Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Quick question re: buying enough tickets to reserve multiple rooms: If you buy the tickets under one account, but the payment info for some of those tickets is from another guest, does that still count as all of them being bought under a single account?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
What's wrong with karaoke? I'd be down for that. I've got a song in my heart that I'm not real sure on the lyrics or melody and I've just gotta let it out!

We don't have a date for the events schedule, do we? One of my goals for this year is to do a lot more playtesting (mostly RPG's, assuming people are running the new Star Wars and Star Trek games), but I'd like to get into some discussion groups on design and the like if anything catches my fancy. And I'd actually prefer to schedule this stuff in advance for once in my life.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
1) Aw, 1022 in line? /pout

2) (one minute later) Yay, 420 in line! /giggle

3) ...And all my picks are sold out. :(

Oh well. Back to plan B (buy a buttload of generics and wing it).

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

Toshimo posted:

How could anyone be grouchy about Carrol Spinney?

Put a lid on it

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
Don't be silly, just find and destroy their queens in single combat. The rest of the hive should disperse.
(Bee Lives is really cute, thanks for the demo Nesbit37! Folks, not only does the game have beeples, it also has honey cubes. KS it!)

So I had a fun, productive first day. Instead of watching as the Dork Tide swelled over the breakers and crashed the Nerd Sea into the dealer room (like I've done at past GenCons), I played Frostgrave with its author, helped out a friend/game demo guy carry stuff to his room, gave another friend a partial guided tour, hit the Venezuelan food truck, and scouted a couple local restaurants. And then napped. Good day.

e.: The food truck was El Venezolano, for the record. Really tasty arepas, but get there early if you want any of their cheese sticks.

Dr. Gargunza fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 3, 2018

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

nesbit37 posted:

Thanks to you all that came to the bee lives booth and demoed and picked up bee pins!

...goddammit, I knew I was forgetting something. You're not out of pins, are you?

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

nashona posted:

A fellow goon bought a copy and we were playing it tonight. Talking to a guy watching us they mentioned playing the rounds with cards face down and seeing the results as an option.

...Which I think was how they used to review candidates for the Remote Viewing program. Anyway, The Mind is terrific and even better when you get into a groove with your partners.

Root is also pretty fun! I think one issue with the 2-round "how to play" is that it doesn't take into account the uniqueness of each player's card. I'd picked a leader trait for my Eyrie, for instance, and the demo sheet just barreled ahead and said to "place X in Y territory" without considering that. (It also doesn't just give you a list of what to put on each player card and the board for the demo rounds.) Still, once you get a game of Root going, you'll start to grasp how things work really quickly and develop strategies..

I seem to have missed a bunch of Goontivities this year, but that's probably because of all the other stuff I was doing. Learning about crafting MDF terrain, game demos, and even got in a game of Frostgrave with the author! Not bad for my first GenCon in like 5 years. Good to see so many of you folks enjoyed it too!

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

Bottom Liner posted:

Primanti Bros was my only source of happiness close by this year.

My group went to Primanti Bros. one night, right before closing, and our experience was a bit mixed. There was some disorganization on the orders, mostly due to tired overworked staff, and a couple of our people thought the food was a bit meh. However, the waitstaff made up for exhaustion with goofy good humor, and their tater tots were sort of life-affirming.

And goddammit, I wish someone had told me about Bee Coffee! I love local coffee shops.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
General advice on dice buying:

- For good dice with better randomness, go with Q-Workshop.
- For ridiculous shaped dice, Gamescience.
- To buy dice by the cubic meter, Chessex.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

Slimy Hog posted:

Have people done statistical analysis of different manufacturers dice to find the most random?

I'm sure they have, but I was just going by personal experience. I've noticed a decent variety of numbers rolled from Q-Workshop dice, in the games where I've been paying attention. I've also had a set of Chessex where the d20 rolled 17's with staggering consistency. I've been in a long-running D&D5e game with a fellow goon whose infamous red Chessex d20 seems to roll only 1's or 20's. His skill checks and attack rolls are moments of extreme stress for the party.

Basically, ymmv and it's ultimately up to personal taste. Chessex has an amazing variety of colors and finishes, with rounder corners. Q-Workshop has nice sets of "themed" dice (runes, elvish, Cthulhu, etc.) with slightly sharper edges and corners. Gamescience has...those weird Zocchi dice? Also the corners on their polyhedral dice look slightly injurious.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

nashona posted:

We followed the two turn guide to start and noted that it seems to assume that you have certain cards already. We ended up just pretending we did until we got the third round.

Yeah, if they'd had a blurb like "For this demo, you will need X" or "Please draw the following cards: Marquise X, Alliance Y, etc." that would've worked a lot better. We played it after doing the setup on the base cards, including the options (e.g., I was Eyrie and choose the Charismatic leader card, so I was never sure if I should be recruiting the extra troops on demo turns 1 & 2).

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

Caedar posted:

Hey all! I'm the rules editor / usability dev for Leder Games, and I'd be glad to answer any Qs you have here, through PM, or on BGG. As far as the walkthrough sheets go, the game does indeed prompt you to start with certain cards and set up in a certain way, as detailed on page 3 of the learn-to-play guide and the walkthrough setup cards.

Thanks for responding. As Slimy Hog also noted, my group probably missed the crucial bits in the rules (our excuse was "playing in the big open-play table area with lots of crowd noise and Fantasy Flight announcers calling tournament results every 2-3 minutes"). Once we got past the confusion, everything clicked into place and we all grasped the mechanics.

So we're all really excited about playing again, which I think speaks pretty highly for Root. Thanks again!

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

CellBlock posted:

Oh, and Jeremy Hambly got punched, which was great.

(I don't really follow Magic so I had to look that guy up, and I feel poorer for the experience. Unlike Hambly, whose GoFundMe has already accrued over $15k in wingnut welfare from the other assorted troglodytes in the gaming division of the He-Man Woman-Haters Club. :smith: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

Dr. Quarex posted:

... Also, speaking obviously to the post above mine, I am saddened to finally hear a story about someone playing the only game that came up for years at Gen-Con when searching for TORG games. Though now that TORG is back it is not quite so sad I suppose. And that does sound like a reasonably well-themed mechanic.

I also noticed a decent number of people walking around with TORG merchandise during my exhibitor hall sorties, and for a few minutes I thought I was back in the 90's in my hometown game-and-comics shop/Greyhound ticket broker (they're still open!)

Also weird and nostalgic: At least one Chessex booth was selling modules for Skyrealms of Jorune, a game I saw like three ads for in Dragon Magazine back in the late 80's and never actually played (though it looked...kinda cool?). I'd completely forgotten that Chessex picked up that license for the 3rd edition. I meant to ask if they were bringing it back, but the Dork Tide swelled and my merch-buddy finished buying dice and pulled me to another booth.