Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My buddy got a VIG badge in the lottery so I'm looking forward to this year more than usual since most the headache of getting a downtown room is gone. Hopefully it's better this year with housing with it not being the anniversary and the price hike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ilor posted:

By "dungeon world guy" do you guys mean Adam Koebel? He had breakfast one table over from us at Cafe Patachou on Friday morning last year. I hope he was not too alarmed when BlackIronHeart and I were casually discussing murdering one of our roommates in order to end the snoring. Oh god, the snoring.

That's actually a pretty common morning conversation at Gencon.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Anti-Bunny posted:

I saw Wil Wheaton and his gross loving beard at gencon 3 years ago true story

He doesn't look that old on media or from a distance but when you get close to him and shake hands with him, you know his time with the Traveler took its toll.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that rooms won't sell out as quickly because it's not the 50th anniversary. I could be wrong but that's my hot take.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Full disclosure, I have a room so I'm overly optimistic at the moment.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

theironjef posted:

I'm apparently staying in an AirBNB with multiple kitchens this year, which means a good chance to bring the dang spice myself.

The System Mastery crew will be at Gencon?!

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

theironjef posted:

Yep, first time. We're staying with RPG Academy but appearing on behalf (hah we count as personalities) of One Shot.

I thought the micro pig would come first.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Atomicated posted:

I think a lot of the drivers for one drive for the other. I live in Indy and switched to Lyft and its basically the same experience. I think one time Uber's surge pricing dropped faster than Lyfts is maybe the most noticeable difference Ive had.

Most drivers will have two phones, you can't be logged into both apps at the same time, and pick up passengers for both because it's the only way to make it worthwhile.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Len posted:

Anyone have any tips of convincing the fiancee into getting a Gencon wedding? I mean I'll already be there, everyone I want to invite will already be there, and who doesn't want an obese man dressed as slave Leia in all the wedding pictures?

Just don't.

theironjef posted:

Looks like System Mastery will be running two games during GenCon this year, in case you're a listener who wants to hang. We'll be doing a Blimpleggers game using the Strike! engine with pre-gen characters, and a Gamma Crawl X game, Return to the Truckusseum, with random character creation on site, still using Gamma World 7e.

:getin:

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Don't they still run Magic events at Gencon?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Quarex posted:

I Googled a couple of times until I got a link back to a picture I posted in the 2014 thread and thought "OOOH MAYBE IT IS THERE" and so it is.

Thanks, RocknRollaAyatollah, for posting it in 2014, so I do not need to post one of the loving copies with FAIL LOL MEANWHILE IN AMERICA scrawled on it

I actually looked to see if the original was still up on Google images but only that "FAIL" one was. I knew someone would have it and come through with it.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Elephant Ambush posted:

Hahahaha what? I'm annihilated every night while gaming in a hotel lounge with my college buddies and it owns.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I like to duck in there every now and then to sit and enjoy the show. Even when it's not the oddities section, it's interesting to see what comes up. Sometimes you'll even find some gems in the consignment store section too.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
RIP Gencon site.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I just hope there aren't too many bomb threats.

I think it's awesome she's coming and pissing off the dregs of Gencon. I'm not even a fan, never watched her stuff beyond a cursory glance, but she's alright in my book now for triggering the chuds.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Avenging Dentist posted:

Let's be fair here, this is an exceedingly low bar.

This is true. Wasn't there an uproar from these types over cosplay is not consent?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Big Bird is going to be there! http://www.gencon.com/experience/2018puppetprogramguestofhonor

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The guest line up this year is pretty great. Jordan Weisman is probably one of the nicest industry people and "S.A. Corey", Ty Franck and Daniel Abraham, are going to be there too. Weisman is always there but it's cool he's getting honored.

Also, mother, loving, Big Bird.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bottom Liner posted:

What I’m learning from this page is that Origins is a big pile of poo poo

This.

Also, I really don't like pins and pin collecting. That's not Origins related, just me sighing at their inclusion into every convention out there because the Penny Arcade guys go to Disney Land all the time and started to take notes.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It's a thing Disney started and people go crazy about it. Pin collecting is kind of a late stage of capitalism trend where people are spending hundreds of dollars for a pin that has a tiny piece of a Disney ride in it. It's in the same vein as Funkos but usually better looking, designed, and cheaper.

Fellis posted:

I don't care about pin collecting, but i'll buy nesbit's pin cause it looks cool, and i'll probably buy a train game pin if there is one. Maybe a Root pin.

I'll buy Nesbit's pin because it looked cool and I have to have something to remember this forum.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
That is true, I forgot about the Olympics and national parks. NASA also has pins for all the missions too.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bottom Liner posted:

Hey we're getting close! Time for me to start planning my weekend and set up some goon games. Here's what I'm looking to bring and play, as we get closer and I can gauge interest I'll compile an actual schedule. Quote this or message me on Groupme if you're interested.

Food Chain Magnate (4p)

Arkham LCG (Carcosa campaign 2-4p)

Star Wars: The Gathering cube draft (4-6p) - https://www.starwarsthegathering.com/

I'm interested in these. I plan on jumping on the Groupme closer to the con, probably next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Aren't the alleged benefits of Gamescience dice ruined by the fact that the molds are usually old and poorly maintained? I know their booth looks like it came out of 1980 and not in a good way.