Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

Human Grand Prix posted:

The RT24-P did respectably, but it's still the slowest of the DPis.

It was more or less equivalent to the Nissans and Acuras besides Dane Cameron's mega lap toward the end. If they're not competitive this year, it shouldn't be due to lack of pace (see also: 2016 season with the old Lola and the AER 2.0T, where the cars were extremely quick but they still never won)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Does anyone know if BAR1 finally got their update package from Multimatic?

Also, the Mazdas got an increase in boost across most of the rev range, and a higher redline in the post-roar BoP. They could be pretty speedy come Thursday. I'm gonna keep a watchful eye on the timing site.

e: will prototype cars 2, 22, 23, 32, 52, 54, 85, and 90 please report to the stewards for improper Le Mans Prototype livery colors. Allowable major colors are as follows:
- Red
- White
- Black

I think the Mazdas actually lost some boost at the top and bottom end in exchange for a higher redline (meaning wider mid range to work with) and a big weight reduction. It should be an overall improvement but there were some unspecified aero changes as well that may be significant

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

What is BMW even doing. All of their latest racecars are depressing attempts to graft their motorsports heritage onto product that was never conceived for it and resists it at every turn. Most of racing is marketing anyway but BMW makes the cynicism of it all utterly transparent in their quest to sell ///M merchandise to accountants and optometrists who want people to ascribe the energy and bravado of sports cars to them without the inconvenience of any of actual sport in their cars

Anyway, speaking of BMW, Ashley Freiberg finally got a ride in the Continental Tire Sportscar Challenge again, this time behind the wheel of an R8 GT4 alongside Gosia Rdest. In honor of the two women drivers, the livery incorporates the old Audi Sport colors in the style of Michele Mouton's ur-Quattro. Cool as hell.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

orange juche posted:

Mechanical gremlins kept both them from running on the pace, and in the case of #70 it didn't even leave the garage.

I think the #22 Nissan did go out but crashed and had to retire from qualifying. The #77 Mazda definitely did not go out, apparently the team saw some telemetry during practice 2 that made them bring it into the garage yet again.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

drgitlin posted:

I had to turn down an invite to go this year, which made me sad but at the same time I’ve been traveling every week this month and am away next week too. That one will be of interest, I’m going to Charlotte to take a look at the technology behind NASCAR.

A piece on the Rolex 24 might be delayed because we’re having people over all day on Sunday so I don’t know when I’m going to watch the end of the race. :(

Also working on lining up a feature about the Mazda DPi; trying to see if they’ll let me drive the simulator in Canada...

You should've just bought SpeedSource's amazing simulator at the auction a month ago

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

That was a pretty disappointing 24 overall, there was more dumb poo poo happening actual good moments. Constant tire problems in the right rear that nobody can figure out, Cadillacs still fast enough to go 1-2 despite their engines trying to self-destruct, only half the GTLM cars were competitive and the Fords were clearly way better than anyone else, Land drawing that huge penalty, both Nissans going from strong at the end of last year to double DNFs, no yellow flags to offset the shaky early BoP, Mazda going to all the trouble of the Joest partnership to end up exactly where they started, Juan Pablo trying to punt GTD cars off the track again...

I know Daytona is an aberration of a track and doesn't always forecast the whole season, but I hope things get a lot more interesting than this at Sebring and beyond.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

harperdc posted:

that was the first race for the new BMW, give them some credit. and it's not the same case as the Acura LMPs, it's much harder -- DPi is the case where the only big "differences" from global P2 to the specific DPi were engine (which has been run before and well established) and some aero bits (to make it look like the brand but not really have a major impact). The chassis and such has already been sorted.

There's no reason not to give the BMWs credit for the reliability of the cars, which was impressive for a first time outing, but they already got a poo poo ton of favorable BoP adjustments after the Roar and they still were way off the pace. It comes out in the wash anyway, just like how the M6 GTLM was kind of crappy for a long time but eventually got so many breaks that it became competitive at the end of last year, but it's a bad look for a manufacturer to show up with a brand new car that is a non-entity in the actual race. You want your hot new global race car to come out, look stupidly fast, and eventually get knocked back down to earth by BoP adjustments- but hopefully not before winning a few races.

Anyway I think the Fords will look a lot closer to the rest of the field at Sebring and beyond. The GT was built to win at Le Mans and those strengths play particularly well at Daytona.

No doubt Penske is going to be competitive this year. Not that anyone expected any less, but they showed up fully formed and ready to fight. JPM needs to get a loving grip though and respect the GTD traffic or he's going to end up undermining his team through penalties, or worse.

Joest Mazda was really just embarrassing. I still can't believe they overhauled the whole car and program and ended up with the archetypal contemporary Mazda endurance race performance: one car on fire, the other limping along until it goes into the garage for good, and punctuated with horrible pit lane mistakes along the way. I doubt the Riley-Multimatic chassis is going anywhere before the 2022 FIA LMP2 regulations are written, but if I'm running that program, I'm already starting the preliminaries on finding a new engine partner for next year or begging the mothership to do a feasibility study on building a race engine in-house. Even if they somehow manage to find a way to get the AER 2.0T to deliver the performance they ask of it with acceptable reliability this year, how much more can you ask of it the next year when all the competition ups their games again?

an oddly awful oud fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 30, 2018

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I have to go through my shots to see if I actually took anything good. I was walking to go get breakfast when that happened, lucky timing.

mazdafandom.jpg

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

So it turns out that Land Motorsport drew that insane 5-minute stop & hold penalty because they figured out how to arrange the fuel tank ballast in such a way as to reduce turbulence in the fuel tank, allowing them to fuel faster than the competition. There is no regulation about how the fuel tank ballast is set up, and all the regulated parts like the fuel tank restrictor were still in spec. It was a bit of clever Smokey Yunick engineering, violating the spirit of the BoP rules without actually violating the letter. Which makes IMSA's decision to end their race with that penalty even more questionable:

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/147156-pruett-the-strange-land-motorsport-penalty

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

It's logical for the WEC to do this in terms of desperation to keep eyes on the series, but it's going to piss off a lot of the other teams that show up to race. They're so desperate to avoid alienating Toyota that they're going to alienate several other drivers and teams instead, which may not be as instantly disastrous, but is still terrible for the long-term health of the WEC. I know a lot of teams still have their grievances with IMSA but the FIA-ACO seems to go out of its way to piss people off and that's not going to entice teams to stick around.

I guess there must be enough fans who think differently but I personally could not give any less of a poo poo about Alonso at Fuji. Toyota hiring F1 talent to beat up on a bunch of privateers between sitting red-flagged for rain is not my idea of an especially interesting race.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Even in more recent racing Katherine Legge goes full kamikaze when pissed off so in conclusion, motorsport is a land of contrasts

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Time for everybody to set their watches, the #55 Mazda DPi caught fire during the Sebring test today

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

drgitlin posted:

There is a feature in this month’s Racecar Engineering about the Mazda, details some of the reasons why last year’s car was so terrible. Sounds like a moron laid out the radiators and cooling systems and Joest had to unfuck a lot of that, plus the rear suspension.

The extreme crapluence of the Riley is well-known issue at this point, the problem is that the car has shown improved pace but no improved reliability so far for all the work that has gone into it. It's starting to look like a McLaren-Honda situation with the Riley and AER motor, where you have a lousy powerplant made far worse by terrible packaging.

What can Mazda even do about it? They said they want to race what they sell, so that rules out buying a racing V8 from whomever. So they go with 4 cylinders and a turbo, but they're up against V8s by ECR and Gibson and turbo V6s by Nissan and Acura, so all can you do is turn up the boost further and further and that's like bringing a knife to a swordfight and trying to compensate by welding increasingly longer pieces of metal to the sharp end. It's not like dropping a rotary in would help either if the engine thermal management is already that questionable, given how hot rotaries run. Not to mention it would disqualify them from going back to Le Mans in a future DPi-LMP2 harmonization assuming the rotary ban wasn't rescinded.

Probably the best case scenario would be Hiroshima developing an all new, larger-displacement turbo 4 for use in the prototype and upcoming Mazda3 TCR car, but that's a pipe dream.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Schlesische posted:

There was a rotary ban? Under ACO rules?

There was a stupid engine rule (3.5L F1 engines or something equally stupid) that was in place at the time the 787B, but which wasn't going to be strictly enforced until the next year as there weren't enough cars of that spec. As a result of those specific engine regs there was a Rotary ban, but it didn't stick and there's no current rotary ban afaik.

Flipside: rotaries are kinda super garbage in endurance racing.

I'm not aware of an IMSA ban, but I mean IMSA did and does a lot of really dumb poo poo.

Interesting, I haven't actually read the ACO engine regs lately but I'd always heard the rotary was banned after '91 and took it as gospel.

And of course the rotary probably isn't an actual improvement over a turbo 4, but if you're going to lose literally all the time, you may as well do it while making a hilariously loud and antisocial buzzsaw noise and shooting flame

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Must've been giving away extra cans of paint when Audi Sport closed their program

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

iospace posted:

Worked for Aston Martin at Le Mans last year

It worked for the M6 GTLM, this is just history repeating itself

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

I don't think pace is going to be the issue for the Mazdas this year, it's going to be maintaining their pace for 12 hours without blowing the engine up

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

That end for Mazda was heartbreaking but holy poo poo have they improved this program in just one race. They took advantage of their competitors' misfortunes in some cases but that looked like a competent race team at pretty much every turn

Also I want to publicly apologize to Harry Tincknell about thinking he was a dumb hire, the guy is a beast and gently caress the FIA for making him go to Fuji instead of PLM

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

if they manage to balance the Toyota and the rest of the LMP1 field it will be a drat miracle

what's their intention, just let the TS050 pull on everyone coming out of the corners with its hybrid system and then hope the non-hybrids are fast enough in the straights to run it down?

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

do this with all the LMP1Hs imo

someone get the R18 out of mothballs

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

the speed of the 919 Evo is breathtaking and it's a major accomplishment, but I can't see that record standing after this year's F1 qualifying. those cars are definitely going to find a second over last year

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Another processional Long Beach, like the soup course in the middle of the season-long banquet. Bring on Mid-Ohio already

It's really starting to look like the Acuras are hard on their tires, they seem to be really racy at the beginning of every stint so far this year and then 20 laps later, they're losing ground to the Cadillacs and Mazdas in a big way

I'm sure they're going to win a race at some point but the Cadillac is still the package to beat when it's not cooking its own motor

Also the DPis are all still clearly better than the P2s, time for another round of horsepower reductions

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

I think the big problem with DPis at the street circuits is that dampers are an open development item for DPi and spec homologation for P2, which gives then a fairly significant advantage over the P2s on bumpy circuits like Sebring, Long Beach, and Detroit

That is a fantastic point. The two specs seemed a lot closer at Daytona than they have since

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Cooper MacNeil is the racing equivalent of those teenage girls whose wealthy fathers pay obscene amounts of money to music producers to transform their mediocre singing into a full-blown vanity album

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

I'm gonna be at Mid-Ohio on Saturday and Sunday, hopefully dodging the rain slated for Friday. Otherwise the weekend should be nice, with a chance for late-race CHAOS:

Rain makes for entertainment but thunderstorms on race day are hateful, getting the black flag for lightning in a timed race is just pure poo poo

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

In racing news in which the winner isn't a foregone conclusion, Acura Penske swept the front row at Mid-Ohio qualifying today and Mazda Joest swept the second row

We may actually see one of these teams finally score a win tomorrow, probably Penske but the Acuras may eat their tires too quickly and fall off the pace late in the stint, so I'm hyped

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

I wonder if there's going to be any controversy over Pipo Derani and Colin Braun not giving way for JPM and Oliver Jarvis on their charges toward the front. No question they both got checked up badly by lapped cars while trying to catch the #7

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

drgitlin posted:

If anyone has questions for Roger Penske or Art St Cyr about the DPi program, post them in this thread and I’ll see about asking them at Belle Isle in a couple of weeks.

Why is your car so loving ugly

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

SPM in IndyCar just fired Leena Gade, so it looks like she'll be a free agent just in time for WEC teams preparing for Le Mans

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Xisticide posted:

Someone at Porsche remembered that they used to have awesome liveries :

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/porsche-reveals-retro-gte-pro-liveries

Finally an actual reason to watch Le Mans this year.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

The 55 snapping a driveshaft was a real bummer but I can't be too upset about the way the 77 went down. The car obviously didn't have the pace to frontrun so trying to do one less pit stop was about the only legitimate way to have any chance of contention at the end. It went down in flames but it was at least a strategy of some kind. At least somebody competent is in charge of the team, which is a big change from the last couple years

Anyway, the race wasn't especially interesting but it's still better than Monaco. Bring on Watkins Glen and the NAEC teams

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Without roadgoing homologation specials, I don't see much to be excited about when it comes to prototypes that look like road cars. It's just making aerodynamics less effective in most cases. I guess that's the point, so you don't need a wind tunnel every step of the way to be competitive, but it's not exactly a cause for celebration in and of itself

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

The WEC is more expensive on a support/logistics side than IMSA since they travel much further, but even throwing that out with the exception of going to Le Mans once per year, it'll still probably be too much for half the teams. Cadillac is probably willing to spend big, and if they build something suitable to race in the WEC, then why not race there instead? Their primary market is Asia anyway so winning big in places like Shanghai and Bahrain suits them well. Acura is in a weird place where they exist pretty much everywhere but Europe, but they'd probably be willing to spend money to go into the WEC as well if they're going to have to spend that much more for North America alone. Mazda almost certainly can't afford to spend even more money on their prototype program unless Joest starts winning races and raising their profile enough to get Hiroshima directly involved, and Nissan Motorsports is nearly an oxymoron at this point and they'd probably make ESM pick up the tab for a more expensive program.

IMSA really has nothing to gain right by now adopting this proposed LMP1 regulation. They'd more likely lose teams than gain them.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

This was a Le Mans to forget

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Wirth1000 posted:

Congratulations, Toyota.

And now for their lawyers to get to work and figure out how to get out of appearing at the next Le Mans without it becoming a breach of contract.

I kinda hope this happens because gently caress the ACO

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Just nullify all this year's Le Mans results and force them to run the race again. This time use a giant roulette wheel to determine who gets the obvious and blatant BoP advantage. Make the Pink Pig coat their steering wheel with bacon grease. Lash Chip Ganassi to the Ferris wheel. Force the hybrids to stop and plug in to a wall socket every 15 laps and make Alonso wear a helmet with a bunch of dicks pointing at his face design. Make Cooper MacNeil turn laps with Ted DiBiase riding shotgun

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

As usual, VW really does not gently caress around when it comes to motorsport. I wish they weren't honest-to-god evil bureaucrats of the worst Teutonic stereotype and were instead people you could actually feel good about rooting for

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Going to be 95 loving degrees at Watkins Glen this Sunday. I wonder if the Cadillacs fixed their cooling system issues from Daytona yet

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Holy poo poo that thing jumps to hyperspace out of corners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Well that was a really great race in really oppressive heat. I can't believe Dane Cameron did a triple stint, even early in the day before it started to feel like the surface of the sun

It was pretty wild to see the LMP2 cars as the main contenders, other than the #6 Acura every other DPi seemed to struggle with either pace likely from engine temp management (Cadillac), utter engine failure (Nissan), or boneheaded pit lane mistakes possibly from heat stroke (Mazda)

GTLM was also awesome, not sure what the problem with the M8s was all of a sudden but the rest were very evenly matched all race long

Nice to see Turner win in GTD, grats to Katherine Legge and Alvaro Parente for another awesome drive, I don't know what happened to Wright at the end after they were doing really well for once, and I can't wait to read the postmortem on the Land penalty because that's going to go down as either an epic petulant meltdown over their own fuckup or an epic bad call by the stewards if they actually did make it into the pits before they closed