Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

By the grace of God and 600 horsepower
In non-ARCA news, Ryan Preece took this ride over the fence at Bronson Speedway today:

https://twitter.com/speed51dotcom/status/962460504521433088

He's ok but will need to prep his backup car for the New Smyrna World Series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/NickBromberg/status/972965979734134784

@NickBromberg: A+ troll, Kevin Harvick https://t.co/oLJRyG06vt

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

http://speed51.com/oswego-nascar-modified-tour-race-to-pay-12000-to-winner/

This plus the huge payout increase for the rest of the races this season is awesome to see. With other high paying races like the Tri Track series and fairly healthy car counts in the Whelen Tour and MRS races, the Mods seem to be doing pretty well considering how much a lot of short track racing seems to be struggling right now.

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

All-Star race rules have been released:

https://twitter.com/jeff_gluck/status/984201339692462080?s=20

Basically they're running last years Indy Xfinity aero package

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

Hopefully this is just a quick passing shower, because this has been a great race.

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

Some sad news, James Hylton and his son were killed in a car accident leaving Talladega yesterday:
https://sports.yahoo.com/nascar-driver-james-hylton-dies-highway-accident-180757904.html

SwampYankee fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 28, 2018

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

gently caress YEAH SRA

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

Hats are for chumps, gimme the race win 1:24 diecast

I would 100% buy that

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Not a great race. Whatever changes Nascar made them do for this race was a bad idea. Who wants to see single file racing at Talladega?

It's nothing really new, it's been a game of "ride single file and don't make a move until the last lap" for a while now, even though it never works anymore. The rules package isn't too terrible, both today and at Daytona the racing was fun to watch when the drivers felt like going for it. They might need a bigger spoiler though, seemed like everyone was a little on edge.

I still think they should bring back the roof blade and open the plates up.

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

WindyMan posted:

Make NASCAR modifieds the top division

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

WindyMan posted:

NASCAR needs to give its regional series a lot more prominence and coverage, so that more known drivers come in at the bottom. Make triple-header weekends exclusively for K&N and Trucks and Xfinity, or do more K&N/Cup weekends like at Sonoma. Make the fans and television viewers and streaming audiences get to know these kids so there's at least name recognition if and when they make it to Trucks.

I had a big ol' rant in the Discord about what it would take for me, A Racing Enthusiast in Los Angeles, to make it out for a Cup race in Fontana. These days it needs to be the same reason why I'd go to Irwindale or Ventura or Long Beach for the GP: Give me lots and lots of racing to watch. One Cup race isn't going to cut it anymore; I'd like to see Xfinity run same day and maybe throw in a few SST races while you're at it. But even then I'd prefer to go to Irwindale first.

This is one area where Loudon does well. Their one Cup weekend this year also has K&N East, 2 Modified races, and Xfinity. The downside is NHMS usually produces dogshit races (aside from the mods, which are awesome there).

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

I think it looks ok, but the Supra is an odd fit for a stock car body.

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

NASCAR: where putting a driver into the wall is perfectly acceptable and safe, but dropping two wheels on the apron is dangerous.

I get that he did break the rule, but when you're allowing drivers to knock each other around while running under rules that force as many cars into a small space at 200mph as possible, you can't go claiming "it's all in the name of safety" without looking foolish. I can see it early in the race, when you might have slow cars down there, but coming off of 4 on the last lap it should be allowed.

Also, Jeff Burton's "cars on the apron cause huge crazy wrecks" defense is crap. I'd argue that drivers holding their line because they're afraid to go down there and get penalized is a bigger cause.

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

big nipples big life posted:

Sadler's never getting back into cup so that seat needs to go to someone with a chance of moving up, it's a good move.

My hope is Preece. I remember reading that JGR's Xfinity cars are full for next year, and Jr speaks very highly of his talent.

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

I saw that too. He denied it, but he probably has to until it's officially announced (if it's true).

SwampYankee fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 15, 2018

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

Pretty big shakeup for the mod fans in here:

http://racedayct.com/2018/08/exclusive-rowanpennink-retiring-from-modified-competition/

It's a smart decision if he's having back problems at 33, but I'm pretty bummed. Rowan was an exciting, agressive driver to watch when he had a fast car. It was cool seeing him put the Boehler #3 back in victory lane in last years Icebreaker.

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

iospace posted:

You know, I was legitimately surprised yesterday with both the racers and NASCAR. NASCAR was really hesitant to throw FCYs for minor spins (though to be fair, they have for the other RCs too as of late), and only threw it for a dead car on track, a pile up, and a huge piece of debris on the backstretch. The race itself was much cleaner than I expected.

Really my only complaint with the race itself is that it was too short, which NASCAR is fixing next year according to Steve O'Donnell. My gripe is with NBC's coverage. I'm not usually one to bitch about commercials, and maybe it just seemed worse because the race was so short, but it felt like half the race was commercial breaks or side-by-side coverage.

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

Good race, great finish. Time to turn all 1.5 milers into Rovals

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Did the 96 pull over for Larson?

I think he was just broken from hitting the wall.

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Bye-bye restrictor plates:

https://twitter.com/zack_albert/status/1047181459474337794

...hello tapered spacers, though.

I'm not a fan of running what is essentially the all-star package at all the "downforce" tracks, but that's interesting. I know the speeds will be the same but the increased throttle response and the huge spoiler punching a bigger hole in the air might really shake up the plate races.

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Somebody translate for an idiot when it comes to mechanics: did they take away my cool and good Daytona/Talladega pack racing?

I'm far from being an expert in aerodynamics, but in theory it should be better. More throttle response and a bigger hole in the air should lead to bigger runs in the draft and more ability to pull off a slingshot, but who knows. I'm hoping it's like the roof blade/wicker bill package from the early 2000's.

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

As much as I complained about this version of the chase/playoffs, it does have me totally sucked into the drama of who's going to make it to the final round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

I'm not really a Logano fan, but good for him. That was a decent race all the way through, Homestead is one of the only quality 1.5 milers.