Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Feenix posted:

I'm stuck, lads.

I'm in Mina's underwater town thing. I beat that Agent, he turned into an ivory tree, and I am going around defeating soldiers. The counter says I have 2 left, but I feel like I am physically barricaded. I'm sort of in the upper left quadrant of the map and the only "exit" i can find is to drop down 2 platforms but the platform right above the bottom of the screen (effectively allowing me to drop into the room below/screen below) won't register a drop-jump. I crouch and jump and I just end up jumping.

Is this not the way? Is something bugged?

Thanks!

You should be able to freely traverse up & down the middle of the living quarters, where they had the "Sea" schematic and their save statue dedicated to the Gods of Fuckin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I love Chrome so much. I love his dumb loving rando book pullouts/speeches, I love his stupid shirtless chest, and I love that dumb pose he does constantly.

Chrome is the real hero of this story.

Elro on the other hand....never before have I turned on a character so quickly. What the -gently caress- yo.

I also love that at a certain point, everyone switches from "I'M HERE TO PROTECT ROBIN to I'M HERE TO WATCH. BECAUSE gently caress MAN. ROBIN GOT THIS..

Also why do I get the feeling I'm making things worse constantly. I just hit City One and I obviously unleashed the goo, but why do I feel I'm only further going to gently caress these people over in my quest to wrench things.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 31, 2018

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Black though.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

Black though.

I feel for her, but at the same time feel like I need another scene or two. Right now she's just been angry the whole game and hasn't explained what's up.

I get the feeling very soon she's going to exposition for me and join my party, and then she'll be my favorite character.

I mean just think about CHROME'S DUMB loving POSE. HE DOES IT CONSTANTLY. IT'S GLORIOUS. IT SHOULD BE ON EVERY PAGE. IT'S SO GOOD!

every time he does it i just bust out laughing.

I think my only complaint so far is that Samba's model could uh, maybe had some darker colored hair, or they could have had a more upfront first meeting? I could tell immediately that Black was a lady, but I thought Samba was a grandma/city elder type lady that looked out for Mina for a long time. When I went back and she talked about how she was Mina's SO basically and it was time to move on because Mina was so flighty I had a real moment there of "wait aren't you the Village Elder.....oh nope, you are the second Isi lady in the title card. Whoops."

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So just beat it. I have a different thought on the ending.

Ivory isn't mined. It's not like gas or petrol. It's something that grows in all living things. It's something that can only be refined from living things.

Thus if you wanted to GET Ivory en masse, you'd want to set up garden worlds. Places that would allow for a lot of life to germinate and build off of, that you could then go to at a future date to get Ivory from. A farm world basically, one you collect from once every xyz years. That way you don't burn out worlds, you basically crop rotate multiple worlds to keep them all at peak.

I think the humans threw a wrench in the works basically. The world wasn't natural, it was a built world by the Bird people to get a whole bunch of Ivory after it fully germinated. Instead we started to use it for ourselves, and we stopped the planet from filling up the tanks basically.

The problem wasn't that the planet was running out of Ivory, it's that they were consuming far too much Ivory for it to replenish itself naturally and they knew the Bird People would be coming back at xyz time to collect. And that the Bird people wouldn't be happy/would probably end the world in the process.

I bet the blue gunk/collectors were basically the farm equipment. The blue gunk seems to extract Ivory from stuff when it's attached, and seems designed to extract Ivory. It's probably the killswitch/return for the Ivory Farm analogy. Planet gets fluffed up and full of life, it spreads and propagates and creates a lot of Ivory, blue gunk gets sent up and "refines" the life on the surface turning it into Ivory and pumping it back into the center of the planet, then the ship flies in and gets it's Ivory pickup to bring back to the homeworld. Then you set the cycle back up and come back however many years later.

It only leaves with two questions. First off did we land here by ourselves by accident, or did the Bird People seed us on the world to act as caretakers/gardeners/bait for future Ivory production. Secondly why/how did the One Concern know so much about the Bird People/how they handled their farming scheme. Did a similar thing happen to Earth we just barely escaped? Did we watch it happen to a different farm world?

Now time to see about these "endgame side quests" y'all talked about and get my 100%. And then maybe Challenge Mode....

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
The entire ending bit was extremely good. Bird mechanic going "What the hell have y'all been doing here?! Look at this poo poo, look what I got to deal with, I'm tearing this poo poo down and starting over" was great. Getting to just dump Royal on the floor and gently caress off was amazing. Robin literally just going to bed after killing the final boss was fabulous.

Elro was The Worst Character. I swear to god, he literally just exists to whine and to tell you to stop doing things and just give up. And he took away my bossfight with Chrome. At least Royal tried to fix things, even if he was naive and stupid and childish.
Doesn't help that the one bit where Elro was playable was the worst 5 minutes of the game. At least seeing Mina shoot him was satisfying.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Rookersh posted:

So just beat it. I have a different thought on the ending.

Ivory isn't mined. It's not like gas or petrol. It's something that grows in all living things. It's something that can only be refined from living things.

Thus if you wanted to GET Ivory en masse, you'd want to set up garden worlds. Places that would allow for a lot of life to germinate and build off of, that you could then go to at a future date to get Ivory from. A farm world basically, one you collect from once every xyz years. That way you don't burn out worlds, you basically crop rotate multiple worlds to keep them all at peak.

I think the humans threw a wrench in the works basically. The world wasn't natural, it was a built world by the Bird people to get a whole bunch of Ivory after it fully germinated. Instead we started to use it for ourselves, and we stopped the planet from filling up the tanks basically.

The problem wasn't that the planet was running out of Ivory, it's that they were consuming far too much Ivory for it to replenish itself naturally and they knew the Bird People would be coming back at xyz time to collect. And that the Bird people wouldn't be happy/would probably end the world in the process.

I bet the blue gunk/collectors were basically the farm equipment. The blue gunk seems to extract Ivory from stuff when it's attached, and seems designed to extract Ivory. It's probably the killswitch/return for the Ivory Farm analogy. Planet gets fluffed up and full of life, it spreads and propagates and creates a lot of Ivory, blue gunk gets sent up and "refines" the life on the surface turning it into Ivory and pumping it back into the center of the planet, then the ship flies in and gets it's Ivory pickup to bring back to the homeworld. Then you set the cycle back up and come back however many years later.

It only leaves with two questions. First off did we land here by ourselves by accident, or did the Bird People seed us on the world to act as caretakers/gardeners/bait for future Ivory production. Secondly why/how did the One Concern know so much about the Bird People/how they handled their farming scheme. Did a similar thing happen to Earth we just barely escaped? Did we watch it happen to a different farm world?

Now time to see about these "endgame side quests" y'all talked about and get my 100%. And then maybe Challenge Mode....

There's datamined dialogue that explicitly states that the world does indeed generate ivory, but konjak stated that unused dialogue is not canon so that's not true confirmation. I definitely agree with the theory though.

I'm pretty sure that the humans were not deliberately seeded. We see two vessels/arks that people turned up in, and the technology is completely different to what we've seen of birb tech (planet spines, the Starworm). Also, I don't think the One Concern knew anything about the birbs. They knew a bit about the technology, but only that which was already on the planet itself.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

There's datamined dialogue that explicitly states that the world does indeed generate ivory, but konjak stated that unused dialogue is not canon so that's not true confirmation. I definitely agree with the theory though.

I'm pretty sure that the humans were not deliberately seeded. We see two vessels/arks that people turned up in, and the technology is completely different to what we've seen of birb tech (planet spines, the Starworm). Also, I don't think the One Concern knew anything about the birbs. They knew a bit about the technology, but only that which was already on the planet itself.

They say it still, just indirectly.

All life is Ivory. As life is born it brings new Ivory. So that means as it dies, that Ivory goes into the planet. Give it 500-1000 years and suddenly you have enough Ivory in the planet to drain for a crazy space Empire. Everything gets reset then you do it again 500-1000 years later.

The very fact life creates Ivory by living means any ecosystem becomes an Ivory generator.

Once it's time to recycle the planet, you flip the Blue Switch and the goo goes up and consumes the remaining surface Ivory/Reseeds the planet, then goes back to the Core to chill out.

Genius really.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Mymla posted:

The entire ending bit was extremely good. Bird mechanic going "What the hell have y'all been doing here?! Look at this poo poo, look what I got to deal with, I'm tearing this poo poo down and starting over" was great. Getting to just dump Royal on the floor and gently caress off was amazing. Robin literally just going to bed after killing the final boss was fabulous.

Elro was The Worst Character. I swear to god, he literally just exists to whine and to tell you to stop doing things and just give up. And he took away my bossfight with Chrome. At least Royal tried to fix things, even if he was naive and stupid and childish.
Doesn't help that the one bit where Elro was playable was the worst 5 minutes of the game. At least seeing Mina shoot him was satisfying.

Elro is a broken man who had his father murdered, hosed things up in a heat of the moment decision to avenge that father and failed to protect his wife and daughter in a consequence of it while surviving himself. He then failed to put stop Robin on her wild quest to save an absolute unknown person, therein making her some illegal terrorist and also incidentally setting up the downfall of the world. By the end the world was ending and he just witnessed the complete collapse of society, including all those he had been working for. Teegan and Robin are both the only people he has left at all, with the apocalypse just around the corner and some fuckwit jackass says "Let's fly to the moon, Robin!"

Elro was pretty well written, given that he is a man who only has his little sister to live for anymore and that little sister runs off to fight the government, multiple gokus, the pope and god with the world ending in like five minutes just to help some people.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Gamerofthegame posted:

Elro is a broken man who had his father murdered, hosed things up in a heat of the moment decision to avenge that father and failed to protect his wife and daughter in a consequence of it while surviving himself. He then failed to put stop Robin on her wild quest to save an absolute unknown person, therein making her some illegal terrorist and also incidentally setting up the downfall of the world. By the end the world was ending and he just witnessed the complete collapse of society, including all those he had been working for. Teegan and Robin are both the only people he has left at all, with the apocalypse just around the corner and some fuckwit jackass says "Let's fly to the moon, Robin!"

Elro was pretty well written, given that he is a man who only has his little sister to live for anymore and that little sister runs off to fight the government, multiple gokus, the pope and god with the world ending in like five minutes just to help some people.

Why do you think that Polro was murdered? He couldn't have been killed by penance, because his house is still standing. The regime openly executes people, so why does the report say his death was an accident? I honestly think that he was just doing dangerous work as a mechanic for the Concern and died in an accident, which translated in Elro's head to "killed by the Concern", making his flipping out and murdering Grey even more tragic. Everything that happened to Elro is because he couldn't control his grief and anger and lashed out at the nearest possible target.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

He's still a loving idiot even if he has a reason to be a loving idiot.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

Gamerofthegame posted:

The thing is his sister has already taken down agents and infiltrated one concern bases all that and more which means she is more than capable of taking on the starworm or whatever. Even if she ends up failing, it was her choice to do it. Rather than telling her to wait in her house to die, she wants to take a chance then he should just honor her wishes at this point. I can understand how he's so depressed and broken because of all that happens to him but he's still really dislikable to me. Everyone else at least tried to do something about the situation they gotten themselves into instead of just whining and refusing to push the button like a child. Even Royal who hosed up the entire world is willing to fly to the moon for a chance. It didn't help but he didn't sit down and give up until hit by the beam.

On another note, after playing some challenge mode. I realized the hardest part of the game isn't bosses, its the stray enemies or traps while traveling. You're making your way though a dungeon and something pops out then boops you slightly. You explode then flop over dead and have to restart all the way back at the save point. Bosses have set patterns and even if you fail, you restart right at the boss so its barely a time loss. I'm still having plenty of fun still though.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Black and Chrome are great villains.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Elro is actually right about going to the moon, mind. As soon as Royal goes, "Let's go to the moon, the Starworm will listen to me!" it is immediately obvious that no, the worm is not going to listen to him, the worm doesn't give a gently caress about any of this. Because this is a videogame, we have an expectation that if we follow the story and beat all the bosses then everything will turn out fine- that even though the mission's stated goal is nonsense, something unexpected will happen and we'll save the day anyway. Instead, Robin has her one solitary unambiguous defeat in the entire game: she is forced to kill Black, and leave Royal to die. And it accomplishes nothing- absolutely nothing that happens on the moon mission contributes to the eventual defeat of the Starworm.

Elro's "this is ridiculous, I'm not sending my sister to the moon" is the rational response here.

Going into the pit to fight the worm is similarly irrational. Even if she can kill it- and no, nothing up to this point suggests she's capable of killing Space God (the opposite, if anything- the entire game is about idiots thinking they have it all worked out and loving things up further)- the planet is already falling apart from overuse of ivory, and there's nothing to indicate that killing the worm will solve that. That it does is a pure miracle.

Which is not to say he's not a dick for trying to control Robin's actions.

e: vvvv oh, right. Yeah, that totally slipped my mind. Though in the alternate universe where we don't go to the moon, Royal probably comes with us to the pit...

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 1, 2018

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent
endgame stuff they didn't have to necessarily go to the moon to do it but if it wasn't for that trip then royal would have never tried pulling the worm with his ivory magic and revealed the one weak point that robin could exploit. they managed to get something done, just in the most inefficient way possible.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Autonomous Monster posted:

Elro is actually right about going to the moon, mind. As soon as Royal goes, "Let's go to the moon, the Starworm will listen to me!" it is immediately obvious that no, the worm is not going to listen to him, the worm doesn't give a gently caress about any of this. Because this is a videogame, we have an expectation that if we follow the story and beat all the bosses then everything will turn out fine- that even though the mission's stated goal is nonsense, something unexpected will happen and we'll save the day anyway. Instead, Robin has her one solitary unambiguous defeat in the entire game: she is forced to kill Black, and leave Royal to die. And it accomplishes nothing- absolutely nothing that happens on the moon mission contributes to the eventual defeat of the Starworm.

Elro's "this is ridiculous, I'm not sending my sister to the moon" is the rational response here.

Going into the pit to fight the worm is similarly irrational. Even if she can kill it- and no, nothing up to this point suggests she's capable of killing Space God (the opposite, if anything- the entire game is about idiots thinking they have it all worked out and loving things up further)- the planet is already falling apart from overuse of ivory, and there's nothing to indicate that killing the worm will solve that. That it does is a pure miracle.

Which is not to say he's not a dick for trying to control Robin's actions.

e: vvvv oh, right. Yeah, that totally slipped my mind. Though in the alternate universe where we don't go to the moon, Royal probably comes with us to the pit...

Their options were "go to moon, attempt to stop this thing which we believe is coming to destroy the planet for our sins" or "go home, wait for death". The rational option is not the second one.
And there are plenty of things to indicate that simply not using ivory for a bit would stop the planet from falling apart. The main thing that was ending the world was the government's policy of outlawing any alternate energy sources on penalty of death.

Also, getting to leave Royal to die is a victory, not a defeat.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Do we know why One Concern outlawed alternate fuels? It seems like a weird move if they knew anything about the actual workings of the planet.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Really Pants posted:

Do we know why One Concern outlawed alternate fuels? It seems like a weird move if they knew anything about the actual workings of the planet.

I figure it's a case of
"Ivory is the only thing that works, Ivory is religion because of that, without it we'd be nothing."
"Uh can't we just use shockwoods electricity"
-gunshot-
"Believe in Ivory and mother y'all."

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Really Pants posted:

Do they actually outlaw them? I'm starting to forget details.

In this note their concerns are purely economic and military:

The shockwoods in particular I think I remember it being mentioned that the energy generated there was a byproduct of the native ivory and was already declining.

Eventually we're going to have to stop with the spoiler tags, cause uhhh...

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Really Pants posted:

Maintaining the regime's power, I imagine.

Autonomous Monster posted:

Do they actually outlaw them? I'm starting to forget details.

In this note their concerns are purely economic and military:

The shockwoods in particular I think I remember it being mentioned that the energy generated there was a byproduct of the native ivory and was already declining.

Eventually we're going to have to stop with the spoiler tags, cause uhhh...

I mean in the room where you fight Nobel, the Chemico Contra were all locked up because they were caught with their experiments.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Alright, that all makes sense.

What made them pick the triangle as their holy icon, though?

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent
naturally, it represents the holy trinity: mother, son, and holy worm

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
Doesn't magic all conjure up magical triangles? Maybe they saw the worm casting or something and thought it was a holy symbol.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I wish the bonus stuff wasn't so archaic.

Like the Mothers Helpers thing isn't so difficult outside of the last Pupil, but you'd never know to go looking for it unless you got told there is endgame content before the final boss. And it's so oddly placed.

Fitzroy was SUPER COOL and very interesting backstory stuff, but holy poo poo I'd have never done that quest without looking up the locations.

It also bleeds into the Tweaks. The most interesting Tweaks are only usable on the Final Boss basically, because you won't be able to/can't go after them until after you beat the game. Unless you grab them for a NG+ run, but even then that's not the ideal set to use them.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I agree about the latter but the former wasn't hard to figure out. I got all the notes while cleaning up treasure and then I just had to figure out what they meant. As soon as you find one note you know there's something at least. With the other one your only clue is the underwater room.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I 100%ed this in 16 hours. Really enjoyable game!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Is Leticia missable, or can I go around and bug her for all the Fitzroy clues at the end of the game?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

You can do it at the very end

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
When can you start looking for Leticia? I found the first hideout early in the game but she wasn't there at the time.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah I don't think she even starts appearing till near the end. At least nearer than the first time you're in the desert.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

You can look for her the first chance you get as long as it's in order. (You'll have access to all hideouts once you reach Darland Ascent) That's what I did over the course of my challenge run and found them all by the mid game.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 3, 2018

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The soundtrack is now on Bandcamp! The most important thing about this is the fact that the final boss track is named Castle Doctrine :allears:

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Man, burying a fist full of seeds into someone's intestines is the most radical way to kill things. I appreciate that it keeps happening.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
This was a great game but it didn't live up the years I waited for it. I agree with this review mainly. I'm glad it finally came out and I don't fault Konjak. I think he never intended to finish it past the demo but something obligated him.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

temple posted:

This was a great game but it didn't live up the years I waited for it. I agree with this review mainly. I'm glad it finally came out and I don't fault Konjak. I think he never intended to finish it past the demo but something obligated him.

I wasn't disappointed by the game because I didn't spend the past decade getting hyped for it, I literally heard about it for the first time two or three days before release.

I do agree with parts of that review, having to stand on top of blocks to pick them up is a bit weird and clunky and unintuitive for instance, and it's pretty clear that it was written by someone whose first language isn't english, but on the whole I think the game is very solid.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Oh neat, this game is finally out. I hope this isn't as tight on the platforming as Celeste because while I love that game it is destroying my loving fingertips.

Interesting to see so much black bar. I'm curious for the story now. :cool:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

temple posted:

To me that review was just a case of "wellp, John Walker does it again."

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

SirSamVimes posted:

To me that review was just a case of "wellp, John Walker does it again."

Yeah, he didn't like Hollow Knight so his opinions are awful and don't count for anything.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I can understand his complaints about the controls (the decision to have Robin's overhead wrench swing suddenly be a thrust while in the air was maddening at times) and the sometimes inscrutable nature of how to handle some enemies and bosses. But the stuff about dying over and over on some rooms seemed bizzare, at least insofar as the only time I recall getting frustrated in that sense was the gauntlet as you climb up the tower, which John apparently didn't get to. And I never really felt unsure of where to go, even at times where the game was extremely unspecific about the next steps (which is a fair criticism, sometimes you get a question mark pointing you in a direction, other times, nope), most of the time I'd just think back to some big empty space I'd seen while exploring before and sure enough, that'd be the destination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Mindblast posted:

Oh neat, this game is finally out. I hope this isn't as tight on the platforming as Celeste because while I love that game it is destroying my loving fingertips.

Interesting to see so much black bar. I'm curious for the story now. :cool:

Celeste seems to be pretty meat boy in terms of platforming, this game is nowhere near that punishing.

Reveilled posted:

I can understand his complaints about the controls (the decision to have Robin's overhead wrench swing suddenly be a thrust while in the air was maddening at times) and the sometimes inscrutable nature of how to handle some enemies and bosses. But the stuff about dying over and over on some rooms seemed bizzare, at least insofar as the only time I recall getting frustrated in that sense was the gauntlet as you climb up the tower, which John apparently didn't get to. And I never really felt unsure of where to go, even at times where the game was extremely unspecific about the next steps (which is a fair criticism, sometimes you get a question mark pointing you in a direction, other times, nope), most of the time I'd just think back to some big empty space I'd seen while exploring before and sure enough, that'd be the destination.

Outside of bosses I honestly think I only died two or three times, one of which was the final gauntlet where they require you to swap goo off an enemy, which I hadn't needed to do by that point... and actually, the first time I tried it I must have missed or something because it didn't work, so it threw me off, and at least two were drowning trying to explore the underwater area postgame.

But yeah, I also didn't hear of this game until relatively recently. Or rather, I heard about it when the trailer was released, then basically forgot about it until about a week before release when half the streamers I watch were playing the demo all of a sudden.

• Locked thread