Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
One other thing, as this unfolds.

Outside The Lines is eviscerating Michigan State this week, including Tom Izzo and Mark Dantonio. Michigan State covered up a lot of assaults outside of Nassar.

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/22214566/pattern-denial-inaction-information-suppression-michigan-state-goes-larry-nassar-case-espn

Someone earlier described it as Penn State and Baylor combined.

The actual E60 documentary is coming on Sunday morning, 9 am. Just the preview article was damning enough to get MSU AD Mark Hollis to resign.

----

Also, Michigan State men's basketball is hosting Wisconsin tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
SC6 is airing the OTL report on Michigan State.

It's way, way worse with this. It's not getting better.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Michigan State football players had a competition system for their gangrapes.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

GobiasIndustries posted:

Whenever I can watch the OTL segment online someone please post the link. I don't wanna watch this but I'd be a loving hypocrite if I don't read/watch/listen to as many of these reports as possible.
e: I've read the article
http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/22214566/pattern-denial-inaction-information-suppression-michigan-state-goes-larry-nassar-case-espn

The full OTL segment will be Sunday morning. They ran about half of it on Sports Center at 6 p.m., and then had a panel discussion.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

It was in the OTL report. Basically, they had codenames for different girls that were talked about and compared in team meetings.

ESPN has video of a player admitting what they did, and not thinking anything was wrong, because everyone did it.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Is Michigan State going to reform their university and fix their problems, or worry more about sports rivalry bullshit?

https://twitter.com/ChadLivengood/status/957619580716945408

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

EvanTH posted:

wanna go on record saying I've thought gymnastics were creepy as poo poo for years, basically since every olympics where NBC runs promo videos glowing about how great the Karolyis are for requiring 16 hour work days from preteen girls who'd been signed away by very strange parents

Me too.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

DC Murderverse posted:

the E:60 special that aired this morning has clips from videos that Nassar made about treating athletes and they were deeply disturbing given the context we now have, but before all this happened he was just like a cool doctor dude who spent all his time prodding the pelvises of teenage girls

Who Michigan State couldn't stop giving adulation to.

Talking with some people close to the situation, he was not unanimously approved by the hiring committee, and some people were overruled to give him his position.

They also wanted to give him some distinguished Spartan helmet on the field during a football game.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
https://twitter.com/brendatracy24/status/957779156787277824

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Henchman of Santa posted:

For anyone who doesn't know, Brenda Tracy was raped by Oregon State players in the early 2000s and now goes around the country working with coaches and their teams (including Mike Riley recently) on how not to be a rapist/perpetuate rape culture.

I could definitely buy that Izzo doesn't know how bad it is considering he keeps putting his foot in his mouth. His public takes on the whole situation have been very much what I would expect from a well-meaning aging rich guy who lives in a bubble.

https://twitter.com/brendatracy24/status/957786081222520832

https://www.theringer.com/features/2017/11/6/16599528/brenda-tracy-advocate-against-college-football-rape-culture

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Mike Valenti is calling ESPN's piece a "hit job" and is attacking the MSU social worker for being mean to Dantonio and Izzo.

And now claiming that the criticism is just coming from Michigan fans.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

C411 posted:

How did Mike Valenti react to them not wanting to hire a Michigan Man as their next president to fix these problems?

I don't think that topic came up.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
This is great stuff.

http://mgoblog.com/content/looking-internally-aftermath-msu

AsInHowe fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 1, 2018

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

GobiasIndustries posted:

Just want to say it’s good that at least someone other than Nassar is getting off on this scandal.

Did you even read the column?

Basically, four things that caused the entire situation.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
His only problem was that he talked about going after Nassar before charging him. The officers were ready to grab him. Could've gotten a good swing or two in if he had that extra second.

https://twitter.com/Local4News/status/959432226214735872

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
http://wlns.com/2018/01/22/twistars-owner-required-gymnasts-to-see-nassar-for-treatment-victims-say/

Twistars owner required gymnasts to see Nassar for treatment, victims say

This is really bad. Female gymnasts were required to only get treatment from Nassar. Not the male gymnasts, obviously.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

sportsgenius86 posted:

Do we know they were high level? I was under the impression that even some rec level competitors in the East Lansing area went to him for treatment.

They all weren't. The link I just posted in from the local gym that had Nassar on staff.

If you were even a rec-level gymnast in mid-Michigan, you were in Nassar's circle.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
This is the dumbest derail ever.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

cis autodrag posted:

It's directly relevant. Sorry it stresses you out that people are discussing toxic power behavior in a thread about a crime enabled by toxic power behavior.

You're blaming victims and secondary victims for their reactions to the person who harmed them, you idiot.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

cis autodrag posted:

No, we're saying that angry dad is performing behavior that probably made his daughter's trauma worse because he thought it would make him feel better. You're just too deep into your hosed up patriarchal thought structure to understand how your dad having a violent outburst might make you feel worse and not better.

And I'm not calling you names so why don't you knock that poo poo off.

It didn't make his daughter's trauma worse. Stop philosophizing victim blaming.

Also, calling you an idiot for spouting nonsense escalated you to profanities? You idiot.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

cis autodrag posted:

If you have a rebuttal, post it instead of grandstanding and slinging insults. You don't get to shut down discussion just because it's threatening to your worldview.

A rebuttal was already posted, idiot.

You're the one shutting down legitimate discussion by having the dumbest possible opinion, and insisting on a stupid detail of nonsense.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

iwentdoodie posted:

And in this thread making GBS threads on a man for his horrible actions, we see someone further on that side come in to tell everyone why they're also wrong.

The left truly loving does eat itself alive.

*nods*

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
If only there were more warning signs that Larry Nassar might be a pedophile.

quote:

Larry Nassar boasted that people called him "the body whisperer" because of his close connections with his patients, according to a 2014 police report.

"Most of the time my eyes are closed ... Use the force, you feel it," Nassar told a detective investigating him after a young woman said he sexually abused her. "It is a conceptual thing. It is you, the patient, and the spirit."

Nassar's comment came as part of a Michigan State University Police report looking into Amanda Thomashow's claim that he sexually assaulted her in March 2014.

quote:

Nassar said this was a normal procedure that he performed on everyone, whether 10 years old or 84 years old, according to the police report. He brought his computer to the police interview and showed the detective videos in which he performs the procedure, which he claimed could fix any number of physical injuries.

"I can fix their rib by touching their bottom," he claimed, according to the police report.

In Michigan State University's Title IX investigation, Nassar said that he had a PowerPoint presentation dedicated to the procedure. One of the slides contained "Star Trek" images and was entitled, "Pelvic floor: Where no man has gone before," according to the Title IX report.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/01/us/larry-nassar-police-interview/index.html

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Crazy Ted posted:

Well OF loving COURSE the pehophile also turned out to be a Trekkie.

As soon as the Star Trek slides came up on Nassar's presentation, the officers should've arrested him from there. It's the smoking gun.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I assumed the charges, when that guy originally got arrested without the charges listed, would be for simple neglect over Nassar.

I did not think it would be that the guy was ALSO a rapist pedophile.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

cis autodrag posted:

Hey, remember what I said before about it being institutions and not individuals that make this level of harm possible?

Literally institutionally transferring the consequences of mass rape onto the most vulnerable. Burn your institutions.

Counterpoint.

The Go Blue Guarantee helps kids afford college.

Escalating costs have made college an unattainable dream for many low- and middle-income students. But U-M’s new Go Blue Guarantee is taking some students one step closer to realizing that dream. The program, launched this semester, offers four years of free tuition to in-state students on the Ann Arbor campus whose families earn $65,000 or less and have less than $50,000 in assets.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Oh and it was still going on after they arrested Nassar

Just shut down the whole school, distribute its assets to all directional Michigans.

Welcome to the Big Ten, Grand Valley State.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

cis autodrag posted:

Whelp, better not fix anything ever then

Better just let the pedophiles go, and let them reform in another group, with a different name

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Maybe we could get the account paying for social media tracking emptied to pay victims??

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
https://twitter.com/ChadLivengood/status/979192361531166720

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Great to see that our top medical doctors don't know the difference between intra- and inter-.

Literally the dumbest perverts in this case.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

howe_sam posted:

Did MSU even ask Granholm if she wanted the interim job? Seems like she would've been a better choice for a host of reasons.

She's a Democrat, certain groups of people would hate that.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

ElwoodCuse posted:

The most recent number of Sandusky victims getting settlements I could find was "over 30". THREE HUNDRED THIRTY TWO?!

And there may still be more to come out.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

GobiasIndustries posted:

Yeah it's a hell of a lot easier to sexually assault people when you're a medical doctor and thus touching your victims is assumed to be 'just part of the examination'. And also when you strategically arrange your office so that you can assault them without the parents knowing.

e: and when you're moving around the nation as opposed to just staying in Happy Vally, PA.

I feel gross even typing that :smith:

Also, when major institutions are referring patients to you, specifying penalties towards the patients if they see any other doctors.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Timby posted:

The alumni foundation is going to start the mother of all "MSU is in trouble, please help" fundraising campaigns.

Tom Izzo can't get out of the NCAA tournament's first weekend, and only your pledge can help him move on.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Niwrad posted:

What a bunch of disgusting human beings.

quote:

Engler: Maybe "leprechaun" will pay for MSU settlement
Updated: May 17, 2018 07:16 PM EDT

LANSING - The president of Michigan State University says he’ll get whatever help he can find to pay a $500 million dollar legal settlement with more than 300 women abused by a Spartan doctor.

The university announced on Wednesday it had reached a tentative settlement with the survivors of Dr. Larry Nassar. The former MSU and USA Gymnastics doctor abused patients for years under the guise of treatment.

That’s despite women who say they reported the abuse to university officials and a Title IX investigation into Nassar.

Now the question is where MSU will get the money to pay the settlement. Insurance companies will contribute some of the money, but the university appears to be on the hook for most of it.

Asked if he planned to raise tuition to make the payment, Engler replied “Actually, what we're hoping to do is find a leprechaun,” he joked. “No, I mean seriously, we have not made those decisions."

6 News was the only station to catch up with Engler, a former governor, at the Capitol on Thursday as he briefed lawmakers on the settlement.

http://www.wlns.com/news/engler-maybe-leprechaun-will-pay-for-msu-settlement/1185829421

Yeah.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

elentar posted:

Engler is such a belligerently stupid rear end in a top hat.
https://twitter.com/brown_e_points/status/998577935543128064

I hope Engler personally costs Michigan State $1 billion or more, just because he's a stupid rear end in a top hat.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
The phrasing is getting at what you expect. Engler's entire tone towards the victims has been "these greedy women are crying rape to get our money". Not the first time he's said things like that.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Michigan's only clean rival is Minnesota now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Bird in a Blender posted:

And that's like not even half of the actual victims right?

140 out of 350+, I think.