Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Clanpot Shake posted:

ffffff I have an all-day Twilight Imperium game scheduled for the 11th. How long does booking take? I booked way late the last (and only) time.

if only you had a magic rectangle that could connect you to the entire sum of human information

but as far as i am aware no such device exists.

- Sent from my iPhone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Good luck to you all for registration this weekend. I'll be doing the housing lottery for exhibitors this year. I really hope it is on a different circle of hell than the general lottery is.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Clanpot Shake posted:

ffffff I have an all-day Twilight Imperium game scheduled for the 11th. How long does booking take? I booked way late the last (and only) time.

I'd estimate 5-15 minutes. You'll get an email on Saturday that'll tell you the exact time you need to log on Sunday.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I remembered that AAA is also a travel agency and can get hotels and such but I've never used my membership for that.

Anyone know if it's better/worse than the housing lotto on average?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Thread gets even better when viewed through that stickied "what the hell is this and why does it turn the Forums sexy" stickied GBS thread link

Syntaxed
Feb 20, 2004
I got my reg time... 9:05 PM eastern. Why couldn’t it be AM?

:negative:

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Yeah, mine is 4:53 PM. I’m glad I got a backup like 6 months ago.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

quote:

Sunday, February 11 at 12:01 PM Eastern

Get rekt, scrubs.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
In related news, what's the optimal min-max hotel?

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency last year, which I've been in a few times and like, and breakfast is fairly cheap and actually pretty decent from the attached shops. Though, the parking costs made me have to pick a garage a few blocks away (which was fine, all things considered).

But, I know Goons wound up camping out a lot in the JW Marriot bar and open gaming rooms, so I'm strongly considering that.

Any strong feelings on any of the nearby hotels?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
The Westin is pretty nice, no complaints there. We were in the Marriot last year and the renovations kinda sucked so hopefully those are done now.

Avenging Dentist posted:

Yeah, mine is 4:53 PM. I’m glad I got a backup like 6 months ago.

Ha, mine's at 4:01pm! Ha ha... ha... :smithicide:

BlackIronHeart fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Feb 10, 2018

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.
Mine is at 4:59, which is a 5 1/2 hour improvement from last year, but yeah.....

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
I got 2:04pm, does this mean a chance this year?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I talked to the friend I'm going with and we're hoping for an airport room. It's farther away than the other years we went to Gencon but affordable and has breakfast. But with my almost 6pm time I'm probably hosed aren't I ):

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Checking now, there's hotels available in Southport for reasonable prices still. It's right off I65 and they have a Scotty's and whatnot to drink at.

My group got a 1:00pm, 2:04pm, 9pm, 10pm and 11pm. Between the first two hopefully we'll be able to get 2 downtown rooms. :pray:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

quote:

Sunday, February 11 at 8:08 PM Eastern

:negative:

Toshimo posted:

Get rekt, scrubs.

So, uh, hey, you need a roommate or anything? :shobon:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Toshimo posted:

In related news, what's the optimal min-max hotel?

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency last year, which I've been in a few times and like, and breakfast is fairly cheap and actually pretty decent from the attached shops. Though, the parking costs made me have to pick a garage a few blocks away (which was fine, all things considered).

But, I know Goons wound up camping out a lot in the JW Marriot bar and open gaming rooms, so I'm strongly considering that.

Any strong feelings on any of the nearby hotels?
The Hyatt is pretty solid, I have to say, and is probably the connected hotel I would choose if I did not have Hilton brand loyalty to consider. The J.W. Marriott seems like the right choice for people who do not mind being a little farther away than everyone else--the hotel IS still technically attached by a skywalk, after all, and otherwise it is hella fancy and has lots of amenities from what I have seen.

But the Embassy Suites finally last year started the renovations that everyone has been clamoring for for several years, and the renovated rooms were much nicer, and the two-room structure is always a good thing for segregating your loudest snoring friend(s) and/or having some people stay up while others go to bed like pathetic "reasonable people" who "want to feel good in the morning." And I think it has the most reliably versatile free breakfast, though I do remember the Hyatt having a decent spread too.

Really all the connected hotels are great from what I have gathered, best to just live in Harry 'n' Izzy's instead of a hotel

Syntaxed
Feb 20, 2004
If you guys didn't get a room LIKE I DIDN'T then you might want to check out Airbnb. I stayed at one just a few miles out and the Uber rides were pretty fast and cheap last year to get back and forth. Being near downtown they were also much more plentiful to get a ride. I enjoyed it much more than staying at the Airport hotel crack-shack I did 2 years ago. I think there are still some that rent out a whole house which might end up pretty cheap as an option.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I got 2:42p and the buddy I room with got 10:32p, but a friend of ours who stays with family got a 2:09p slot. I'm going to ask him to try to grab us a room on his account. Are there any drawbacks to doing that? Would I be better off just waiting for my time slot 30 mins later for some reason?

I read the FAQ and the posts above but want to make sure I have this right:
I give him my credit card info, he uses it to book the room, then sets me as the primary guest?
That is, the room is bound to his account, but not bound to him and he can list anyone as the primary room occupant?

Pretty sure that's how it works but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

e: vv good to know, sent him my cc info and asked him to grab me a JW or Conrad room if possible

Lawen fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 10, 2018

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Lawen posted:

I got 2:42p and the buddy I room with got 10:32p, but a friend of ours who stays with family got a 2:09p slot. I'm going to ask him to try to grab us a room on his account. Are there any drawbacks to doing that? Would I be better off just waiting for my time slot 30 mins later for some reason?

I read the FAQ and the posts above but want to make sure I have this right:
I give him my credit card info, he uses it to book the room, then sets me as the primary guest?
That is, the room is bound to his account, but not bound to him and he can list anyone as the primary room occupant?

Pretty sure that's how it works but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last year the downtown rooms were gone by 2:30, if I'm remembering correctly.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I went to AAA and they found a hotel out near the airport with WiFi and breakfast for about $560 for four nights. Not ideal but Uber can get me to and from the center I guess.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Double Agent posted:

Last year the downtown rooms were gone by 2:30, if I'm remembering correctly.

Hope they last till 2:39.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Actually I have a question. Do those on your friends list who have bought tickets affect how many rooms you can reserve? Or is it you have to have bought x number of tickets yourself?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Went and looked in last year's thread out of morbid curiosity and

Neveth posted:

[EDIT] AHAHAHAHA 2:33 AND ALL THE DOWNTOWN HOTELS ARE GONE HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME.

here's hoping my 2:09 slot friend comes through for me.

nashona posted:

Actually I have a question. Do those on your friends list who have bought tickets affect how many rooms you can reserve? Or is it you have to have bought x number of tickets yourself?

Pretty sure it only matters how many tickets are purchased on your account. So if you buy 1-2 you can book one room, if you buy 3-4 you can book two rooms, etc. Also, pretty sure you only get one random housing time, regardless of how many badges you buy. Seems kinda dumb since it incentivizes you to only buy 1 badge per account and make your buddy/partner/kid/comfort animal sign up their own account and buy a single ticket in hopes of getting a good housing time. They should probably just give you one random housing time per badge purchased.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Lawen posted:

Pretty sure it only matters how many tickets are purchased on your account. So if you buy 1-2 you can book one room, if you buy 3-4 you can book two rooms, etc. Also, pretty sure you only get one random housing time, regardless of how many badges you buy. Seems kinda dumb since it incentivizes you to only buy 1 badge per account and make your buddy/partner/kid/comfort animal sign up their own account and buy a single ticket in hopes of getting a good housing time. They should probably just give you one random housing time per badge purchased.

Thanks! Trying to book two rooms and my boyfriend got an earlier time but I have already bought 3 badges. We need two more badges anyway for our group so he's going to buy them.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Quick question re: buying enough tickets to reserve multiple rooms: If you buy the tickets under one account, but the payment info for some of those tickets is from another guest, does that still count as all of them being bought under a single account?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that rooms won't sell out as quickly because it's not the 50th anniversary. I could be wrong but that's my hot take.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that rooms won't sell out as quickly because it's not the 50th anniversary. I could be wrong but that's my hot take.

I'm preserving this for tomorrow.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Man, you should know better. This isn't your first GenCon.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Full disclosure, I have a room so I'm overly optimistic at the moment.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not so sure that 50 was a big incentive for people who wouldn't have otherwise gone. My hot take is that GenCon is getting bigger year over year and attendance will be higher this year than last. Did some new hotels open or get added to the housing block, though? That might make housing not quite as bad?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Holla holla get dolla.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Thanks to the kind, caring and loving help of GenGoon friends I was thiiiis close to getting a JW, but opted for the Courtyard instead. Still beats the poo poo out of everywhere else I've stayed. Hyped for that Skywalk life

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Does anyone happen to know if the Springhill suites has skywalk access? It looks like it might connect to the JW, which I think does have it. Just curious.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Yeah, my group is hosed. We're going to be hitting boards and the like for the next 6 months

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Real-time intel is over here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/genconindy/permalink/10155523254121902/?comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22O%22%7D

Lots of doubles left as of now. Westin/Embassy/Fairfield down to singles.

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011
My group was fortunate enough to have someone roll a 12:04. Got a room in the Fairfield. Definitely an improvement over last year's having to Uber back and forth every day.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Funzo posted:

Does anyone happen to know if the Springhill suites has skywalk access? It looks like it might connect to the JW, which I think does have it. Just curious.

It doesn't have direct skywalk access. You have to go through the JW to get to it.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

So, I did get a room near the airport, about 7 miles out. The same one we had a reservation for last year before I grabbed something else out of the block. That room last year was the closest available at 3:30. My time this year was 5:00. So it does look like something is causing a slightly lower demand, whether it be the new policy on transfers or the fact that it's not the 50th or something else entirely.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
We got lucky, someone from our games day group was able to snag us a double double at the alexander

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Double Agent posted:

It doesn't have direct skywalk access. You have to go through the JW to get to it.

That's pretty much what I was thinking. Thanks!
On the other hand, thanks to this thread I know to go down a few blocks and hit Cafe Patachou for breakfast.