Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Memes?
Dash Rendar
#TeamNorton
Dance With The Angels
SHOOT VISARI!
View Results

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Cooked Auto posted:

Surprise, the stuffing is either petrucite or a bioweapon.

It’s both, depending on how far you are through the plot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

It's a virus that makes you explode into lightning?
Brutal.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

sb hermit posted:

Also, congrats to nine gear crow, sally, cjakes, and SubponticatePoster for enduring the killzone, and showing this thread the true meaning of shakespeare

now I'm off to make some traditional Helghast turkey stuffing
I really contributed nothing other than showing up for a couple of videos. Props to the other guys who have been dealing with this poo poo for like 8 years.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SubponticatePoster posted:

I really contributed nothing other than showing up for a couple of videos. Props to the other guys who have been dealing with this poo poo for like 8 years.

I just wish we had you on since the start of the LP, hell going all the way back to Killzone 2/Liberation (not Killzone 1 though, if I had it all to do over again, I wouldn't inflict Killzone 1 on anyone). You were an absolute blast to commentate with!

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Cooked Auto posted:

It's a virus that makes you explode into lightning?
Brutal.

I general, I'm a little disappointed with the weapon variety in the game, these people have magic open top SSTO trucks, invisibility on demand cloaks, and backpacks of holding full of missiles, but they still shoot at each other with gunpowder guns or weapons that perform the same until the endgame is reached and then there's a little more variety.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
It's not the Multiplayer or Co-Op videos, but CJacobs and I recorded a little something today that will probably be dropping the the coming week, so stay tuned for that as well.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/207253575347339274/896188168024490044/physics_zone.mp4

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

He just scatman-ed his way out of our plain of existence. Who is this unknown villian? :suspense:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
THINGS TO COME

https://i.imgur.com/EQllc95.mp4
(sound on)

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

CJacobs posted:

THINGS TO COME

you sound a little miffed

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

drkeiscool posted:

you sound a little miffed

Merely flabbergasted at the man's acrobatics, I spent most of it like this

https://i.imgur.com/n0cFaE5.mp4

and keeping the others from diving over the cliff of sanity into the abyss of misery. I'm the emotional carry!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i am not involved in this so i am getting hyped

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

CJacobs posted:

and keeping the others from diving over the cliff of sanity into the abyss of misery. I'm the emotional carry!

lol

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

:same:

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

CJacobs posted:

is complete domination one word or two

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
it'a hyphenated

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Nice little detail while we’re out here, if you look down you can see Kellan’s dirty boot prints all over Stahl’s CRISP WHITE SHEETS clean steel landing pad.

By the way, this is how I know none of you actually read any of these updates: nobody called me out on this one.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

nine-gear crow posted:

By the way, this is how I know none of you actually read any of these updates: nobody called me out on this one.

i don't see anything wrong though :confused:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also here's a brief taste of the live Co-Op commentary:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/836018627898507284/898108487517732925/tyran.mp3

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

drkeiscool posted:

i don't see anything wrong though :confused:

same. is this an angel tax thing?

i noticed it!!!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Sally posted:

same. is this an angel tax thing?

i noticed it!!!

AC7, not AC6, but yeah.

i have the gangtag for it, why would I call out crow on making a completely reasonable and good reference? :confused:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

And thus begins the first of the post-script updates. The game is done, well, the portion of the game that most people experienced is done. Now it’s time to dive head-long in the murky waters of multiplayer. To my surprise, Shadow Fall actually still has a fairly robust multiplayer scene, even well over a decade after its release. But we’ll talk more about that in the update that focuses on the PVP side of things. This update is all about co-op, baby!

Sadly there is no video for either the Intercept DLC nor the Multiplayer Safari. We DID record footage for both, but it turns out a number of technical hiccups derailed the whole process after the fact, so you’ll just have to take my word for everything. If you want to see the DLC in action for yourself, there are numerous videos from other sources provided here:

Killzone: Shadow Fall: Intercept. Sold separately as DLC on the PlayStation Store, Intercept is Shadow Fall’s co-op mode. The DLC is effectively an extremely complex horde mode mini-game. You and up to three other players face off against waves of Helghast of varying configurations and have to defend a central base and three beacons placed around the map in a triangular pattern.

In the central base is both a “Bank” and a terminal that you can insert petrusite capacitors into to buy advantages, more on that in a bit.

Everything you do in Intercept earns Valor points which contribute to the overall score of the team. Each of the four classes has certain things that earn them more points than they do for the others, like killing enemies for the Assault class and reviving teammates for the Medic class, etcetera. However, in order to actually contribute those points to your victory margin, you will need to cash them in at the Bank in the main base.

If you die, the uncashed points you have on you are lost, and it costs 50 Valor to respawn, eating into your team’s score. A multiplier bonus on your points is in effect as well based on a countdown timer. If you can hold out cashing in your points until the timer reaches zero, you will earn additional Valor based on the multiplier level. But playing a game of chicken with the multiplier means putting all your points at risk, as the longer you tend play in Intercept, the more likely it will be that you’re going to eat poo poo and die eventually.

If the game senses that things aren’t going in the team’s favor, it will occasionally drop a petrusite capacitor or two on the map. If a player can grab one and bring it back to the terminal in the base, they can cash it in for a variety of one-time upgrades to help the entire team, like giving everyone a Purger minigun, or more strategic balance-tipping options like calling in a mortar strike on the Helghast, or instantly recapturing all three beacons, or giving everyone one free respawn. A well-timed and well-chosen terminal purchase can set your team on the road to victory.

Keeping as many beacons under allied control is key, as beacons captured by the Helghast will begin to drain Valor from your points total. The more beacons in enemy hands, the quicker you will lose Valor. If your score drops to zero, the game ends in defeat. Clearing the score threshold wins the match.

Intercept is a massive battle of attrition, with every move having a risk and reward metric to it. Teamwork and communication is key, as is knowing your chosen role inside and out and playing to its strengths.

However, should you pull off a win, you’re treated to an extremely cathartic display of the stage you spent upwards of an hour or more battling away at getting blown the gently caress up in spectacular fashion.

Occasionally, a boss character will spawn with certain waves. There is a random chance of either Tyran, Saric, or Echo appearing with a new wave of Helghast. All three have higher health points than standard enemy Helghast and each wields a unique ability or weapon as well. Tyran utilizes the petrusite shield and drone buddies from his boss fight in Chapter 9. Saric has a Purger minigun. And Echo utilizes the Emergency Teleport ability to escape from danger if she’s pressured.

Bosses will normally spawn in with a crew of goons that are thematically similar to them. Tyran shows up with a bunch of Black Hand dingbats. Saric is flanked by Commandos. And Echo is backed up by a team of Helghast snipers. All in addition to the usual trash mobs the game will throw at you.

Intercept also has an announcer character, similar to the Administrator from Team Fortress 2, in the form of an unseen omniscient VSA handler. We’ve affectionately dubbed him “Sully” due to his voice actor’s vocal resemblance to one Victor “Sully” Sullivan of Uncharted fame played by Richard McGonagle, and, allegedly, by Mark Wahlberg. The announcer will be in your ear constantly, providing you mission-critical updates on everything ranging from new Helgoon wave spawns, to lost/recaptured beacons, to how close you are to either victory and defeat. There are many things you do at your own peril in Intercept—ignoring Sully is at the top of that list.

There are four classes to play as in Intercept, each with their own unique strengths, weaknesses, and role on the team. Each class can only have one player playing as it at a time. You can change classes between respawn but only if another player gives up their role so you can take the open one. Matches can be won or lost on who is playing what class at what time.

The Assault class is your soldier, the close-quarters main damage dealer. They will be taking on the brunt of the Helghast forces and have highly powerful assault weaponry to do the job as well as a Robot Buddy ability, Speed Dash, and a one-time full heal mapped on the D-Pad. The Assault player can quickly flank enemies and clear them out of an area in large numbers, far more than the other three classes can, but has no complex abilities at their disposal and will often eat the most deaths of any class because of its frontline role.

The Medic is the lifeblood of the team. Armed with only an SMG by default, the Medic is responsible for reviving fallen teammates, and keeping them in the fight with supply crates to refill ammo and health, and a dedicating healing drone that casts an area of effect healing circle around them that continually replenishes the health of any player inside the radius. Playing without a Medic on the squad is probably the riskiest move you can make in Intercept.

The Marksman is your sniper class and primary source of intelligence on the waves of enemies swarming around the map that doesn’t come from the announcer. The way to be an effective Marksman is to take advantage of the high points around the map (usually the top level or roof of the main base structure in the center of the map) and keep your team appraised of the enemies movements while picking off targets of opportunity wherever you find them. In terms of abilities, the Marksman has access to the Speed Dash and one-time full heal powers that the Assault class does, and the Stun Drone spawn.

The Tactician role is your engineer. Much like the Medic, you only have access to a sidearm when playing as the Tactician and cannot pick up another weapon. Instead, your primary weapons in Intercept are three spawnable turret emplacements that can be dropped just about anywhere, with a Nano Shield as your fourth ability. The Tactician’s job is to reinforce defensible positions with heavy cover fire from their turrets to make the other three classes’ jobs easier. A beacon, for example, can be defended by dropping three turrets around it at its 12, 3, and 9 o’clock positions and then dropping a Nano Shield at its 6 and covering it manually. All kills racked up by the turrets are added to the Tactician’s points and can then be banked at the Tactician’s convenience.

Intercept was probably the most fun I’ve had playing Shadow Fall over the course of this entire LP project including the practice runs I did at the game in preparation for the LP itself. It’s fast and fluid and just complex enough that it needles you along towards figuring out how it wants you to play, and rewards you mightily for it once you figure it out. I’m generally not a fan of competitive multiplayer games, but co-op is my jam and playing this mode with CJakes and SP was incredibly refreshing and a better note to start truly bringing the curtain down on than I’d ever expected when I first suggested it to them. We were just going to do straight multiplayer, but I was like “well, poo poo, Intercept is really cheap, let’s just show it off and be done with it” and then over the course of a day or two’s practice runs and the final live-fire video where we figured out how to be good at it, I found myself legitimately enjoying things—something I rarely did in the actual normal multiplayer mode of the game.

I don’t regret for a second doing any of this and if you have a copy of Shadow Fall for yourself and can somehow convince three friends to spend an evening or two giving Intercept a go, it’s well worth the money spent on it. The most glowing testimonial on that front has to be from CJacobs, who after rating Shadow Fall near-dead-last in the hierarchy of Killzones at one point, told me that he could see himself replaying Intercept in the future, it was that good of a game mode.

Before we go, we’ve also got one final set of weapons to talk about, which I promised we’d touch on at the end of the base game. The Intercept DLC also gives you access to three legacy Killzone weapons for use on your four team roles. The Insurgent DLC pack also gives you access to these weapons for use in the PVP multiplayer portion of Shadow Fall as well.

They are, in no particular order:

The ISA M82 Assault Rifle. Originally appearing in Killzones 2, Mercenary, and 3, the M82 is the previous generation predecessor to the VSA M55 Rumbler. It sports a number of visual changes from its last appearance in Mercenary/Killzone 3 for its return in Shadow Fall. The underslung flashlight has been replaced with a forward grip, and in the place of the dual duct taped together magazines, there is only a single one seen in its reload animation.

The M82 is largely a reskin of the Rumbler doing roughly the same amount of damage per hit as the M55, only with a larger bullet spread causing it to be less accurate over all than the Rumbler. Being a DLC weapon, the M82 has no unlockable attachments, but comes standard with a foregrip attachment and holo sight.

Players looking to get the most out of the M82 in multiplayer should use it while playing as a Support class character, as it will give them the offensive capabilities equivalent to an Assault class player and forms a decent counter to the Assault class’s M55 Rumbler equip option.

The ISA LS12 sub machine gun. The LS12 SMG is a brand new weapon for Shadow Fall combining elements of the LS12 Ripper pistol and the LS21 Valk SMG. It is also the only sidearm of the Insurgent DLC pack.

The LS12 SMG has one of the highest rates of fire outside of the Purger minigun and one of the quickest reload animations of Shadow Fall’s weapons spread, but offsets this by its massive recoil kickback. As such it’s recommended to only be fired in short bursts and using hip fire rather than aiming down sights due to its high accuracy.

Like all the DLC weapons, the LS12 SMG has no unlockable attachments and comes with a standard ISA holo sight as its only option. The LS12 SMG is the default weapon of the Medic class in Intercept, and is considered a short to medium range weapon at best and a sidearm compliment to either longer range weaponry or other close quarters weapons like the Sickle or the Breacher.

The final of the three DLC weapon is the StA14 sniper rifle, seen in Killzone 3. The StA14 is a long range rapid fire semi-automatic sniper rifle. It functions as a battle rifle option for the Scout class in multiplayer and is one of the equip options for the Marksman in Intercept.

The StA14 has a fast rate of fire and a large magazine (12 rounds), but is balanced by a slow reload time. The StA14 has no unlockable attachments but comes equiped by default with a variation of the Helghast ACOG sight.

So that’s it for the DLC weapons, let’s round this out by talking about the remaining four guns I never got the chance to cover in Single Player.

Let’s start with the LS36 Breacher. The Breacher is a rapid fire semi-automatic shotgun designed for short range close quarters engagements. While lacking the raw per-shot force of the VC30 Sickle, the Breacher can rapidly pump an overwhelming series of shots into an enemy before they even have time to react.

The LS36 only has one unlockable attachment, a holo sight, making it the easiest weapon in the game to “master”, with only one challenge to it: kill 10 enemies with it. Other than that it comes with a dot laser sight standard. Its design was heavily influenced by Helghast weaponry, particularly ones made by Stahl Arms, featuring a bullpup design similar to older Helghast shotguns and a cylindrical drum magazine mounted at the back of the gun.

The Breacher is probably one of the rarest guns you will encounter in single player for Shadow Fall. I’ve played through the game roughly 3 times now, and I never once managed to pick one up until I started playing multiplayer, where it quickly became my favorite weapon to deploy with. It is the perfect balance of speed and power and is a great message-sender weapon, if you know what I mean. I can easily see why it’s such a unicorn gun in single player. If you thought the Sickle comically upended the game, the Breacher bends it over its knee and turns it into a silly straw shape.

In Intercept, the Assault class fields a Breacher modified with incendiary ammo as their primary weapon. It is given an insane power boost for co-op to compensate for the fact that you are being pitted against far more enemies coming in organized waves compared to the sporadic chaos of PVP multiplayer.

The M6 Punt rail pistol. The M6 Punt is the successor to the ISA M4 revolver and is one of the two VSA sidearms seen in Shadow Fall, the other being the LS12 Ripper.

The Punt features a similar rail gun set up to the LS44 Spoor, and needs to be charged up for at least two seconds by holding down the R2 trigger button before it can be fired. The Punt has the second lowest rate of fire in the game, but makes up for it with its incredibly high damage potential. Head or torso shots that successfully land are one-hit kills.

The M6 Punt’s attachment features include an underslung flashlight, an ISA ACOG sight, and an underslung laser pointer.

The penultimate weapon in Shadow Fall’s armory is the StA101 Kameraad. The Kameraad is a multiplayer exclusive weapon, much like the LS36 Breacher and the M6 Punt, encounters with it in single player are rare if not non-existent.

The Kameraad is built on the same frame as the StA59B Pulver assault rifle and is a rapid fire semi-automatic sniper rifle. The Kameraad has the longest effective range of any weapon in the game, but is relatively weak for a sniper rifle, taking three body shots to down a target. The Kameraad received a significant upgrade in one of Shadow Fall’s patches to improve its rate of fire and overall stats. It is actually recommended more for use as a mid-range battle rifle than a long-range sniper rifle thanks to its fast semi-auto rate of fire.

The StA101 has several attachments which can be unlocked in multiplayer. In addition to coming equipped with a Helghast holo sight standard, it also features options for an ACOG sight, a Scope X4 sight, as well as an underslung taser attachment, a silencer, or an E-Stun underslung missile launcher.

And lastly, our final gun of Killzone: Shadow Fall, the LS70 Fors energy sniper rifle. Much like the Breacher, Punt, and Kameraad, the Fors is basically a multiplayer exclusive weapon. I don’t recall ever encountering it in single player, and with good reason.

The Fors is basically an even more powerful version of the LS44 Spoor’s alt-fire railgun. It’s single shot magazine can only be fired when aiming with the scope, it cannot be hip fired. With only one round in the chamber at a time, the Fors takes 3.3 seconds to fully reload, capping its maximum firing speed at an abysmally slow 13 rounds per minute, making it the slowest weapon in the game. The trade off is that the LS70 is one of the most powerful small arms weapons in the game. It is one of the few weapons that does anti-material splash damage even if you miss your intended target, and shots that connect anywhere on the body are a one-hit kill.

In terms of attachments, the LS70 Fors comes equipped by default with the Scope x4, with the option to swap out for a variable Scope x4/x10 by completing two challenges: killing 25 enemies with the Fors and headshotting 10 enemies with the Fors. For a sniper rifle, the LS70 has a wide array of underslung attachment options consisting of a taser, a silencer, and an E-Stun missile.

The LS70 Fors is the ultimate high risk/high reward weapon in Shadow Fall. Challenging to use effectively, but downright unstoppable in the hands of a master, it can easily turn the tide of a match if utilized properly. The Fors is also one of the Marksman’s equip options in Intercept.

Coming up next time, we’ll be discussion the player-versus-player half of Killzone: Shadow Fall’s multiplayer side. Surprisingly, the game still to this day, as of this writing in 2022, has a strong and active multiplayer scene, albeit one largely dominated by people who seem to do basically nothing but play the game nonstop in multiplayer.

But that’s for another time.

Renders of the four Intercept Classes by Arno Schmitz and Christopher Brandstorm:

High Res renders of the three DLC weapons:

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Sep 10, 2023

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

This looks real fun! A good co-op addition to an fps is hard to find unless it's a game specifically built around it.

Did you usually just play with 3 people? And if so, then which class is regularly left out?

And what class did CJacobs play the most?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

sb hermit posted:

This looks real fun! A good co-op addition to an fps is hard to find unless it's a game specifically built around it.

Did you usually just play with 3 people? And if so, then which class is regularly left out?

And what class did CJacobs play the most?

As we got a feel for the game the three of us settled into what became our most effective roles. I played as the Marksman and was the in-field intel overwatch for us. CJacobs played Assault and put his Max Payne skills to use as the heavy hitter for the team. And SubponticatePoster played Medic and covered our dumb asses putting her experience as playing a support player in numerous other online FPSes to superb use. Sally, sadly, was unable to join us due to real life time commitments to otherwise fill out our team.

So the Engineer class generally went unplayed, though all three of us dabbled in it from time to time. However, we came to the conclusion that it was probably the more unviable of the four and easily sacrificed. That said, we had a rando from Japan crash the final 10 minutes of our lone victorious Intercept game and filled in as the Engineer, however they were unfortunately the odd person out, hobbled by both a language barrier and the fact that the three of us were playing on a private voice channel and thus couldn't hear anything we were saying anyway.

Like I said, Intercept gets my wholehearted endorsement. Shadow Fall usually retails for about $20 at most used game stores these days, and Intercept is about $6, plus however much you feel like shelling out for a PlayStation+ subscription. So if you can convince a couple of friends to drop that much on all of it, then honestly you'll have more fun playing that than Shadow Fall's main campaign itself.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

nine-gear crow posted:

As we got a feel for the game the three of us settled into what became our most effective roles. I played as the Marksman and was the in-field intel overwatch for us. CJacobs played Assault and put his Max Payne skills to use as the heavy hitter for the team. And SubponticatePoster played Medic and covered our dumb asses putting her experience as playing a support player in numerous other online FPSes to superb use. Sally, sadly, was unable to join us due to real life time commitments to otherwise fill out our team.

So the Engineer class generally went unplayed, though all three of us dabbled in it from time to time. However, we came to the conclusion that it was probably the more unviable of the four and easily sacrificed. That said, we had a rando from Japan crash the final 10 minutes of our lone victorious Intercept game and filled in as the Engineer, however they were unfortunately the odd person out, hobbled by both a language barrier and the fact that the three of us were playing on a private voice channel and thus couldn't hear anything we were saying anyway.

Like I said, Intercept gets my wholehearted endorsement. Shadow Fall usually retails for about $20 at most used game stores these days, and Intercept is about $6, plus however much you feel like shelling out for a PlayStation+ subscription. So if you can convince a couple of friends to drop that much on all of it, then honestly you'll have more fun playing that than Shadow Fall's main campaign itself.

Thanks!

I can see how the Tactician might be good for a player that doesn't want to rely as heavily on FPS skills, but turret placement seems less powerful than being able to simply shoot things or take a direct effort in keeping people alive.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
real-life commitments such as owning neither a PS4 nor a PS5 :p

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

So this is our final proper update of the Killzone: Shadow Fall LP, the Multiplayer Safari. Sadly though, it’s going to be more of a trip report than an actual safari as, just like with the co-op half of the post-game, the PVP multiplayer mode lacks a video accompaniment due to technical hangups and just outright laziness on my part.

Nevertheless, I’ll endeavor to give you as comprehensive a breakdown of everything Shadow Fall multiplayer as I can, because at the very least, CJacobs, SubponticatePoster and myself put in the work to thoroughly get a feel for it to bring this post to you regardless.

Multiplayer in Shadow Fall can be accessed at any point by scrolling through the game’s top menu with the L1 or R1 shoulder buttons and selecting the Multiplayer tap. This is also how you access the Intercept co-op mode one tab over.

Shadow Fall’s multiplayer mode has eight game modes, called Missions: Team Death Match, Beacon Retrieval, Search and Destroy, Beacon Theft, Beacon Safeguard, Capture and Hold, Capture and Connect, and Capture and Move.

You can play online against either real opponents over the internet, or in a BOT Zone against AI opponents and allies of various difficulty levels customized to your standards. The BOT Zone can help you learn how to play effectively in multiplayer.

The most popular of these modes is Team Death match, a very self-explanatory concept. There are two teams, ISA and Helghast. You are placed on one these teams and collectively every kill your team racks up contributes to a points total which decides the winner at the end of the match. Every time you get killed, it adds to the other team’s point total.

Individually, every kill you rack up (in any of the 8 multiplayer game modes) contributes to your own personal score and stats. You will earn Valor points with each kill, assist, or other battlefield accomplishment which you can then spend on randomized loot boxes that will unlock certain upgrades or abilities. The more you play, the higher your rank will go which will level up your unlocked abilities.

You can also complete challenges with various weapons and abilities to unlock attachments for weapons and other perks as well.

At the end of the match, the winning team is presented with a victory screen where the top scoring players on the winning team will execute the top scoring player on the losing team. However, the losing player has a chance to pull off a quick time move to turn the tables on their would be executioner for some last second payback with a kill move of their own. It’s a nice little way of providing a morale booster to the losing team by seeing one of their guys stick it to the victors as everyone gets ready for the next round.

Beacon Retrieval, Theft, and Safeguard are relatively similar in their concepts. It’s basically Capture the Flag; a beacon is spawned on the map and you or someone else on your team will need to capture it and do something with it depending on the mission. In Beacon Retrieval, a lone beacon is spawned in neutral territory and needs to be returned to a point near your base. In Beacon Theft, two beacons are spawned near each team’s base and if they can be captured and returned to the opposing base, that team gets points. And in Beacon Safeguard, your team simply needs to possess the beacon for the most amount of time compared to the enemy.

The Capture and… missions are quite similar as well. Littered around every multiplayer map are inactive terminals. When a Capture mission is in play, some of these terminals will become momentarily active. Neutral terminals are denoted by a white glow surrounding them, enemy-held terminals are denoted with an orange glow, and allied-held terminals, as seen above, are denoted with a green glow.

In Capture and Hold, a team must take ownership of all three objective points, marked A, B and C on the map, and hold on to them for as long as possible and prevent the enemy team from taking them back. The team who holds the most points the longest wins the mission.

In Capture and Connect, five objective points are activated across the map marked A, B, C, D, and E and are connected by temporarily visible wires. The objective is to capture all five point and “connect” them. The first team to have all five points in their possession wins the mission.

In Capture and Move, the objective marker is constantly moving around the map. The goal of Capture and Move is to be the team who holds the objective point for the longest cumulative time when the timer reaches 0:00.

And lastly, Search and Destroy.

Search and Destroy is divided into two sub-modes, Attack and Defend. If your team is on the attack, you will need to find two designated targets on the map and place detonation charges on them, and then hold off the defense until the detonation timer elapses. If your team can destroy both targets, you win the match. If your team is on the defense, you will need to keep the enemy from destroying the targets, either by keeping the objectives well defended, or by deactivating any detonation charges placed on them by the enemy team. If you can survive the round with both objectives untouched, your team wins the match. One destroyed target and one surviving target, while technically a stalemate, counts as a win for the defenders.

Winning each round gives one of the two teams a point on a scoreboard. You can set an overall score total to win the game completely in a quasi-tournament mode, like we show off in the Botzone half of the multiplayer video, or you can set it so that there’s no victory threshold and the game will continue forever no matter who wins each individual round, like the main Team Death Match warzone is set to.

Much like the PS3 Killzones, Shadow Fall’s multiplayer mode allows you to deploy in one of several pre-fashioned character classes. There are three available in the base game: Assault, Support, and Scout, with a fourth class, Insurgent, available as part of the Insurgent Pack DLC.

The Assault class is the primary damage dealer of Multiplayer and any Team Death Match team. They are a blunt, frontline class and have access to the largest spread of weaponry of the three classes, but are limited to assault rifles and machine guns mostly.

The Assault class racks up the highest number of kills (ideally), but also scores the highest number of deaths by contrast. It has five* abilities to make use of.

The Nano Shield, which drops a person-width hard light barrier in front of you that can be employed by any friendly unit. The shield can stop incoming enemy fire while allowing friendly fire to pass through it. If multiple Assault players are working in tandem, they can set up a barricade across a strategic position with multiple Nano Shields grouped together.

The second is the Stun Blast, a split-second burst of petrusite energy that can momentarily blind enemy players in the immediate area of the blast.

The third is the Speed Dash, which lets Assault Players move at double speed for a set length of time.

The fourth is the Robot Buddy. This is basically the Multiplayer equivalent to OWL in attack mode. Unlike OWL, however, the Assault class’s automata will stick close by them at all times and follow them around the map instead of wandering off and seeking targets on its own. It’s an extra set of guns and eyes looking out for you while it’s spawned, and any kills it gets are credited to you. It can also survive on the battlefield for a time if you die and rack up revenge kills before it despawns.

A fifth ability is unlocked by purchasing the Insurgent DLC: the E-Pulse Emitter. This beacon will disrupt and destroy enemy electronics in a nearby area, but unlike the Stun Blast, it does not effect enemy players.

The Support class is no less than three roles all rolled up into one class. They have the highest number of abilities of the four Multiplayer classes.

The Support class is your Medic, being able to revive downed players with a dedicated robot buddy ability (Revive Drone), and it can call in supply crates to refresh other players’ health and ammo (Supply Box), and teleport to any nearby friendly in need of assistance (Support Teleport).

It is your Heavy, being the only class that can equip both the Purger minigun and the Voltage rail cannon as default equipment, and can call in heavy air support drone to blanket an area in gunfire and explosions (Air Support Drone).

And it is your Engineer, being able to set up turrets on the map for defensive or offensive purposes (Turret), and drop spawn beacons that give friendly players an additional spawn point on the map other than the team’s base camp (Spawn Beacon).

The Insurgent DLC lets the Support class drop Tactical Echo emitters, which will constantly ping a set radius with the Tactical Echo, revealing any nearby enemy players to the whole team.

The Scout class is your sniper role. Aside from the LS44 and sidearms, every weapon they have access to is a sniper rifle. They will also be the primary source of intelligence on the enemy team in Team Death Match modes.

Like the Assault class, the Scout has four abilities. The first is Cloak. We got a taste of this in Chapter 10 while playing as Echo. The cloak allows you to turn invisible and wander around the map largely unseen for a brief time. It has certain tells that give it away to attentive players however, like the chromatic aberration it creates around you. The cloak also precludes your weapon use while it is active so you can only pull off mele kills while invisible.

Scouts also have the Tactical Echo ability from the base game. This one needs no explanation other than enemy players will be able to see the Tactical Echo field you emit and be able to avoid it, and it will also reveal your general location as well. You’ll also be able to see enemy Tactical Echos being deployed coloured bright orange instead of pale blue.

The third Scout ability is the Emergency Teleport. Seen in Chapter 5 in the sniper battle in Containment City, a Scout can trigger the teleporter to jump to safety* if they find themselves in a bind. The drawback is that the teleport destination is completely random so you could wind up in greater danger than you tried to escape if the RNG goes amiss.

The fourth Scout ability is the Stun Drone, a combination of the Stun Blast and Robot Buddy abilities from the Assault class. You can easily figure out what this thing does. (It's OWL's stun ability from single player :ssh:)

The Insurgent DLC gives the Scout a fifth ability: the Guard Drone. It functions similar to the Robot Buddy, only it will patrol a designated area rather than follow the player around the map. So it's basically just OWL in attack mode from the single player campaign.

The final class is the Insurgent class. This special class is available only to players who have purchased the Insurgent DLC pack (the same one that contains Elite difficulty and the three legacy game weapons). It is a very oddball class that sort of defies easy classification and is a high risk, high reward wildcard that’s okay at everything, but excels at nothing.

By default, the Insurgent class only has access to a sidearm; larger caliber weaponry must be acquired through other means.

The Insurgent class only has two abilities, the fewest of all Multiplayer classes: Steal and Hack.

Steal lets you take the weapon and ability off a downed enemy. The use of stolen abilities is limited and you will lose them if you are killed, but a stolen weapon is yours for the remainder of the match. To change weapon loadouts, you will need to steal another weapon from another downed player.

Hack allows you to turn any deployed enemy automata friendly, including turrets. Hacked automata will instantly turn on their team and use their abilities to help the player’s team instead. The best/worst things you can hack with this are Assault class Robot Buddies and Support class Air Support Drones because the Robot Buddy will immediately turn around and shoot the Assault player who deployed it in the back and the Air Support Drone will light up the whole battlefield if you can pull off hacking it.

And lastly, let’s go over one final addendum to the weapons arsenal of Killzone: Shadow Fall: explosives and attachments!

We’ll start with the Limpet Grenade. Not encountered in single player, limpet grenades are Shadow Fall’s equivalent to the sticky plasma grenades from Halo. Coated with adhesive strips around the grenade’s circumference, limpet grenades are designed to stick in place upon contact with an enemy or surface rather than rebound like standard grenades and then detonate after a short time. Like the standard grenades, limpet grenades can be cooked by withholding your throw until the last possible second to give enemies as little time to react as possible.

Though cooking a limpet grenade is kind of redundant, given how if it successfully sticks to an enemy there is literally nothing they can do to dislodge or disarm it, and the explosion it creates is nearly always fatal.

And of course an old favorite from previous games, the Petrusite Grenade. Also known perviously as the Teslite Grenade, the petrusite grenade is an EMP weapon that can be charged and thrown in order to stun enemies and deal massive damage to enemy automata or equipment. A petrusite grenade will create a large shockwave bubble that effects all enemy units within its radius.

Organic enemies will be stunned by the electric blast generated by the grenade and momentarily blinded. Any abilities they are relying on will be disabled as well, such as nano shields. In single player, this will also disable the shields of enemies like the Armadillo Trooper. Mechanical enemies will also be momentarily disabled or even destroyed by the grenade’s EMP depending on their level of health.

And now for the various attachments available for each weapon in Shadow Fall’s multiplayer mode.

Certain attachments will be encountered occasionally in the single player campaign on various weapon pickups across the game, but you do not have any control over which ones you will get, they will simply already be on whichever given weapon you acquire across the game. In multiplayer, you will be given the choice of your attachment loadouts for each weapon, provided of course that you have unlocked each attachment for each weapon.

Attachments are unlocked by completing challenges in multiplayer matches. These challenges often involve killing enemy players with certain weapons and attachment combinations, and destroying enemy automata.

Let’s start with the standard equipment for most weapons in the game, the Dot Laser.

The dot laser is the game’s standard version of iron sights. It provides weapons with a minimal increase in accuracy by aiming down sights and using the holographic laser line to help line up targets better. Most VSA and Helghast sidearms, assault rifles, and shotguns encountered in single player will be equipped with a dot laser sight.

The dot laser is an equipment option for the StA19 Reigner, VC15 Judaz, M6 Punt, LS21 Valk, StA25 Vlug, VC30 Sickle, LS36 Breacher, StA409 Keyzer, M55 Rumbler, StA59B Pulver, and StA4 Stova.

The next level up from the dot laser is the Holo Sight.

Able to be equipped on most small arms in the game, the holo sight provides a 1.2x magnification bonus when aiming down sights and a larger targeting reticle compared to the dot laser sight. While its magnification bonus is weaker than the ACOG sight or scopes, the holo sight is also less obtrusive to the player’s view when hip firing and aiming down sights.

The holo sight can be equipped on the LS21 Valk, StA25 Vlug, VC30 Sickle, LS36 Breacher, StA409 Keyzer, M55 Rumbler, StA59B Pulver, StA4 Stova, StA61 Vultur, and StA101 Kmeraad. It also comes equipped by default on the DLC weapons LS12 SMG and M82 Assault Rifle. The LS44 Spoor also has a variation of the holo sight when in sub machine gun mode.

The ACOG Sight is a large holo-enhanced scope that can be mounted on most assault rifles and sniper rifles and provides a 1.6x magnification bonus when aiming down sights and has a larger and more precise targeting reticle than the dot laser and holo sight. Both the Helghast and VSA weaponry have their own unique versions of the ACOG sight, with the Helghast ACOG providing a small IFF feature that turns the reticle red when focusing on an enemy player.

The trade off with the ACOG, however, is that the bulky size of the sight takes up much of the player’s peripheral vision when aiming down sights and obstructs their immediate forward view when hip firing.

The ACOG sight can be equipped on the M6 Punt, LS21 Valk, StA25 Vlug, M55 Rumbler, StA59B Pulver, StA4 Stova, StA61 Vultur, and StA101 Kameraad. The DLC StA-14 sniper rifle comes with an ACOG sight pre-equipped and it cannot be swapped out. The LS44 Spoor also has an ACOG sight attachment when switched to its alt-fire railgun mode.

The final sight upgrade is the Scope attachment for the game’s sniper rifles. The scope comes in two variations, the x4 and the x10. As you can assume, the Scope x4 allows you to zoom in four times your original FOV and the x10 allows you to zoom in ten times for increased accuracy at extreme long range. Like the ACOG sight, the scope trades long range zoom accuracy for an obstructed front and peripheral view when hip firing and aiming down sights respectively.

Only three weapons in the game utilize the scope, one variant for each. The StA101 Kameraad can equip the Scope x4, and the StA61 Vultur can equip the Scope x10. The LS70 Fors VSA sniper rail gun has a combination variable of both the x4 and x10 scopes which can be toggled between magnifications using the up button on the D-pad. Unlike the Kameraad and the Vultur, the Fors’s scope cannot be swapped out for another option.

That’s it for the sights. Let’s check out the underslung attachments.

Underslung attachments go all the way back to the very first Killzone game and were its version of secondary or alt-fire modes. Underslung secondary weapons appear all throughout the franchise on various small arms and certain random weapons in Shadow Fall that can be picked up in various levels will have some of these attachments, albeit with limited, non replenishable ammo.

Let’s start with the Flashlight.

Able to be equipped on the sidearms and VC30 Sickle shotgun, the flashlight is a non-offensive attachment that can be mounted to the underside of the weapon. The flashlight lets players see more easily in dark spaces across certain maps and can be used to momentarily blind an enemy player at extreme close range. The main drawback of the flashlight, however, is that it cannot be turned off and it’s wide bright beam of white light can potentially expose a player’s position allowing an enemy to get the drop on them, in addition to taking up a space that could be used for a more offensively viable attachment like a sight or underslung weapon.

The flashlight was also subject to a hilarious glitch when equipped on the VC15 Judaz. Though allegedly patched out of the game, the flashlight caused an overflow error that increased the Judaz’s damage and range to infinite levels. Guerrilla claims to have fixed this, however, but some people still report the glitch occurring to this day.

The flashlight can be equipped on the StA19 Reigner, VC15 Judaz, LS12 Ripper, M6 Punt, and VC30 Sickle.

Similar to the flashlight, the Laser Pointer is another passive underslung attachment that provides a small accuracy bonus at short range to hip firing and can disorient enemies. It also reduces the bullet spread of any weapon it is attached to. The laser pointer is only equipable on side arms, namely the StA19 Reigner, LS12 Ripper, M6 Punt, LS21 Valk, and the StA25 Vlug SMG.

The StA19 Reigner that Echo gives Kellan in the stealth section of Chapter 6 features the laser pointer attachment in addition to the silencer.

Speaking of the Silencer, it also exists as an equipable attachment for certain weapons in multiplayer. The silencer is an option for most of the sniper rifles and the StA19 Reigner pistol and muffles the audible sound of gunshots fired in a multiplayer stage as well as reduces the radar detection profile on the multiplayer mini map caused whenever a player fires a weapon.

The StA19 Reigner loaned to Kellan by Echo in Chapter 6 features a silencer and a laser sight, though it’s cheating because in multiplayer only one of those attachments can be equipped on the pistol at a time.

Next up is the underslung bullpup Shotgun attachment. Originally featured on Helghast assault rifles in Killzone 1, the shotgun provides an alt-fire mode consisting of three buckshot shells loaded in the barrel, and an additional six shots in reserve for a total of nine rounds.

The underslung shotgun provides a similar stopping power to that of the VC30 Sickle, but its primary drawbacks are that when mounted on an assault rifle, it occupies the space normally used for the gun’s forward grip, thus decreasing its stability and increasing its recoil. And once all nine rounds for the attachment are spent they cannot be refilled until you respawn or resupply at a friendly-dropped supply box.

The shotgun attachment is only available to the Assault class.

The high explosive or HE Grenade launcher is also equipped on various assault rifles in the spot on the gun’s chassis normally reserved for a forward handle. Like the shotgun, the grenade launcher sacrifices the rifle’s overall stability for a dramatic increase in offensive capability.

Available only to the Assault class, the grenade launcher comes with only three rounds of ammunition which can only be fired one at a time, but can deal devastating damage to opponents should you land a successful hit with a shot.

The only weapons capable of equipping the HE grenade launcher are the M55 Rumbler and the StA409 Keyzer.

The E-Stun Missile is a small underslung missile launcher which carries similar stability drawbacks to the grenade launcher and shotgun. The missile launcher fires small guided EMP missiles which can be used again human and machine targets alike.

The E-Stun missile is the only lock on weapon in the game aside from the missile launcher attachment, similar to the StA-X3 W.A.S.P. Launcher from Killzone 3. The missile will only fire once a lock on has been acquired and will explode with a devastating EMP shockwave that will destroy or disable enemy automata and stun enemy players.

The E-Stun missile is available only to Scout class players.

The Missile Launcher is the standard explosive ammo version of the E-Stun missile. Like the E-Stun, it is available only to the Scout class in multiplayer and can only be fired when locked on to a target. It will then seek that target as best it can through the level geometry and explode with a high amount of force, dealing massive damage to the target if it connects and all enemies within a certain blast radius.

Like the other underslung alt-fire weapons for the assault rifles of multiplayer, the missile launcher sacrifices the gun’s long term firing stability for raw short term damage dealing potential.

The Taser is an odd duck among the attachments, as it is the only short range offensive weapon that is also a quasi mele attachment. Similar to OWL’s stun feature in the single player campaign, the taser can momentarily stun and disable enemies at point blank range in lieu of a mele attack and even kill critically wounded enemy players.

The taser is a supplemental weapon meant to help ensure a kill rather than score one itself, first by stunning an opponent so you or a teammate can seal the deal with a proper weapon.

The final weapon attachment is the Mobile Mine launcher, aka the Spider Mine launcher. This attachment will launch a Spider Mine onto the battlefield which will seek out the nearest enemy on the map and then attempt to attach itself to them and explode.

The mobile mine is a one-shot asset and has no reserve ammo unless otherwise resupplied by the player via a supply box on the map. It is available only to the Support class.

The final two attachments are internal-mounted ammo augmentations rather than external weapons:

Burst Fire mode is unlockable for the LS12 Ripper pistol and changes the sidearm from a semi-automatic weapon to a full-auto burst fire weapon capable of launching a full spread of bullets with a single trigger squeeze.

The burst fire equipped ripper is the default equipment option for the Tactician class in the Intercept co-op DLC.

And lastly, Incendiary Rounds. Available to various weapons, most notably the LS36 Breacher, incendiary ammo augments your regular ammunition to deal increased damage by lighting enemies on fire with each successful hit. You know, good old war crimes. What a note to end on, huh?

An LS36 equipped with incendiary rounds is the default equipment option for the Assault class in the Intercept co-op DLC.

And that is basically it for Killzone: Shadow Fall. If there’s any more to it to talk about, I no longer care or it’s so obscure that I’ve never somehow come across it yet, so I think I’m basically done. With the game, and with the franchise in general. We’re finished with everything that Shadow Fall possibly has to offer most players without drilling down into the things that aren’t worth pursuing like the various cosmetic DLCs.

Thank you all again for watching and reading all of this. We’re done.

Killzone: Shadow Fall multiplayer classes and multiplayer automata:

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 19, 2024

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Congrats on completing your rebels.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

goatface posted:

Congrats on completing your rebels.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

How many limpet grenades did you throw until one of them finally stuck to an enemy?

And is the resulting explosion as satisfying as I hope it is?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

sb hermit posted:

How many limpet grenades did you throw until one of them finally stuck to an enemy?

And is the resulting explosion as satisfying as I hope it is?

I didn't use any limpet grenades in multiplayer because I didn't realize at the time that they were stickies, however in my research for footage of them in action, I came across this video someone made featuring a montage of sticky kills and...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL_IILEMhgU

Yeah, I'd say they're fairly satisfying.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

nine-gear crow posted:

I didn't use any limpet grenades in multiplayer because I didn't realize at the time that they were stickies, however in my research for footage of them in action, I came across this video someone made featuring a montage of sticky kills and...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL_IILEMhgU

Yeah, I'd say they're fairly satisfying.

I dunno what made me smile more - the limpet grenade sneak attacks or learning that there's a german language version of the US pokemon theme song

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

nine-gear crow posted:

drilling down into the things that aren’t worth pursuing like the various cosmetic DLCs.

okay but I know you've played ace combat, to put it mildly, and yet you claim cosmetic DLC isn't worth exhaustive coverage??? I dunno crow!!!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Psion posted:

okay but I know you've played ace combat, to put it mildly, and yet you claim cosmetic DLC isn't worth exhaustive coverage??? I dunno crow!!!

when it's anime on your livery, no expense in time or materials can be spared, because the "cosmetic" effect has a real and measured positive effect on troop and player morale, and can strike fear into the hearts of your enemies in multiplayer.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

that is true, maybe the Killzone cosmetics are all boring high speed low drag operator style instead of neon pink and green, the way they should be

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Psion posted:

Well, if you are that curious, you can see the game's entire DLC catalog right here for yourself.

Intercept and Insurgent are the big DLC packs costing $5.99 and $9.99 respectively, and each has a pair of free map packs available. There's also a Season Pass for $19.99 that gives you access to both as well as an exclusive OWL skin and multiplayer victory screen kill move. There are 20 OWL skins each costing $1.99, although the fighter skin pack is free, and the digital camo skin if only available through the Season Pass.

There's five multiplayer victory screen kill move animation packs, also for $1.99 a piece, and three player voice packs for multiplayer for $3.99 each. So for just four dollars, if you're so inclined you can make your character sound like Rico.

There's also a couple of player card customizer packs for $.99 and a special 10th Anniversary Expansion Pack DLC for $9.99 that comes with two exclusive OWL skins, two player voice chatter options including the a Dev Team voice pack, in case you want to tear up the multiplayer battlefield sounding like Hermen Hulst, two exclusive player icon packs and seven new crosshair options.

There's also a weird option where you can just straight up buy Intercept on it's own for $9.99 without Shadow Fall...? Shadow Fall is also currently free on PlayStation Now if you have a PS5.

So the grand total for the "Complete" version of Killzone: Shadow Fall (starting at $19.99 MSRP for the base game) is $115.65.

(All prices listed are in USD)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I will vouch for it being very fun EXCEPT the footage from the main game absolutely applies, you are as fragile as tissue paper. One shotgun up close is enough to down your poor not-Lucas. I spent about as much time on the ground as I did scoring high for the team because while two headshots kills any helghoon, two headshots also kills you and then Nine Gear Crow and Subponticate Poster have to sprint-slide over into the gunfire to revive you. Overall it's great if only because Killzone has a really solid gameplay foundation and throwing multiple people into the killzone just lets more people participate in that foundation! It's a natural fit.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

nine-gear crow posted:

So the grand total for the "Complete" version of Killzone: Shadow Fall (starting at $19.99 MSRP for the base game) is $115.65.

Wow they really are trying to be Ace Combat 6 (~$180-190 of cosmetic DLC, I used to know how much exactly but it's around there)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CJacobs posted:

I will vouch for it being very fun EXCEPT the footage from the main game absolutely applies, you are as fragile as tissue paper. One shotgun up close is enough to down your poor not-Lucas. I spent about as much time on the ground as I did scoring high for the team because while two headshots kills any helghoon, two headshots also kills you and then Nine Gear Crow and Subponticate Poster have to sprint-slide over into the gunfire to revive you. Overall it's great if only because Killzone has a really solid gameplay foundation and throwing multiple people into the killzone just lets more people participate in that foundation! It's a natural fit.

I seriously think Guerrilla could be onto something if they made the next Killzone a hybrid of Intercept and Killzone 2. A game about a four man squad trying to do various plot-linked missions across a storyline with each character having their own specialized role and you got to choose at the start of each chapter which one you wanted to play as while the other three were either AI controlled or were your co-op buddies if you could scrounge up three other people to play with you. Basically resurrect the core concept of Killzone 1, but have the divisions between the four classes actually mean something this time in terms of gameplay.

I think Guerrilla has amassed enough good will with the broader public now through Horizon and Forbidden West that if they actually went back and made another Killzone game and put the same level of effort into it that they did the HZD games, it could be a legitimate hit, rather than just "it did okay for PlayStation". Also now that Bungie's a Sony company, they have a braintrust of people who actually made Halo they can collaborate with on their next Halo Killer.

Especially if this tweet from Hermen Hulst is any indication:

https://twitter.com/hermenhulst/status/1488211325062897667

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

I seriously think Guerrilla could be onto something if they made the next Killzone a hybrid of Intercept and Killzone 2. A game about a four man squad trying to do various plot-linked missions across a storyline with each character having their own specialized role and you got to choose at the start of each chapter which one you wanted to play as while the other three were either AI controlled or were your co-op buddies if you could scrounge up three other people to play with you. Basically resurrect the core concept of Killzone 1, but have the divisions between the four classes actually mean something this time in terms of gameplay.

republic commando: killzone