Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I had to google spats

I wish it was this instead of the shoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
My room mate and I both snore super loving loud. Whoever falls asleep first wins.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Had 4pm slot.

Got the same hotel we've got the past two years. Wydham West by the airport. It's alright, free parking, decent breakfast buffet. Has a bar and bistro. Ran about $770 for 5 nights all said and done. Probably going to be our last year going and switching to Origins from here on out, but one last hurrah.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Dr. Quarex posted:

Philthy no

Philthy why would you do that to yourself

O.K. granted if you just go to Gen Con to play board games and/or wargames then I totally get it, they are functionally interchangeable for certain types of people (other than Gen Con being way more difficult to get good accommodations for, naturally).

But otherwise... GROUP HUG

The first year my buddy got me into D&D Adventure League and it got me hooked, we played a few intro games to ShadowRun and Malifaux Card Based RPG and a few other things. Last year we did mostly D&D AL straight through, but I *really* wanted to check out Starfinder, but that fiasco soured me so much it almost ruined the entire con for me. Why show up with a game that everyone knew had a huge demand for with only a few thousand copies, then only have 7 tables total running intro games, while you had hundreds of empty tables with PFS DMs just sitting there with no one. Just thinking about it still ticks me off.

Anyways, WotC has thrown their full support behind Origins now, and all the more wargamey tabletop stuff that I prefer is there as well. Ie. You wont find Panzer Grenadier games at Gencon and such.

This year we've decided to not focus on RPGs and will be more casual impromtu boardgames and learning new games sessions so maybe we will have a blast and just decide to keep going. But holy poo poo the popularity for cons has exploded over the past few years and even the smaller cons are getting quite big. There is just too many to go to, and Gencon is a huge fund. I think I'll have been to almost 4 cons by the end of March already. It's insane.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, Baldman Games is pretty much running the show for D&D Gencon, which is perfectly fine. They have some great DMs and the events are fun. But you won't see many old TSR and current WotC D&D celebs around. They all show up at Origins mostly and make the big announcements and release all the cool poo poo there usually.

Thankfully they've been putting more effort into GaryCon which is by far my favorite con and it's just so chill and relaxed there. Between games you can be lounging around on a nice comfy couch and someone like Luke Gygax and Frank Mentzer will just sit down next to you. They're just walking around playing and gaming like anyone else.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yep, I'll be living in the new Adventure League area since we've out grown the basement.

Last year I spent about 6 hours listening to the Gygax family, and other older TSR people reminisce about the good ole days. Also one session with the newer guys and their plans to keep 5e from becoming the mess of books trap that Pathfinder has fallen into. If you haven't done any of those sessions, they're worth listening to.

The waiters coming to the tables offering food and beverages is just such an insanely awesome thing to have for long gaming sessions. Love having nachos and burgers and beer while playing.

Just got back from Winter Fantasy last week. Paid for the "D&D Experience" where you keep the same "5 star DM" for four sessions, have your own special Fai Chen, and "snacks". It was alright, but the DM was no different than the other normal DMs, because the people running games usually know their poo poo and it's hard to get a really bad one these days. Having the same party was cool, but we were suboptimal, and we made it work eventually, but it would have been better if our table had more than four players. The Fai Chen was a typical Fai Chen shitshow of waiting in line for an hour and finding nothing new available to trade. The "snacks" were bananas and bottles of water.

It's not really worth it in the end. The Con itself was fun, and we enjoyed ourselves, but it wasn't much different than any other smaller con we routinely have in Wisconsin.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 16, 2018

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Uber from the airport hotels was around 25 one way.

I just looked for parking every day. Sometimes I would find a spot quick, sometimes not. Around $20 for the day in all the ramps.

We did take an uber to the restaurant that had Paizo Starfinder shirts and goodies from the Con, it was about a 5 min drive. Cost around $10.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
GaryCon was still pretty cool this year. Didn't seem any worse than last year, tho.

Got to play in the "We are Grung!" D&D Adventure League adventure with 200 other people. Everyone played with level 1 Grung pre-gens. When you died, you would randomly come back as another. They use a color caste and my table had a revolution because the worker/fighting class didn't like to be bossed around. This chick at the table was Princess Bubbles and being the Wizard I was higher caste, so I tried protecting her but she ultimately died and got all angry. But then she got her new pre-gen and was still angry and spent the rest of the game trying to sabotage the adventure for everyone else by not cooperating. It was all for fun and she just checked out. 200 people all making high pitched frog voices for five hours was insane.

This is a Grung:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Did you get to play the event the night before? I forget what it was called, but it was 4-5 levels of puzzles and traps? We finished it almost an hour and a half before everyone else (The puzzles just clicked for us, I guess. Sudoku masters!) and the DM said we got close to full points. When we finished, we looked at the table next to us and they were on the first puzzle still.

The people who ended up winning with something like 390 points and our DM just kinda raised an eyebrow and said she has no idea where they got those points from. I think we may have missed something in the middle somewhere...

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

nesbit37 posted:

Do you mean the return to Tamoachan epic? I've DMed a bunch of a the competitive epics and the scoring system, frankly, is busted and a joke. There is no standardization to it and it entirely depends on both how generous your DM, how difficult they run the encounters, and how well they do book keeping. I was really strict about it and ran a tough table the first time I DMed one of these (the D&D Open 2 or 3 years ago) and the table I rand had a score of around negative 115 point. The winning team had something like 2000 points. I don't know how that was even possible, even if you went into the dungeon naked. Its pretty borked IMO.

No, that was last year I think. We had two people die in the first 10 minutes and then we just got analysis paralysis for the remainder and it wasn't much fun. I can't remember what the one I mentioned above was called, but we used pregens again. Kind of strange for AL games, but it was fun as hell!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Ah, okay then. Those huge demon statues for prizes were cool, but I don't even know where someone would keep those things.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Have any of you done the Critical Role live thing? I am hooked on the current season and I think I want to go this year.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Who farted.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Kind of upset at a few game systems I want to try like Guild Ball. But their intro session is $54. I don't want to buy your poo poo if I end up not liking your game ya turds. How about $0.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Sitting at 3138 for 15 minutes now.. drat dude, this is a drive through, if you're going to order that much poo poo, go inside and do it.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Only got three of the demos I wanted to try out...

Everything else sold out. I have no problem just wandering and finding games, but my buddy is very much a strict need-a-list-of-where-when because his feet are melting and can't wander too much.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Filled out our schedule mostly!

Decided to try the 4 day parking pass for $60. Thurs-Sun parking 24hrs. Free shuttle every 15 minutes 24/7. Anyone try this? I figured this would take some stress off.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Now just need to wait until the Critical Role tickets go on sale.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Had no idea a new 40k RPG was coming out, let alone being demoed. I think playing in that setting would be freaking kickass. Hoping they put up more sessions (doubtful..).

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Forgot about Critical Role tickets going on sale today. Still got them, but man, they're nearly sold out. They'll need to move to a larger venue next year I think.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Which is "bigger", them or Adventure Zone? I know the McElroy's don't do GenCon (though Travis was there last year to walk around a bit) and I'm guessing they're already too big for it.

Honestly, I've never even heard of Adventure Zone until your post. But I don't go out of my way for these things, Crit Role was pointed out to me by a friend and then I was able to "get" all the inside jokes that every D&D player seems to know. Kinda like a room full of Simpsons fans. CR has their own source book and just an absolutely huge fan base is all I know.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Bottom Liner posted:

I tried to watch one of those Geek & Sundry RPG productions but in 5 minutes it felt super obvious that everyone involved was there for a paycheck and not because they wanted to be. It was like sitting down with a bad GM at Gencon, basically :v:

I don't watch any of the other shows. The folks doing CR are all professional voice actors that knew each other and played D&D weekly before someone decided to put them on the air. They get really into the games, and Matt Mercer absolutely has the best freakin voices and acts out all the creatures and NPCs. He often get annoyed at having to do the sponsors at the beginning because he just wants to get the game going. I went from not being able to watch it much, to just being sucked in. The early season 1 stuff is poorly done sound and video wise so I never really was able to get into it easily. If you start with Season 2 you'll get a good taste of what it's all about.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 9, 2018

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Dr. Quarex posted:

I just read about Critical Role for the first time in this thread and then suddenly I get the message about Pillars of Eternity II getting day-one Critical Role-themed voice packs and portraits and I wonder why I have been so accursed this day

Yeah, some of them did voices for the first game also. (They do voices for a TON of poo poo, actually.) They had the Samurai Champloo voice actor show up as basically Samurai Champloo cleric in an episode.

Here's all the stuff Matt Mercer (The DM) has done. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Mercer#Video_games

Philthy fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 10, 2018

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

nesbit37 posted:

I like putting Critical Role on in the background while I do other things. I couldn't see watching/listening to all 3-4 hours of an episode weekly while paying attention to nothing else though. Also, I just watched the first episode of the new campaign this week after not watching any CR for about 6 months. Holy ads! Is there this much promotional stuff every week now?

Only at the beginning and at the 15 min break about 1.5-2hrs in. They usually have a little skit for whatever movie/game donates to their children's writing charity, and one for D&D Beyond who are their major sponsor for this season. It's about 3-5 minutes of "ads" total. When ever they roll a 1, D&D Beyond is donating $100 to 826LA charity. They've rolled a million 1s so far. Last episode someone rolled three 1s in a row. It's nuts how bad their rolls are. (And helps point out why dice based skills need tweaking.)

I usually listen to it while painting. I don't sit and stare at it, either, unless they're doing combat because I like minis.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 10, 2018

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I really like it! Great artwork and colors!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Bottom Liner posted:

What I’m learning from this page is that Origins is a big pile of poo poo

They cater to different gamers. In years past, Origins is where the Grognards go to play all the wargames. You will find entire rooms filled with a map of the world and some 90 year olds pushing piles of chits from the Austrailia table over to the Africa table. WotC also has taken Origins as their premier con now 5e D&D to mirror Paizo taking GenCon as theirs for Pathfinder/Starfinder. GenCon is more generalist boardgaming funtimes. Origins is more hardcore nards talking WW2 with non-stop beard stroking.

Maybe Origins is turning into a more generalized con these days? I didn't make this years, but I wanted to really go last year to check out a lot of new wargames that premiered there.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 6, 2018

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Well I hosed up and waited too long to figure out parking. The last 4 day pass sold out between the time I clicked it and hit buy, and ParkWhiz is sold out. Are there any other suggestions for nearby parking? Lyft is also an option but our hotel is 16 minutes away. The Lyft page estimates $12-16 a run but I guarantee it'll be higher for GenCon.

EDIT: Someone cancelled I guess! Snagged a Thursday-Sunday pass. Still need something for Wednesday but we can probably Lyft/Uber for that.

EDIT EDIT: Am I just missing them or are there no things like "Intro to Drawing" type events? I've seen all kinds of other art stuff.

Wednesday is pretty vacant, so parking might be cheaper that day. Otherwise expect about 22-30 / day parking. Uber/Lyft ran about $20 each way from an airport hotel about 10 mins away? We just parked, it was cheaper. I snagged one of those $10 passes this year. It's too bad the Uber pricing isn't like Vegas, it's literally $5 to go anywhere.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Still haven't seen a charge on my CC yet for the hotel block. I called the hotel and the chick was all annoyed and didn't know anything about Gencon and told me to call them. I called the Gencon hotel block help line and the lady said the hotel reservations haven't been sent to the hotels yet. She did confirm I am in the system with my hotel, though.

It's getting pretty f'ing close to Gencon here...

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Shows pending now, so ... progress. Whew.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I might try and snag the new WH40k RPG if any copies are available. If not, I wont be super disappointed, I'm not sure I have the time for it regardless. Outside of that, I'll be picking up a Rogue Trader reprint, some Critical Role mini and bust, and the Gencon only miniatures from SFG, Wild West Exodus, KDM, and a few other places.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

nesbit37 posted:

Are the critical roll minis going to be at Gen Con or are you talking about that winged Vax Steamforged is releasing as a con special?

Winged Vax and a bust of Yasha. https://store.steamforged.com/products/critical-role-yasha-bust The kickstarter minis wont be there.

Full list of GenCon Critical Role loot listed here:

https://critrole.com/2018-gen-con-merch-announcement/

WerrWaaa posted:

Do I have to order Minerva from Steamforged now, or can I just buy it at GC?

Buy it online and select store pickup. It will list Gencon as the store. I don't know if it will just be sold on it's own.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 26, 2018

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

nesbit37 posted:

Kind of a sad list of critical roll stuff. That said, I dont really know what I was expecting.

Yeah, me either. One shirt looks kind of neat, but I don't need more gaming shirts. I like the bust, and the Vax mini. The map is kind of neat, but I'm not sure what I would do with it. Dice.. So many dice. I have expensive metal dice that I will never replace.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Indian Food is like Mexican Food during a con.

Farty mcfarts the shotgun shitter poops-alot front row center please take a bow.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
If any of you guys go to Garycon, the badges went on sale 15 minutes ago.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

djfooboo posted:

Oh poo poo, my wife may be getting induced during GenCon :cry:

Sucks for her.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Probably going to head to other Cons in place. The lines are just too insane after dumping so much cash. I had a fun time, but I think I spent nearly 15 hours in lines for either shuttles, tickets, booths, food, etc. The past two years were so easy compared to this year, I don't know what changed.

But, I got all my loot I wanted. I played fun games. I ate good food. Made it back home safe. Next year I think we do Origins.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Ilor posted:

What, were you trying to recreate the PAX experience? Dude, get your event tickets and badge mailed to you. The only thing I waited in line for was delicious channa masala at Dhaba Indy. I didn't have to shuttle in or out, but GenCon is remarkably well suited to having to wait for nothing.

Will call took us 30 minutes. We just went and got dinner and saw a movie to chew off some time. It wasn't too bad.

This was our first year using Gate 10 Parking for $65 for the four days. Previous years we found parking under the mall for about $20 a day, or $80 for all 4 days. It was a pain to find parking spots, so we wanted to get rid of that pain. In place of that pain, we got waiting for shuttles in the heat and packed in like sardines with no AC. Both parking options are pretty miserable to be honest. The answer is to somehow get downtown housing with VIG or lotto and just paying Gate 10 to store your vehicle for four days.

It's just too busy for us. Maybe we're getting too old for it, I dunno. Trying to demo games we wanted to buy was surprisingly difficult as well. Guild Ball, we wanted to check it out, and pick up the game and two guilds. But they ran a demo at noon for a general audience and that was it, so we passed. Renegade looked really cool, but they only did demos at 4pm, which didn't line up with our schedule. I just simply asked if I could buy one of the sealed boxes that they have about 8 sitting there and they said that was demo-only. They didn't know where we could go buy it. I never found out, either. I don't care anymore because we were planning to play them at night with some pickup groups, but we ended up with Firefly Adventures which was cool. They let us buy that after demoing it.

It's just... too much going on for everyone involved I think.

Critical Role Live was absolutely loving fantasticly awesome and was the highlight for sure. Even though they miffed a few rules, they were still loving hilarious and they got revenge for the death of a member. The entire sold out theater was cheering SO LOUD. It was 4.5 hours long and I loved every single minute of it.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Ceebees posted:

PANZER DICE! MADE FROM 100% REAL DEAD PANZERS!!1!

I'm glad I didn't see this, because I would have lost $300 or whatever they were charging for it.