Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Humbug posted:

Footage from the first stage where everyone hosed up yesterday. Who would have known slicks on ice is pretty slippery.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQfitw_C7Co

You know its good when the guys pushing the car out are slipping on the road

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I normally head out to watch the race on the Sunday but I don't have time to do it this year so I'll have to make do with the live stream instead. The commentary at the track is the same as the stream anyways but it's always a good day out for me with my Dad and brother.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
And if you’re in Australia or NZ the nismo stream tomorrow is geoblocked and I don’t know what other options there are outside of watching it on tv

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I think 7’s online streaming is doing it cause the top 10 shootout is currently streaming on it

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
There’s a much smaller diversity of cars in the race this year which is a shame really. It’s nice to see the Audi’s are performing as usual by smacking into things

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
And the Bentley has blown itself apart in the chase.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
The Daytona cars are pretty tops but seem to spend more time in the pits than they do racing every year.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
loving Mostert. oval office bag of the century

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Bentley is back out even if it’s not in contention anymore.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Will whincup whincup?

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Is the race finished or are they gonna clear up then restart?

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
It’s gonna take them ages to clean the mess up but still a disappointing end all up.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
You could hear the first part of the crash happening on tv when the car in front went through but it’s hard to know if race control saw it before the merc arrived on the scene

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
There possibly is. The bloke in the Audi took longer to get out of the car but they all walked afterwards. I think at least one guy was chucked in the ambulance to head back down.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
That’s a huge fuckup and not what I’ve seen from heading to the race previously. It’s normally a crew of 3 with one having the radio hooked up telling the others to wave flags. Must’ve been the radio guy who was awol which is hosed

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
And the fallout continues:
https://www.speedcafe.com/2018/02/06/drivers-call-improved-safety-mt-panorama/

Basically the drivers want better safety across the top but CAMS have said that everything is fine and no-one did anything wrong in the poo poo show crash. Both drivers thankful they where in Euro left hand drive cars. I saw both of the strakka AMG's heading toward Sydney this afternoon just on a normal semi rather than a semi or anything else. Seems odd that they wouldn't bother putting them on a special transport truck for their ride back to the port or airport to head back home.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

You Am I posted:

Holy poo poo how many ads is that website clocking up? My ad blocker hit 273 then gave up rendering the site.

That was a pretty crappy decision from CAMS

Mine hit 14 then stopped. They're about the only website to get that sort of info about Australian racing from and I only use it around 12hr time. Apparently next year Aston Martin is sending 2 cars for a factory backed effort. Should help things up cause I'm sure bentley will come back every year until they stop GT3 racing.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Dudley posted:

Then there were yellow flags and a driver should be kicked out of racing.

Of course we know this to be a lie so they'll do jack poo poo and wait for someone else to die.

Bathurst is pretty much Australian racing’s only great track and one CAMS would do just about anything to hold onto along with the cops who park at the top to bust speeders when races aren’t on. The entire top half of the track is unsighted in a road car cause of the walls so I’d hate to think how much less you see in a race car where you pretty much sit on the floor and are below the top of the wall. Surely they’ll have to do something to improve safety but at the same time the blokes doing sandtrap duties are the blokes from the local council with the mowers pulled off the tractors so the funds would need to be external.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
In Australia the bulk of any daytime running happens while we are asleep as the race starts at like 10pm. You get some daytime running the following day but once again only if you’re prepared to stay up way late to watch it go down. We do get access to nismo tv streams though so it’s not all bad.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

tuo posted:

Whenever a new F1 season starts, it's always the same for me: I feel like a giant idiot fan (which I am, but mostly of WEC and DTM) for staying up super late to catch each and every free practise plus quali plus race (in australia and asia), only to realize that basically most of the rest of the world has to do the same for the majority of the season. It adds some kind of race-watching-nerd-rank (like at least +1) over here and makes the first races feel a bit special, watching them super tired, trying to stay awake while basically nothing happens.

Its actually easier for me to watch the endurance races around the world than it is to watch anything else. Supercars and F1 have very few races to watch unless you want to pay for foxtel and I refuse to give money to the company so I miss out. Anything 24hr based is easy as to access because the only time geoblocking comes in is while the 12hr race at Bathurst is on. Used to be that it'd be locked off forever but it's now available the day after the race which is good.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
The mere seems to still be doing alright though.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
#4 seems to be rather tail happy during the onboard shots at the moment

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I'm hoping the porsche team comes back to Bathurst next year cause I'm gonna make sure I head out for that after I missed it this year.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
The only time Nismo tv doesn’t work for me is during the Bathurst 12hr but I think that changed this year. Le Mans is a pain in the dick to watch in Australia but at least I can watch most of the other big enduro races

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I swear as a kid it used to start earlier in the day and take far longer to finish. I still prefer the 12 hr race but that’s not on till the start of next year so I’ll have to keep an eye on tickets

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

You Am I posted:

It did start earlier, but with the Supercars being faster than their earlier Group A and C versions, means they can shorten the race time.

Also gently caress Jamie Whingecup.

Whingecup is a dick in the 12hr race as well but I like heading out to it cause with the smaller crowd things tend to be more access all areas like there’s no extra price ticket option unless you want to sit in the grandstands.
I used to enjoy the all day 1000k effort whereas these days it all done and dusted a little too quickly with a lack of big shunts

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I’d say fairly high tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
They released the calender for supercars for next year. Biggest change is that bathurst is now the start of the enduro portion of the series which could be interesting to watch. I'm predicting a whole pile of meltdowns from the fans in the coming weeks.