Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So is this the official SAS thread for the topic? One was created in D&D and I've been posting there too and because it also covers football and basketball at MSU it's been leaking into those threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Crazy Ted posted:

Also, these gems were in MSU President Simon's resignation letter:

"I did nothing wrong, but if you all want to blame me then fine I quit. Also I am a victim here too."

She's also getting a number of lifetime perks and hundreds of thousands of dollars for resigning in the midst of this.

Her golden parachute is loving disgusting. If she wants to stay on as a faculty member (she probably will and I hope she gets blocked from this) she will get 750k her first year and after that her salary is already more than literally every other faculty member, double that of anyone else with a degree in her field. And then yeah there's all the benefits like lifetime tickets to major athletic events, bowl games, parking, etc.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Whenever I can watch the OTL segment online someone please post the link. I don't wanna watch this but I'd be a loving hypocrite if I don't read/watch/listen to as many of these reports as possible.
e: I've read the article
http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/22214566/pattern-denial-inaction-information-suppression-michigan-state-goes-larry-nassar-case-espn

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

I'm just going to assume that it's similar to how, in Geraldo's memoir (yes that Geraldo) he bragged about winning the first opportunity to gently caress some random girl that showed up at his house in college before the rest of his roommates, who also hosed the girl before he got back in there (yes this was really in his book). No I do not think this is OK in any way shape or form.

e: just for context
https://www.thedailybeast.com/geraldo-riveras-1991-memoir-is-a-fck-fest-filled-bible-of-workplace-harassment

quote:

Today, I would be filled with rescue fantasies for this creature: then, all I wanted to do was outperform my roommates. I announced I would be first up, leading the girl into my bedroom and silently marveling at the good fortune that had smiled on our home. Later that evening, when my turn came up again, I took some time to talk with her. Pat. I think her name was Pat. She was a little on the slim side. Something about her reminded me of the daughter who loses her baby near the end of The Grapes of Wrath.
It was demeaning, degrading, and dishonorable, and I was in the middle of it. Any man of conscience would have tried to talk some sense into this girl, but not me, not then.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 27, 2018

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Adun posted:

At this point I wouldn’t be surprised if any and every major college athletics program had was complicit in a cover up. For god’s sake this happened in gymnastics of all sports and not a revenue generating sport

Gymnastics is like the platonic ideal for pedo predator doctors.

e: you're not wrong re: most universities having cover-ups, but the revenue generating sports are way more likely to have assaulters rather than have staff assault them.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Anals of History posted:

John Engler, former MI Gov, is going to be interim President for MSU. His enduring legacy in the state was in almost completely dismantling social services. I'm sure he'll do a great job supporting the Title IX office.

:suicide: not even gonna bother with the whole 'maybe they'll find someone actually good' thing because lol that is a loving terrible pick.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Just want to say it’s good that at least someone other than Nassar is getting off on this scandal.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

General Dog posted:

Not all trekkies are pedophiles, but all pedophiles are trekkies

:hai: sad but true.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
MSU is firing their medical dean
https://www.reuters.com/article/gym...l-idUSL2N1PZ1VM

quote:

Feb 9 (Reuters) - Michigan State University is moving to fire a dean who it said had failed to enforce 2014 guidelines created for sports doctor Larry Nassar in treating young athletes after complaints of sexual misconduct against him.

Interim Michigan State University President John Engler said in a memo on Friday he would ask a faculty panel to revoke tenure for Dr. William Strampel, who oversaw the college where Nassar worked but has been on medical leave since December.

According to the university memo posted on its website, Strampel did not sufficiently communicate with others or enforce 2014 guidelines put in place for Nassar when performing osteopathic manipulation in sensitive areas. One of those guidelines included having another person present, the Lansing State Journal reported.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Crazy Ted posted:

Now it's USA Swimming's turn in the crosshairs

God damnit :smith: As soon as the Nassar stuff started picking up steam I had that sinking feeling that swimming was coming down the pipe sooner rather than later. I've been a swimmer all my life, taught lessons and coached during the summer....everything just sucks.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
not a whole lot of public updates recently but just saw this zoom into my twitter feed.

:(
https://twitter.com/DanWetzel/status/978630778262360064

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
:psyduck:
https://twitter.com/OliviaMesser/status/979021933848203264

quote:

EAST LANSING - A public relations firm billed MSU for more than $500,000 for January as it tracked social media activity surrounding the Larry Nassar case, which often included the accounts of victims and their families, journalists, celebrities and politicians.

The work, which also included collecting and evaluating news articles, had previously been done by members of Michigan State University's Office of Communication and Brand Strategy, some of whom continued to do so in January.

The work by Weber Shandwick, a New York-based firm, totaled $517,343 for more than 1,440 hours of work, according to documents obtained through a public records request. The firm billed for work done by 18 different employees, whose hourly rates ranged from $200 to $600 per hour. Five of those employees billed MSU for more than $50,000, including one who billed for $96,900 and another who billed for $120,893.

Weber Shandwick no longer works with the university, an MSU spokeswoman said. She did not provide a reason and referred comment to the firm. A message seeking comment from Weber Shandwick wasn't immediately returned.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
:gonk:
https://twitter.com/johnmanly/status/981213523836469248

quote:

Detailed in the report were searches including the following:

"pelvic floor manipulations in athletes"
"Legal use of medical exam gloves"
"Is it illegal not to use gloves with intervaginal manipulations"
"Intravaginal manipulations for back pain"
"Pubic Hair Removal Demonstration (18+) YouTube"
"Vaginal massage"
"Is it illegal not to use gloves with intravaginal manipulations"

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
i hate my alma mater so much right now, every at every loving turn they have handled this the exact wrong way jesus christ

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
That's an average of 1.5m per victim :stare: Good. Sorry about your tuition hikes, future Spartans.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

ElwoodCuse posted:

The most recent number of Sandusky victims getting settlements I could find was "over 30". THREE HUNDRED THIRTY TWO?!

Yeah it's a hell of a lot easier to sexually assault people when you're a medical doctor and thus touching your victims is assumed to be 'just part of the examination'. And also when you strategically arrange your office so that you can assault them without the parents knowing.

e: and when you're moving around the nation as opposed to just staying in Happy Vally, PA.

I feel gross even typing that :smith:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Niwrad posted:

There will be some eye rolling hashtag too like #MSUcares

Yeah as an alumnus I'm expecting some extremely tone-deaf poo poo like this to find its way into my inbox in the coming months.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
:cripes:
https://twitter.com/dhmontgomery/status/997540598805618689

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Jettison Engler ASAP, please. Preferably onto a busy freeway or into the sun.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Dejan Bimble posted:

Let's agree to stop molesting kids for a year or two god drat

for as much as I would prefer no more molestation stories, it's good that this absolutely monstrous behavior is finally getting exposed, if nothing else. Always more, always worse, etc but bringing it into the public is the only possible way things will change.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1015302876414046208

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
locker room talk, nothing to see here
https://twitter.com/feliciasonmez/status/1015356793428553728

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

like, 10 minutes after the 4th accuser report dropped, the WH press corps dropped this quote from AF1, lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1020360208244264963