Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It really is loving horrifying. In all of this, it's absolutely sickening that no one, at any point, said "poo poo, how do we support the victims?"

All of this could have been avoided had they taken appropriate action a long time ago, but instead, they just chose to cover it up and cover it up and cover it up and cover it up, and the issue just grew and grew and grew until something had to give. After watching the segment that aired on Sports Center, I honestly hope these pieces of poo poo are made an example of and nailed to the loving wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

jit bull transpile posted:

I can't help but feel like you've been moving the goalposts quite a bit, but let respond like this:

if you restart a program after only a year, how do you ensure that the wider university culture that has allowed the bad program to fester has been addressed? Many of the people at the edges (deans, athletic dept chairs outside of the specific sport, campus police, etc) are still going to be there. I believe this would lead to a "wait it out" attitude where the university has no need to actually seriously examine itself and correct its culture before rebuilding a program.

i would rather that a program restoration post-death-penalty have a clearly defined set of steps that the university must complete to regain approval. a non-comprehensive list of things I can think of that might be a good start are:
  • Mandatory interviews with all personnel (in any department, even outside the sports programs) by a neutral third party to identify individuals who should receive either training or be fired.
  • Mandatory overhauls around school policies for reporting and investigation of sexual assault, discipline of faculty and students found to have perpetrated sexual assault.
  • Expansion of campus rape crisis and counseling services.
  • Heavily expanded background checks for personal who will have contact with students outside of a classroom.

There's probably more stuff you could think of easily. Honestly my posts itt to this point have been pretty flippant because I thought it would just be self-evident to people that a program that systematically enables the assembly line-like rape of its students needs to be pulled up by the roots but I guess I have a bad habit of assuming people fill in the blanks the same way I do.

I don't think a university should be banned from doing a sport for 10,000 years or whatever. But I do think that they should have to prove they've made an ironclad best effort to make it a "never ever again" situation. If a school is a repeat offender after going through this process though? Burn that poo poo down for real.

I'd add
  • Mandatory probationary period of X years (depending on severity of the offence), in which the athletics department is closely monitored by an appropriate body.
  • A third party of the student's choice to be present at all contact with department staff in one-on-one sessions (so in a situation like one where monsters like Nasser or Sandusky took advantage of kids, there would be a neutral third party there to observe and report).

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

General Dog posted:

Under that logic, should this apply for scandals that don't have anything to do with sports or the athletic department at all? (Not saying you'd be wrong)

No, your argument here doesn't actually make sense. He's saying the institution itself covering up sexual assault of varying flavours of horrific in the athletics department should be a "gently caress off out of the NCAA."

Unless you can establish a clear link between the athletics programme and, hypothetically, the department of hypothetics juking exam scores to raise their pass-rate with tacit or even outright involvement from the institution itself, why would the NCAA be involved? That'll end up being an entirely different kettle of fish.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

AsInHowe posted:

What also isn't covered is that this happened so long ago technologically, Nassar had to grab a friend to be the cameraman for the assault.

It's like the world's worst game of one-ups-man-ship.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

String the rest of these loving monsters up. gently caress them, I hope they have the book thrown at them.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Every time MSU does something to make us all go "well, they couldn't have handled this any worse," it's like they take it as a challenge and try to outdo themselves in a game of one-downmanship.

At this point, I'm wondering if it's going to end with MSU changing their school motto to some sort of pro-rape screed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Christ, is there anyone in Michigan that wasn't involved in the cover-up at this point?