Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

this video game belongs in a museum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

I saw Mark Brown stream a bit of this yesterday. It looks neat! I will get it when it comes to God's perfect system, Nintendo Switch.

Same, I would buy this in a heartbeat on the Switch. Hope it makes it there someday.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Reveilled posted:

Just finished the game.

endgame spoilers: Chrome and Black are now two of my favourite antagonists of recent games I've played. I really liked how they were individuals with their own motivations, and neither's motivation was "I just love evil", but entirely relateable on both counts. That bit where Black screams "There's never anything smaller than me" really hit the mark. And the fact that Chrome turned against your enemies, for noble reasons, but ones still at odds with your own was a very clever spin on the usual "good guy in a bad organisation" thing.

I too waited out the timer on Royal, man that felt rough.

As mentioned in posts above, I do wish we'd learned more about what exactly was happening to the world, beyond just the "ivory's running out" bit. Not clear how Royal summoned the Worm, or even if Royal actually summoned the worm or was just the scapegoat, unsure what the bird engineer (I vote we call him Wing Nut) was all about, except that he was angry about Ivory. Or why plants turn square. Or lots of other stuff. But yeah maybe that's the point.

Anyone know if you get a game over or anything different if you walk to your dad in the nightmare sequence before the last boss?

Endgame stuff.
Nothing changes if you walk to your dad. Just how you want to give Robin closure.
Planet is literally falling apart. They mined Ivory from the moon to the point it broke and they were doing the same to the planet. Think of the planet being held together by glue and the pirates and one concern were sucking up all the glue.
Bird dude on the other hand is just to show it wasnt a god, it was just some dude. He was there to gas up his ride and that's about it. Nothing against the people, just needed fuel. I assume he was pulled to Royal because Royal was showing up as a blip on his fuel radar and he was leaving because "gently caress it's just some thing yelling at me."

Also fun fact but your choices in conversations alter the nightmare visions and how severe their attacks are. If you're ultra nice to Mina her shadow will only lob shots at you lazily but if you tick her off she has bullet patterns and stuff. It's kinda neat.

Edit: If you haven't already go fight the secret bosses. They kinda own and the story of Fitzroy is super good.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 26, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I think I got about to the halfway mark maybe (most of the way through the electric forest place) but sadly MHW is about to sink its talons in. Great game though, surprisingly interesting writing so far.

I feel bad for Mina's mom, I know that feel :smith:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
My only problem with this game so far is the actual game, because it gets pretty boring and stale.

Also the tower is a garbo dungeon.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Endgame stuff.
Nothing changes if you walk to your dad. Just how you want to give Robin closure.
Planet is literally falling apart. They mined Ivory from the moon to the point it broke and they were doing the same to the planet. Think of the planet being held together by glue and the pirates and one concern were sucking up all the glue.

Yeah, I got the ivory running out bit, but, like, all the other stuff. What's with those eyes, what are the spines, they and the warp system seems to sort of imply the planet might be a giant machine (and I think a few characters make allusions to this), why are plants square (I assumed it was the native flora and the round plants from the seeds were Earth plants, but then round trees in the ending kind of messes that theory up), why can't they get power from things other than ivory (justification in a memo is it would require "significant technological regression", but the society doesn't seem much more advanced than our own, so why is that), etc. etc.

quote:

Bird dude on the other hand is just to show it wasnt a god, it was just some dude. He was there to gas up his ride and that's about it. Nothing against the people, just needed fuel. I assume he was pulled to Royal because Royal was showing up as a blip on his fuel radar and he was leaving because "gently caress it's just some thing yelling at me."

Eh, I'm not sure that's right. It's certainly a plausible explanation, but equally it could be that he's the maintainence guy for the big machine that the planet seems to be, or something else

quote:

Also fun fact but your choices in conversations alter the nightmare visions and how severe their attacks are. If you're ultra nice to Mina her shadow will only lob shots at you lazily but if you tick her off she has bullet patterns and stuff. It's kinda neat.

Well that explains why the Elro fight as the only nightmare that gave me any trouble, on account of him being an overbearing rear end. Who are all the stages meant to be? I didn't catch the stages after 1 in much detail as they were all over rather quickly.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Reveilled posted:

Yeah, I got the ivory running out bit, but, like, all the other stuff. What's with those eyes, what are the spines, they and the warp system seems to sort of imply the planet might be a giant machine (and I think a few characters make allusions to this), why are plants square (I assumed it was the native flora and the round plants from the seeds were Earth plants, but then round trees in the ending kind of messes that theory up), why can't they get power from things other than ivory (justification in a memo is it would require "significant technological regression", but the society doesn't seem much more advanced than our own, so why is that), etc. etc.

Eh, I'm not sure that's right. It's certainly a plausible explanation, but equally it could be that he's the maintainence guy for the big machine that the planet seems to be, or something else

Well that explains why the Elro fight as the only nightmare that gave me any trouble, on account of him being an overbearing rear end. Who are all the stages meant to be? I didn't catch the stages after 1 in much detail as they were all over rather quickly.

You know, I think you're right on the planet being a machine. They made it clear humans migrated to it so it's not like it's earth or anything. Bird dude probably was just doing a check up like you said. The planet spines even have bird feathers on them.
As for the round plants at the end Robin crams a bunch of Earth seeds into the Starworm so that's why they popped up everwhere like that.

As for the final fight Nightmare 1 is Elro, Nightmare 2 is Mina, Nightmare 3 I'm not sure honestly, I saw people speculating it's Mother, Nightmare 4 is Royal.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Played this a bit before work and got stuck in a place where you need 3 keys.
The tower. I couldn't find a way to get the key in the room with "neutral" npcs. It's on a pretty low level and you can see it from the elevator.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I took a screenshot of probably my favorite moment in the game. Spoilers for close to the end:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Reveilled posted:

why can't they get power from things other than ivory (justification in a memo is it would require "significant technological regression", but the society doesn't seem much more advanced than our own, so why is that), etc. etc.

I think the key here is to read it thematically- the note says that switching to alternatives would require a regression and that this would cause them to lose the war with the pirates. That's the important bit- they're so unwilling to bend or compromise that they'd rather destroy the world than suffer the slightest dissent.

On the plants: the round ones are found in the Isi base and are produced by Mina's seeds. You use one of those seeds to kill the starworm/regenerate the planet, so that it produces round trees is unsurprising. More than that, though, there's an implication that the round plants are more natural and the square ones are the product of a perversion of the planet. The first time you meet Royal, he's conjuring flowers in the desert- but he can only make square ones- and he laments that he can't seem to make them round like the old books say they should be. That's part of a larger theme where Royal's theoretical omnipotence falls apart when he runs into outside context problems.

Something I noticed and found interesting about bird dude is that he has a purple prosthetic arm- like the agents do. That technology only works with people who have been infused with ivory. That and the starworm- his spaceship- being a big ball of ivory seems to imply that whoever and whatever he is, he's from a society that uses ivory in much the same way that human civilisation does. There's a very obvious ecological parable in the story, the reckless and short-sighted exploitation of natural resources leading to their exhaustion and the eventual destruction of the planet, and the Starworm is positioned within that as a Godzilla-style avenger come to punish humankind for it's sins (it's Mothra with a paint job, in fact). But the game seems to deliberate undercut that by revealing that the Starworm is just another rear end in a top hat with an ivory addiction.

Regy Rusty posted:

I took a screenshot of probably my favorite moment in the game. Spoilers for close to the end:

I'm so sorry, Black. :negative:

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I made a map http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1281622112

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Kinda mad I think the game glitched on me. I'm still missing one tweak. The banner appeared on the mountain top but I never saw the woman nor did I ever get that banner to appear ever again. Her banner appeared over the water for the last time but I didn't do a Fitzroy fight and still got a tweak from the cave. Also, I had no way of making a New Game+ on any save slot other than Save 1 since I never use multiple save spots. Kinda mad I have no way of trying to get 100% without playing the whole game over again. :(

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

That's odd, I never used any slot other than slot 1 all game but I was able to save the NG+ save in slot 5.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yeah, I can save anywhere I want. Can you revisit the cave for Fitzroy?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

poemdexter posted:

Kinda mad I think the game glitched on me. I'm still missing one tweak. The banner appeared on the mountain top but I never saw the woman nor did I ever get that banner to appear ever again. Her banner appeared over the water for the last time but I didn't do a Fitzroy fight and still got a tweak from the cave. Also, I had no way of making a New Game+ on any save slot other than Save 1 since I never use multiple save spots. Kinda mad I have no way of trying to get 100% without playing the whole game over again. :(

If you had kept walking left in the cave you would have gotten the boss fight. And you still could have selected another save slot.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Guys, I made an extremely major discovery (actually extremely minor but it involves secret spots and the credits so I'll spoil it just in case): Remember Hannibal and Alistair, the soldiers talking about mundane stuff outside the community center when escaping Settlement 17 with Mina? You can actually meet them a couple more times in the game if you find secret spots early enough in the game. If you enter the secret room above the Mother statue in front of where you meet Royal for the first time, before you meet Royal, you can eavesdrop on another conversation. If you did that they show up again in the Shockwoods, before you trigger the scene where you get separated from Mina, by entering a secret spot above the room with the single house in. If you got that scene they show up again in One Concern West, in a secret under the first shield snake enemy you meet.

If you don't find them all four times the ending scene before Tolo mourning Chrome is just an empty pier, but if you did find them four times, it's Hannibal and Alistair star-gazing together.

The game, is good.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

As for the final fight Nightmare 1 is Elro, Nightmare 2 is Mina, Nightmare 3 I'm not sure honestly, I saw people speculating it's Mother, Nightmare 4 is Royal.

I wanna say the third nightmare is Royal, it has the energy-erupting-from-the-ground pattern he did and it's patterns covered more horizontal distance in a run where I was a huge jerk to Royal. I wanna say the fourth nightmare is Black, its hair looks kinda like hers and it's the only nightmare you cannot solve your mechanic skills.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Please tell me I'm not the only one who didn't realize agent black was a woman the first time I saw her. :negative:

Also, agent white and his yells are totally gonna be a meme and I'm okay with that. :allears:

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Klaus88 posted:

Please tell me I'm not the only one who didn't realize agent black was a woman the first time I saw her. :negative:

Was it even possible to tell?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Tetracube posted:

Was it even possible to tell?

Iirc there's a few remarks about how some NPC's think she's a boy so it's intentional.

It's a lot more obvious in her official art though, especially the special screen you get if you finish below 3 hours 30 minutes

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Iirc there's a few remarks about how some NPC's think she's a boy so it's intentional.

It's a lot more obvious in her official art though, especially the special screen you get if you finish below 3 hours 30 minutes

What special screens are there actually, I only got the robin one and mina/samba one

Tetracube fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 26, 2018

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

If it wasn't so spoilery, another great title for the thread would be Iconoclasts: Elro and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent
near late-game spoiler question: Did the first Elro dart that hit Chrome not affect him because it hit his robo-legs or was there some other reason? he didn't seem to care that it hit him the second time even though it was clearly piercing skin at that point.. until it was too late.

some just-beat-the-game opinions: loved the artstyle, the controls felt really good and every boss fight (except for the one you have to fight as Elro) was interesting. I wish the map was more interconnected rather than being one big horizontal layout, but it wasn't a dealbreaker. I don't know how to feel about how grim the game was. Usually that sort of stuff doesn't bother me but here I got a lot of mood whiplash. The only time it felt appropriate was anything involving Black since she felt like the most well-realized character. Also even though I know he went through a lot in like 2 days I still though Elro was kind of a dick. heck, before all the bad stuff happened he still seemed overbearing.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Metroixer posted:

near late-game spoiler question: Did the first Elro dart that hit Chrome not affect him because it hit his robo-legs or was there some other reason? he didn't seem to care that it hit him the second time even though it was clearly piercing skin at that point.. until it was too late.

The Agent-killing syringes require a mixture of two chemicals. The only two people who know about this fact are Elro himself and Teegan who he told about it. Noble injected Chrome with an un-activated version of the chemical and so Chrome came to the conclusion that he was immortal. Elro (probably carrying an activated version of it on himself at all times) used a pre-activated syringe on Chrome. Him carrying an activated syringe at all times would also explain why he thought he could take on Black. Her fist-powers require relative close contact, so he could slam her with the needle. He however did not count on her having access to the secret power of Gun.

I understand why Elro is a dick, but yeah he's a dick. I love how it took killing a loving god for him to realise that he couldn't tell his sister what to do and what not to do. Also bear in mind that even before the events of the game their father died, supposedly killed by the One Concern.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Metroixer posted:

I don't know how to feel about how grim the game was. Usually that sort of stuff doesn't bother me but here I got a lot of mood whiplash.

You see the cutesy Cave Story-esque visuals and think you're in for some light-hearted little romp, and then they commence the Most Horrific Death Invitational.

e: I guess Cave Story got pretty brutal at points too but Iconoclasts is something else

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 27, 2018

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent
look, i wasnt expecting multiple dude! (s)he shot that guy!!! moments in my indie game where you smack bad guys with a big wrench. and that wasnt even the worst stuff.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Metroixer posted:

look, i wasnt expecting multiple dude! (s)he shot that guy!!! moments in my indie game where you smack bad guys with a big wrench. and that wasnt even the worst stuff.

That's actually something I really liked about the game. It's cute and colourful and has happy chiptunes music and quirky dialogue and also jesus christ she just ripped off his loving arm. I love how immediately after leaving Royal to die, you get the Saviorb pun.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

One thing I'm curious about is if there has been any information or lore about who the Reborns are or were. The fact that they're different from how the transcenders turn people (with their color scheme, powers, aesthetic, etc) and that they're kind of all over the place is bizarre. Nobel is a boss fight, but she also helps take out Chrome, though that's not necessarily an ally action if she purely works for the One Concern (with Chrome being a usurper at that point.) Mendeleev seems to talk familiarly with Mina, at least knowing who she is, but is there more to that than just knowing who the enemy is? Plus none of them have Ivory regeneration, and Mendeleev's fire powers seem unique. I can't think of who they might have been, if anyone, or if it's just a reference to a different Konjak game or anything.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I thought those fellows were just newly transcended and their powers hadn't developed enough to be able to ivory heal yet. Didn't the guy giving them orders say that? I also think they're more aligned with the Bastion than the One Concern, given that it was a Bastion soldier giving them orders. There was already a civil war brewing with the fact that the One Concern soldiers were more loyal to General Chrome than to the state, so I'm guessing they wanted to put that down before it started. As for Mendeleev's fire power being unique,
aren't all their powers unique? I suppose Ash and Nobel share stealth.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I beat it, game is good. Not stellar, but good. My main issues with it are mostly gameplay at a few sections here and there, the story and art is great.

I appreciate that Robin is just straight up a bad rear end who struts her chest out against incredible odds and is just all "NAH WE DOIN' THIS." Guy did a lot with a nearly silent protagonist, it reminds me a bit of Samus in her occasional "actually emotes" portrayals.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Gamerofthegame posted:

I beat it, game is good. Not stellar, but good. My main issues with it are mostly gameplay at a few sections here and there, the story and art is great.

I appreciate that Robin is just straight up a bad rear end who struts her chest out against incredible odds and is just all "NAH WE DOIN' THIS." Guy did a lot with a nearly silent protagonist, it reminds me a bit of Samus in her occasional "actually emotes" portrayals.

What is Robin? A mechanic. What do mechanics do? Fix problems.

No matter what the loving problem is.

I also appreciate (super endgame spoilers) the final fight in the game is against a giant alien bird mechanic, wrench and all, because as we have well established by that point mechanics are apparently the most powerful things in the universe. What else could the ultimate enemy be, really.

Easily my favorite moment in the entire game is Robin just straight up punching the alien god in the chin what a moment. Her just walking home and flopping into bed after saving the world is probably second favorite. Killed God! What a day, I'm pooped. :allears:

I really hope the soundtrack ends up on bandcamp or something because there's some killer tracks in there, especially near the end of the game. The track accompanying the fight up the side of the rocket was extremely good.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

While those moments are great, the best moment in the game is Mina with arms outstretched slow clapping.

edit: if anyone is able to get me a gif of that, that is gonna be a new avatar

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

It's only a matter of time until people figure out how to decrypt the files.

edit: Also I appreciate how the cheerful game ends with everyone being loving dead jesus christ all those pupil orphans suicide everyone in city one probably dead half of your home settlement dead DEAD DEAD I am impressed Elro didn't die too. Saved the world, took a nap. Who's living in it at this point?!

Gamerofthegame fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 27, 2018

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

What's the range on the Sleuth tweak? Will it tell me if there's a secret wall anywhere on the same screen? I'd rather not have to rub my face against every surface in the world.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Really Pants posted:

What's the range on the Sleuth tweak? Will it tell me if there's a secret wall anywhere on the same screen? I'd rather not have to rub my face against every surface in the world.

As soon as you enter a screen with a secret wall it blinks. There's no proximity indication or anything like that.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I really dig this game. The sprite work is outstanding.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

As soon as you enter a screen with a secret wall it blinks. There's no proximity indication or anything like that.

That's perfect, thanks.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Granted the original Ivory Springs game was going to have a wackier plot but imagine if Konjak kept the artstyle of it for stuff like Grey's death

Tetracube posted:

What special screens are there actually, I only got the robin one and mina/samba one

There's normal clearing which is just Robin
100% which is Mina/Samba
Finishing in less that 3:30:00 is Black looking battle ready
Low % gives you one with The Reborn girl (Least I think that's what it is, saw a screenshot but didn't notice anything too wild other than the person had low % of items)

I assume there's 100% speedrun but I'm not good enough for that

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 27, 2018

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn

Gamerofthegame posted:

It's only a matter of time until people figure out how to decrypt the files.

edit: Also I appreciate how the cheerful game ends with everyone being loving dead jesus christ all those pupil orphans suicide everyone in city one probably dead half of your home settlement dead DEAD DEAD I am impressed Elro didn't die too. Saved the world, took a nap. Who's living in it at this point?!

Was there an explanation for why the orphans killed themselves? I thought when you talked to them right after they were released, they were super happy/in awe at the world. Is it ever explained?

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

wocobob posted:

Was there an explanation for why the orphans killed themselves? I thought when you talked to them right after they were released, they were super happy/in awe at the world. Is it ever explained?

the Corners of Mother hunted them down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

SirSamVimes posted:

I thought those fellows were just newly transcended and their powers hadn't developed enough to be able to ivory heal yet. Didn't the guy giving them orders say that? I also think they're more aligned with the Bastion than the One Concern, given that it was a Bastion soldier giving them orders. There was already a civil war brewing with the fact that the One Concern soldiers were more loyal to General Chrome than to the state, so I'm guessing they wanted to put that down before it started. As for Mendeleev's fire power being unique,
aren't all their powers unique? I suppose Ash and Nobel share stealth.

They're definitely transcended, yeah. The outro would appear to imply that Nobel is Ash's daughter, at least, and we know she went in the machine. (Took me by surprise, I honestly thought that was Black for a while).

I realised about halfway through those fights that they're all mirror matches- narrative mirrors, at least. Mina fights a brash, talky girl who shoots fight. Robin gets a mute that spends half her time running around in ducts. Elro gets a big buff dude who's full of righteousness.

Meiteron posted:

mechanics are apparently the most powerful things in the universe.

Well, if the world is a machine...

Gamerofthegame posted:

The Isi are mostly still alive, I think. Long live... a slightly different breed of religious fanatic? Who also harvest ivory?

Oh dear.

Elro would survive the end of the world just out of spite, I think. Just you and him floating in space, and he goes, "I told you it was pointless".

• Locked thread