Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I wonder if anyone else is going to figure out "set the car up for 1.5 mile tracks, the rest can be bonus points" thing that Furniture Row did last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

exploded mummy posted:

SRA retired from selling merch

RIP the hats.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Wait.

Wait.

Charlotte road course...

Is at night?

:worship::devil:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

WindyMan posted:

Stages, and the playoffs, were also what allowed the likes of Chase Elliot to come maybe-too-close to seriously competing for the championship.

Just because everything worked out in the end still doesn't mean the current format isn't without its major pitfalls.

That being said, I did watch a lot more NASCAR last year than I did in the years previous. We'll see how things go in 2018.

I think it really helped that it was a fresh face leading the pack this year instead of JimmieBot.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Reynold posted:

I like F1's scoring pylon, and wish all racing series used it. That horizontal scrolling poo poo is weak af.

F1's works because it's a small field. Indy can get away with it, dunno if they could with the 500, though.

NASCAR would have to do the 10 ten and then scroll the "next 10" among the field throughout the race. It could work, but it wouldn't be the same.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

exploded mummy posted:

That's what Fox is doing with their new pylon.

Alright, I haven't had a chance to tune in yet (yesterday we were slammed during the race so I didn't have time to pause and change the channel)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I saw the pictures

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Incoming crosspost:
https://twitter.com/Team_Penske/status/964514731749924864

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:lolplant:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:worship::devil:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

shame on an IGA posted:

Wait was Danica already sideways before she hit anything

Yeah, but I think it was more "trying to get out of the way and got loose". I think she was toast either way.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Danica doesn't seem upset with what happened, which is nice for once.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CBJSprague24 posted:

I didn't see the interview but she's been pretty checked out all week.

She was actually very pleased with the car and the team, and I think she realized "yeah, there was nothing that could be done there"

And then mentioned she is going to be at Indy this year.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:barf:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'll take Bubba 2nd though

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

lamentable dustman posted:

Bubba Wallace kinda rules

Only kinda?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/jeff_gluck/status/965376297378762756

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Feels Villeneuve posted:

how long has austin dillon been in the #3 car now. like holy poo poo i think everyone gets that dale used to drive that number. why is every sports site leading with RIP DALE angles on this race

Dale won 20 years ago so ~narrative~.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns posted:

Dilion still ran him over when he already had a run. He's poo poo.

Bubba in second owns tho

Bubba sniped it at the line and Denny melted down about it, but Bubba is 100% cool and good. I'm fine with Dillon dumping Aric mostly because "yeah, it's the 500. If someone did that at the Indy 500 I would feel the same way."

The problem is it's Dillon who won :barf: (at least it wasn't Kyle Busch or Chase)

Also :tif:
https://twitter.com/AustinKarp/status/965604016246935552

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:chloe:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/NASCARONFOX/status/967544229672108032

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:tif:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns posted:

gently caress Kyle Busch

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

SpitztheGreat posted:

All these old videos have been a jarring reminder for safety overall- but for me the most noticeable are the non-SAFER barrier walls. They haven't been everywhere all that long, but holy poo poo I had forgotten how hard a concert wall is. We all remember Gordon's wreck at Vegas not that many years ago, but it has been a long time since the outside corners didn't have SAFER barriers- and seeing some of these wrecks it's perplexing how no one thought about/demanded doing it earlier.

The thing that amazes me is the drivers want more of it, it's that good. FIA and the ACO have looked at SAFER and installed it at F1 tracks and Le Mans, usually in areas where it's a high speed corner with not much runoff.

I'm surprised Indy hasn't put it around the entirety of IMS yet, given they were the main driving force behind it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

shame on an IGA posted:

not nascar but Dan Wheldon ranks as the stupidest most pointless motorsports death of my lifetime. They'd already fixed everything in the next version of the car, largely from his own input, but just had to run a dumbass gimmick race to close out the season.

Yeah, it's why Will Power is really, really pushing for a windscreen, which may have saved Dan.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CBJSprague24 posted:

The same Chase Elliott who had a roof flap popped up one year in 500 qualifying?

And tape on his spoiler or something that one time.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Elephanthead posted:

Chase was just bitching that they were not smart enough to cheat that way.

I don't think any amount of cheating would help Chase though.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CBJSprague24 posted:

There'll only be four to debate because know Gordon will be the fifth.

Gordon
Gibbs
Penske
Roush
Kulwicki

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

When they interviewed SRA today I yelled at the TV "GIVE US HATS YOU gently caress".

My coworker was confused.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

He wants revenge for Indy last year.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

mischief posted:

Not a whole lot of folks on here are going to disagree. He's one of the last characters left in the sport and quite a driver to boot.

He has the best pit sign and no one will convince me otherwise.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/973218878137487361
:tif:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

iwentdoodie posted:

Top 5 markets all in the east?

Better make more races in the west! Grow the brand!

The thing is I don't fault them for doing a west coast trip at the moment. The weather out there is more consistent than the east so you have less chance of snow coming by and loving the whole thing up. Also helps that those tracks are more southern than most of the East coast tracks, though they could do 'Dega as well.

(I like to joke that US racing follows a bell curve, the start and end of the seasons are in the south half of the country, whereas the middle is in the north).

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Elitist Bitch posted:

They should build better racetracks in the West. :colbert:

Agreed, tear down Vegas.

Fontana and Phoenix are fine.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I want to see a graph of NASCAR's ratings since... 1990. Because that should be interesting.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Fall Martinsville was amazing last year because of the stupid drama with Chase and Denny. Was it dumb drama? Yeah. Was it "Let me grab my popcorn" worthy? gently caress yeah it was.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Give us the rundown as to why, please (other than Joey needing to gently caress off back to cup)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

gently caress Kyle but :golfclap: this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/jeff_gluck/status/977609109427146753?s=19