Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Memes?
Dash Rendar
#TeamNorton
Dance With The Angels
SHOOT VISARI!
View Results

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
Welp, if I haven'rt missed important exposition (which migh be possible!) your first mission is basically 100% aggression, no attempts are made to sweeten up that you're doing a lot of questionable things:
1) enter forbidden territory to retrive a team that already 'invaded' Helghan territory and stole intel (probably in a violent operation)
2)kill the beat cops investigating the downed ship and protecting the defense installations (with Helghan audiologs featuring "tell the kids I love them!")
3) explode local defense and gently caress off

The whole Visari statue explosion was not part of the plan, but it fits into the general way Sinclair and the Vektan intelligence apparatus apparently think: gently caress the Helghan as hard as you can while there's still official peace, but hope for an all-out war so you can doublefuck them. Might be the case that the Helghast think just the same way, but we haven't seen much action from them (except that botched hostage exchange).

SavageGentleman fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Feb 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

We need a couple of shotgun physics Webms or gifs. That's for sure.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
While Vekta has a much nicer climate, future-nazi-gasmask fashion (there should be some german mega word for it) never did run out of style with the helghast. Can't let that cursed sun shine of their pale scalp.

Maybe they are all space vampires?

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
I wouldn't be surprised if Sinclair just turns around and states that they knew that the statute might blow up but meh they are the Helghast so who cares.

Also this is off topic but coming home from a real crappy day at work to a new update helps make the day better so thanks guys.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shotgun op.

I love it!

White Coke
May 29, 2015

SavageGentleman posted:

2)kill the beat cops investigating the downed ship and protecting the defense installations (with Helghan audiologs featuring "tell the kids I love them!")

Each of those dead cops probably has a dozen kids too, since the Helghast are probably told they need to breed like rabbits to overwhelm the Vektans.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

White Coke posted:

Each of those dead cops probably has a dozen kids too, since the Helghast are probably told they need to breed like rabbits to overwhelm the Vektans.

Wait, are Helghast Quiverfulls?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lazy Bear posted:

Wait, are Helghast Quiverfulls?

...Kind of(?)

Yes, that is a background worldbuilding detail I should probably touch on when we go into New Helghan. The Helghast citizens on Vekta are encouraged to crank out as many babies as possible to 1) replenish their lost numbers, 2) literally outbreed the Vektans to victory, and 3) compensate for how horrifyingly fatal everyday life in New Helghan is and what has to be a 50+% childhood mortality rate on the other side of the Wall.

You can see it there on the Dossier for Vekta City in the Chapter 2 post.

quote:

The Helghast half of the city holds roughly 14 million people giving it a population density of around 30,000 per km2. The success of several government-funded initiatives to stimulate birth rate resulted in the Helghast population growing much more rapidly. Figures suggest this will continue to rise and double within the next 10 years.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Feb 5, 2018

White Coke
May 29, 2015

nine-gear crow posted:

Yes, that is a background worldbuilding detail I should probably touch on when we go into New Helghan. The Helghast citizens on Vekta are encouraged to crank out as many babies as possible to 1) replenish their lost numbers, 2) literally outbreed the Vektans to victory, and 3) compensate for how horrifyingly fatal everyday life in New Helghan is and what has to be a 50+% childhood mortality rate on the other side of the Wall.

That's a refreshingly realistic consequence of such rapid population growth. I get annoyed whenever a sci-fi story has the solution to massive population loss be breeding without any regard for the consequences. The one that really sticks in my mind is Battlestar Galactica, where they treated the decision to make abortions illegal as a necessity to rebuilding the human race.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The one that always makes me laugh is the jump between Homeworld and Homeworld 2 where the Kushan fleet's 500,000-600,000 cryo-sleepers+fleet crew population somehow turns into 160 million people in the span of 100 years once they reach Hiigara.

And that gets even more ridiculous if you go by what Homeworld 2: Remastered implies and that HW2 is actually taking place within the same lifetime as HW1 and Cataclysm because the same Fleet Command dude returns to command the second Mothership in 2 while in the original version it's just a straight up new character.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

The one that always makes me laugh is the jump between Homeworld and Homeworld 2 where the Kushan fleet's 500,000-600,000 cryo-sleepers+fleet crew population somehow turns into 160 million people in the span of 100 years once they reach Hiigara.

And that gets even more ridiculous if you go by what Homeworld 2: Remastered implies and that HW2 is actually taking place within the same lifetime as HW1 and Cataclysm because the same Fleet Command dude returns to command the second Mothership in 2 while in the original version it's just a straight up new character.

Are we talking about the same series, that decided, that FTL travel is space magic granted by unique ancient artifacts, which can't be replicated?
I really ike Homeworld, but some plot and world building was dumb as hell.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
It was great in the first one! The manual, and the stories behind the names of the ships were excellent. Cataclysm built upon it, and everything was good.

Then came Homeworld 2, and... I have so many problems with that game. With the gameplay, and the UI, and the story... the worst of it, I felt, was that they explicitly showed all of the races as being human, and I didn't like that. I kinda liked that vagueness about what everyone looked like. In the original game, even though Karan S'jet is shown in profile as being humanoid, you don't see much of her, and I thought that was great.

Anyway... do we get to see Helghan civilians this time around? Can we see very many warcrimes this time around? I get the feeling that the answer is "Yes".

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Jesus Petrusite Christ, 30k/km2? That's insane! I mean, it's half of Manila on modern-day Earth, but higher than literally any other city. You know when your half of the planet is more densely-packed than flipping Mumbai, you have a problem.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Lazy Bear posted:

Jesus Petrusite Christ, 30k/km2? That's insane! I mean, it's half of Manila on modern-day Earth, but higher than literally any other city. You know when your half of the planet is more densely-packed than flipping Mumbai, you have a problem.

Building up, not out, helps a lot.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Lazy Bear posted:

Just their half of Vekta City. They haven't made New Helghan into a hive world yet.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
So when the dossier states that Vekhta City was built to bridge two landmasses that surely means politically right? They didn't decide to build the city in the middle of the ocean or on top of a fault line or anything right? Also I like how it seems the forced relocation is still going on even in the present day, that must makes things really awkward when stuff like the statute blowing up happens.

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
I forgot exactly where it happens, but there's a soundbite you can hear in this level that implies there are literally hundreds and hundreds of colonised planets in the Killzone-verse, which always kind of surprised me given the scale of the series.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

I forgot exactly where it happens, but there's a soundbite you can hear in this level that implies there are literally hundreds and hundreds of colonised planets in the Killzone-verse, which always kind of surprised me given the scale of the series.

Yeah. The UCN itself is fairly large. We don't exactly know how large, but the big thing in the lore for the series is that the reason why Helghan and Vekta are so important is that they're literally the FTL hub of the human-colonized section of the galaxy. Anything going anywhere has to pass through Alpha Centauri on its way elsewhere or on its way to Earth.

This is a big part of how Vekta was able to buy its semi-autonomy from the UCN. They said to Earth "back off us a little more than the average colony and we'll keep the trade and transport routes open and not strangle you to death, AND we'll pay you seed money for the rest of your colonizing efforts out there in the Milky Way" and Earth grudgingly said fine.

There's only a few worlds we canonically know of in the series as being UCN colonies: Earth and Mars are populated in Sol. Vekta and Helghan in Alpha Centauri. Gyre in Altair. And then two colonies in unknown systems, Sorin and Zeronus. Vekta also has two moons (seen in the opening of Killzone 2) named Hope and Fortune that may or may not be inhabited as well. There's also another planet in Alpha Centauri A's Goldilocks Zone called Mefitis which is roughly as far from Vekta as Venus is from Earth, but again, no idea if it's either inhabited or terraformed ala Vekta.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Vekta and Helghan in Alpha Centauri.

:rip:

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

nine-gear crow posted:

They didn't need to breed to get those numbers: they had a planet full of people Taiidani, many of whom were descended from the original Hiigarans who chose slavery over exile. Even the Taiidani living there that aren't a direct relation can't really be kicked off the planet: there are too many of them, too few Kushan, and such an obvious atrocity would turn the new Taiidani Republic against them.

Of course, now that you mention it, the Hiigarans actually have a LOT of similarities with the Helghans: lovely homeworld that got blasted, originally exiled because they lost a war, developed an extremely capable military, were united mainly by a single charismatic/capable individual (repeatedly, in the Kushan's case); biggest difference is that the Hiigarans aren't stupid obsessed with fascism and revenge.

Granted, that's only because the overpowered industrialists who conveniently conquered their world turned out to be pacifists with no interest in political power, as opposed to an organization that might, you know, plausibly exist. The Helghans might corrupt idiots lucky enough to develop a talent for war, but at least we have real world examples of that :v:.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

koolkevz666 posted:

So when the dossier states that Vekhta City was built to bridge two landmasses that surely means politically right? They didn't decide to build the city in the middle of the ocean or on top of a fault line or anything right?

eh heh. eh heh heh heh. ha. hahaha. ahaha. ah. Ha. Hahaha. Ahahahhaahaaa. Ha. Ha. HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!!!;';'^d^@£×

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
It's literally a city built on a dam. Go back and watch the beginning of the video where the camera flies around Vekta City... note the "waterfalls".

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

I just... I... There are no words for how incomprehensibly, egregiously, and grotesquely wasteful and stupid that looks.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Quoting myself from Discord:

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
I... uh... this won't end well, will it?

So. "Symbolism!"? And then double-plus "Symbolism!" when it inevitably escalates and both cities sink?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Templar's dead. Killzone games can no longer end well.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011

OutofSight posted:

future-nazi-gasmask fashion (there should be some german mega word for it)

Pretty sure the word you're looking for is "Kerberospanzermode".

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

eh heh. eh heh heh heh. ha. hahaha. ahaha. ah. Ha. Hahaha. Ahahahhaahaaa. Ha. Ha. HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!!!;';'^d^@£×

I do appreciate that Vekta City when viewed from above is basically an inverse Minas Tirith. Only half of it is also Mordor too. It really helps sell the "Helghast = Space Orcs" narrative.

Gymer
May 30, 2012
Helgans: We now have half of a beautiful garden world, let's turn it into a factory nightmare dystopia.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

nine-gear crow posted:

I do appreciate that Vekta City when viewed from above is basically an inverse Minas Tirith. Only half of it is also Mordor too. It really helps sell the "Helghast = Space Orcs" narrative.

It kinda looks like the sun is casting a shadow on the Helghast portion via the wall... kinda like some shadowf-

I'm not even mad, but I am kinda disappointed all the same.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Gymer posted:

Helgans: We now have half of a beautiful garden world, let's turn it into a factory nightmare dystopia.

You gotta settle in with what you're comfortable with.

More seriously, remember their insane ideology is all about 'HEY LIVING IN A SHITHOLE MADE US SUPERIOR!' so I guess they just instinctively build shitholes.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Blind Sally posted:

Okay wow, yeah not sure how I missed that. Also how is there a housing and population crisis look at all that open land behind the Helghan side of the city you could expand backwards and upwards into the hills and forest. It is the future we can do that now so it must be even easier for them.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
How many people managed to survive the whole planetary explosion thing anyway?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Lazy Bear posted:

I just... I... There are no words for how incomprehensibly, egregiously, and grotesquely wasteful and stupid that looks.

At least they don't have to worry about the city flooding if the drat bursts. Now the whole thing will have to come down.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah. The UCN itself is fairly large. We don't exactly know how large, but the big thing in the lore for the series is that the reason why Helghan and Vekta are so important is that they're literally the FTL hub of the human-colonized section of the galaxy. Anything going anywhere has to pass through Alpha Centauri on its way elsewhere or on its way to Earth.

This is a big part of how Vekta was able to buy its semi-autonomy from the UCN. They said to Earth "back off us a little more than the average colony and we'll keep the trade and transport routes open and not strangle you to death, AND we'll pay you seed money for the rest of your colonizing efforts out there in the Milky Way" and Earth grudgingly said fine.

There's only a few worlds we canonically know of in the series as being UCN colonies: Earth and Mars are populated in Sol. Vekta and Helghan in Alpha Centauri. Gyre in Altair. And then two colonies in unknown systems, Sorin and Zeronus. Vekta also has two moons (seen in the opening of Killzone 2) named Hope and Fortune that may or may not be inhabited as well. There's also another planet in Alpha Centauri A's Goldilocks Zone called Mefitis which is roughly as far from Vekta as Venus is from Earth, but again, no idea if it's either inhabited or terraformed ala Vekta.

So, I mean, obviously the best thing for the government to do after Helghan blew up, is to massively destabilize the remaining trade port on the main shipping lane.

Blind Sally posted:

Holy loving poo poo I was 100% right.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Erd posted:

Pretty sure the word you're looking for is "Kerberospanzermode".

Ausgezeichnet.

Did i miss something or do these developers don't know how planets work?
Planets are huge affairs. You can still give Helghans half of it and don't need to split your one capitol city in two halves.(Where your evacuated citizens are unfortunately murdered by gas mask mooks and existing infrastructure is torn down for some industrial hell hole.)

Just let them their own city and huge Visari statue elsewhere on your gardenworld (where you don't have to look on it every day).

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

OutofSight posted:

Planets are huge affairs. You can still give Helghans half of it and don't need to split your one capitol city in two halves.(Where your evacuated citizens are unfortunately murdered by gas mask mooks and existing infrastructure is torn down for some industrial hell hole.)

Just let them their own city and huge Visari statue elsewhere on your gardenworld (where you don't have to look on it every day).

You know how schools like to punish both students in any altercation equally, regardless of who's actually at fault? That's the UCN.

In fairness to them though, forcing the two sides to share a city is a great way to keep them locked in conflict so they can't start to challenge Earth; and who knows, maybe they'll blow up Vekta while fighting for it so Earth won't have to worry about planet-killing bombs being built by either party.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

White Coke posted:

At least they don't have to worry about the city flooding if the drat burstswhen the dam is inevitably blown up. Now the whole thing will have to come down.

FTFY

OutofSight posted:

Ausgezeichnet.

Gesundheit.

thetruegentleman posted:

You know how schools like to punish both students in any altercation equally, regardless of who's actually at fault? That's the UCN.

In fairness to them though, forcing the two sides to share a city is a great way to keep them locked in conflict so they can't start to challenge Earth; and who knows, maybe they'll blow up Vekta while fighting for it so Earth won't have to worry about planet-killing bombs being built by either party.

Yeah, I have a feeling this is a combination of the UCN locking two fighting kids in a room until they learn to get along, and also making sure the really rowdy kid is kept busy so that he doesn't start making pipe bombs again.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

OutofSight posted:

Ausgezeichnet.

I assume, charitably, that the idea is also they have to give them half their infrastructure rather than just dumping everyone in the wilderness.

This falls a bit flat when the Helghast are clearly a species of genetic idiot people because they consistently make the worst decisions possible for absolutely no good reason, such as you say, burning down their bit of the city and trying extremely hard to overpopulate the rubble.

How the hell they managed to even have spaceships I don't know.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lazy Bear posted:

If people behaved rationally, it wouldn't be Killzone.