Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.
Hey all! I'm the rules editor / usability dev for Leder Games, and I'd be glad to answer any Qs you have here, through PM, or on BGG. As far as the walkthrough sheets go, the game does indeed prompt you to start with certain cards and set up in a certain way, as detailed on page 3 of the learn-to-play guide and the walkthrough setup cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

Slimy Hog posted:

Personally, I would have liked a little explanation WHY we were taking the actions listed on the walkthrough sheet. It felt weird starting the game with "I get some wood and build a sawmill with it somehow and for some reason"

That's fair. The idea, as outlined in the learn-to-play, is that one player has read the rules and can answer such "why" questions as they come up, since everyone is going to have different questions. The walkthrough sheet alone is not sufficient to teach both the mechanics and the strategic reasoning behind Root, since it's a rather intricate game. Additionally, the faction overview cards and the faction board backs give more grounding in why a faction does what it does.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, it comes with a second Vagabond board and new character cards for them and the item tiles for playing with 2 in a game. They share drawn quest cards but otherwise operate independently.

Now who is going to play a 2 player vagabond vs vagabond game and report back? :v:

What this guy said. :)

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Thanks for responding. As Slimy Hog also noted, my group probably missed the crucial bits in the rules (our excuse was "playing in the big open-play table area with lots of crowd noise and Fantasy Flight announcers calling tournament results every 2-3 minutes"). Once we got past the confusion, everything clicked into place and we all grasped the mechanics.

So we're all really excited about playing again, which I think speaks pretty highly for Root. Thanks again!

Glad to hear it! We're all very happy with the response.

OgreNoah posted:

Regarding Root, is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTN1mLAHySs the best current playthrough video? We played one game on the fly, but I want to make sure I'm doing things right. It was a lot of fun but the Eyrie ran away with the game pretty easily it seemed.

Yes, this video is the best currently. Though it does take a while to get off the ground, it's very thorough!

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

SirPhoebos posted:

Marquise can only use the recruit action once a turn?

checks big rule book

I think that could have been made clearer on the Marquise's board.