Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Iconoclasts is the latest release from long-time one-man indie dev Joakim "konjak" Sandberg (previously known for the excellent side-scrolling beat-'em-up Noitu Love 2). Iconoclasts is his largest and most ambitious game yet- so large and so ambitious that he nearly abandoned it... seven years ago. That it is now complete and available to purchase is something of a minor miracle.

What's it about

You play Robin, a muscular young girl mechanic who likes to help people. Alas, the local theocratic regime likes neither unlicensed mechanics nor helping people, and so she finds herself in a spot of bother. From there things get stranger, and darker, and stranger, until eventually... well.

How does it play

Iconoclasts is a "metroidvania", i.e. a little like the earlier Metroids or the later Castlevanias. From a side-on perspective you jump, gambol, shoot and beat the living poo poo out of things with a giant gently caress-off wrench. There are secrets and upgrades and bosses, but mostly there are puzzles. It's a much puzzlier game than either series, and you'll be doing much more puzzling than exploring or fighting.

Is it good

Let's check:

Seems definitive to me! (I enjoyed it a lot; if you're good at these sorts of games you'll probably find it a bit easy- try the harder difficulty).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnUN19xGIzU https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4C-T1tx2tg

Game is out now on PC, PS4 and PS Vita, please buy it and play it so we can talk about how every character is a jerk and how the final act broke my heart in half.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

game is definitely good

Also drat the story beats get really heavy for such a colourful quirky game. Is there any way to not BIG LATEGAME SPOILER leave Royal to die? I tried swapping him with the Usurper Gun but it wouldn't let me.

edit: why isn't the thread title this

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 25, 2018

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I'm really enjoying this, wondering that the gently caress is going on with this planet exactly.

Game looks gorgeous too, though I'm not really sure what's going on with everyone's twig shins. Chrome had the right idea I think.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

game is definitely good

Also drat the story beats get really heavy for such a colourful quirky game. Is there any way to not BIG LATEGAME SPOILER leave Royal to die? I tried swapping him with the Usurper Gun but it wouldn't let me.

Same. I had such a "yes!" moment when I thought to try the Usurper Gun, but... :negative:. I actually sat there and ran out the timer the first time, half because I refused to just drop a dude on the floor and leave him to die and half because I was hoping for some special game over/story branch.

Little later on it occurred to me that Royal might already be dead by that point? The spaceworm hits him with the psy attack and then he stops talking a couple of screens before you get to the door. It would be... kinder... if that were true.

SirSamVimes posted:

edit: why isn't the thread title this

Because it's two in the morning and I have had so much vodka I'm already hung over.

Also I think it's too long?

Reveilled posted:

I'm really enjoying this, wondering that the gently caress is going on with this planet exactly.

Spoilers for way ahead of where you are I guess but I don't think it's ever actually explained. Unless Leticia does it? The game is super weird that for being so talky it explains almost nothing about what's going on. What is ivory? What's the blue gunk? Why do the controllers exist? I don't even know if the bird mechanic dude was really there to end the world or if he just wanted to top up the tank. I understand the plot of Hyperlight Drifter better than I do this and that game contains no dialogue whatsoever.

It adds to the bleakness of it all, I think. It's pretty clear that everything goes wrong because nobody understands anything, but in the end neither do you. Maybe the bird guy was just trying to help

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Autonomous Monster posted:

It adds to the bleakness of it all, I think. It's pretty clear that everything goes wrong because nobody understands anything, but in the end neither do you. Maybe the bird guy was just trying to help.

I wondered the same thing but the fact that his robot being lightly punched in the snout resulted in a psyker mental attack makes me feel his motives might not be pure.

edit:

Also I think it's too long?

It fits. :colbert:

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 25, 2018

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Good game. I would have liked some kind of cooldown chapter that at least alludes to some of the still unresolved bits, it does it a little bit during the credits but not enough.

endgame spoilers: I also tried to use the usurper gun on Royal. The way the room is set up even makes it look like it will work because he would hit the other panel when we warped. I wonder if there was a story beat after the fact that got canned, and that's just how they dealt with the loose end.

I ended up beating it in just under 10 hours playing on Harder. Harder was a nice difficulty for me up until the last few bosses which got obnoxiously hard, but then went back to acceptable by the end boss itself.

Praise Be To Chemico Contra.

And Mina. Mina is good too.

NOTE FOR PEOPLE STILL GOING: Make 3 health tweaks. Even if you don't end up using them, have them available to swap in at the save spots if needed. I ended up with plenty of components left available by the time I finished.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Mina is good, but Black is the best.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Looks spiffy.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Been following it since it got announced as Ivory Springs way back when. Finally glad it's out though boy I was not expecting a story as serious as this.

Challenge mode is fun but I'm not sure if I'm gonna get past one of the later bosses due to every boss having new attacks and whatnot.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Been following it since it got announced as Ivory Springs way back when. Finally glad it's out though boy I was not expecting a story as serious as this.

Challenge mode is fun but I'm not sure if I'm gonna get past one of the later bosses due to every boss having new attacks and whatnot.

oh dang bosses get new attacks? definitely gonna have to start a challenge mode game

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

SirSamVimes posted:

oh dang bosses get new attacks? definitely gonna have to start a challenge mode game

It's more than that. Mind I'm only halfway through but there's new enemy layouts in a good chunk of spots, bosses have new attacks or effects added to them, statues don't recharge your tweaks anymore (only save spots) aaand you die in one hit unless you're using iron heart.

It's fun fun fun.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
This Ash fight can eat crap

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I'm in the underwater lab how do you solve the puzzle with the two bomb activated locks and a pick up crate near each of them? Trying to get the third key

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Stack the crates in the middle and then bombs away.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

rumble in the bunghole posted:

This Ash fight can eat crap

It got a lot easier for me once I realised you don't need to get right up close to catch him, you can just hammer away with the stun gun from half a screen away.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I saw Mark Brown stream a bit of this yesterday. It looks neat! I will get it when it comes to God's perfect system, Nintendo Switch.

M. Propagandalf
Aug 9, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Not going to be able to play this anytime soon, but I've been looking forward to this since 2011.

So glad to that to see the creator stuck with it after nearly abandoning the project.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This game hurt me so many times.

I loved it

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Apparently you can get soft-locked via sequence break and broken flags during the escape segment in the beginning. Saw it on Vinesauce. Shame.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I still gotta find all the treasures, I'm at 96% completion but am stumped. I still have things to find in the mountain, blockrock, and the labs but have no leads and the hidden wall tweak hasn't gotten me anywhere. Also I haven't figured out the meaning of the message from the dead pupils. Plus there's the bottom of Glass Strait :iiam:.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

Plus there's the bottom of Glass Strait :iiam:.

This one is Leticia's final hangout spot. There's a list of those here, if you want to be spoiled.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's more than that. Mind I'm only halfway through but there's new enemy layouts in a good chunk of spots, bosses have new attacks or effects added to them, statues don't recharge your tweaks anymore (only save spots) aaand you die in one hit unless you're using iron heart.

It's fun fun fun.

This sounds cool as gently caress but I have no idea how you'd get through Impact Zone without dying. I could barely do it on normal :negative:

Daedalus1134 posted:

I ended up beating it in just under 10 hours playing on Harder. Harder was a nice difficulty for me up until the last few bosses which got obnoxiously hard, but then went back to acceptable by the end boss itself.

For my money the hardest boss is... Mother, maybe? Black and Starworm are much longer but they also shower you in health drops.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
This game is a proper Metroidvania right? Not just one of those games that calls itself that or gets called it incorrectly?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

This game is a proper Metroidvania right? Not just one of those games that calls itself that or gets called it incorrectly?

Well it's more linear and story based than one would usually expect from one but it's got upgrades that let you access new things and you can backtrack to find stuff. I would say yes it is but I'm not really a stickler for purity in genre definition.

This one is Leticia's final hangout spot. There's a list of those here, if you want to be spoiled.

Wow I only found the first of these looks like I've got some stuff to do

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I remember owning the preview soundtrack to this game a bazillion yonks ago, I can't believe it finally got made.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

I found a thing :ohdear:

It's kicking my rear end :negative:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That was a cool thing. All I have left now is the Pupils' message. East woods by Mother? Mother by east woods? East Mother by woods????

By east woods Mother?????????????????????

E: Oh i found it it's exactly where I thought it was originally but I did it slightly wrong. :geno:

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 25, 2018

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I've bumped into a girl who talks about food a lot. I tried finding people to give food to and kept an eye out for anything resembling ingredients. I still have the first food item in my inventory and I have no idea what to do with it. Should I just ignore it?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Pollyanna posted:

Apparently you can get soft-locked via sequence break and broken flags during the escape segment in the beginning. Saw it on Vinesauce. Shame.

That wasn't even a sequence break, he hadn't skipped anything. The story flag just didn't activate.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

SirSamVimes posted:

That wasn't even a sequence break, he hadn't skipped anything. The story flag just didn't activate.

There's also one in the submerged labs, but talking with Konjak it's apparently fixed already on PC with a recent patch so hey v:shobon:v
Still a nasty bug.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Justin_Brett posted:

I'd say that if you're the type to draw a distinction as to what a "proper" Metroidvania is, you'd possibly not consider this one. If a key part of it is "backtrack to previous areas and open up a bunch of stuff you couldn't access before" I don't think this game does that. There is some backtracking across areas to new zones but I've found that to be minimal in scope so far. Also while you do get new items they seem to be quite widely spaced apart. However, it is seperated into zones and rooms which can have multiple exits to allow exploration, most rooms have a platforming or puzzley challenge to overcome to reach the next area with a few enemies sprinkled in, and there's lots of small loops in place of the major backtracking as you get a key or hit a switch that opens a door a few screens back.

But if the main thing you like about Metroidvanias is the feeling you get when you have a new item and think "ah, I remember [obstacle] back in [previous area], I can use this to get past it!" this game probably won't scratch that itch. But it has many of the other elements of such games.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Game feels like it easily could've just had stages

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

lets hang out posted:

Game feels like it easily could've just had stages

Feels like that until the Shockwoods. Then things open up and by the end of the game you get a good handful of rewards for exploring old areas like a handful of secret bosses and some fun game changing/breaking tweaks.

Also the secret bosses are awesome and kind of a shame not a lot of people seem to be doing the quests to find them.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

How does one find this thing? I've finished the game but I feel like I missed a lot.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Hello thread, just wanted to say one thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be1cfalZXfo

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sgt Thud posted:

How does one find this thing? I've finished the game but I feel like I missed a lot.

There are two optional endgame sidequests that each have a secret boss at the end of them.

They are:

1.Finding and talking to Leticia at all her spots, look at my posts earlier in the thread to see a list of all of them.

2. Solving the "riddle" of the dead pupils' notes.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

poemdexter posted:

I've bumped into a girl who talks about food a lot. I tried finding people to give food to and kept an eye out for anything resembling ingredients. I still have the first food item in my inventory and I have no idea what to do with it. Should I just ignore it?

Still in the shockwoods, in one of the bigger open rooms with a puzzle for some treasures, remember the woman on the bed in the corner, who tells you to go away? Give it to her.

This game is dope as gently caress and I 100%ed it with a little help from the official game discord, which has full map images to help you get 100%. About half the treasures I had missed I would never have found, the others I knew where they were but not how to get to them.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The thing that surprised me about this game is that my favourite thing about it is actually the writing. It really succeeds at both the comedic and dramatic aspects of it and some of the characters are amazing.

I actually felt worse about killing Black than leaving Royal to die.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

The thing that surprised me about this game is that my favourite thing about it is actually the writing. It really succeeds at both the comedic and dramatic aspects of it and some of the characters are amazing.

I actually felt worse about killing Black than leaving Royal to die.

I definitely agree with you there, it's what grabbed hold of me and kept me playing.

Head....ache...

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I managed challenge mode for the most part. God I wish I could just skip to the bosses, insane anxiety running levels lmao.

I will never touch the secret bosses on Challenge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Just finished the game.

endgame spoilers: Chrome and Black are now two of my favourite antagonists of recent games I've played. I really liked how they were individuals with their own motivations, and neither's motivation was "I just love evil", but entirely relateable on both counts. That bit where Black screams "There's never anything smaller than me" really hit the mark. And the fact that Chrome turned against your enemies, for noble reasons, but ones still at odds with your own was a very clever spin on the usual "good guy in a bad organisation" thing.

I too waited out the timer on Royal, man that felt rough.

As mentioned in posts above, I do wish we'd learned more about what exactly was happening to the world, beyond just the "ivory's running out" bit. Not clear how Royal summoned the Worm, or even if Royal actually summoned the worm or was just the scapegoat, unsure what the bird engineer (I vote we call him Wing Nut) was all about, except that he was angry about Ivory. Or why plants turn square. Or lots of other stuff. But yeah maybe that's the point.

Anyone know if you get a game over or anything different if you walk to your dad in the nightmare sequence before the last boss?

• Locked thread