Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Do universities typically hire presidents without advanced degrees?

I don't know if he has an advanced degree, but Youngstown State hired Jim Tressel, who was a big name. In a role whose largest responsibility is to keep the money flowing, then fame often outweighs experience or education.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

General Dog posted:

I stand firm in my belief that the best thing the NCAA can do is stay in its lane and keep its nose out of this. They can't even do the things that are within their purview, like academic scandals right, how the hell are they supposed to navigate something like this?

I agree. Let the legal system, which has subpoena power, uncover all the facts alongside good journalism and then make a decision. An NCAA investigation is toothless and nothing more than grandstanding, especially since Emmert was informed about this 8 years ago.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

You know it wasn't exclusively Olympic caliber athletes he was assaulting?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

EvanTH posted:

You'll have a hard time convincing me that every homeschooled kid I ever met wasn't a weirdo with social problems in always the same kind of way, and the ones whose parents hired special trainers for the fringe sports weren't a distinct subset.

You know that guy's just extra angry because he ignored his daughters' hints that they didn't want to be doing all the activities he was pressuring them into doing. Going violent with the guilt doesn't make him world's greatest dad to me.

the way people fetishize extrajudicial punishment ("hell yeah now the bad guy will get BEATEN and RAPED in jail!!") is somewhere between childish and evil

So is assuming anything about that guy and his parenting.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

runoverbobby posted:

That means he won't be held in contempt of court. A prosecutor could still charge him with assault.

Frankly, it would be warranted. I empathize with Charging Father because of what he has gone through, but he violently attacked someone in a courtroom full of people who were victims of a violent male attacker. He probably scared some people out of their minds, in a setting and situation where they are quite vulnerable. Hey look - it's another man who can't control himself and thinks he's allowed to attack people because "I want to".

I doubt he gets charged. Part of the calculus on going forward with actual charges is the chance of winning the case in trial, and good luck getting all 12 jurors to say guilty.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

How dare that man in his rage and furor not consider the consequences his actions will have on gender politics?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

They're referencing some old FBI report about how the FBI's sex crimes against children unit found star trek fan stuff at basically every offenders house and on their computers. It was so consistent that they were completely at a loss to explain it.

Yeah, basically they were trying build a profile and "Star Trek fan" was one box that was overwhelmingly ticked. I think they even tried to adjust for certain things and even then they couldn't explain it as anything other than "well, if you like diddling kids you are gonna love Kirk vs. Picard debates too".

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Niwrad posted:

The NCAA and schools would have cared if it was students getting free tattoos.

John Amaechi told a story about how he would grab coffee in the mornings from the coaches office and the NCAA compliance officer found him and told him it was a violation. His point was that if they can track how much coffee you are drinking and where its coming from, its unfathomable that nobody knew about Nassar.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

The only effect a death penalty on gymnastics would have is a modest bump in womens basketball and softball teams funding.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

DJExile posted:

I could definitely see the former. The latter's gonna be tough because Michigan's laws are such that state funding to a school starts to recede if they raise tuition past a certain point.

This basically becomes a game of "beg, borrow, and steal". I'd imagine some of their deeper-pocketed alumni will put together a rather quiet foundation to help defray some of it. They can also ask state funding to help with the payments, likely with state oversight on how they're fixing their own rules and procedures to prevent this from happening again.

Basically there isn't gonna be one single source to all of it, nor could there really be even if they wanted. I'm sure more is going to come out in the coming days and weeks as the details of the settlement structure are hammered out.

It won't be quiet, it will be intentionally mislabeled as some charity to help victims of sexual abuse. Alumni and others will be donating to it thinking its to help with therapy and giving resources to vistims of sexual assault, except its going to go straight into the settlement.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

runoverbobby posted:

Is that really mislabeling it? If donations go into the settlement, that's a direct conveyance of resources to victims of sexual assault.

There is a difference between charity and a legally enforced payment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I know this seems like a completely unrelated topic, but a good lawyer could successfully argue that the NCAA does not represent the best interests of student athletes, and that a union is necessary to ensure the safety and health of student athletes.