his alien thing in the 10 Cadillac) but that's a lot over a 90-second lap to continue to pick up, knowing BOP is also in play.

Bomarito set his speed on his 13th lap so it's not like he was running light with fuel at the time. Don't forget that the teams are going to have the rest of the month to keep finding performance as well.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I really hope it happens, hopefully BoP doesn't get in the way of it.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

We're down to 1:34.224 courtesy of Harry Tincknell this morning...

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1046034132102837&id=124010060971920

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Those Mazdas look fast

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

DoctorGonzo posted:

Those Mazdas look fast

Ollie Jarvis just took the Roar with 1:33.398

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

an oddly awful oud posted:

Ollie Jarvis just took the Roar with 1:33.398

Jesus loving christ :stare:

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Misc Auto Racing 2019: Mazda gonna break 26-year old lap records

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

an oddly awful oud posted:

Misc Auto Racing 2019: Mazda gonna break 26-year old lap records

I agree, it is time for a new thread!

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol if suddenly the mazdas are the car to beat and alonso doesnt win WEC

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

DoctorGonzo posted:

lol if suddenly the mazdas are the car to beat and alonso doesnt win WEC

Those aren’t connected, Mazda is part of IMSA which is only a regional series. Alonso is taking part in the 24 Hours of Daytona to join with a team for the endurance race because you need 3-4 drivers to share the effort, plus it’s a marquee race.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thanks for the heads up.

question: there will be ferraris at daytona?

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

DoctorGonzo posted:

thanks for the heads up.

question: there will be ferraris at daytona?

Yes there will be in the GT classes.

iospace posted:

I agree, it is time for a new thread!

I'll work on a new thread tomorrow unless anyone wants to take control of the thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqARqqkxcTo

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I would very much appreciate if the OP could give a bit of an overview and explanation of different sports car series and different classes since even as a casual fan I find it all awfully confusing sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Basticle posted:

I would very much appreciate if the OP could give a bit of an overview and explanation of different sports car series and different classes since even as a casual fan I find it all awfully confusing sometimes.

Sports Car Racing: Confusion is a feature, not a bug!

I’ll do a write-up today/tonight.