Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I stand firm in my belief that the best thing the NCAA can do is stay in its lane and keep its nose out of this. They can't even do the things that are within their purview, like academic scandals right, how the hell are they supposed to navigate something like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

When people debate what the NCAA response should be to something like this, it reminds me of Dave Chappelle's bit about MTV feeling the need to get Ja Rule's thoughts about the 9/11 attacks.

edit: or better yet, this Spencer Hall piece he wrote about NCAA sanctions against PSU pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter.

quote:

What would I have the NCAA do here? Absolutely poo poo-nothing. After all, it's what they do most of the time. Ideally, I'd like them to evaporate overnight, and simply cease to exist. That will not happen, so I would instead like them to admit what they're doing: stabbing a corpse, and then demanding some public recognition of their ersatz bravery. I would like them to admit they are seizing a horrific moment in time to advance their own fartgassy agenda, and then demanding credit for it. They will burn an effigy after the courts have already done the hard work of humanity.

They will not do any of this. The NCAA's punishments serve no purpose, solve no problems, and prevent nothing. They represent an organization desperate for relevance seizing the moment to poach some kind of sinister power-up from this moment. They will -- and did -- suggest the "children" are the reason for the reach, and do so without openly guffawing or flinching from the shame a normal, moral person would feel at that moment. They will use the word "culture" to defend what they do, mostly because using that word allows you to make up whatever you like without evidence, justification, or data.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 29, 2018

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I'm sure it will be an incredible deterrent, just like the literal death penalty.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Sky Shadowing posted:

I'm going to side with Valenti here and point out that there is a burden of proof when you go at people that so far the article doesn't quite meet. The Payne and Appling story went all the way to the Ingham County Prosecutor, who not only said there was not enough to press charges, but that there was no crime. Dantonio dropped his nuts on the table for ESPN to smash with the hammer of proof, believing they don't have anything concrete. Dunning, the prosecutor at the time (not his assistant who was the woman hired at MSU) allegedly had a reputation for going after MSU athletes. Appling and Payne was investigated by the MSUPD, which is not a university-run police department. In addition the feds and the state already investigated MSU's Title IX investigation of Appling and Payne and concluded MSU was slow to investigate but the investigation was properly done.

I think it would be appropriate at this point for everyone to keep their nuts put away

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Couldn't they just get somebody with no ties to the situation and a little less baggage, like Ian McCaw or the Tennessee guy?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I don't think the two really have anything to do with each other beyond just making a glib observation about priorities.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oePcYRixyOk

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Also not to paint with broad strokes, but it's safe to assume that a man with multiple daughters in high-level gymnastics is probably among the worst people in the world, at least top 10% (albeit not the worst person in that room at that time).

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

swickles posted:

You know it wasn't exclusively Olympic caliber athletes he was assaulting?

I didn't say Olymipic caliber

Korranus posted:

Even lovely stage parents don't deserve to have their daughters molested.

I agree

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Did this guy never sleep? I don't understand how there were enough hours in the day for him to touch this many people.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Not all trekkies are pedophiles, but all pedophiles are trekkies

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The coverup is always worse than the crime

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

If they were really good at it, this story wouldn't exist

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Weird, wild stuff

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

If we could just tear down our institutions and start over, I'm sure things would work out differently the next time around.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

axeil posted:

Isn't "lack of institutional control" the justification the NCAA uses to death penalty a program?

I mean they won't do it because they have major financial incentives not to. This scandal is absolutely horrifying.

I mean, what do they death penalty? Just the girl's gymnastics team? Hell, the guy just arrested wasn't an employee of the athletic department at all. As far as I know, the NCAA has never death penaltied an entire athletic department; I don't know if they even have an apparatus to do so. I guess there's something on the books for outright expulsion from the NCAA, but that's so far outside the realm of possibility it's not really even worth wasting brain waves on.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Dawg, have you ever heard of incognito mode?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

Great piece using this as a jumping off point for how colleges prey on loyalty
https://deadspin.com/how-big-colleges-prey-on-fan-loyalty-to-fight-back-agai-1823903554

quote:

A school like Michigan State has so much power over such a wide swath of people that it can direct those fans in any direction it chooses. That could be toward positive action, or it could amount to lighting a fire and watching it burn.

It I don't believe a school can "direct them in any direction it chooses," fandom is inherently reactionary.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

cis autodrag posted:

This in and of itself is so hosed up. Those in power don't view it as rewarding work to put to a stop a horrifying culture of rape and secrecy.

It's a thankless, futile, 24-7 ultra-helljob, and I'm not going to blame anyone for not wanting to get nailed to that particular cross.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

When you're looking at having to pony up half a billion, I'm not sure what else you can say

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

mdemone posted:

I guess so, but that phrasing really smelled like "nobody reported it from 1997 to 2016 but now we've got 332 complaints over the last two years, hmmm isn't that funny..."

I think he's saying Nassar was such a skilled molester that he could do it in front a a girl's mom and neither would even realize anything had happened. Like those David Blaine street magic youtubes.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Her name is Kerry Perry?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Is Rivals calling it "Mammogram State" yet?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Protip: if you're looking for the NCAA to save you, you're already dead.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The two are indeed the same; the NCAA was wrong to step outside of their purview and punish Penn State in the manner that they did, and they would be wrong to do so with Michigan State.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I only believe in the death penalty for individuals, personally

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Bootcha posted:

The thing is we're not talking about an isolated part of a niche sport administration that colluded in this horror, it was large chunks of not just the athletic department but of the college institution itself.

And I'll agree that punishment should not be doled out by the NCAA alone, but holy gently caress when the institution itself goes out of its way to cover poo poo up, that should be grounds for a "you cannot participate in the NCAA" death penalty.

Under that logic, should this apply for scandals that don't have anything to do with sports or the athletic department at all? (Not saying you'd be wrong)

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Bootcha posted:

At what point do we consider this isn't a MSU problem so much as a NCAA problem?

Seriously, I'm all for a MSU death penalty, but something about this just screams the NCAA denying federal involvement just for the sake of the NCAA mechanics remaining in place without oversight, oversight being what the NCAA is supposed to do in the loving first place.

At what point do we shift from "Burn MSU to the ground" to "Burn the NCAA to the ground"?

What are you talking about? The NCAA seems to be fulfilling its duty in this matter, which is to stay the gently caress out of the way.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Vertical Lime posted:

always more

always worse

Well you know what they say, the coverup is always worse than the crime

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

skaboomizzy posted:

I know it's not the biggest point in all this, and I know I've brought it up before, but I hope the USA gymnasts demand to compete under the IOC flag instead of the USA flag because those fuckers at the USOC don't deserve to get a single bit of credit or acclaim from their efforts. I hope Simone Byles and the rest of them win all the medals and the national anthem never plays for any of it.

They'd get loving crucified

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I think the main problem is why would anyone qualified to be president of MSU want to be president of MSU right now?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

AsInHowe posted:

There's a segment of the MSU fanbase, the Kid Rock segment, that supports MSU purely for conservative trolling.

Current scandal aside, is there something inherently conservative about Michigan State?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The fine is pretty much a drop in the bucket next to the victim settlements