Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
We'll need to be extra careful to cover this up now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

jit bull transpile posted:

like, my mind is seriously boggled by the argument that it's too extreme a move to fire all the people who ignored or gave shelter to a child molestor.

I don't think that's the argument though, everyone has been really supportive of canning those involved. I don't think MSU's gymnastics program is all that many dedicated employees vs the number of students that would be affected, and I don't know much about college gymnastics but I don't think its the kind of thing where its easy to just go out and find scholarships at other schools.

Plus, who involved is still there? The President, AD, Medical dean have all resigned/been fired. If there are others I think it makes sense to continue to root out who knew anything and press charges. Closing down gymnastics wouldn't clear out others in the Athletic Department anyway. It seems like shutting down the program would hardly affect anyone who may have been involved and DEFINITELY hurt a bunch of students who were not involved at all.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Getting sexually assaulted to own the libs.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Punishment of anything bigger than one person is gonna effect others, maybe even innocent people.

You have to accept that or just not bother doing anything.

What? Our legal system is built on the idea that it is far more important to let guilty people go than punish an innocent. "You gotta hurt innocents to maybe hurt guilty people" is total garbage.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The FBI and local law enforcement hosed up the investigation, not the NCAA

quote:

“In particular, investigators are interested in the Indianapolis FBI office’s 2015 dealings with the gymnasts, a person familiar with the matter said. Around September 2015, an agent in the field office spoke with former Olympian McKayla Maroney over the phone—rather than in person—to discuss her allegations of abuse by Nassar. That conversation didn’t lead to an investigation.”

quote:

Local law enforcement in Michigan has had its share of failures in the Nassar case so it’s not like they’ve been perfect, either. First, there was the 2004 Meridian Township investigation that started with a complaint from Brianne Randall (now Randall-Gay) and ended with Nassar showing the detectives a Power Point presentation claiming he had performed a legitimate treatment without bothering to consult an expert that wasn’t the accused.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Kapernick, notable for not having any repercussions from the sports world for exercising his rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Sounds like he might get canned soon.

https://deadspin.com/reports-msu-board-of-trustees-will-vote-to-fire-interi-1831810185