Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
Can't wait to just dive my rear end back to the ancient isles or shores of plenty when a siren skull or some other event leaves me selling in the shitbrown Wilds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

It sounds good, a great way to kickstart your session, saving time. The raised level caps that also add distinctions (like in guilds) also points to them preparing to add effectively infinite levels, if it's not already added in S11.

I'm not entirely sure how the 'loot changes to fit your emissary' will work, and if they really added 6 new types of loot for every piece of treasure.

Note that the Chest of Fortune will once again rotate to a new world event, which is very likely harder to farm than where it was in S10 (Fort of the Damned). Which is why I spent the last two weeks grinding out 17 solo fotd clears, and now I never want to see that loving island again. :gonk:

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
Take it with a grain of salt but I've heard that Mike Chapman confirmed somewhere that you may only dive to uncontested world events, so there won't be anybody popping out of the ocean to jump your event in progress.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Raposa posted:

Take it with a grain of salt but I've heard that Mike Chapman confirmed somewhere that you may only dive to uncontested world events, so there won't be anybody popping out of the ocean to jump your event in progress.

Lame.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

On the plus side if diving keeps you on the same server it means you can dive to the shores of gold tall tale to teleport to the devil's roar if you're a reaper and see someone is there.

If it changes server then you could potentially actually use the mechanic to server hop as a reaper 5 to appear on the map out of nowhere and head straight for emmissaries before they have a chance to sell.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

I think Rare would anticipate something as unfair as that and block it. They did the same when you could do that with the Disney TTs or Monkey Island TTs, I think.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Nope, you can quite happily server hop using a checkpoint for the first Pirates Life tall tale. It's intended behaviour, even.

It sounds like they're just streamlining it with this update, instead of having to sit through four loading screens and two long cutscenes.

Most of the people who seem that desperate for a fight seem to just use the hourglass PvP anyway, and then go after anyone they find on the server that drops them into.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Sywert of Thieves posted:

I think Rare would anticipate something as unfair as that and block it. They did the same when you could do that with the Disney TTs or Monkey Island TTs, I think.

You can use tall tales to server hop.

Even if the voyages don't change server, since you can dive to a world event not on you server you switch, so getting to L5 reaper and switching servers to sink emissaries is 100% going to be a thing.

It's why I suspect even diving for a voyage or tall tale will make you switch servers because otherwise let's say I see an emissary in the devil's roar I can just vote for shores of gold and teleport across the map. At least with a server hop they make sure you spawn on a server with no players nearby.

It will be interesting as someone mentioned to me the other day in their experience if you fly reapers by the time you get to 5 all the emissaries have left the server and I've certainly found it's true when we hit 5 there's only ever one emissary around usually. So being able to server hop and see 3 emissaries will be fun for us as a Reaper.

I'd say it's unfair on the "hunted" as it were but with the sovereigns you can sell really quickly these days. As long as they can get to an outpost 60 seconds before we get there all we will probably get is their emissary flag.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Kitchner posted:

I'd say it's unfair on the "hunted" as it were but with the sovereigns you can sell really quickly these days. As long as they can get to an outpost 60 seconds before we get there all we will probably get is their emissary flag.

Pretty much how it is with hopping using tall tales now.

In fact it's a bit fairer as they can server hop just as easily too after selling.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Yeah this new update sounds great, and I really like that there's gonna be new tutorials, and it SEEMS at least to no longer prevent you from grabbing shorter voyages just because you outleveled them

Edit: Though what seems really wild is the hunter's call icon in the list of companies you can get voyages for. New fishing voyages? Or maybe just hunter's call treasure from their new raid voyage system? either way that's bonkers in a good way

Gloomy Rube fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 19, 2024

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Gloomy Rube posted:

Yeah this new update sounds great, and I really like that there's gonna be new tutorials, and it SEEMS at least to no longer prevent you from grabbing shorter voyages just because you outleveled them

Edit: Though what seems really wild is the hunter's call icon in the list of companies you can get voyages for. New fishing voyages? Or maybe just hunter's call treasure from their new raid voyage system? either way that's bonkers in a good way

I definetly think the intention is to give all players the option of basically logging in diving to an island, digging up a couple of chests, selling, then logging off.

I wouldn't read too much into hunters call being on that menu

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

So now you can freely pick Devil's Roar variants of voyages including ones I've never seen available like lost shipment and fleet of ghost ships, and no more gold cost associated with them either. Neat!

OTOH, captaincy voyages are no longer a thing and that little shelf is just extra trinket storage now. I have no idea if this means I'm stuck rolling the dice with poo poo-tier vault keys again? Because man it sucked just constantly rolling stone-grade keys.

New title screen is wonderful and I genuinely want it as a screensaver.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

The onboarding experience is completely different now too,with you starting on your ship after Maiden Voyage, having to do the tutorials before doing other quests for each faction, and the progression feels better, with lost shipment and etc being unlocked at level 15 instead of 25, and various other voyages unlocking until you hit level 50. It seems a lot more progression-oriented for new players, and I think it's a good change.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Diving to a location/raid or w.e. also results in significantly less loot.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

I'm very happy that the new update doesn't bring new underwater content, which I would've hated. :)

Also the guild is level 69 now, we won the game!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Can't wait for more underwater content so I can hear my bud mumble "no no no no no" at various points during our adventures.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Kwolok posted:

Diving to a location/raid or w.e. also results in significantly less loot.

It's like 50% of the loot value but it's all for a specific faction. So can be used to grind specific faction.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Kitchner posted:

It's like 50% of the loot value but it's all for a specific faction. So can be used to grind specific faction.

I also hear the loot is worth more individually compared to what you'd normally get. So it should be a similar amount or more.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

glitchwraith posted:

I also hear the loot is worth more individually compared to what you'd normally get. So it should be a similar amount or more.

Its not a similar amount, its about half. Yes they rebalanced value of things but it still ends up being half.

Let That Sink In
Jan 24, 2024

Bears, Beets, Battlestar Galactica

MonkeyforaHead posted:

So now you can freely pick Devil's Roar variants of voyages including ones I've never seen available like lost shipment and fleet of ghost ships, and no more gold cost associated with them either. Neat!

OTOH, captaincy voyages are no longer a thing and that little shelf is just extra trinket storage now. I have no idea if this means I'm stuck rolling the dice with poo poo-tier vault keys again? Because man it sucked just constantly rolling stone-grade keys.

New title screen is wonderful and I genuinely want it as a screensaver.

Ghost fleets in devil's roar? That's cool! The gold cost honestly wasn't really a huge deal in the first place, just a minor thing that really had no business being there in the first place.

One new thing that I noticed is that with all these other voyages being free, the skull of destiny voyage is also free (it used to be 100 doubloons iirc, which was not minor). This means we will all probably be seeing a lot more activated forts and grinding out FotD for easy rep and gold is actually an incredibly viable strategy (it kind of was before, but even moreso now), since it's just easy PvE. Unless people actually start attacking players doing FotD, that's probably the best way to play the game progressively right now. I've done probably about 3 forts now with reaper's emissary on the whole time and I've never even seen a ship come within my render distance.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

glitchwraith posted:

There's a lot of stuff flying around but it's basically:

Say a world event is 30K emergent, you'll turn up and get a mix of loot across all trading companies. It might be like 15 items total, 5 for each, so 10k per faction.

If you dive to that event, you only get 15K BUT it's all for one faction AND it's only 4 items because one item is worth 10k.

So diving gets you the same/more loot for one specific company and because it's less items it's quicker to loot and sell.

The biggest criticism I think that will come from S11 after the dust has settled will be they didn't add anything new to actually do. Again.

Sure you can dive to stuff and maybe the loot is rejigged, but ultimately there's no new forms of PvE or PvP, no new sandbox tools etc etc. Once the novelty of the dive mechanic wears off I think people will sort of notice

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Lol "You get way less stuff diving to events but its cool because I can sell less stuff faster!"

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Love this tendency of introducing convenience features and then penalizing you for using them.

edit: Something has definitely been changed with sloop inertia, I can't for the life of me get this thing to come to a loving stop in open waters without using the anchor now.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 25, 2024

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Kwolok posted:

Lol "You get way less stuff diving to events but its cool because I can sell less stuff faster!"

and the whole thing can be done quicker, which makes sense if the goal is to attract or keep players who don't have a few hours to put into the game and want to have a shorter adventure.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Love this tendency of introducing convenience features and then penalizing you for using them.

edit: Something has definitely been changed with sloop inertia, I can't for the life of me get this thing to come to a loving stop in open waters without using the anchor now.

This only applies to the Raids though (diving to world events, forts, shrines, etc.) If you use the diving mechanic for a normal trading company voyage, it the usual amount of loot. I can see the logic. Part of the reason for the high amount of gold for World Events was opportunity cost. Making the on-demand version reward less, but geared towards quicker sessions means people with less time actually get to do that content.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

I've seen this happen dozens of times already. Someone complains there's less loot, another person coming in and explaining it like Kitchner, and then the next reply is "...but it's less loot! This update sucks Rare!" :eng99:

People just want to stack loot. They will absolutely prefer 50 chests worth fuckall over one item worth 60 times that.

Sywert of Thieves fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 26, 2024

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Sywert of Thieves posted:

I've seen this happen dozens of times already. Someone complains there's less loot, another person coming in and explaining it like Kitchner, and then the next reply is "...but it's less loot! This update sucks Rare!" :eng99:

People just want to stack loot. They will absolutely prefer 50 chests worth fuckall over one item worth 60 times that.

Its not though. Its less loot. Yes there are less items. Yes items are worth slightly more right now. BUt if you dive to something the net value of everything is still less. This has been calculated and proven by a number of people.

If you calculate it by loot per hour, it might be more. But that is the only metric by which you could argue diving is more loot, which is a technicality and not really true.

Diving gives you less loot. That isn't the end of the world as diving is really just a means to kick off your journey, and emergent loot is the real treat now.

Also is there any downsides to soveriegns?

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Do people like spending 30-45 minutes at the end of their session just offloading loot? Because that was always the worst part of any play session for me and my friends and was usually done silently because we were all tired from the fun we had prior to that part.

All the conveniences making that portion of gameplay shorter are worth any and all opportunity costs.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Do people like spending 30-45 minutes at the end of their session just offloading loot? Because that was always the worst part of any play session for me and my friends and was usually done silently because we were all tired from the fun we had prior to that part.

All the conveniences making that portion of gameplay shorter are worth any and all opportunity costs.

Unless you're selling at Reaper's it should be like, five to ten minutes? Maybe fifteen if you're slow?

At Reaper's it's not much higher if you park at The Spot.

Edit: Don't know if you've played since the captaincy and Sovereign's update but that's the convenience they added

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Yeah end of our session is just a full tilt slam into the pier (me bemoaning the cosmetic repair costs to my dear ships) and two people on the spears, with plenty of joyous and merry accidental and intentional harpooning of people rather than loot, which tends to relive a lot of the tension. Kinda nice tbh.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Yeah to be fair as the others have said with a captained ship these days it's dead easy to sell even a whole bunch of loot.

It does however help new players who can't buy their own ship and need to unload like 40 items.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah the sovereign tent owns. it's really, really good

as someone who played solo a lot in the past, getting "my own" sloop asap was the biggest QOL i could have asked for. the fact that i can invite my friends into the guild and they can use sovereigns from day 1 even if they go on a solo adventure is loving great

selling at reapers still has that "what if i get caught with all this loot on the floor" feel if you want it, but also reaper flag works on any and every loot unlike others, and it's the pvp flag so imo it's fair that a guy you just stole from has more time to get some their loot back

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Started playing again on a whim and its been interesting. Just been dropping into brigs as filler. And debating if i should buy a sloop but i missed the captaincy update so i dont actually know why i would.

Everybody's ships are very pretty though. I like the little tree cosmetic trophy. Apparently last night the brig i joined was someone else's captained ship but they had left earlier? Does the cosmetic damage last when they come back that we put on it cause..... It was hosed.

Edit: is there a goon guild etc or is it just join discord and find someone still?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Captaincy let's you save cosmetics to your ship, add a title plaque, buy captaincy voyages (defunct now), sell at Sovereign's. Sell at Sovereign's is the biggest draw.

There are two goon guild after the main filled up. If you don't want to spend money on a ship right now you can sail someone else's captained ship and sell to Sovereign's with it, if you're in their guild you can just sail it (if they're not).

The discord is still the best way to actually play with goons, going through the guild itself will be a crapshoot.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I'll have to join discord then. Is the link in op still correct?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Yup

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I played a bit after the Sovereign's update and the convenience was incredibly nice, yeah. I was just remarking on the comments about less loot for slightly more money being a drag.

Taking, say, the original 45 minutes of turning in down to 15 minutes down to (maybe) 5 minutes (vanilla -> Sovereigns -> this update) is absolutely worth the overall cost of "less loot" for me since I hate the turn-in phase and often skipped it around the time I stopped playing.

By the time I really stopped playing, loot, for our group, had turned into ship decorations covering every inch of the deck trying to tempt other ships into fighting us for it. We weren't hardcore PvPers; instead we really enjoyed skirmishers that would do friendly trash talk over the megaphones and kids who were roleplaying. We wanted to either be a juicy target for someone else who wasn't hardcore but wanted to PvP, or a reward for attackers who were outmatched but bold enough to try where we'd attempt to stop the fight and hand over half our loot as a prize.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Solo slopped today, just dived to siren treasuries, two were enough to get me to level 5 because it gave me a weirdly large amount of emissary rep for just touching all the Disney sticks.

Then, and here's the sneaky trick, I dived to the Shores of Gold tall tale, which brought me to morrow's peak out of the way, then collected the emissary quests.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

FYI, we just made a little space in the main goon guild, Dread Bay For Rum, if anyone wants to join up. And if for some reason those slots fill quickly, we have an overflow guild, Crew La Goons. Just ask about it in the Discord and someone will invite you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Got me my first shrouded ghost.