Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I'll be around Wednesday, but admittedly the Rath profoundly wasn't for me, I might skip that meetup this year.

open_sketchbook posted:

Hey all I'm going to be there running as much Flying Circus as my body allows me to run. I will have regular game, Dawn Patrol (the WW1 version) and maybe early Shieldmaidens (the jet-powered version). I'll just be Around running it randomly, so if you run into me and have time and wanna fly planes we can do that!

Love to if I can find the time! I was a backer but haven't had time to absorb it yet, so getting thrown in the deep end sounds fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Root is the game I really wanted to try after seeing it at Origins, I'd love to give it a whirl.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Dr. Quarex posted:

I singlehandedly updated Waze with like two long-term closures it clearly did not know about last night; you are welcome. *flies off*

Thanks!

Texibus posted:

I will leave an event if it isn't fun or the people are insufferable. I don't owe these people my time, also why would you want someone at your table if they are miserable?

Yeah, I've done that. No time at a con for bad gaming, doubly so for GenCon.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Aren't the alleged benefits of Gamescience dice ruined by the fact that the molds are usually old and poorly maintained? I know their booth looks like it came out of 1980 and not in a good way.

There is likely a benefit, but it's variable - i.e. Gamescience dice will be more consistent overall than Chessex from what I can tell, but you could end up with an individual Chessex die that's more "fair" than a Gamescience die just due to luck in the molding process. Secondly, there were quality issues when the Gamescience dice were being produced by Gamestation, which is why Zocchi fought to regain control. Gamescience dice are more likely to have sprue issues (which can be sanded off, but it's an issue with not being tumbled). Lastly, to see any difference you probably have to roll around a thousand times, as the deviations tend to be under 1% unless you've got some really bad dice.

From looking at all the tests that have been done, there are benefits, but they're minuscule and "dicey", so it's up to you whether or not that's worth worrying about.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

GenConspicuous Consumption.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Lawen posted:

drat, I saw a DropMix banner near the Upper Deck booth and went looking for a demo but couldn't find it setup anywhere. I've been wanting to try it out before I buy it on Amazon and if I'd seen it for sale there I probably would've impulse bought it.

Upper Deck wasn't even selling anything associated with it when I asked, it was just an ad for branded merch coming out at some point under their banner. I got it at the auction as probably my most impulsiest moment of the whole convention.

I meant to ask Mattel about some Transformers promo card and just forgot, I'll have to see if the internet can guide me on that.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

OB_Juan posted:

Is that a ussr rifts book? How is it?

I've only done a flip-through, but it's relatively decent for a Rifts book so far, at least on the sliding scale that Palladium books exist on. Issues with Soviet-era imagery aside, the Soviets were the most interesting faction in the older Russia books for Rifts, and this expands the original material.

Ilor posted:

How did you manage to buy multiple Palladium products without someone staging an intervention? Did your friends leave you unsupervised for too long?

Are you kidding? I got a text on the first day on the con from a friend who'd gotten an issue of The Rifter for me. My friends are a bunch of enablers. That being said, all I did was use the traditional GenCon Palladium coupon to pick up the newest book at a discount and then found three books for $5 in the auction consignment store. Not exactly breaking the bank on these.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Dr. Quarex posted:

How did I not recognize you bidding on this, is my question? Honestly that was my favorite "what the hell is this and how does it exist" moment of auctioneering

I can't say! That was also one of those embarrassing "oh I was bidding against somebody I know" moments that happens in the auction. There was a wealthy guy we brought along from the local gaming club, I think this was his first GenCon and he bid on literally anything if it was under two digits in price when I was watching him. He refused my offer to room with him, saying he didn't have enough room- now I know he wasn't just talking nonsense, I suppose.

As for what it is precisely, well, I'll figure that out soon enough. I just know everything I've gotten from music game developer Harmonix ever since Amplitude is at the very least interesting and generally overambitious, so I'm looking forward to it when I have the time.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

theironjef posted:

I bought a few copies of the defunct Rifts CCG starter deluxe box, walked over to Kevin to get him to sign it, and after asking where I got it and what I paid for it, he sent one of his people to go buy the store out of the rest of them.

Ha ha, wish I'd known it was around, I didn't make nearly as many foolish GenCon decisions as necessary this year.

I had him sign Sovietski but I've been getting the impression he's perfectly aware of who I am. (It's on my badge, so it's not exactly a Holmesian mystery.) He still signed it, mind, so he's a trooper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

8one6 posted:

The weirdest goddamn thing was running into a listener of my podcast from Australia at Gen Con 2014 completely at random.

Like, statistically that shouldn't have happened because Underdiscussion only has like 100 listeners.

I've had "Are you the guy that does those reviews?!" more than once even though I'd presume my readership is in the dozens at best. I know some stuff like the Pathfinder review has gotten wider distribution thanks to Reddit and the like, but it's always weird because I'm really blind to what my audience is out there; I don't do much promotion to speak of.