Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I went to gencon for the first time in 2016, skipped 2017, and am going this year. I'm considering running a game or two of BSG because it's my favorite game and apparently there was a lot more interest than events for it last year. Am I totally nuts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

ffffff I have an all-day Twilight Imperium game scheduled for the 11th. How long does booking take? I booked way late the last (and only) time.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Got a hotel in the north campus, which I've never been to. I picked a hotel right near the interstate, figuring that'd be better than as-the-crow-flies shorter distance. How is Lyft's presence in Indy? I used Uber last time but hate supporting them. Also when's a good time to buy plane tickets?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I guess I did gencon wrong because that describes me and my approach to gencon last time :ohdear:

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Is there anything for a teetotaler goon to do with goons? I went in 2016 and also didn't see any goons and most of what I saw discussed was barhopping with some games involved. Either way I'll be there. You will know me by my No Fun shirt.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Toshimo posted:

Last year, after a certain point in the day, we just commandeered half a ballroom in the Open Gaming section and played board/card games and tabletop RPGs with goons, which, unless you have some sort of compunction about hanging out with people who drink and game simultaneously, is a good option.

Is that the big room that had that kind of library of games you could pull out and play?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Looking forward to the traditional gencon introductory knife fighting class

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Got about half my wishlist. Got tickets to the new 40k RPG but missed out on a couple games that only had 1 or 2 events. Guess I'll do a second pass to fill things in?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

How do returns work? There's an event or two I want to jump on if people drop them and I'd have to drop some things myself to fit them in. Is there a way to get notified if a slot opens in an event?

edit: also a few events don't have a location set yet, what's with that?

Clanpot Shake fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 6, 2018

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Badge and event tickets arrived in the mail today, guess I really am going to gencon :toot:

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

That blows. My hotel is in north Indy and is 20 minutes to the convention center without convention/construction traffic. Gonna be pricey lyfts...

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I have some back-to-back events scheduled and only today bothered to check the map for where they are. I've got 2 separate ICC to Lucas Oil treks to make on Friday and Saturday. Does Gencon provide a way to contact event hosts so I can send them something like, "Hey I fully intend to be there but may be late for reasons"? One of them is a workshop and it probably won't matter too much but the other is a BSG game and I really don't want to miss it.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I am a collosal moron on left badge and tickets at home. Are they able to reprint them at will call or do I need to buy another flight

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Nevermind, I made it. It's nice to know I have a friend who will drop everything and race to the airport

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Slimy Hog posted:

I was thinking that overnight shipping would be cheaper than a round trip flight

Yeah I was at risk of missing my flight, but everything worked out. Next one was 12 hours later...

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Where is the open gaming area? Is that the one on Lucas oil field? Or a different thing?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Funzo posted:

We’re in the JW ballroom one.

Oh I'm done for the night, good to know for tomorrow though

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Someone at Lucas oil told me they were trying to woo some of the larger vendors over there next year for that reason, but after 2 events on the field I think I'm gonna try to avoid it in the future. Stadium lights gave me a killer headache.

I found the exhibit hall manageable, but I was alone and could weave through it without worrying about losing someone in it. I went in there all 4 days and I know I barely saw half of it.

I did meet nesbit, beegame looks cool and fun. Sadly I didn't get to try Root. Evil High Priest looked okay but I already got my one worker placement (Heaven and Ale). Watched Eschaton played and it's a definite pass. Illimat looked very interesting, gonna read more about it when I get home. Demoed the 7th Sea board game, War of the Rose, it's like a quicker Game of Thrones (the risk-like one) but very skipable. Lastly, stopped by the CK2 game and it looks promising. Didn't get a demo though.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Dice carved from semi-precious gems are guaranteed to not have air bubbles and will be the most random :homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Moriatti posted:

Also the foam sword fighting was fun even if I'm relatively bad at it.

Hone your skills at the Introduction to Sword Fighting martial arts class beforehand.