Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Memes?
Dash Rendar
#TeamNorton
Dance With The Angels
SHOOT VISARI!
View Results

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

nine-gear crow posted:

Silence. Beautiful silence.

Sally posted:

No, he's in Horizon.

Magical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
how do the helghast even have the manpower required to fight a war, much less the industrial capability and access to resources, after their plant went loving kablooey and they all died in killzone 3

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

It's a mix of literally being a new generation and also science fiction writers having no sense of scale.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

After killing every last soul bar one on the spire, Lucas steps on to the elevator platform and begins the ascent up to Stahl’s command center.

The VSA and Helghast fleets are still duking it out in the upper atmosphere, neither seemingly gaining the upper hand on the other. The hope remains, however slim, that perhaps Kellan can get Stahl to order the Helghast to stand down, or, failing that, that they’ll just give up when they hear that Stahl is dead.

Who knows?

Stahl sure is poo poo is not going down without a rhetorical fight, because he gets on the loud speaker the second the lift starts moving and just rants at Kellan all the way up the track about the greed and callousness of the Vektans and the superiority of the Helghast body and spirit.

Even after all this time, with everyone he had on hand to protect him dead and a pissed off Shadow Marshal trudging towards him with a railgun in hand, this loving guy still thinks he’s the invincible ubermensch.

What an rear end in a top hat.

At the end of the elevator ride, a set of stairs emerge—our way up to the final objective.

As Sally notes in the commentary, we start the ascent in a heavenly white tableau and it slowly transitions to a dark orange hellscape as we enter Stahl’s lair.

The man himself sits in the center of a giant holographic globe of Helghan. Every spire on the map forms a direct line pointing at Stahl in his medical-throne. The image says it all: this is the man at the center of all of our problems.

It’s quite similar to the imagery invoked in Return of the Jedi surrounding Emperor Palpatine. His throne on the Death Star is set against a window with a spider web-like design to signify his position as the central threat of the trilogy’s over arching plot; the spider in the center of the web.

Lucas gets right up in his face and we see the man at last for what he really is. Withered by age, and broken by the catastrophe of the Terracide, he’s nothing but a harmless indigent old man who can’t even sit upright on his own.

One gets the sense that every machine in this entire sanctum is dedicated to keeping him alive, if the trachea tube is any indication.

Stahl clearly wants to try and put his best face forward to psyche out Kellan but can’t anymore because Lucas has peered behind the curtain and seen the Wizard of Oz grasping desperately at the controls and the illusion has fallen apart. Hence the holo-portrait of himself hanging over his head: Stahl’s ideal self from better days.

Back when he was a king.

Almost.

He continues ranting at Kellan, his voice ragged and spent. They’re the meaningless aspirational words of a man who can’t admit that he’s lost. Even to the end, Stahl remains spiteful and defiant, and there’s no point in even listening to him now.

A shot rings out from behind Kellan and Stahl’s head explodes in a bloody mess, his final words “The Helghast cannot live in Vekta’s shadow any longer...”

He collapses dead instantly and Kellan spins around to see who took the shot, because it sure as hell wasn’t him.

Oh it’s Sinclair… and he’s pissed.

He levels his Ripper center mass on Lucas and fires.

Lucas collapses at the foot of Stahl’s throne.

Sinclair radios the ground team that he’s found the weapon. In this instance he means Kellan. It’s a nice if haunting callback to what Tyran said about Kellan back in Containment City, that at the end of the day he was just a gun with Sinclair’s hand up his rear end aiming him and pulling the trigger without any further thought from Lucas.

Now that he’s started thinking for himself, the weapon has gone rogue and Sinclair has contingencies for containing rogue weapons.

He looms over Kellan like a giant, mirroring the perspective from all the way back at the start of the game when Lucas was just a child looking up in awe at Sinclair. Now he looks up at him in terror, crawling backwards away from him futilely.

Sinclair quietly seeths about how disappointed he is in Lucas. His trust has been shattered and there’s no repairing it, even if Lucas ultimately DID do his duty and fought his way to Stahl and was in fact about to kill him when Sinclair derailed everything. He was more loyal to Vekta than Sinclair will ever be, and did more to ensure its safety today than Sinclair ever will… and he took a bullet for it. From his own adoptive father no less.

Sinclair rants that Vekta will never be safe so long as New Helghan exists, and today has been the proof he’s been waiting for to show everyone that he was right, for now he’ll be able to get all of Vekta onboard with his plan to exterminate the Helghast, right down to the last child.

And there’s nothing we can do about it anymore. Sinclair aims right at Lucas’s head, mutters a vacant apology, and fires.

And all there is is darkness and silence.

So ends Killzone: Shadow Fall.

The credits begin to roll without any fanfare.

Oh? But what’s this noise?

After the credits are done glitching out we’re suddenly and unexpectedly thrown back into gameplay.

The header pop up displays “Chapter 10 – The Savior”.

We’re informed that it is now August 5th, 2390. A full month has passed since the events of Chapter 9 on July 7th, 2390.

We are in Vekta City. There is a VSA trooper directly below us. And we have a gun.

We drop from the ledge and stab the guard in the chest, killing him.

But who are we? We’re weilding a VSA LS12 Ripper, the standard sidearm of Lucas Kellan, and we have Kellan’s knife and Tactical Echo abilities, but a quick glace at the rest of the D-Pad slots reveal abilities that Kellan never had before: spider mine deployment, and a cloaking field.

The voice on the other end of the radio giving us a tactical update is clearly Helghast.

And yet the login pad identifies us as Lucas Kellan. What is going on here? Could Kellan still somehow be alive? There’s precedent for it, we’ve seen someone take a bullet to the brain in a Killzone game and live before.

Is this the case with Kellan? Did the Helghast manage to save him? Reprogram him? Turn him into a weapon for their side? Or is this someone else completely?

The game gives you just enough hints to suss out what’s really happening here, but I won’t spoil things until the end so for now, let’s just take the game at face value and assume we’re still playing as “Lucas”.

On our way through the area, we come across a TV screen with a news broadcast playing a speech from Hera Visari. The headline blares “WAR AVERTED” and that the “weapons cache” on Helghan is currently being dismantled by the VSA.

The news pick up you can find in this final secret chapter tells the story, from the Vektan perspective, of course, that the Helghast forces apparently folded quickly without a fight and Vektan casualties from the strike on Helghan were light and came about mostly through “friendly fire”. We know for a fact that none of these points are true. The VSA got its rear end handed to it, and dozens of VSA cruisers were destroyed taking hundreds, possibly thousands of lives with them, and that’s not even counting the ground casualties that we didn’t even see.

I’m trying not to Both Sides this, but this is definitely one final reminder that both sides of this conflict are in fact craptacular lying propagandist shitbags and I’m glad we are finally completely done with all of it now.

On the news boardcast Hera denounces the continuing presence of Vektan forces on Helghan, claiming it insults the memory of everyone who died on the planet 30 years ago and that Vekta will have to answer for its aggression one way or another in due time. The presentation of it though seems like the game is going “Yeah, whatever lady, gently caress off.” even though in this instance Hera is right.

We’ve seen the other side of the table she’s sitting at. Compared to Sinclair, she comes off as calm and dimplomatic and forward thinking, a proper leader for an uncertain future. Shame that she’s still a fascist, but who knows, now that she’s out from under Stahl’s thumb and the Black Hand are no longer a threat, maybe she can find a better way forward now that the weight of history is starting to slough off the Helghast?

Or maybe it will just get even worse. Because she’s also, if you listen to her words, saying things juuuust inaptly enough that it also sounds like it could be a call for further violence against Vekta and a rallying cry for a new Black Hand to take up arms.

Flip that coin in your head however you want. I’m not going to.

This is the last we see and hear from Hera in the game. I wonder what Maya thinks of her mother’s position in all this right now?

“Lucas” emerges into a plaza in a Vektan shopping district. As SubponticatePoster points out, this is one of the multiplayer stages getting some use in the final minutes of Shadow Fall’s single player campaign.

Civilians fill the area milling about and guards patrol every inch of the plaza. “Lucas”’s cloak goes up the second we’re out in public view and will remain up until anything happens that draws enemy attention to us.

On the loudspeakers, the voice of Thomas Sinclair echoes in the distance.

Sinclair is holding a victory rally at VSA Headquarters across the way, peppering the speech with strong and openly anti-Helghast and eliminationist rhetoric. As promised, he is rallying Vekta to ready itself to exterminate New Helghan.

Mission control tells “Lucas” that if the guards detect any trouble in the plaza they’ll clear the podium in under three minutes.

Whoever we are, we are here to kill Thomas Sinclair.

A silenced StA61 Vultur sniper rifle has been stashed away in a secure location for “Lucas” to collect.

And a sniper nest in line of sight with VSA HQ has been located.

“Lucas” takes position and begins preping the rifle for the shot.

The lens cap on the scope flips open and we see a brief flash of who we are in the shoes of now reflected in the glass.

It’s Echo.

She takes aim at Sinclair. Center mass. The longer Sinclair’s speech goes on for, the more unhinged and openly blood thirsty it becomes. Every check on his power has now been eliminated and he is finally free to openly be the monster he’s been hiding all this time, only letting it slip out in private moments with Kellan. He is fully secure in his victory and his righteousness, and he believes that the people of Vekta are right there with him.

Are they? Probably not. Not right now anyway.

Given enough time though? Who knows. This line of thinking is insidious and corrupting and as we’ve seen in the real world in recent years, incredibly easy to take root and spread uncontrollably. And once it gathers momentum, there is no stopping it or reversing it.

Thomas Sinclair has always shown that he has the potential to become an even worse monster than Jorhan Stahl ever dreamed of becoming and he’s getting ready to act on it.

For a series that has for the most part been ham fisted about fighting fascism in the form of literal Space Nazis, the game takes these last few minutes to make sure you know that it is in fact against fascism in every form it takes. Thomas Sinclair is a fascist, one who wants to curtail the rights of individuals and exterminate those he deems undesirable. He may be sporting the trappings of an American military man pastiche, but fascism is fascism no matter what fancy hat it puts on.

If you go around openly saying or even just hinting at the phrase “I think we should kill all the […],” you’re a loving monster. Thomas Sinclair is a loving monster.

And what does the hero to do the monster in every good story?

Maya takes a breath, mutters “For Kellan.” And she takes the shot.

We’ve jokingly been comparing this franchise to Shakespeare this whole time, but this moment is quite mildly Shakespearean in a way. It draws something of an allusion to Fortinbras’s impromptu eulogy for Hamlet at the end of Hamlet the play. Fortinbras orders a gun salute for Hamlet from his soldiers, the play closing on the line “Go, bid the soldiers shoot.”

Well, this is a hell a tribute if I’ve ever seen one.

The game lingers on this cathartically slow shot of the bullet in flight right for Sinclair’s heart.

I mentioned earlier that each chapter barring 5 and 8 is named after a particular character in the game. Maya is the only one who gets two chapters named after her. For in the end she is ultimately the true hero of Killzone: Shadow Fall. Lucas did half the work and died a hero’s death, but it’s Maya who finishes the job.

The achievement for completing this chapter and thus completing the game says “Complete level 'The Savior' and prevent the escalation of a new war”, and in killing Sinclair, Maya does just that. She’s acting purely on her own here, neither Helghast nor Vektan, a child of both worlds but beholden to neither, only the idea of a peace between them. Thomas Sinclair is the last threat to that peace, or so it appears at the moment. Who knows, maybe all this will do is just start another war and the cycle of violence, grievance and retaliation will just roll on.

But maybe not.

The game seems to treat this moment as one of hope and triumph, even if it’s twinged bittersweet by the loss of Lucas.

Either way, this is Maya’s big moment. I said that she would ultimately be equal to or even greater than Lucas in the end, and here we are. The outcast, the unwanted, the fruit of the poisoned tree, the last scion of the house that Scolar Visari built and broke. Echo.

Maya Visari, the savior of Vekta.

As loyal Killzone Franchise LP watcher/reader Soup Inspector points out, this ending has an eerier reverse parallelism to the end of Killzone 2. I'll let them explain it better in their own words:

Soup Inspector posted:

Perhaps it's just me or a bit of a reach, but I feel like Killzone 2's and Shadow Fall's endings are almost bookends to one another. In one, a Visari gets shot - in the other, it's a Visari doing the shooting. Both involve the motive of personal revenge for lives lost; the weapons are different, but the underlying emotion is the same (even if it's expressed differently). The villain delivers one final speech before they're killed. It almost makes me wonder if it was intentional.

I guess it turns out that we were never going to ultimately say "SHOOT VISARI!" in this final thread, but rather "SHOOT, VISARI!". :v:

Now as for Sinclair… Remember what I said way back at the start of this gong show so very long ago:

“You meet your fate on the road you take to avoid it.”

And what’s the one fate Thomas Sinclair has been desperately trying to avoid since the moment we met him at the start of the game? Being hurt or killed by the Helghast. He has been working every moment of these past 20 years to try and avoid that fate by eliminating every possible vector it could come at him from. He’s justified it as a national security matter of course and has gaslighted himself into swapping in Vekta as a whole for his own person, or perhaps in his egomania he has conflated himself with Vekta over time. He thought that killing Kellan was just another step along the path to avoiding that fate, and it ultimately proved to be his downfall. If Lucas Kellan was alive at this moment, Maya would probably have no cause to be here.

And what has become of Sinclair? Well, that bullet might be slowing down for dramatic effect, but there is no stopping it and once it gets where its going, the damage is going to be obliterative. Ironic then that out of all our main characters, the only two who emerge from Shadow Fall alive are not only both Helghast, but are both Visaris just for the extra pinch of salt in the wound.

Thomas Sinclair is a dead man. And everything he stands for is about to die with him.

Karma’s a bitch… and it’s heat-seeking.

Right before the bullet hits Sinclair’s chest the game cuts to black and the true credits begin playing and we get to see Guerrilla’s humor at work. This transition from Sinclair about to take a bullet to the heart to a spray of debris flying is just perfect. In the moment it makes your brain link the two images together so you get the implied sense that it’s the aftermath of Maya’s fateful shot for a brief second and then you begin to realize what’s really happening.

Set tongue firmly in cheek to the tune of Duo des fleurs (The Flower Duet) by Léo Delibes (possibly a reference to the Killzone 2 "Slow-Motion" trailer as pointed out by Cooked Auto), the main credit sequence is a beautifully excessive series of shots of bullets blasting through concrete in slow motion and the showers of debris caused by the impact.

It is crass and artistic all at once. It says something profound through a presentation that is the equivalent of farting into a megaphone. It is Killzone distilled to its very essence.

I love it. I hate it. I’m sad to see it go, but I’m happy that it’s gone.

I’ll have a full exit interview write up done later once I’ve had enough time to decompress, but this is where I otherwise get off.

Six games and seven years and we’re finally done. I have nothing more to say.

And when the dust settles, the work all of these seemingly random explosions have been building to emerges into view: Mt. Killzonemore. A tribute to our dramatis personae. From left to right: Vladko Tyran, Hera Visari, Thomas Sinclair, Maya Visari, and Michael Kellan.

Not pictured: Lucas Kellan. The shadow. The ghost. The hero.

Thus ends Let Us Playeth William Shakespeare’s The Killzone Franchise.

Exeunt omnes.

NEWS

DOSSIERS

COMIC PAGES

Promotional Profiles

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Mar 18, 2022

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Pretty sure them using The Flower Duet might be a minor callback to old promo material for the franchise, in this case Killzone 2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfppNE56cMg

No idea if that actually got mentioned in the actual commentary since I'm saving to watch that for later.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Just as well. The video seems to be stuck processing the HD version anyway, so if it's not done by tomorrow afternoon because YouTube's a piece of poo poo platform and I hate it, I will reupload it anyway.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That ending is a hell of a poo poo to put at the close of your super-spy game. You couldn't do anything that wasn't run and gun.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I HAVE SO MUCH MORE TO SAY ABOUT KILLZONE

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

goatface posted:

That ending is a hell of a poo poo to put at the close of your super-spy game. You couldn't do anything that wasn't run and gun.

Also this, they give you a minigun but your man is still tissue-paper-MGS-game health so you have to slam adrenaline or else you just tilt sideways and the helghoon jerks off at you again

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You didn't even get a shoot dad option at the end. The revenge epilogue would have much more of a "the blood-fued cycle will continue until nobody is left to strike back" despair note if it was the outcome the game presented if you make the choice to not shoot dad yourself.

You either take the shot and get merked by your former comrades who go on to push for eradication in dad's name, or dad shoots you, Echo sticks a bullet in him, and everyone goes on do it anyway. There is no good outcome here, the situation has been hosed beyond repair. Nothing you do or do not do will clean up this shitshow. Embrace the nihilism. Hail Satan.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

CJacobs posted:

DO IT

SAY IT

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

It feels like it would've been so much bearable with proper controls.
But then the same can be said for a lot of the console specific FPS franchises.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

goatface posted:

You didn't even get a shoot dad option at the end. The revenge epilogue would have much more of a "the blood-fued cycle will continue until nobody is left to strike back" despair note if it was the outcome the game presented if you make the choice to not shoot dad yourself.

You either take the shot and get merked by your former comrades who go on to push for eradication in dad's name, or dad shoots you, Echo sticks a bullet in him, and everyone goes on do it anyway. There is no good outcome here, the situation has been hosed beyond repair. Nothing you do or do not do will clean up this shitshow. Embrace the nihilism. Hail Satan.

Well, since the franchise is now functionally dead we'll most likely never learn one way or another what specifically was the result of Echo's final shot for good or evil. So why not shoot for hope?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

CJacobs posted:

but is it just repeating "Welcome ... to the KILLZONE" like 500 times over?

nine-gear crow posted:

Six games and seven years and we’re finally done. I have nothing more to say.

wow crow it's almost like you're putting up a big neon sign saying WHY DID I DO THIS, ALSO BURNOUT

but you did it

you made it! :unsmith:

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
I've been following the Killzone LP series for a good portion of its run. Everyone involved in the LP did a great job!

I never had the chance to play the Killzone games when they were on the go; I just kind of filed them under "generic sci-fi shooter" and left it at that. I can't imagine how many hours were poured into the analysis in each update, but for what it's worth I found each update genuinely interesting and looked forward to them. I know it's not much, but I hope that it at least helps all the frustration feel a little more worthwhile. So far as the ending goes: right up until the last second I fully expected Guerrilla to pull Shadow Fall's final punch and let you shoot/stab Space Dad (or hell, have Echo do it for you). I'd seen so many game campaigns do exactly that that I nearly didn't doubt for a nanosecond that Shadow Fall was going to do it too. So when that didn't happen it was genuinely surprising.

Perhaps it's just me or a bit of a reach, but I feel like Killzone 2's and Shadow Fall's endings are almost bookends to one another. In one, a Visari gets shot - in the other, it's a Visari doing the shooting. Both involve the motive of personal revenge for lives lost; the weapons are different, but the underlying emotion is the same (even if it's expressed differently). The villain delivers one final speech before they're killed. It almost makes me wonder if it was intentional.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Soup Inspector posted:

I've been following the Killzone LP series for a good portion of its run. Everyone involved in the LP did a great job!

I never had the chance to play the Killzone games when they were on the go; I just kind of filed them under "generic sci-fi shooter" and left it at that. I can't imagine how many hours were poured into the analysis in each update, but for what it's worth I found each update genuinely interesting and looked forward to them. I know it's not much, but I hope that it at least helps all the frustration feel a little more worthwhile. So far as the ending goes: right up until the last second I fully expected Guerrilla to pull Shadow Fall's final punch and let you shoot/stab Space Dad (or hell, have Echo do it for you). I'd seen so many game campaigns do exactly that that I nearly didn't doubt for a nanosecond that Shadow Fall was going to do it too. So when that didn't happen it was genuinely surprising.

This is such a great point and I'm jealous that I didn't think of the parallel. Thanks a bunch for sticking it out with us though all the highs and lows of it all. It's been a hell of a ride.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

nine-gear crow posted:

This is such a great point and I'm jealous that I didn't think of the parallel.

Quick! Edit your last post and you can take all the credit for it!

also, I’ve greatly enjoyed the LP even if some of the games didn’t quite live up to Shakespeare :) hope you wait a bit before archiving so I can say my peace on shadowfall, but even if you don’t, thanks for the LP

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

This is such a great point and I'm jealous that I didn't think of the parallel. Thanks a bunch for sticking it out with us though all the highs and lows of it all. It's been a hell of a ride.

Thank you very much. I'll admit that I kept expecting you to raise that parallel throughout the entire epilogue video or in the update analysis. If you'd like, feel free to slap that part of my post into the final update. It'd be nice to contribute in some small way to a LP I've quite enjoyed. I guess it turns out that we were never going to ultimately say "SHOOT VISARI!" in this final thread, but rather "SHOOT, VISARI!". :v:

At points the ride might've been shakier than clinging onto the roof of an Intruder (seriously, I don't know why those glorified flying shopping carts are still in use), but it was well worth it. Again, thank you and your co-commentators for making the LP and successfully bringing it to a close.

drkeiscool posted:

Quick! Edit your last post and you can take all the credit for it!

also, I’ve greatly enjoyed the LP even if some of the games didn’t quite live up to Shakespeare :) hope you wait a bit before archiving so I can say my peace on shadowfall, but even if you don’t, thanks for the LP

Dammit, stop reading my mind! :argh:

Rico never did find out what the gently caress a Shakespeare is, did he?

For a while now I've been half-tempted to try and write a :effort: Killzone version of Prospero's "Our revels now are ended" speech. Depending on how lazy I'm feeling and whether I can get it done before archiving, I feel like it'd be a fitting epitaph to this LP series.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Soup Inspector posted:

Thank you very much. I'll admit that I kept expecting you to raise that parallel throughout the entire epilogue video or in the update analysis. If you'd like, feel free to slap that part of my post into the final update. It'd be nice to contribute in some small way to a LP I've quite enjoyed. I guess it turns out that we were never going to ultimately say "SHOOT VISARI!" in this final thread, but rather "SHOOT, VISARI!". :v:

At points the ride might've been shakier than clinging onto the roof of an Intruder (seriously, I don't know why those glorified flying shopping carts are still in use), but it was well worth it. Again, thank you and your co-commentators for making the LP and successfully bringing it to a close.

Dammit, stop reading my mind! :argh:

Rico never did find out what the gently caress a Shakespeare is, did he?

For a while now I've been half-tempted to try and write a :effort: Killzone version of Prospero's "Our revels now are ended" speech. Depending on how lazy I'm feeling and whether I can get it done before archiving, I feel like it'd be a fitting epitaph to this LP series.

I've added it in to the final update in the appropriate place :buddy:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Being a part of these let's plays has been, and I say this completely without irony, one of the best things to ever happen to me. I've lived a very quiet life. In 2012-2013 I was alone, really alone. But then I met friends I will have for the rest of my life, so very many of them, doing these goofy videos with extremely elaborate and beautifully composed humorous write-ups. I've gone places I never thought I would go with the skills I was encouraged to build, explored passions and hobbies I thought weren't going to get off the ground because my first try sucked (it was fallout 3). So really, sincerely, thank you guys. And thank you everyone for watching and helping for all these years to keep us here making more.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

turns out the real killzone is the let's plays you made along the way

but seriously though congrats! you have all defeated the killzone franchise and now it holds no power over you! i enjoyed this series a ton and i'm glad you all did it :yayclod:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I suppose the other, other ending option, would be to have dad giving a speech about how the Helgast are still rebelling under the guidance of the same family and must be destroyed, but as part of a debate with Hera Vasari on the stage. Then they could give you, as Echo, the choice: Do you kill the dad-monster for revenge and possibly drive this genocide train further, or do you shoot the last remaining Vasari, removing the woman that is tying the Helgast resistance together in an inversion of the familial murder, killing your own mother and the hope of your people in one last attempt to save their lives.

They could have gone so much more bleak. The cowards.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I have to say as a gun goon who hates the gun community at large, like most if not most gun goons, I really appreciate they stayed with the Cave Johnson method of firing the whole bullet and nothing but the whole bullet by using caseless ammo as seen in the Killzone 2 TV Spot (Which is also throwing casings for some reason:psyduck:???) in literally the last scene of the game (Bullet has a primer on it).

E: I know it made by Guerilla Games and they took liberties with how the firearms works for sake of coolness and fun, but it's pretty weird they toke liberties with how firearms work when they made the game in probably in one of the most well armed civilian counties in the world despite they try to present the premise of realism in their games.

E2: Making a drunk post while being Texan, please ignore.

E3: Also, good luck for any future plans you guys have planned in the future, guys. :v:

E5: I vgo bak to drinking Lonestar Vodka.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 3, 2021

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Back Hack posted:

I have to say as a gun goon who hates the gun community at large, like most if not most gun goons, I really appreciate they stayed with the Cave Johnson method of firing the whole bullet and nothing but the whole bullet by using caseless ammo as seen in the Killzone 2 TV Spot (Which is also throwing casings for some reason:psyduck:???) in literally the last scene of the game (Bullet has a primer on it).

Ok this actually explains how admiral grey survived they basically just threw the bullet at her I take back my complaint from the mercenary lp

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

In theory caseless ammo is a cool idea and protentional lets you do all kinds of interesting things with the round it fires (explosive rounds, smart rounds, interchangeable rifle/buckshot rounds, etc.) but in practice it's just completely impractical and the work arounds you have to do the firearm itself make extremely it complex to the point of negating any advantages you might have from said round.

The HK G11 being the prime example.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Although I think they have started to make some strides with caseless ammo nowadays. I know the US Army has some future MG project that I recall Ian saying would probably benefit the development of the ammo more than the guns themselves.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Wouldn't railgun ammo be caseless? I think a sniper gun based on railgun tech might be a good idea if it can create a more reliable weapons system using slugs that are more lethal but able to control velocity enough to muffle the shot.

I am not a gun person though. I just think that this future tech might be able to overcome a couple of assumptions

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Also, congrats to nine gear crow, sally, cjakes, and SubponticatePoster for enduring the killzone, and showing this thread the true meaning of shakespeare

now I'm off to make some traditional Helghast turkey stuffing

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Back Hack posted:

In theory caseless ammo is a cool idea and protentional lets you do all kinds of interesting things with the round it fires (explosive rounds, smart rounds, interchangeable rifle/buckshot rounds, etc.) but in practice it's just completely impractical and the work arounds you have to do the firearm itself make extremely it complex to the point of negating any advantages you might have from said round.

The HK G11 being the prime example.

fortunately in killzone you can just point to stahl and say "yeah he/his grandpa figured out good caseless ammunition we have that now it's cool"

imo more sci-fi properties should use all the weird experimental gun tech that humans have come up with that turned out to be too impractical, but then hand-wave the impraticalities away and say "future tech ok chill"

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

sb hermit posted:

Also, congrats to nine gear crow, sally, cjakes, and SubponticatePoster for enduring the killzone, and showing this thread the true meaning of shakespeare

now I'm off to make some traditional Helghast turkey stuffing

It's got red LEDs in it

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Surprise, the stuffing is either petrucite or a bioweapon.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

sb hermit posted:

Wouldn't railgun ammo be caseless? I think a sniper gun based on railgun tech might be a good idea if it can create a more reliable weapons system using slugs that are more lethal but able to control velocity enough to muffle the shot.

I am not a gun person though. I just think that this future tech might be able to overcome a couple of assumptions

Technically yes, projectiles fired by railguns or gauss weapons are caseless, in that there no casing at all just a metal/polymer dart or bb fired by a magnetic discharge at or beyond terminal velocity. Practically answer however is a big fat "no," because said weapons aren't propelled by, well, propellent that needs to be encased to help differentiate it from traditional ammunition (which is literally defined as, the projectiles with their fuses, propelling charges, or primers fired from guns) which has casings.

:eng101:

E: Also, railgun or gauss weapons in theory are more quiet than firearms, in that the only sound you should be able to hear is the round itself breaking sound-barrier; however, come to find out, discharging energy needed to catapult a projectile at sufficient speeds makes a very loud popping or snapping sound that not all to different from a gun.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 4, 2021

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If the railgun does not make a good noise, it will be made to make noise. A good charge up sound and a nice thump as it's let go is part of the charm.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

The rule of cool is the coolest king.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

goatface posted:

If the railgun does not make a good noise, it will be made to make noise. A good charge up sound and a nice thump as it's let go is part of the charm.

hell yeah railguns should have the same THOOMP that good video game grenade launchers* have

* the good ones are the ones that make a good THOOMP sound

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Electric guns can have a casing, a cradle that glides with minimal damage against the barrel and carries the actual projectile, allows Lorentz or Gauss forces to work better, and then discards itself because it would have poor aerodynamics and or terminal ballistics.

Also in the casing, you could find a one shot power supply, but I think that'd be making it too like regular firearms.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

boo-osterous posted:

hell yeah railguns should have the same THOOMP that good video game grenade launchers* have

* the good ones are the ones that make a good THOOMP sound

Could someone make a silenced grenade launcher?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Sure, just launch it via a spring like the PIAT. That should make it a lot quieter.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Or a compressed air thing, like a potato gun. Plenty of options, the real limit to making guns quiet is when the combined caliber and velocity gets too high, and also any time you are breaking the sound barrier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

White Coke posted:

Could someone make a silenced grenade launcher?

sounds like it would a pretty lovely grenade launcher by my standards

:dadjoke: