Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I've wishlisted a few events but how does that work exactly? Does it just give you any easy way to link to all of the events you want once they open for registration?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

~4500 in line, all of my events were sold out :rip:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Haystack posted:

There's India Garden, which is about twice as far as Haveli's was. And a placed called Spice Box in the City Market. Haven't tried either, but they're probably decent.

Spice Box is good but not remarkably so. City market in general is a pretty solid place to get lunch, lots of good options and it's not too much of a walk.

I haven't found an Indian place in Indy I really like since Spice Nation closed.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Whenever I've ordered goat it has tasted just like lamb but with more bones and less meat, so I've given up on it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Fellis posted:

Hmm all these exotic sounding food options...is there anyplace I can get food with the texture/taste/spiciness of mayonaise in Indy?

Not really, Indiana takes most of it's culinary cues from Indonesia.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Indiana received some road funding a few years back and has been doing an insane amount of road construction ever since. I drove to Ohio last week and crossing the state line was like the driving version of an allergy medication commercial. 465, the main highway looping around the city, has haphazard lane closures that will bring traffic to a crawl, particularly late at night. I recommend driving as little as possible.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

There's a nice Ethiopian place called Axum that's about a 30 minute walk from the convention center and has a lot of vegan-friendly options. I assume that's healthy :shrug:

Ethiopian food is good but maybe look up what it is if you've never had it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Dr. Quarex posted:

Ethiopian food is so goddamn good that I might consider joining a caravan if it happened at JUST THE RIGHT TIME (though I would drive, come on now, I can even walk under my own power but 30 minutes is far)

There's actually several choices for Ethiopian food in town but Axum is the only one I've tried. I think the others are fancier/pricier, so, depending on what you're looking for.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Carteret posted:

Root is terrible, don't buy it.

no seriously it's awesome but I'm scared it will sell out before I can get my copy. It's a strategy, you see.

I ended up playing a demo this morning and then went to their booth and got the game and like the 10th last expansion. The meeples are extremely cute.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Does anyone know if the space marines they're giving away at the paint and take area are normal or primaris? I'd never painted a space marine before and was kind of shocked at how huge they were.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Did anyone else think "wait the Dice Tower guy died?" when they saw all the Jack Vasel memorial fund signs?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Did anyone else go to the 'stume contest? The guy next to me never realized that that big group near the end was doing a bit and got increasingly angry about them using the event to "promote their book".

Philthy posted:

It's just too busy for us. Maybe we're getting too old for it, I dunno. Trying to demo games we wanted to buy was surprisingly difficult as well. Guild Ball, we wanted to check it out, and pick up the game and two guilds. But they ran a demo at noon for a general audience and that was it, so we passed. Renegade looked really cool, but they only did demos at 4pm, which didn't line up with our schedule. I just simply asked if I could buy one of the sealed boxes that they have about 8 sitting there and they said that was demo-only. They didn't know where we could go buy it. I never found out, either. I don't care anymore because we were planning to play them at night with some pickup groups, but we ended up with Firefly Adventures which was cool. They let us buy that after demoing it.

Ugh, I wanted to check out Guild Ball but their learn to play event entailed buying a guild starter for like $54 and assembling it in the gaming hall. No thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Caedar posted:

That's fair. The idea, as outlined in the learn-to-play, is that one player has read the rules and can answer such "why" questions as they come up, since everyone is going to have different questions. The walkthrough sheet alone is not sufficient to teach both the mechanics and the strategic reasoning behind Root, since it's a rather intricate game. Additionally, the faction overview cards and the faction board backs give more grounding in why a faction does what it does.

That's how it worked out when I demoed it but it sounds like not everyone had that experience. Our board actually wasn't set up quite exactly right so we had to deviate from the walkthrough a bit which required more explanations. I also tend to ask a ton of questions when demoing games which probably helped.

I ended up picking up the game and the expansion since it sounded like that would really expand the options for doing 2P with my girlfriend. We've played the base game a few times as cats vs. birds and she has kicked my rear end every time with both factions :cry: