Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost
Gencon?

Gencon.

Gencon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I hope so, my Googling leads to nothing recognizable. I swear it was Mars specific but none of the Mars games I've found have the thousands of pieces and require an app to play.

Last year, my buddy bought a neat little journal from a booth. It had space on every page for board game info. Name, description, pros and cons, booth number etc. Designed for keeping track of games you try out in the dealer's hall. Anyone know which company that was, or know of something similar? I could just use my phone or a regular notebook sure but this was a cool thing made by one person.

If their was an app involved then it was most likely Ignacy Trzewiczek's newest bad game: First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet. A "refinement" of the systems he first used in Robinson Crusoe. Coincidentally it is currently on sale at CSI for turdy dollars.

Other mars games I can think off:
Terraforming Mars
Pocket Mars
Mission: Red Planet

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

Cat Face Joe posted:

the mars game is where you run up to another attendee, scream MARS at them as loud as possible, and then punch them in face

The app part of the game is that you only do this when people are looking at their phones.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost
I just booked my hotel for Gencon 2019, I have problems.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

Dr. Quarex posted:

:crossarms: I am rarely impressed by anything anymore, but that does it. :confuoot:

What hotel did you find that will go that far in advance? Or is it just a matter of calling and being convincing enough? Haha. OR IS THIS A TRADE SECRET

The only way I have amped up my fandom for this 2018 cycle is by beginning to apply for jobs in Indianapolis, but that is a nice side effect of other things happening rather than being just for The G-C.

With SPG the earliest you can book a room is something like 550 days in advance, not sure why it isn't an even year, but whatever. For gencon 2019 that put the earliest available time to reserve about 2 days ago. If you check that early, there are usually some straggler rooms that havent been reserved in the hotel blocks, but they are quite expensive, $350+ a night. What I do is use my reward points instead of paying cash money, usually you have to call and get them to book it for you and they are really confused as to why they heck you are booking a room a year and a half in advance. I figure the 50,000 points I spend are worth it to pay for the room and make it so I don't have to ever worry about the lottery. I used this method to get the Westin in 2016, the Le Meridian this year, and the Sheraton City Centre in 2019. I hosed it up last year but managed to get the pull out couch in a room one of my VIG friends had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost
I had pretty good luck this year, got in everything except the dropfleet narrative campaign. Probably for the best, now I don't have to bring any miniatures.