Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I've always had a very pleasant time with randos at GenCon the 3 or 4 times I've run games.
:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
By "dungeon world guy" do you guys mean Adam Koebel? He had breakfast one table over from us at Cafe Patachou on Friday morning last year. I hope he was not too alarmed when BlackIronHeart and I were casually discussing murdering one of our roommates in order to end the snoring. Oh god, the snoring.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

If your roommate refuses to buy and use nasal strips, you are well within your rights to force them on while they are sleeping.

I was thinking less "attacked with nasal strips" and more "suffocated with a pillow," but whatever. I think this dude is well beyond nasal strips, and BlackIronHeart was wearing headphones - to virtually no avail. The next night we made him sleep on the bathroom floor.

And I get it, I mean, I snore too. But when I'm in polite company, I use a CPAP machine. I think the only time I woke BIH up when we shared a room at PAXUP was when I apparently crashed into his foot hanging off the end of bed as I staggered back from the bathroom in the wee (see what I did there?) hours of the morning.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Dr. Quarex posted:

Oh wow, did Ilor and BlackIronHeart really only stop by the Goon area that one brief time you were not there?!? I swear all three of you were there briefly either during that uh ... that one game ... where you are tiny weird underground people gathering resources from mines, or when we were watching the currency-trading game in pure horror
Yeah, that FOREX game was horror for sure. But we were there for a while - and also at that sports bar Thursday night - so I feel like we must have met Fellis at some point.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Because he still wants to be able to get a table at pretty much any hour and not have to fight with filthy goons to get it?

But for real, Loughmiller's is solid.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
No, doing GenCon wrong involves spending all of your time in the Auction rather than, you know, actually playing games.

Right, Doc? :allears:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
drat you, Klungaaaaaaar! :argh:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I do loves me some tapas...

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I blame Mike Pence for all of this, just so y'all know.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Oh, we don't need an invite. We'll just show up anyway.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Deviant posted:

Karaoke Thursday.
:getout:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
We often squatted rooms in the JW after hours. I had no idea that this was a Goon tradition!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Go to your cart, that will tell you where you are in the queue. BTW, MY WIFE demands that I let it be known that she is the one who divined this tidbit of information. Glory hound.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Conan the Librarian posted:

Are there any goons who are interested in doing True Dungeon? I've recently gotten into it along with my friend and now have an absurd collection between us. I'm happy to answer any questions people might have about it.
MY WIFE is a huge True Dungeon fan, and has roped me into doing it this year. It's not really my cuppa (and is SUPER loving expensive!), but I'll give it a shot.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Does it really take a half hour per player? I'm not sure I can play bees for two full hours with three other people. :ohdear:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

nesbit37 posted:

Two reasons.
And here I was hoping it was because your bee game also had birds.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Useless for those of us not on Facebook, sadly.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Yeah, it would be inarguably OK if it was just looking. But it ain't always "just looking."

EDIT: and Countblanc is right - the fact that that line so often gets crossed is because enough people default to the "she was askin' for it" line that the people who are the real problem feel emboldened to act inappropriately. In an imperfect world we all bear some personal responsibility for our own safety, but no one is ever "asking for it."

Ilor fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 2, 2018

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

enigmahfc posted:

Every person that cancels their badge because of Anita lowers my chances of gaming with someone who would cancel their badge because of Anita. I am fine with that.
^^^ This.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Pins are for suckers. :colbert:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Elephant Ambush posted:

I can't find any info on where to buy tickets for the Anita Sarkeesian panel. Am I just looking in the wrong places or are they not on sale yet?
They must be, my wife already scored a couple for us. It's Thursday night from 8:00-9:00 PM, if that helps you find it in the schedule.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Slandible posted:

Does anyone have any other suggestions for Indian food now that Haveli is dead?
Interested in answers to this question.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
What about fruity girly drinks?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
One of the best Thai restaurants here is in an old Long John Silvers, so that checks out.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Same with Jamaican food. So if you get Curried Goat from one of the Jamaican food trucks (which I highly recommend, BTW), just know that there will be bones in it. FWIW, it's exactly the same preparation as you get when you're in Jamaica, which is pretty rad.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

enigmahfc posted:

This talk of pieces of bones in food is pretty drat gross.
No, it's delicious. Most of these kinds of preparations are roasts or stews. Cooking the meat on the (cracked) bone lets the marrow enrich the result.

Just don't try to eat it when it's dark. I foolishly made the mistake of ordering curried goat once at a candle-light dinner on the beach; Eating it required a degree of circumspection for which I was not totally prepared.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Fellow Goon selnaric backed the "Who Goes There?" Kickstarter and picked up his copy at GenCon. We got it to the table Friday night and it was good! I was particularly impressed with the quality of the meeples and play aids, and the packing insert is black loving magic. I have the feeling you could throw that box in a dryer for an hour and it would come out with everything in place.

Though I didn't make it to any of the Goon events (thought about hiking to Shot Wednesday, but was cashed after the drive and had an 8am event Thursday), I had a ton of fun as usual. My wife strong-armed me into trying True Dungeon - we played it twice and I was pretty :geno: about the whole thing. Awfully expensive for what it is. I probably won't do it again if I can help it. But my travel homies scouted out the Games on Demand room, and I suspect I be spending more time there next year running games for total randos.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
What, were you trying to recreate the PAX experience? Dude, get your event tickets and badge mailed to you. The only thing I waited in line for was delicious channa masala at Dhaba Indy. I didn't have to shuttle in or out, but GenCon is remarkably well suited to having to wait for nothing.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I was amazed at the number of purveyors of "luxury dice" at the con this year. Some gorgeous stuff, but most of it looked like it was either moderately fragile or so heavy/solid as to be able to dent my loving table. There was one dude there hawking dice made from all sorts of metals and semi-precious stones, including mossy obsidian and "al-yoo-minium." I was like, "wait, did you just say, 'al-yoo-minium?'" He replied that they were an Australian company and therefore allowed to use the Queen's English. I stopped him there and walked away.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

GenConspicuous Consumption.

How did you manage to buy multiple Palladium products without someone staging an intervention? Did your friends leave you unsupervised for too long?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Glagha posted:

after digging into the setting lore a bit it sounds like the setting's royalty has been based on centuries and centuries of incest?
Oh, so it's England, then.

:downsrim:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I've actually been that guy asleep on the floor of a Japanese train station overnight. I was visiting friends in Roppongi one night and caught the last JR train out to Kashiwa, only to discover that the local line to which I was transferring had already shut down for the night. Seeing a few other dudes similarly sleeping on the floor, I deemed it socially acceptable and racked out myself until the next morning. Slept like a baby, and I wasn't even drunk. When in Rome (or Tokyo, as the case may be)...