Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I did a battle tech boot camp by myself on Friday and the guy I got paired up with was dozing off the entire time. I wanted to take a picture so bad, but it was too risky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

One of my group was falling asleep during a game of Kobolds Ate My Baby (this was our first event after the Brew Bus), so we would wait until her head dropped and say, “(All Hail) King Torg”. For those that don’t know whenever this is said, all players at the table must immediately shout “ALL HAIL KING TORG!” or have a chance of dying on the spot.

By far the best part of that game was our friend rousing from sleep and trying to get her mouth to get out the correct words in time.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

sportsgenius86 posted:

I was basically hallucinating from exhaustion while walking through the Expo Hall late Saturday because I was deathly worried if I sat down, I'd fall asleep and get posted here.
Thank you SportsGenius86, your post is so very good, and now we all see what our hard work has accomplished.

... Also, speaking obviously to the post above mine, I am saddened to finally hear a story about someone playing the only game that came up for years at Gen-Con when searching for TORG games. Though now that TORG is back it is not quite so sad I suppose. And that does sound like a reasonably well-themed mechanic.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Dr. Quarex posted:

... Also, speaking obviously to the post above mine, I am saddened to finally hear a story about someone playing the only game that came up for years at Gen-Con when searching for TORG games. Though now that TORG is back it is not quite so sad I suppose. And that does sound like a reasonably well-themed mechanic.

I also noticed a decent number of people walking around with TORG merchandise during my exhibitor hall sorties, and for a few minutes I thought I was back in the 90's in my hometown game-and-comics shop/Greyhound ticket broker (they're still open!)

Also weird and nostalgic: At least one Chessex booth was selling modules for Skyrealms of Jorune, a game I saw like three ads for in Dragon Magazine back in the late 80's and never actually played (though it looked...kinda cool?). I'd completely forgotten that Chessex picked up that license for the 3rd edition. I meant to ask if they were bringing it back, but the Dork Tide swelled and my merch-buddy finished buying dice and pulled me to another booth.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I picked up the TORG book because I was interested, having not actually played or did much with TORG before, just to find out it's got some bizarre card draw system? It wasn't entirely clear on whether the game worked well without the cards or if there was some way to substitute out the special cards for something else but whatever, no big deal. I was extremely amused when I opened it and saw a table explaining the status tokens or whatever and saw my favorite status effect in history: Stymied, followed by its bigger brother, Very Stymied.

I also picked up Embers of the Forgotten Kingdom because I was interested in the theme and art, and I'm pretty happy with that purchase because it's giving me some inspiration for running a D&D game at some point. When I bought it I didn't realize it was just a lore/setting fluff book and had no mechanics to it but I'm not bothered by it. I am however bothered by the fact that after digging into the setting lore a bit it sounds like the setting's royalty has been based on centuries and centuries of incest? I suppose that's the risk of buying Kickstarted books though.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Glagha posted:

after digging into the setting lore a bit it sounds like the setting's royalty has been based on centuries and centuries of incest?
Oh, so it's England, then.

:downsrim:

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Ilor posted:

Oh, so it's England, then.

:downsrim:

I mean true but at least in old timey royalty they were mostly just marrying cousins and poo poo. According to the lore of this setting the same fae queen has been in power for centuries and the human kings have been countless generations of her own children. The eldest son becomes king then his son becomes king but the queen is always the same person so there sure is a lot of hosed up family relations going on. Like it's dropped in there as an afterthought so I think the writers didn't realize the implication? Either that or it's supposed to be mitigated by the fact that they have this whole ritual where the new king gets burned up in a fire and rises from the ashes so I guess he might technically be reincarnated as a different person? But then one of the kings who is a major plot character is referred to by the same name both before and after he takes the throne so that implies he's exactly the same and look it's weird.

Basically RPGs are gross and we're all stained by association.

I really like the dark soulsesque setting though and the weirdness just makes it more alien I guess.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop
Hey did anyone here order Root from their store after missing it at the con, and if so did they get it yet? I ordered on Saturday, and their Twitter said it would ship this week, but no word yet.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop

eonblue174 posted:

Hey did anyone here order Root from their store after missing it at the con, and if so did they get it yet? I ordered on Saturday, and their Twitter said it would ship this week, but no word yet.

Update: it came

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
The kickstarter for Bee Lives is up! Go buy yourself some bees so we can all play it at Gen Con next year together in a massive bee off.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/580070528/bee-lives-we-will-only-know-summer/

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Poor guys gamed too hard

https://www.theguardian.com/artandd...uk-high-fashion

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I've actually been that guy asleep on the floor of a Japanese train station overnight. I was visiting friends in Roppongi one night and caught the last JR train out to Kashiwa, only to discover that the local line to which I was transferring had already shut down for the night. Seeing a few other dudes similarly sleeping on the floor, I deemed it socially acceptable and racked out myself until the next morning. Slept like a baby, and I wasn't even drunk. When in Rome (or Tokyo, as the case may be)...

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Renewed to Indy until 2023!

Woopwoopwoop

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
Badges for 2019 are officially up for sale.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
oh no that means it is new thread time

THAT IS O.K., IT IS ALWAYS FUN ONCE I GET STARTED

I will just use that photo of the priest at the Cosplay Deviants booth every time I need a picture for anything

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
That picture should be the only thing in the op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
HEY Y'ALL

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3880695