Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I just bought my tickets for my second GenCon. My buddy's wife has a million airline miles and got a free hotel room downtown last year, so I'm hoping that the same thing happens this year. If not I'll just sleep on the convention floor like a Real Goon™.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

nesbit37 posted:

Exhibit hall is up and we're in booth 3058! Not a great spot, but then again what is in Entrepreneur's Avenue.

I love entrepreneurs avenue. People are so much more into the game they're peddling and are stoked that you're stoked about their game.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

nesbit37 posted:

Yay, I have box art! My illustrator turned this in recently and my graphic designer had a quick turn around on it. This is the game I have the booth at Gen Con for and the one we are going to have a pin for. What do you think?

I'm stoked! What's the asking price for it going to be? Also, I'm assuming you will have copies for sale at your booth?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

You should be making shoes not games. HARD PASS.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

enigmahfc posted:

So Anita Sarkeesian was announced as a guest and the red-pill tears will never stop it seems.

Who? And why do people hate her?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

drat! I'm sure happy that I have nothing to do with video game culture; it looks like it's a cesspool.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

enigmahfc posted:

Why invite Big Bird?
I have been puzzling over the decision to invite Big Bird as a guest of honor. Do they have a hand in designing a game that I am unaware of? Do they have industry experience with tabletop gaming? Right now all I can think of is they have "star power" but I would hope the reason for making her the guest of honor goes beyond that. Could someone with more experience with her work than me please explain why Big Bird is the Guest of honor?

Caroll Spinney is a man.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

He’s quoting an Anita outrage post on FB :v:

I stand by my statement :colbert:

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

That meeple pin is super disappointing and ugly.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Avenging Dentist posted:

It's the only one pictured that I would not have immediately thrown out. :shrug:

I would have thrown it out the next day.

On mobile it looks fine, but on desktop it looks like garbage.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

Hey we're getting close! Time for me to start planning my weekend and set up some goon games. Here's what I'm looking to bring and play, as we get closer and I can gauge interest I'll compile an actual schedule. Quote this or message me on Groupme if you're interested.

Food Chain Magnate (4p)

Dominant Species (4-6p)

I'll also have a lot of small games in my backpack for random games throughout the weekend but this is the stuff I really want to do.

These two I'm interested in!

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Haystack posted:

🚧 GENCON FREEWAY CLOSURE WARNING! 🚧

https://www.in.gov/indot/3687.htm

A large chunk of I-65 about 1 mile north of the convention center is currently completely closed for renovations and is estimated to remain closed for the entirety of GenCon.

AIRPORT: No problem! Nothing between the convention center and the airport should be closed. You should see no issues if you are coming in from that direction.

CHICAGO: If you are driving down from Chicago, or staying on the north west side of town there will most likely be big detours and probably delays.

FORT WAYNE, ETC: Those coming from Fort Wayne down 69 may need to take a minor detour at the very end, but should be fine. South and east side travelers should also see little to no disruption.

Safe Travels!

Coming in from Chicago, so this is a big bummer, especially since the traffic last year was so bad.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

djfooboo posted:

Oh poo poo, my wife may be getting induced during GenCon :cry:

Congratulations! Also, bummer.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Deviant posted:

space team is an app though?

Space Alert probably?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Avenging Dentist posted:

Ok that's a lot less bad than how I read your previous post. I thought you'd already arrived and were considering another round trip to get your tickets and I was like "that is some serious Gen Con dedication".

I was thinking that overnight shipping would be cheaper than a round trip flight

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Nesbit37, we're you the young guy with a beard or the old guy with a beard?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

nesbit37 posted:

Thank you all that stopped by and said hi! It felt great to see so many supportive goons. I'll post more later, right now decrompessing with booth crew at a bar.

Which one were you? I demoed it but didn't want to say "hey, are you on this dead comedy forum?" to some random stranger.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Philthy posted:

Probably going to head to other Cons in place. The lines are just too insane after dumping so much cash. I had a fun time, but I think I spent nearly 15 hours in lines for either shuttles, tickets, booths, food, etc. The past two years were so easy compared to this year, I don't know what changed.

But, I got all my loot I wanted. I played fun games. I ate good food. Made it back home safe. Next year I think we do Origins.

There are tricks to skip most of the line waiting: get your badge and tickets mailed to you, go to the food trucks outside Lucas oil or walk to a nearby restaurant for lunch (or skip breakfast and eat lunch at 1030-11 when the food trick lines and practically non existent) and don't stand in a long line for a demo/booth, swing by every so often and get into a shorter line or immediate demo.

Oh, and just don't go to fantasy flight because that line is always too long.

The only lines I stood in were for will call because I'm a dummy and a ~5 min line for beer.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Dr. Gargunza posted:

General advice on dice buying:

- For good dice with better randomness, go with Q-Workshop.
- For ridiculous shaped dice, Gamescience.
- To buy dice by the cubic meter, Chessex.

Have people done statistical analysis of different manufacturers dice to find the most random?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Dr. Gargunza posted:

I'm sure they have, but I was just going by personal experience. I've noticed a decent variety of numbers rolled from Q-Workshop dice, in the games where I've been paying attention. I've also had a set of Chessex where the d20 rolled 17's with staggering consistency. I've been in a long-running D&D5e game with a fellow goon whose infamous red Chessex d20 seems to roll only 1's or 20's. His skill checks and attack rolls are moments of extreme stress for the party.

Basically, ymmv and it's ultimately up to personal taste. Chessex has an amazing variety of colors and finishes, with rounder corners. Q-Workshop has nice sets of "themed" dice (runes, elvish, Cthulhu, etc.) with slightly sharper edges and corners. Gamescience has...those weird Zocchi dice? Also the corners on their polyhedral dice look slightly injurious.

Couple of links I found if anyone was interested:
https://www.awesomedice.com/blog/353/d20-dice-randomness-test-chessex-vs-gamescience
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/08/how-fair-is-your-d20/

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Ilor posted:

I was amazed at the number of purveyors of "luxury dice" at the con this year. Some gorgeous stuff, but most of it looked like it was either moderately fragile or so heavy/solid as to be able to dent my loving table. There was one dude there hawking dice made from all sorts of metals and semi-precious stones, including mossy obsidian and "al-yoo-minium." I was like, "wait, did you just say, 'al-yoo-minium?'" He replied that they were an Australian company and therefore allowed to use the Queen's English. I stopped him there and walked away.

That dude was a prick. There were two people looking at the amethyst dice and asking each other how they could be priced so "low" (it was $85 for ~5 dice) since it was a precious stone. I overheard them and explained that the stones they were using for the dice had a bunch of inclusions and were super light in color, making them lower "grade" when it came to jewelry. The dice guy comes over and says that they only use the highest quality gemstones to make their dice and they might have to send back all the amethyst they got recently because it was too low of a grade.

Yeah, sure. Whatever buddy.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Caedar posted:

Hey all! I'm the rules editor / usability dev for Leder Games, and I'd be glad to answer any Qs you have here, through PM, or on BGG. As far as the walkthrough sheets go, the game does indeed prompt you to start with certain cards and set up in a certain way, as detailed on page 3 of the learn-to-play guide and the walkthrough setup cards.

Personally, I would have liked a little explanation WHY we were taking the actions listed on the walkthrough sheet. It felt weird starting the game with "I get some wood and build a sawmill with it somehow and for some reason"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Caedar posted:

That's fair. The idea, as outlined in the learn-to-play, is that one player has read the rules and can answer such "why" questions as they come up, since everyone is going to have different questions. The walkthrough sheet alone is not sufficient to teach both the mechanics and the strategic reasoning behind Root, since it's a rather intricate game. Additionally, the faction overview cards and the faction board backs give more grounding in why a faction does what it does.

Well if I actually READ the content that you created for me to learn how to play how would I complain to you on the internet!?!?!

Honestly, it was late at night, my group had been drinking and none of us had seen as much as a demo of the game when we tried to play. Hopefully it will work better when my buddy brings it to game night.

Slimy Hog fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 7, 2018