Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Caedar posted:

Hey all! I'm the rules editor / usability dev for Leder Games, and I'd be glad to answer any Qs you have here, through PM, or on BGG. As far as the walkthrough sheets go, the game does indeed prompt you to start with certain cards and set up in a certain way, as detailed on page 3 of the learn-to-play guide and the walkthrough setup cards.

Phone posting and don’t have the stuff here to look at, but quick question since you’re here. The Root expansion includes vagrant stuff, but that’s all included in the main game (except it looks like different character cards) is that to have two vagrants or what’s the deal? Doesn’t seem to be mentioned in the rule book (though I am the one that apparently didn’t see the info about what cars to give out for the learn to play that Nashona and Dr Gargunza mentioned.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Section 9 posted:

Phone posting and don’t have the stuff here to look at, but quick question since you’re here. The Root expansion includes vagrant stuff, but that’s all included in the main game (except it looks like different character cards) is that to have two vagrants or what’s the deal? Doesn’t seem to be mentioned in the rule book (though I am the one that apparently didn’t see the info about what cars to give out for the learn to play that Nashona and Dr Gargunza mentioned.)

Yeah, it comes with a second Vagabond board and new character cards for them and the item tiles for playing with 2 in a game. They share drawn quest cards but otherwise operate independently.

Now who is going to play a 2 player vagabond vs vagabond game and report back? :v:

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Bottom Liner posted:

I heard a lot of good things about this but never saw it, need to try it out.

I probably should have completely missed it - I didn't know about it going into the convention, and they were set up in a corner of Hall A. Luckily, they were right by the door and I went by a bunch - enough to talk to the people once or twice, then grab some generics and get into a game, then grab some friends and get them into a game.

They sell it really well, too. One of their helpers just found out about the game like 3 weeks ago at CharCon in West Virginia and came to Gen Con to help them demo it.

Oh, and another highlight - Nemesis of Moles's dungeon world game. Holy poo poo. (And ORC STABR, but I didn't buy or play that. Sorry.)

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Regarding Root, is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTN1mLAHySs the best current playthrough video? We played one game on the fly, but I want to make sure I'm doing things right. It was a lot of fun but the Eyrie ran away with the game pretty easily it seemed.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Caedar posted:

Hey all! I'm the rules editor / usability dev for Leder Games, and I'd be glad to answer any Qs you have here, through PM, or on BGG. As far as the walkthrough sheets go, the game does indeed prompt you to start with certain cards and set up in a certain way, as detailed on page 3 of the learn-to-play guide and the walkthrough setup cards.

Thanks for responding. As Slimy Hog also noted, my group probably missed the crucial bits in the rules (our excuse was "playing in the big open-play table area with lots of crowd noise and Fantasy Flight announcers calling tournament results every 2-3 minutes"). Once we got past the confusion, everything clicked into place and we all grasped the mechanics.

So we're all really excited about playing again, which I think speaks pretty highly for Root. Thanks again!

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

CellBlock posted:

Oh, and Jeremy Hambly got punched, which was great.

(I don't really follow Magic so I had to look that guy up, and I feel poorer for the experience. Unlike Hambly, whose GoFundMe has already accrued over $15k in wingnut welfare from the other assorted troglodytes in the gaming division of the He-Man Woman-Haters Club. :smith: )

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Even though I doubt he actually got punched, $15,000 is chump change in the shitlord welfare department. I bet he will spend it all on a suit of anti-woman armor that does not even work.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, it comes with a second Vagabond board and new character cards for them and the item tiles for playing with 2 in a game. They share drawn quest cards but otherwise operate independently.

Now who is going to play a 2 player vagabond vs vagabond game and report back? :v:

What this guy said. :)

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Thanks for responding. As Slimy Hog also noted, my group probably missed the crucial bits in the rules (our excuse was "playing in the big open-play table area with lots of crowd noise and Fantasy Flight announcers calling tournament results every 2-3 minutes"). Once we got past the confusion, everything clicked into place and we all grasped the mechanics.

So we're all really excited about playing again, which I think speaks pretty highly for Root. Thanks again!

Glad to hear it! We're all very happy with the response.

OgreNoah posted:

Regarding Root, is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTN1mLAHySs the best current playthrough video? We played one game on the fly, but I want to make sure I'm doing things right. It was a lot of fun but the Eyrie ran away with the game pretty easily it seemed.

Yes, this video is the best currently. Though it does take a while to get off the ground, it's very thorough!

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Dr. Gargunza posted:

(I don't really follow Magic so I had to look that guy up, and I feel poorer for the experience. Unlike Hambly, whose GoFundMe has already accrued over $15k in wingnut welfare from the other assorted troglodytes in the gaming division of the He-Man Woman-Haters Club. :smith: )

His post “attack” video is worth watching just to see him cry about buttons popping off his favorite shirt.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Caedar posted:

That's fair. The idea, as outlined in the learn-to-play, is that one player has read the rules and can answer such "why" questions as they come up, since everyone is going to have different questions. The walkthrough sheet alone is not sufficient to teach both the mechanics and the strategic reasoning behind Root, since it's a rather intricate game. Additionally, the faction overview cards and the faction board backs give more grounding in why a faction does what it does.

That's how it worked out when I demoed it but it sounds like not everyone had that experience. Our board actually wasn't set up quite exactly right so we had to deviate from the walkthrough a bit which required more explanations. I also tend to ask a ton of questions when demoing games which probably helped.

I ended up picking up the game and the expansion since it sounded like that would really expand the options for doing 2P with my girlfriend. We've played the base game a few times as cats vs. birds and she has kicked my rear end every time with both factions :cry:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

theironjef posted:

I bought a few copies of the defunct Rifts CCG starter deluxe box, walked over to Kevin to get him to sign it, and after asking where I got it and what I paid for it, he sent one of his people to go buy the store out of the rest of them.

Ha ha, wish I'd known it was around, I didn't make nearly as many foolish GenCon decisions as necessary this year.

I had him sign Sovietski but I've been getting the impression he's perfectly aware of who I am. (It's on my badge, so it's not exactly a Holmesian mystery.) He still signed it, mind, so he's a trooper.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I’m making a ~15 min “Learn Root” video so I’ll post it here in a day or so.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

OgreNoah posted:

Marquise can only use the recruit action once a turn?

checks big rule book

I think that could have been made clearer on the Marquise's board.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

checks big rule book

I think it mentioned it on the recruit action, i didnt catch it until we hit towards the end

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

I’m making a ~15 min “Learn Root” video so I’ll post it here in a day or so.

Man, we did so much poo poo wrong every time we played. The Alliance starts with 3 random supporters!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Carteret posted:

Man, we did so much poo poo wrong every time we played. The Alliance starts with 3 random supporters!

Shhhhh. To be fair I learned by a prepro copy at the last con by their demo team. 🙁

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Ha ha, wish I'd known it was around, I didn't make nearly as many foolish GenCon decisions as necessary this year.

I had him sign Sovietski but I've been getting the impression he's perfectly aware of who I am. (It's on my badge, so it's not exactly a Holmesian mystery.) He still signed it, mind, so he's a trooper.

He knew us by voice, which was a trip.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

theironjef posted:

He knew us by voice, which was a trip.

The weirdest goddamn thing was running into a listener of my podcast from Australia at Gen Con 2014 completely at random.

Like, statistically that shouldn't have happened because Underdiscussion only has like 100 listeners.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

8one6 posted:

The weirdest goddamn thing was running into a listener of my podcast from Australia at Gen Con 2014 completely at random.

Like, statistically that shouldn't have happened because Underdiscussion only has like 100 listeners.

Hah, we did the same thing this year! Except it was on purpose and he brought us vegemite. Honestly, that stuff's not bad. Not sure I'm really into soy sauce on my toast, but whatever.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

8one6 posted:

I've had "Are you the guy that does those reviews?!" more than once even though I'd presume my readership is in the dozens at best. I know some stuff like the Pathfinder review has gotten wider distribution thanks to Reddit and the like, but it's always weird because I'm really blind to what my audience is out there; I don't do much promotion to speak of.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

OgreNoah posted:

It was a lot of fun but the Eyrie ran away with the game pretty easily it seemed.

I just played for the first time last night and you really need to go and fight the Eyrie and make them go to turmoil. They are extremely powerful if they have Bird cards in the decree, but then they also lose points for each one. It’s not hard to identify the best way to stop them if you study the decree long enough.

I won as woodland alliance, because everyone was ignoring my sympathy tokens and I was able to craft one of the “friends of X” cards to have mouse assassins kill everyone in their sleep for a ton of points and then run around turning my warriors into sleeper cells

E: the best part of root is using inflammatory speech for this cutesy game. Vive le forest!

Fellis fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Aug 8, 2018

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Things I've learned: warriors don't score points, only cardboard tokens and buildings do. You can attack sympathy tokens. Alliance start with 3 supporters.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Carteret posted:

Things I've learned: warriors don't score points, only cardboard tokens and buildings do. You can attack sympathy tokens. Alliance start with 3 supporters.

That's something we did wrong. We thought every time someone removed a warrior from the map, that was a VP.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

SirPhoebos posted:

checks big rule book

Texibus
May 18, 2008
How about timing of playing cards in root? I can't recall the exact names but they are both used in battle, one causes you to negate all attack damage from dice and one adds an extra hit.

When do you need to declare when you are using these type of cards? Like can the attacker wait to play his card after the defender declares or vice versa.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Texibus posted:

How about timing of playing cards in root? I can't recall the exact names but they are both used in battle, one causes you to negate all attack damage from dice and one adds an extra hit.

When do you need to declare when you are using these type of cards? Like can the attacker wait to play his card after the defender declares or vice versa.

If you mean Ambush, it is played by the defender when they are attacked, and the attacker can respond with their own ambush to negate it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhEq2Ol0Vo8

I'm pretty sure I got it all covered. Only mistake I made was saying that tokens count towards dominance (it's only warriors and buildings) which I noted below

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I stole these from the groupme for posterity.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
I think some of those people are dead. Especially that last guy.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

there were SO MANY this year

and some were just outside on the concrete!

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I was basically hallucinating from exhaustion while walking through the Expo Hall late Saturday because I was deathly worried if I sat down, I'd fall asleep and get posted here.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

https://leder-games.myshopify.com/

Root and the expansion are available for purchase on Leder's site now if you missed either at the convention. The base game will be available for $40 retail later this month but the expansion won't arrive for a while.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
At least that one dude chose to pass out in a chair instead of the gross-rear end carpeted floor. It's almost normal looking.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

That expansion is damned tempting. I skipped it at the time cause I didn't know if I'd like it but hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Any idea how much it'll be whenever it hits retail?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

enigmahfc posted:

At least that one dude chose to pass out in a chair instead of the gross-rear end carpeted floor. It's almost normal looking.

And I want to point out that while we look similar, that's not me!

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Looks like the expansion is sold out.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Pez posted:

I think some of those people are dead. Especially that last guy.

Legend has it he's still there, merged with the floor. A mountain that must be scaled to traverse that hallway

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

enigmahfc posted:

I chose to pass out in a bed.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Bottom Liner posted:

https://leder-games.myshopify.com/

Root and the expansion are available for purchase on Leder's site now if you missed either at the convention. The base game will be available for $40 retail later this month but the expansion won't arrive for a while.

Is there any reason to buy it now instead of just waiting for it to hit retail for cheaper? I assume this is just more money directly into their pockets (not saying that's a bad thing)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

As far as I know the only difference in retail is the expansion won’t come with as many card holders