Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Super pumped, especially since I'll have a booth this year! I'll be getting in on Tuesday and leaving Monday. Just the beginning of stretching Gen Con into an all year affair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I mean, if you eat alone like a true goon even the super packed places will have 0 wait. Always at least one empty seat at the bar.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

selnaric posted:

But... Why?

I mean, if the place was so empty during one of the busiest 4 days of the year for Indy imagine what it was like the rest of the year.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Been a few years since I have been there. They open up any new hotel's downtown? Prices for them still like 3x the airport hotel?

Prices for downtown, in block, are around $200 each. So definitely more but not crazytown more.

Candlewood Suites Indianapolis Downtown $186 2.8 miles
Columbia Club $202 5 Blocks
Conrad Indianapolis $252-$287* 2 Blocks
Courtyard by Marriott Capitol $199 5 Blocks
Courtyard by Marriott Downtown $212-$232 skywalk**
Crowne Plaza at the Union Station $215* - $372 skywalk**
Embassy Suites Downtown $241-$251 skywalk**
Fairfield Inn & Suites Indianapolis Downtown $188-$218 skywalk**
Hampton Inn Downtown $200 2 Blocks
Hilton Garden Inn Indianapolis Downtown $211* 5 Blocks
Hilton Indianapolis Hotel & Suites $180*-$246 3 Blocks
Holiday Inn Indianapolis Downtown $200* 3 Blocks
Home2 Suites $216-$226 6 Blocks
Hyatt Regency Indianapolis $228* skywalk**
Indianapolis Marriott Downtown $229-$457 skywalk**
JW Marriott Indianapolis $240-$482 skywalk**
Le Meridien Indianapolis $239* skywalk**
Omni Severin $217* skywalk**
Sheraton Indianapolis City Center Hotel $208-$229 4 Blocks
Sleep Inn & Suites Downtown $185 2.3 Miles
SpringHill Suites Indianapolis Downtown $199-$219 skywalk**
Staybridge Suites Indianapolis City Centre $208-$233 3 Blocks
The Alexander $211-$222 5 Blocks
The Westin $216* skywalk**

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Mr.Trifecta posted:

This is the convention pricing right? Just trying to figure out budgets for this year.

Yes that is in block pricing. Double all of those (at least) for out of block rates.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I wish Gen Con's event registration went as smoothly as Gary Con's did today. I mean, the convention is 1/60th the size but still.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

LuiCypher posted:

I will seriously miss you guys at Shot Wednesday this year - the wife and I won't be going to GenCon this year (we need an off-year to break a personal tradition that's starting to feel more like an obligation rather than something to be enjoyed), but we'll be back the following year.

Maybe I will even bring the oft-threatened Malort (even at great risk to my personal health/life at the hands of EgoTrip)!

IN THE GUIDE. I will still update that poo poo to be relevant even if I'm not going.

As a note, these prices are for a standard two-bedroom, correct?

If by two bedroom you mean double bed then yes, same price for a king.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Good luck to you all for registration this weekend. I'll be doing the housing lottery for exhibitors this year. I really hope it is on a different circle of hell than the general lottery is.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
What are any of you doing eating things at Gen Con anyway? If you are consuming anything it should only be shots (and those only on Wednesday), and you should subsist the rest of the time on the tears of other games you are trouncing in games all week.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Slandible posted:

I plan on eating Haveli and Island Noodles exclusively this year.

I think you're going to get sick of those noodles pretty quick with Haveli being closed and all.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Len posted:

Anyone have any tips of convincing the fiancee into getting a Gencon wedding? I mean I'll already be there, everyone I want to invite will already be there, and who doesn't want an obese man dressed as slave Leia in all the wedding pictures?

If you're legit curious @Yes_I_Like_Pie ‏ (on twitter) has a youtube video up of her wedding (or maybe it was vows renewal) at Gen Con from this (I think) this past year with Derek Gudar.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Philthy posted:

Thankfully they've been putting more effort into GaryCon which is by far my favorite con and it's just so chill and relaxed there.

Gary Con is also my favorite con! (sorry not sorry Gen Con) Are you heading there this March? I'm quite looking forward to it myself, especially since it sort of kicks off the con season for me. I am hitting a con in New Jersey next week but it pales in comparison to Gary Con, Gen Con, etc.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Badge price is the expense I am worried about least.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I just wrapped up my winter convention tour. Hit up the Philadelphia Bee Keeper Symposium (not really a game convention but I was showing a game there so...), Dreamation, Gary Con and Unpub 8. Gary Con is still my favorite convention, Unpub 8 was absolutely amazing for someone putting a game out this year, Dreamation was... ok. Next up for me is Origins and then Dice Tower Con. It's great going to all these cons but it also shows me just how special Gen Con is to me. It's always there, pulling at me, in the back of mind... Gen Con is coming... and that anticipation is eclipsing the excitement for all of these other cons I am hitting.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

Has Gary Con threatened to overwhelm the confines of Lake Geneva forcing history to unironically repeat itself?

It has. Attendance was at like 3000 this year and the hotel rooms for next year sold out in under 2 hours.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Yeah, the grung event was pretty cool. Some people got kind of drunk by the end of it and got a little annoying (mainly just because of how loud the whole room was growing) but it was great over all. A+++ would grung again.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Do you mean the return to Tamoachan epic? I've DMed a bunch of a the competitive epics and the scoring system, frankly, is busted and a joke. There is no standardization to it and it entirely depends on both how generous your DM, how difficult they run the encounters, and how well they do book keeping. I was really strict about it and ran a tough table the first time I DMed one of these (the D&D Open 2 or 3 years ago) and the table I rand had a score of around negative 115 point. The winning team had something like 2000 points. I don't know how that was even possible, even if you went into the dungeon naked. Its pretty borked IMO.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Yeah that was Return to Tamoachan this year.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I'm kind of sad I won't be doing any game events this year. I need to actually see if I can find some podcasts to be on about the game I'll be kickstarting in September/October. Anyone have any good tips on how to go about that?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Begging via email and twitter seems to be the way most manage it, other than looking for talks done by the podcast and handing out business cards

Yeah, was hoping there would be a better way but might have to do that. I made a bunch of connections at Unpub 8, hopefully I grow them at Origins in June. Main thing is I want to line stuff up to do while at Gen Con for people doing live stuff there.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

what do we call Pathfinder 2nd Edition? 3.875th edition?

This has my vote. Granted, I haven't read any of the playtest stuff, but I love how it seems they are doubling down on complexity with a 400+ page playtest rulebook.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
If you want to repel grognards karaoke will do it. Someone keeps bringing it up on the Gary con forums and everytime they do the grognards go into a murderous rage. I must be one of them because I, too, want to murder who ever is putting on karaoke at a gaming con.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

Holy poo poo they did it

Those madmen did it

They cut event listings from the physical book

Literally every single wargamer or gamer over 50 is now going to boycott

This makes me sad, but for different reasons than those wargamers. I hope they still let me download a CSV of the entire catalog for future updates to https://www.best50yearsingaming.com :(

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

clockworkjoe posted:

what's the game about?

The game is a worker placement and resource management game about bees where you have to survive for 1 year as a wild bee hive. It takes about 30 minutes a player, for 1 to 4 players, and I am going to be making some better prototype copies via the Game Crafter in the next month or two. I am happy to talk more about it here but I also don't want to gum up the Gen Con thread about it. That said, I do have a booth at Gen Con for this game so I'll probably talk more about it as a result of that as we get closer. I figure you all would like to hear about the hectic experiences of a first year exhibitor at Gen Con.

Also, we are doing a pin for Gen Con's copy of Pinny Arcade this year. We're getting 250 of these things to sell so I hope people buy them. Here is the current rendition by my graphic designer, let me know what you all think. Its carrying an orange cube because orange cubes represent pollen in the game.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I'm glad some of you like the bee pin!

Toshimo posted:

Also, do you have a PnP of this because I will deffo grab people locally and force them to play it for my amusement. PM or email me at toshimo@toshimo.com

No PnP right now. I haven't made one because I figured people wouldn't be interested in cutting out 80 hex tiles. If you're interested regardless, though, I might put one together based on the files we need to put together for the game crafter so let me know and I'll see about assembling that.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Clanpot Shake posted:

Is there anything for a teetotaler goon to do with goons? I went in 2016 and also didn't see any goons and most of what I saw discussed was barhopping with some games involved. Either way I'll be there. You will know me by my No Fun shirt.

If you want to stand out you're going to have to do more than wear the same shirt everyday like everyone else will be doing.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I love the auction so much, I really need to spend some more time there but I doubt its going to happen at all this year.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Do you know if Frank is coming back to the auction this year, Quarex? He hasn't had much luck with cons since his major social media and suave old man fail last year.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Excited to take a look at the events this year. I wonder how much ita grown from years past and when I can do some data analysis with the past years on http://best50yearsingaming.com

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I don't know if any of you do trade day but if so I have an event:

https://www.gencon.com/events/125989

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
There will be, in csv , if years past hold true (I certainly hope so at least).

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I should have checked before I typed my last post, here is a downloadable version of the current event catalog.

http://www.gencon.com/downloads/events.zip

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Pretty sure they redo it daily

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Do you all want me to recreate the goon gen con contact spreadsheet for this year? It was useful for a few years but since phones have gotten better it seems that groupme has essentially taken over. If any of you still would use it I am happy to put it back together for 2018.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I've been told this Sunday is when events open for sign up. So start wishlisting!

It feels very weird to me since I am wishlisting nothing this year. I am going to kind of miss the hair pulling out frustration that event registration can be.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Goon speed today all! Just remember, if you don't get into the events you want you can always come play my Bee Game with me in the dealers hall.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I like putting Critical Role on in the background while I do other things. I couldn't see watching/listening to all 3-4 hours of an episode weekly while paying attention to nothing else though. Also, I just watched the first episode of the new campaign this week after not watching any CR for about 6 months. Holy ads! Is there this much promotional stuff every week now?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Exhibit hall is up and we're in booth 3058! Not a great spot, but then again what is in Entrepreneur's Avenue.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Yay, I have box art! My illustrator turned this in recently and my graphic designer had a quick turn around on it. This is the game I have the booth at Gen Con for and the one we are going to have a pin for. What do you think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Thanks all!

Slimy Hog posted:

I'm stoked! What's the asking price for it going to be? Also, I'm assuming you will have copies for sale at your booth?

Not entirely sure yet. I am hoping the MSRP will be $40, but its going to depend on manufacturing costs which I am still working on quotes with. Rule of thumb for board games is the MSRP should be 4x-7x whatever it costs to make the game.

I won't have copies for sale, we're kickstarting it in the fall (most likely early September) so Gen Con is our last big in person outreach push. I should be selling games by Weird Giraffe Games at the booth as we have a tentative agreement for me to do that since they don't have a booth. I'll also have these cute little enamel pins for $10 so you can support the game before the kickstarter if you feel so inclined.

Toshimo posted:

Do I want to know why your goony bee game is 14 and up? :ohdear:

Two reasons. The first is, unlike most bee games, this one isn't aimed at kids. Its a worker placement and resource management game intended for people who like Euro games. The second reasons is legal. If you say your game is for anyone 13 or younger and ship it to Europe you have to actually have it tested and proven its good for those ages. That costs money I don't want to spend. This is why a lot of games have a higher age limit than you really need to be to play them. If you aren't planning on selling in Europe the same rules apply then its for 12 years old and younger.

Toshimo posted:

Does it have fukken cubes?

Or bee-shaped meeples?

It does have cubes! I hope you like cubes, because the game is going to come with 108 of them. It also is coming with bee related meeples. Here are some prototypes:

Dr. Quarex posted:

Nesbit37 last name be like

My last name did that the first time someone asked me to make them a pair of shoes in kindergarten.