Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

kidcoelacanth posted:

Stages were less horribly implemented than some might expect and helped make the best driver all year champion.

Stages, and the playoffs, were also what allowed the likes of Chase Elliot to come maybe-too-close to seriously competing for the championship.

Just because everything worked out in the end still doesn't mean the current format isn't without its major pitfalls.

That being said, I did watch a lot more NASCAR last year than I did in the years previous. We'll see how things go in 2018.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

iospace posted:

I think it really helped that it was a fresh face leading the pack this year instead of JimmieBot.

Absolutely. Truex and Furniture Row was a fantastic story all year. Thank goodness they won it all in the end.

kidcoelacanth posted:

If anything I think stages helped neutralize the bullshit of the playoff format, which still sucks and I hate it, but at least the drivers who've actually been doing the best all season have an advantage built in.

True, but that advantage only carries you so far and only accounts for things up to a certain point. I despite the format of the final race, which is inconsistent with the goals of the regular season and rest of the playoffs: Winning the race is everything, consistency is everything else.

The advantages that Truex built up during the year were all taken away from him in Miami. If he caught a bad break in any other point of the season, those advantages would help him get over that bad break. There is no such safety net (constructed of his own hard work) available in the finale.

The field racing conservatively in the last race to avoid screwing with the Champ 4 drivers is dumb as hell, too. When someone else going for a win says "you can't race your hardest" then there's something wrong.

Here's the fix: Make the last race a literal winner-take all. If one of the Champ 4 wins the race, they win the championship. If none of them win it, the points leader is the champion. (This would make the stage points in the last race actually matter.) Same amount of drama, but with enough fairness in there to avoid a bullshit ending if something happens during hard racin' to take out a championship contender.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

runoverbobby posted:

Does this mean it is currently possible for a Champ 4 to win the last race and NOT be the points leader?

:aaaaa:

I think that's stupid.
I don't know.

That's been the format ever since the Chase was originally implemented.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

He will be! In the booth. At some races?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Yeah, if NASCAR is going to keep making double-file a thing on tracks where single-file is the only thing, letting drivers decide where the sweet spot is between track position and optimal line would be great.

The only problem I would have with this is how you would implement it without making cautions last too long. I guess the drivers would line up single file and start picking a lane with a two to go?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

"Ha ha gently caress Kyle"

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

WindyMan posted:

"Ha ha gently caress Kyle"

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

will_colorado posted:

welp there it is

"it" implies there will be only one.

How cute.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Boomer The Cannon posted:

If we're going to have the Xfinity series basically mirror the Cup series, and have the rules packages as close as they are, why not get all crazy and turn Cup/Xfinity into an A/B tour, with the top 5 Xfinity teams from Saturday* getting a set of tires and spots 37-41 in Sunday's race?

*unless you field a Cup driver already qualified into Sunday's race

Eliminate Xfinity, make Cup a 70-car national touring series with C/B/A Feature races.

Let's fuckin' go.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

wicka posted:

To be fair to - I know we disagree on a lot of this, but I am also not looking forward to watching her at Indy. She hasn't driven an open-wheel car in seven years, hasn't driven a DW12 ever, and this new aerokit has drastically reduced downforce. I can't imagine anything good happening.

At least it will leave little doubt about her competency as an Indy (500) driver.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

CBJSprague24 posted:

The 36 chartered cars are the only ones entered for Atlanta. Harvick and Mikey got their wish.

One has to wonder if there would be races with fewer cars, if not for the charter system.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

dsriggs posted:

Jenkins was lead announcer for Indy at the time, kinda weird to describe that as a "company man"

Growing up with him and BP and Ned on ESPN cemented Bob in my mind as a NASCAR guy. It was really weird seeing him start to do Indycar races at first.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Elephanthead posted:

Either way, watching Harvick lap the whole field would have been better but stupid stages, competition caution and the air hose screwed that up.

Better for racing, not better for entertainment and having a reason to watch through to the end of the TV broadcast.

You can't have the first thing without the second thing nowadays.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

CBJSprague24 posted:

I AM ROBERT YATES. HOW DOES I PIT CREW MANAGEMENT?

https://www.nascar.com/video/franchise/all-videos/unusual-racing-story-slugger/

TL;DR- Slugger Labbe, at the time the front tire changer for Dale Jarrett, was named crew chief for Kenny Irwin in 1998 at Atlanta. Yates, Labbe, and Todd Parrott didn't realize they hadn't replaced Labbe with a new tire changer on the 88 crew until they were on the airplane to Atlanta, so Labbe did both during the race. :wtc:

Did it occur to them that they could have just swapped the 28's front tire changer to the 88 and have Slugger change tires for his own car? Seems as if that would be more efficient.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

SpitztheGreat posted:

This finish deserves to be remembered better:

1980 Southern 500

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_q9DiRK6tc

Nice hat.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Don't we all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKk3H7yqZas

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

They don't exactly have a formal procedure for late-stage cautions. Knowing NASCAR you know they're not going to end a stage under caution and they'll bend the rules in order to assure that.

They could just finish out the caution as normal, taking as many laps as they need to, and then have a two-lap dash under green to end the stage even if it's a few laps beyond the original scheduled stage ending. Seems simple enough.

quote:

A Little Known FACT: Burger King's Bacon King is superior to the Baconator.

It is, actually.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Elephanthead posted:

Make every track a mobius strip.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

quote:

"In my opinion, [Lowe's leaving] has nothing to do with the sport," Phelps said. "It has everything to do with the business model that they're in.

"And that's OK. ... The number of sponsors that are involved in our sport is at an all-time high. How they activate and what they're doing in the sport continues to change."

…is he loving serious? I can't believe they're trying to spin this like that.

Even if it's true that there are more companies sponsoring teams—and it probably is because of how many cars have split-season deals with different sponsors—the total amount of sponsorship dollars available to the sport overall is still way the gently caress down. There may be more companies involved but they're going to activate less overall because their investments are less in total. And Monster seems to be disinterested in promoting NASCAR with the same vigor that Nextel/Sprint or Winston (obviously) did. From the top down there's less activation and less promotion of the sport, even if there are more stakeholders involved.

:tif: indeed.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Proud Christian Mom posted:

gently caress mid pack, people cruising around in 35th still had full time sponsors.

And 38th!

Remember when NASCAR races had more than 38 cars? :smith:

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Truck race, a legit debris caution with 35 laps to go.

For some reason, the first thought that popped into my head was to try to use a drone to clear the debris without throwing a caution.

That's just silly. NASCAR is going to throw the caution no matter what, and they can't afford drones anyway!!

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

I wish NASCAR would be good again. I want to keep watching but won't if I know a goddamn short track race is going to be boring like that. They're supposed to be appointment television!

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Which is why illegal streams will always be an option worth undertaking. Yes, I want to pay to watch what you're offering. No, I don't want to pay more to watch what you're offering than we've already had to over the years.

I know there have been certain people who have been vocal about Indycar going full OTT with its streaming service, but at the end of the day the easiest and cheapest way to get a lot of people watching your product is to have as many races as possible on OTA broadcast television. I'd watch a race on TV—with commercials!—over a sketchy stream any day of the week.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

To save even more money, don't race

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Elephanthead posted:

Just reduce every race to 4 laps and you can save everyone a ton of money and time.

Make the first two stages 20 laps. Make the last stage 40 laps. Doesn't matter what track it is. Same at Bristol or at Watkins Glen.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

https://twitter.com/bobpockrass/status/983747793691885568

Why prolong the inevitable?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

CBJSprague24 posted:

NASCAR is exploring a system beyond 2019 where they may not even have a title sponsor and are also making it sound like they may not want Monster back anyway. :psyduck:

A top-flight league not having an entitlement sponsor isn't completely unprecedented. The English Premier League is one of the most popular soccer competitions in the world, and they turned down entitlement sponsorship to essentially become their own entitlement sponsor and put their brand out there as-is.

Of course, a lot of the individual clubs of the EPL are worth more than the whole of NASCAR. But go on, NASCAR! See how going solo works out for you.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

How many sport leagues actually do have an entitlement sponsor? I mean it's not the Denny's Grand Slam Baseball League or the Hooters Football League. The major sport leagues in the US is just the MLB, NFL, & NBA.

The major national sports leagues in the U.S. and around the world don't need a sponsor to activate and keep the league in the public mind. When you're in every major city playing every week/several times a week/every day, it's in everyone's mind all the time.

Compare this to a racing series. NASCAR is on every week, but it's only in one place at a time. It's like a circus. (Complete with clowns!) NASCAR is going to do the heavy promoting when it's coming to town, but there needs to be some level of constant promotion/buzz outside of that time window and particular place for that local promotion to be more effective. An entitlement sponsor with skin in the game can do that with national commercials, in-store promotions, etc.

There's also the fact that racing is increasingly becoming more attractive in the B2B arena. Indycar has been tracking that way for a while, and I have a suspicion that its next title sponsor will have as much of an interest in catering to other businesses as much as they do Joe Consumer. If NASCAR doesn't have a title sponsor like that, and they continue down the road of dwindling fans/less overall sponsor interest… where else are they going to get the money from?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

iospace posted:

My hope (which is optimistic) is that they make a clear path similar to MRTI: K&N -> ARCA -> Trucks -> NXS -> Cup.

Yes.

iospace posted:

But this is NASCAR so they're going to gently caress it up somehow.

Yes.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

sum posted:

i've recently unironically gotten into watching the nascar cup series for reasons i think have to do with the fact that i live in an old house with lead pipes. anyway who are the good and cool drivers to root for and which ones are the bad ones

Good and Cool Drivers: Not Kyle Busch

Bad Drivers: Kyle Busch

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

SpitztheGreat posted:

The sport is in critical condition if they're looking to sell. As bad as it is from the outside, they wouldn't be looking to sell if they saw a path to turning it around. The books must be grim.

NASCAR buying up ARCA makes a lot more sense with this development. It was never about integrating ARCA into NASCAR racing, it was about integrating ARCA's assets into the NASCAR portfolio to make it more attractive to buyers.

I swear to God if NASCAR kills ARCA due to this I won't watch NASCAR ever again.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Make NASCAR modifieds the top division

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Half the field races clockwise, the other half counter-clockwise.

Oh wait, someone is already trying that

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

CBJSprague24 posted:

Also, Charter teams are required to run the All-Star Race. :eng101:

Is there any particular reason why they might opt out of it? A race is a race and your sponsors are paying to be there.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

bigbillystyle posted:

I've never seen the track have to go to the backup car for a pace car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE5NdwoWJTA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfQ2jjn0w-s

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

harperdc posted:

The problem for NASCAR - and a problem IndyCar faces sometimes - is filling up a day with running on-track at ovals. Only a couple of the ICS support series also run on ovals, which means three-day race weekends feel too long; there’s too much dead time. NASCAR might fill up the Friday and Saturday well if all three series are there, but without, it gets tricky. Which is why I think they compensate with long races for the live crowd.

This is been the real problem with oval attendance, IMO. When NASCAR and Indycar were The poo poo you could get away with having one race on one day but that's not the case anymore. Indycar and the MRTI can have a full slate of day/night racing over two days at a track like Texas, especially with SST/Trucks being there:

Friday morning: All series practice/qualify
Friday afternoon: USF2000/PM Race 1 on the 1/5-mile infield oval
Friday night: NASCAR Trucks race

Saturday morning: More practice
Saturday afternoon: SST Race 1, USF2000/PM Race 2 on the infield, Indy Lights race on the big oval
Saturday night: Indycar race, SST Race 2

I would travel for a lineup like that.

ed- Thought I was in the Indycar thread. If you want to do this with NASCAR, you have ARCA and the regional series to add to the mix on the short tracks and 1-mile ovals. Plenty of 1.5ers have the infield oval and should use those for midgets/legends races when appropriate. Add monster trucks or jet car exhibitions like at local short tracks. Give people value for their money and (most importantly) time and you'll keep more butts in seats.

WindyMan fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 11, 2018

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Elitist Bitch posted:

I don't think they wonder and moreover I don't think they care.

I think they'll start caring when the sponsors stop supporting NASCAR.

Oh, wait

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

mischief posted:

So how 'bout them racing cars....

Yup.

A lot of them drivers are racists.

Because they race.

And they also hate black people.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Elitist Bitch posted:

Every Applebee's in America spontaneously bursts into flames.

loving millennials

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

https://twitter.com/RACERmag/status/1009499763933372419

KNutwhackers?