Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I demoed Nyctophobia and it was real bad. The hunter being able to see totally throws off the dynamic and makes it very ridiculous IMO.

The demo instructor was kinda bad too though so I guess that could’ve ruined it.

The Mind is loving fantastic though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

CellBlock posted:

I'm reading the mixed reviews of Nyctophobia in here and I definitely lean more towards "good" than "bad" but I definitely understand people being less inclined to purchase. The shades are a gimmick, but one that really does make the game unlike anything else I've played before, and forces the team to communicate and remember their moves. (The hunter being able to see isn't that broken, because their movement is more prescribed by the cards and the presence of the noise token.)

I can definitely see replayability as an issue; there aren't that many different scenarios, so if you have a small group or a group that you play with very frequently, you could pretty much hit all the major permutations and have the game solved. (Although I guess you have all the pieces to make your own.)

All that being said, there is a special sort of tension that comes about when moving your piece blindly, although, to me, the most tense part of the game is between turns, when you can't see the board (and if you're hiding, can't talk), and the rest of the players are doing their thing and you're pretty sure one of them is doing something stupid but you don't know what or how.

It's fun. I might try to buy it because I want to play it again (and I want to be the hunter at least once) and I think it's not very expensive. If I don't get to play it again, though, that's fine, too. I'm definitely glad to have demoed it, though.

Also, yeah, The Mind is good. Not like "holy crap, this is amazing" good, but it's way better than you'd first think. Like, I thought it was pretty stupid and then I played a round and realized I was grossly underrating it. Coupled with the fact that it's small/portable and easy to teach, I'm definitely going to buy a copy if for no other reason than to throw it into my bag and take to events.

Your points on Nyctophobia are really fair. Our demo leader seemed like he didn't care much or didn't know much about the game so that may have had a big factor. Ultimately I think it's just a really divisive game.

As for The Mind, I encourage everyone to play up to Level 3 or 4 before forming an opinion. With one or two cards in your hand it doesn't seem as fun but once you get rolling it's a loving blast.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Dr. Gargunza posted:

(I don't really follow Magic so I had to look that guy up, and I feel poorer for the experience. Unlike Hambly, whose GoFundMe has already accrued over $15k in wingnut welfare from the other assorted troglodytes in the gaming division of the He-Man Woman-Haters Club. :smith: )

His post “attack” video is worth watching just to see him cry about buttons popping off his favorite shirt.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I was basically hallucinating from exhaustion while walking through the Expo Hall late Saturday because I was deathly worried if I sat down, I'd fall asleep and get posted here.